Who could you do without?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cogito
Here's the deal. Marvel and/or DC decide it's time for a beloved hero to die -- permanently. It goes to a vote, and whoever loses dies forever (except perhaps an occasional flashback). They have no chance of ever coming back from the dead, and nobody will take up their mantle (e.g. Dick becoming Batman). They will, essentially, become a forgotten character.

Who would you vote off?

Marvel
Thor
Iron Man
Captain America
Spiderman
The Hulk

DC
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash (all of them, in this case)
Green Lantern (all of the Earth GLs)

Scenario 1: Pick one from either Marvel or DC
Scenario 2: One from each company must go

Who do you choose, and why?

Silent Master
I vote for Wolverine.

Cogito
I made a very conscious decision not to include him

stick out tongue

the ninjak
1. Superman.
2. no Supes and ...........I guess Cap. crybaby

-Pr-
Marvel: Iron Man

Purely because I just like the others more.

DC: Wonder Woman

Again, it's just a case of liking the others more. Almost chose the Flash, but poor Wally needs a break.

What does scenario 2 mean?

JayDaDon
I'd pick hulk before iron man in a heartbeat. IM is one of the best characters in marvel IMO and i like marvel's trinity a little more than dc's. For dc I'd say superman. I just don't see any more potential left in the character. Like all his best stories have been told. As a character, and as an icon. If he truly died and never came back it would leave a huge impact. They could send him off on a high note and lay the legend of superman to rest. That is if I absolutely had to pick someone from DC.

Stoic
Originally posted by -Pr-
Marvel: Iron Man

Purely because I just like the others more.

DC: Wonder Woman

Again, it's just a case of liking the others more. Almost chose the Flash, but poor Wally needs a break.

Yep, I feel pretty much the same way, but it was a toss up between Wonder Woman and the Flash.

Cogito

Scenario 1 is that one character from either Marvel or DC needs to die, Scenario 2 is that one from each has to go.

srankmissingnin
Captain America and Batman, because even if their proteges aren't allowed to take up their names and mantles, we've already seen that given the opportunity writers can write better stories with those characters (Dick / Bucky) in place of Steve and Bruce when they are given the free space and creative control to maneuver.

abhilegend
I like them all. Damn you cogito.uhuh

Greysen93
Marvel: Probably Iron Man
DC: I'd have to say Wonder Woman

Newjak
This is a tough one but I'll go

1)Wonder Woman

2) Marvel: The Hulk, DC: Wonder Woman

It's close though.

CosmicComet
1. Batman
2. Batman and Hulk

Cogito
For me, the first one out from either company would have to be Spiderman. He's a classic, but I just don't care for the street/meta scene that much.

From DC I'd have to axe Flash. It's not really his fault, but his potential power is just so ridiculously high that if he operated at those levels it'd be stupid, but on the other hand when he gets nailed by streets and metas it's just painful to read.

JayDaDon
^ lol dude your killin me! If they killed off spidey for good I'd probably be done with marvel. Eh that's just me though... Definitely see your point with flash.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
Scenario 1 is that one character from either Marvel or DC needs to die, Scenario 2 is that one from each has to go.

I still have to pick from your list?

CosmicComet
The Flash shouldn't die.

He should just perma-merge with the speed force and become some omnipresent abstract force, and just never be heard from again outside big events.

That way we dont have to see shit like Grundy managing to punch him.

Cogito
I still have to pick from your list?

I made a list so that people would have to choose oft-beloved characters.

Otherwise everyone would just say Wolverine or Rhino or random fodder #4 or whatever.

Cogito
Originally posted by CosmicComet
The Flash shouldn't die.

He should just perma-merge with the speed force and become some omnipresent abstract force, and just never be heard from again outside big events.

That way we dont have to see shit like Grundy managing to punch him.

mmm

Maybe it would be interesting to have people choose how they die/go away forever

MF DELPH
Hulk and Supes. There's already capable replacements for both. Hulk would be missed less in the big picture, and the death of Superman would force the other heroes in general to step their game up as they are more than capable but are always forced to defer to Kal.

Digi
I took the view of the company, and which one they'd want to get rid of. My own personal tastes (I'd off Hulk and WW, no questions) are much less interesting, imo.

Captain America draws the least sales and has marginalized marketability outside the US. I feel like DC would be loathe to break up the Big 3, despite WW being the obvious financial choice. It would be between her and Flash, I think.

Because of the franchises created around them, Supes, Bats, and Spidey are basically untouchable here imo. The rest are technically expendable, but any of them would leave a gap in both fans and sales.

rotiart
From a "this hero dies and the earth would still be saved anyways standpoint:

Marvel: spiderman
Dc: wonder woman

From a "we can get rid of this character and still make a bunch of money off little kiddies corporation" standpoint:
Marvel: Thor. Marvels stories tend to do little guy defeating big threats. Without the god coming in to save every event... It would create more story boarding and more money possibly.
Dc: toss up between flash and wonder woman but I'd go with flash. You need to keep Diana cause female readers are empowered by her this buying issues... And guys like bazongas so they buy her issues too. So flash goes.. Also because his villains tend to suck.

BlackZero30x
Scenario 1: Wolverine
Scenario 2: Superman and Wolverine

shifty

Endless Mike
No Wolverine? Damn

SamZED
Hulk...S

Lanterns.

zeel
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Hulk and Supes. There's already capable replacements for both. Hulk would be missed less in the big picture, and the death of Superman would force the other heroes in general to step their game up as they are more than capable but are always forced to defer to Kal.

The superman Shield is the second most recognizable icon on the planet, loseing supes would kill D.C. comics. Superman is D.C. comics.

As far as hulk goes, hes very replaceable.

Newjak
Originally posted by zeel
The superman Shield is the second most recognizable icon on the planet, loseing supes would kill D.C. comics. Superman is D.C. comics.

As far as hulk goes, hes very replaceable. Actually by this point and time I would say the Batman brand is the thing really keeping DC going. It's their big money maker.

DC could lose Superman and survive decently well I think. Plus I think more comic characters from DC have grown in more wide spread popularity since Superman was the king of DC revenue.

It would hurt a bit but I think most of their revenue would still continue.

TheLordofMurder
From Marvel, Captain America would be gone; stupid name, ridiculous looking costume, and he just isnt a very good character...Ultimate Captain America is a far more compelling character personality wise.

From DC, Wonder Woman would be gone; she is fine, but she is a failed character IMHO...other than her looks, there is nothing compelling about her.

Zack Fair
I think losing Supes would hurt a lot. It may not "ruin" DC but it will hurt.

Odekahn
1. Spider-man

2. Spider-man and Wonder Woman

Sixth_Winged
flash. why?
-90% of his stories are kinda dumb considering he could/should
own most of his villains before their brains register pulling their triggers. Abuse suspension of disbelief much.
-speed force threadmill....no....just no.
-Cause imho Barry has less personality than wally's toenail.

for marvel even though he's not on the list, I'd vote Namor. A douchebag with attitude and wings on his goddamn feet and a dead ringer for mister Spock. Also not interesting enough for me.

Existere
For Marvel (and overall) I'd say Hulk. She Hulk, Red Hulk and Skaar all fit within the Marvel scene these days better than Hulk, who has worn out his welcome and his stories as hero, villain, outcast and misunderstood monster. Nowadays he just feels uninspired, and I routinely enjoy his spin-off characters more than him.

For DC, I'd choose maybe the Lanterns... I enjoy their stories a lot more when they're space-based, and I'm not particularly attached to any of the Earth ones. There would still be a strong GL presence in DC, and removing that from Earth wouldn't be a major problem for me...

So long as Alan gets to live. He doesn't really count anymore anyways.

Sin I AM
anyone other than diana...........she is the only top tier female character that means anything in comics

but to me it would be the gls because there are enough cosmics and iron man, he just isnt interesting

JayDaDon
If they killed off the GL's for good I'd definitely be done with DC!

JakeTheBank
Ha, ha, hands down, I'd pick Wolveri-

*reads OP*

FUUUUUUUUUUU-

Damn it, I guess if I picked one from Marvel, it would have to be Hulk. Cap, Iron Man, and Thor are too essential to the core of the Marvel Universe (ie. the Avengers) and have consistently more interesting solo stories. Spider-Man...no question he'd ever die.

From DC, I'd pick the Flash. World's Finest are too marketable and essential, both in universe and out of it. Green Lantern(s) are likewise. And I think the loss of Wonder Woman would be a shame, tbh.

john allerdyce
captain america.

wonder woman

basilisk
1) Wonder Woman. They've never had a particularly good take on this character in comics, though I liked her in certain phases of JLA.

2) DC: Wonder Woman.
Marvel: It's tough to choose. I have reasons for picking any one of these guys except Spiderman who I think needs to be there, but I like all of them. I could accept Cap if he was remembered as a legendary figure in the MU and still got mentioned here and there. It worked when he was dead before.

golem370
Aquaman and Namor

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Endless Mike
No Wolverine? Damn yea but what would make it better is if when they wrote the story they made deadpool the one that ended him!

Originally posted by SamZED
Hulk...S

Lanterns.

hulks I agree with! as for lanterns id have to ask does this also include oil lamps? stick out tongue

seriously though I could care less if the killed almost the whole spectrum off as long as red lanterns still exist.....

Cogito
While I thought it was cheesy at first, I think the whole emotional spectrum lantern corps are one of the best additions to DC in recent memory.

Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were fantastic reads

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Cogito
While I thought it was cheesy at first, I think the whole emotional spectrum lantern corps are one of the best additions to DC in recent memory.

Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were fantastic reads

well I don't mind them but The Red Lanterns have taken that spot in my heart as favorite( as far as lanterns are concerned). though as a child I had a gumball ring that was green and I pretended to be a green lantern. One day I started thinking about how star sapphires power was almost the same and sinestros yellow ring was also. I figured if there is green, yellow, and purple/pinkish then why can't I be red so I painted my ring and pretended to be red. Of course they are not quite how I imagined them but still I like how they are and I feel (in my own way) I thought of them first! More then likely others thought of it to but still.....

EDIT: I will say though I really did enjoy Blackest Night and Sinestro Corps War

Colossus-Big C
1.Superman obviously
2. Galactus

Naija boy
Marvel-
Captain America- Product of a different time with a largely outdated conception of what "America" represents (if it ever did represent those ideals, it certainly does not now). Plus he could probably be killed off the easiest and turned into some sort of legendary figure.

DC-
Wonderwoman- Personally i just find the character uninteresting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.