God of War Ascension

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
http://www.areagames.de/images//games2/teaser1.jpg
http://webassets.scea.com/pscomauth/groups/public/documents/webasset/ps_gow-teaser_12371_hp.swf
teaser image

NemeBro
Unless Kratos plans to punch out the Protogenoi, I don't really see what else God of War has to offer, sequel-wise (Spin-offs and prequels are fair game).

Nephthys
I've never played GoW, so is there a reason why the Gods can't just fight their way out of Hades like Kratos does? They could come back that way.

Or maybe the vengeance is against Kratos himself.

NemeBro
The implication is that when they die, they die as a concept, not physically. Hercules could probably do it though.

The second point I have considered.

RE: Blaxican
Ah, so now God of War can join all the other flagship games on the mantle of games that are getting run into the ground.

AsbestosFlaygon
Ah, so Sony finally decided to milk out every drop in the GoW franchise, like Microsoft did with HALO and Infinity Ward did with CoD.

Not that I have a problem with it lol.

Kazenji
The ones for the PSP have actually been good with them being prequel's

but yeah its time to milk the game since its supposedly should've ended at God of war 3.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Ah, so Sony finally decided to milk out every drop in the GoW franchise, like Microsoft did with HALO and Infinity Ward did with CoD.

Not that I have a problem with it lol.

Nowhere near as milked out as CoD or even Assassin's Creed.

Nemesis X
Maybe one of the evils that Kratos let loose out of Pandora's Box takes a physical form and becomes the antagonist.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Nowhere near as milked out as CoD or even Assassin's Creed. Give it time, my son.

Kazenji
There's a game cover that's been leaked on the internet.

Demonic Phoenix
^ Looks like it is a prequel. At least Kratos is still the protagonist.

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Give it time, my son.

It does not need time. It's already a better series than those two are. kruemelmonsteryn0

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Kazenji
The ones for the PSP have actually been good with them being prequel's

but yeah its time to milk the game since its supposedly should've ended at God of war 3.

i wanted it to end at 3.

but 3's ending was so terrible that i could not rest without a proper one.

so i'm glad this is coming.

NemeBro
Why was 3's ending terrible? big grin

CosmicComet
cliffhanger

little resolution

power to forgive yourself. **** that. so rushed.

CosmicComet
just saw the teaser. another prequel??

where's my real ending santa monica?

ares834
A prequel?

****, we want 4 not some lame ass prequel.

jalek moye
damn it

this seems lame

http://kotaku.com/5903277/god-of-war-4-leaks-early-heres-the-debut-trailer

Demonic Phoenix
The trailer was actually alright.

Ascension being a Prequel is understandable, but they should have made it for the Vita. Previous two prequels were on handhelds, and the numbered games were on the consoles. Meh.

CosmicComet
this is kratos before he ever made the pact with ares it seems, going by the trailer.

interesting, as the comics cover that time period as well,

BUT FUUUCKKK.

No epic feats to come now. :'(

God of War 4 for PS4 please? Since this isn't 4.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ares834
A prequel?

****, we want 4 not some lame ass prequel.

So i'm guessing you haven't played the ones for the PSP then.

NemeBro
I am guessing that with a title like "Ascension", that this series will be starting at some point where Kratos is a mere Spartan General, and ending with his ascension to Ares's enforcer.

And hey CC, look on the bright side: This game could show off Kratos's prowess as a warrior as well as his competence as a general.

CosmicComet
I donna care about generalship!

And I know more than enough about his prowess as a warrior. >.<

AsbestosFlaygon
Dayum.

I thought it was going to be a sequel where Athena somehow obtains the 'Powah of Howp', and Kratos somehow survived the fatal fall from the cliff.

CosmicComet
why would it have been a fall from a cliff?

it wouldn't have been fatal anyway, just a big ocean. he jumped from the center of olympus down to the underworld before with no problem.

ares834
Originally posted by Kazenji
So i'm guessing you haven't played the ones for the PSP then.

I played one of them and found it to be merely decent. Plus I really don't care about Kratos's story pre-ghost of Sparta.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by NemeBro
I am guessing that with a title like "Ascension", that this series will be starting at some point where Kratos is a mere Spartan General, and ending with his ascension to Ares's enforcer.

And hey CC, look on the bright side: This game could show off Kratos's prowess as a warrior as well as his competence as a general.

Isn't it obvious?

Pre-Ares Kratos does have some of those feats from the limited run Comic book series. Meh.

TheGoldenSpy
So he's gonna have a strong tan in this game.

Demonic Phoenix
And screw only one lady, his wife.

CosmicComet
And screw only one lady, his wife.

Oooh. Positively romantic.

Also:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/19/sony-to-talk-about-events-after-god-of-war-iii-soon/

consider my pen0r wet. big grin

NemeBro
Originally posted by CosmicComet
I donna care about generalship!

And I know more than enough about his prowess as a warrior. >.< Well, I do.

But a game with him as a badass normal would prove it to an extent that Dantefagz couldn't deny!

CosmicComet
^Meh, I've come around to it now, especially with news that they haven't forgotten about post-God of War 3 stuff.

He can't have chain blade weapons for at least most of the game.

So it will be the first God of War game to feel radically different.

TheGoldenSpy
I bet the whole comic series is gonna happen in this game.

CosmicComet
That would be awesome.

Kratos does some great stuff as a bad ass 'normal' in the comics.

Demonic Phoenix
Multiplayer is being included in this game.

Ah well. Also, apparently the game takes places right after Kratos kills his family. So Blades of Chaos are still in, as well as the trademark white coloured skin.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-30-god-of-war-ascension-preview-introducing-the-gods-of-war

Demonic Phoenix
^ EDIT: Ignore the plot timeline bit. Pappy stated that it takes place after he sells his soul to Ares, and that we'll have brown-skinned Kratos at certain points.

TheGoldenSpy
Please don't tell me that's ornstien.

Please god not again.

Demonic Phoenix
http://www.screwattack.com/news/god-war-ascension-qa-multiplayer-footage

Link contains a recorded vid of the Live Q&A event with the director that occurred today.

srankmissingnin
All these announcements... Sony is going to have a crazy press conference this E3.

Phanteros
hIM1YY5p4g0

Multiplayer.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Phanteros
hIM1YY5p4g0

Multiplayer.

That could be multiplayer of the year right there. I'm so looking forward to this.

TheGoldenSpy
He said that it's gonna be shorter than the other games.

That's bs.

Nemesis X
Indeed.

Demonic Phoenix

CosmicComet
^Holy SHIIIITTTT

TheGoldenSpy
They should have released this december 31st 2012

Impediment
I wonder if this game will be banned in India since Kratos exposes the brain of Ganesha. LOL

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by TheGoldenSpy
They should have released this december 31st 2012
F*** no. God of War games have, with one exception, always been released in March.

^Holy SHIIIITTTT

Favourite feature?
Swinging enemies around like a wrecking ball, picking up weapons to use as your own, or time manip?

TheGoldenSpy
It's the end of the world anyways, at least video games could go out with a vengeance.

BTW Kratos looks skinny as hell in the demo, He was bigger than gears of war characters in 3.

Estacado
I bet that no one is going to bithc about GOW stealing elements from other games like dmc hang time....or the rebuilding from singularity.
It's not like I mind it cause it looks good but gow fans keep saying that every hack n slash is a gow ripoff.

TheGoldenSpy
Naw, God of war in comparison to all the other hack n slash games has stayed true to itself. Heavenly sword, Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden are all either dead in the water, getting retconned or stealing elements from other games yet the only major change in this GOW is multiplayer.

Shame about Ninja gaiden though, it's the only other hack n slash I liked.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by TheGoldenSpy
It's the end of the world anyways, at least video games could go out with a vengeance.

BTW Kratos looks skinny as hell in the demo, He was bigger than gears of war characters in 3.

Yeah, this takes place long before God of War 2 and 3, so he's not going to be as strong and buff as he was in 3.

Speaking of which, his model does not look as detailed or good as that of 3's. The environments look fantastic though.

Demonic Phoenix
That boss in the demo is Kharybdis. At least, that's what Pappy called it.

-Pr-

Really? That's an unusual spin on the beast, imo.

Impediment
Some myths say that Charybdis was a face with arms while others characterized her/it as nothing more than a "monstrous" whirlpool from which there is no escape.

Nemesis X
It's probably Kharybdis.

BloodRain
We get to kill the Prince and jack the SoT? Sweet. I like his model here more than in the other games, bit more proportioned imo.

Can someone post the timeline of the games? >__>

I don't buy it.

BloodRawEngine
The timeline goes: Ascension, Chains of Olympus, GoWI, Comics/Ghost of Sparta (not sure which of the two comes first), Betrayal, GoWII, GoWIII.

BloodRawEngine

Do you mean the elephant man or the Kraken-like thing? I'll assume you mean the latter, cuz I'm sure there're still more sea monsters Kratos has yet to be shown killing; counting this one, he'd be at about four.

Demonic Phoenix
Kraken-like thing that tosses the boat.

Impediment
fAZcHQ3QDxw

My one b*tch: Fast forward to the 5:45 mark. This new foe is called the Elephantaur.

I mean, REALLY?! So its translated to Elephant-bull? F*cking Hell! The word Minotaur literally translates to "the bull of Minos". Some people think that it means man-bull, but it doesn't. If anything, this guy should be called, I dunno, something like Pachymannus or Ele-man. Anything other than Elephantaur! /rant

God of War: Ascension looks great, still.

BloodRain
All for calling it the Pachyman.

Demonic Phoenix
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_291958_thumb_wide940.jpg

http://blog.godofwar.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/8074824494_1985473758_o.jpg

Perseus for Hades, Orion for Zeus, Achilles for Ares and Odysseus for Poseidon? Interesting. mmm

And a trailer giving us a brief overview of abilities for those aligned to Zeus:

owyXzeUbpZo

Demonic Phoenix
QmUVdPpyw5g

Kazenji
There's a demo for this with the Total Recall (2012) Blu-Ray.

BloodRawEngine
New single player teaser. For thirty seconds worth of clips, I'm glad they finally branched off from just the first demo.

88K_GexTtDk

And while I know that the game is the earliest in the timeline, Kratos' slimmer look is kinda jarring compared to God of War III imo.

Demonic Phoenix
Meh, what I find jarring is the fact that Kratos' skin is still so damn pale before he became the Ghost of Sparta.

~ http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/01/god-of-war-ascension-february-demo-very-very-different-from-e3total-recall-demos/

Apparently the PSN demo for the single-player won't be the E3 version.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
New single player teaser. For thirty seconds worth of clips, I'm glad they finally branched off from just the first demo.

88K_GexTtDk

And while I know that the game is the earliest in the timeline, Kratos' slimmer look is kinda jarring compared to God of War III imo.

truth be told, he's only really slimmer in the arms.

I liked that cat looking dragon thing. looked like some huge snake next to it as well.

BloodRawEngine
I s'pose so. Still has plenty of detail to it, especially the close-ups on his face for that firey shockwave/spell.

On that note, I've read that that's supposedley one of the four elements that the new "rage" mode is gonna be basing itself on. One is fire which, from I've seen, looks pretty reminiscent of how Thera's Bane handled in Ghost of Sparta.

CosmicComet
Is it just me, or did Kratos' 'rage' mode get worse as the series went on?

It was easily the best in God of War 1. It was probably the worst in God of War 3.

Demonic Phoenix
I liked that cat looking dragon thing. looked like some huge snake next to it as well.

It's the GoW version of the the Manticore
Is it just me, or did Kratos' 'rage' mode get worse as the series went on?

It was easily the best in God of War 1. It was probably the worst in God of War 3.

Do you mean in terms of looks, or in terms of usefulness in gameplay? Because on both fronts, you're right, though Rage from GoW2 was about as useful as the one from GoW1.

CosmicComet
I don't think Rage in God of War 2 was as good, God of War 1 had that infinite magic thing once fully upgraded, and then in God of War 2, you could not block in Rage mode IIRC, because it was reserved for that tornado thing.

Demonic Phoenix
I don't think Rage in God of War 2 was as good, God of War 1 had that infinite magic thing once fully upgraded, and then in God of War 2, you could not block in Rage mode IIRC, because it was reserved for that tornado thing.

They both had their pros and cons.

Rage of the Gods in GoW1 provided infinite magic if the Blades of Chaos were maxed out, which was uber considering how overpowered the magics could get in that game. The attack boost provided was also noteworthy, as was the 'tank' effect and the defensive boost.
However, it could not be activated unless the meter was completely filled up, and filling up said meter was a b**** to do.
In addition, you couldn't cancel out of the Rage at will i.e. you'd have to use it all up in one go.

Rage of the Titans in GoW2 had an attack boost, but it wasn't a conventional one as there was no attack boost if you were using a Maxed out weapon (Will elaborate if you need me to). It had the same tank ability and defensive boost that GoW1 Rage had. With those latter two abilities, blocking is rendered moot. Not to mention, why waste time blocking when your boost has a time limit. Instead, we got a mini-explosion mapped to L1 (fairly useless), and when the Blades of Athena were maxed, we got that inferno tornado whose radius increased if more hits were accumulated before activation. (somewhat useful).
In terms of activation and usage, it could be activated as long as the meter was at least 25% full, and it could be deactivated at will. There were also orbs available to speed up the process of filling the meter, unlike in 1, where the only ways to fill the meter up were by hitting enemies (can't remember if the meter filled up when you got hit), and beating Ares the first time (fills up the meter completely iirc).
Also noteworthy is the fact that GoW2's Rage meter would get filled up after every boss battle (including the Icarus QTE), just like the HP & MP meters.

So basically, Rage in GoW1 was overpowered like it was intended to be, but it was also extremely tedious to use. Whereas Rage in 2 was more balanced and far more convenient to use. In terms of usefulness, it more or less evens out for me.

GoW3's Rage of Sparta was a shitfest with all of its restrictions and shit, while GoW:GoS Thera's Bane was alright.
Ascension's Rage mechanic really makes the one in GoW3 look good though. Friggin devs forcing Rage on us like that.

CosmicComet
From what I remember, you could still take plenty of damage in God of War 2's rage mode despite the tank effect, so the block would have been pretty useful still in higher difficulty modes.

Demonic Phoenix
From what I remember, you could still take plenty of damage in God of War 2's rage mode despite the tank effect, so the block would have been pretty useful still in higher difficulty modes.

Meh, I can't recall properly, but attacks that Kratos could block would do far less damage with Rage of the Titans active, whereas attacks he couldn't block could just be evaded or tanked through.

BloodRawEngine
pYJ4A53UziQ

I'mma go cancel all my other pre-orders.

CosmicComet
I'm scared to click that...

First 30 minutes? It's not like the singleplayer is going to be very long in this one, so that would be a sizable chunk I'm spoiling for myself.

Demonic Phoenix
I'm scared too, but only because if I do, it might be torture waiting for March.

Demonic Phoenix
Q8jnf3EQcoo

CosmicComet
I tapped out like a weakling, and watched those 30 minutes.

Good lord.

Demonic Phoenix
I liked that they brought in the Protogenoi. And the way Kratos killed the second of Aegaeon's arms was epic.

Still, not much was spoiled though. The first 30 minutes, and he wasn't even done with the opening segment.

Also, now we have chapters? WTF.

CosmicComet
Can't get a good read on the Hecatonchires' size.

Obviously at least titan sized, but with how far down the ground looks from its waist or so, it seems much bigger.

CosmicComet
http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/02/God-of-war-Ascension-7.jpg

who the hell is this guy?

NemeBro
Looks like Liu Kang wearing the Keaton Mask.

Impediment
The demo was good enough for me.

My wife just bought this game for me when I get off of work today.

smile

Kazenji
Seen one review for this, 7.75//10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/god_of_war_ascension/b/ps3/archive/2013/03/12/godofwarascensionreview.aspx

Nemesis X
Has anyone reached the Trial of Archimedes yet? That part in the single player is so difficult, there's controversy over it. You know you're doing something right if the fans are going be pissed enough to yell at you to nerf it.

Kazenji
This generation of gamers bunch of cry babies.

Nemesis X
Casual gamers are becoming quite the parasites. If they have a problem, why don't they just lower the difficulty?

Kazenji
Even then they will complain its too hard.

KingD19
I for one like the challenge of a hard game. Like XCOM. Sometimes I hate that game with a seething passion when I play it on the harder difficulties, but it feels so much better when I win.

jinXed by JaNx
i dont know how anyone can like kratos anymore. he is the worlds biggest *******. the last the last god of war game i played i found myself rooting for the antagonists' of the story. I hope kratos dies and burns in hell, what a horrible character. there is nothing likeable or redeeming about him

Nemesis X
I will admit he is an ******* (edit: really, that word's censored now?) but it's not mostly character that sells these God of War games anyway. It's the stunning visuals and epic boss battles. Oh and the multiplayer's a lot of fun too. It's fresh and a good break from those shooters that's for sure.

Kazenji
What word is that?.....i think i know what it is anyway

yeah he has his moments where he is, but he's standing up to these Greek gods that have been screwing around with his life.

KingD19
Oh man. God forbid he gets vengeance on the people who tricked him into murdering his family, destroyed his home and toyed with his very existence. Even Athena phucked him over and had him thinking she was on his side and he was truly sad he'd killed her, only for him to find out she was using him to ascend to mega godhood. And his own father enjoyed tormenting him while his uncles aunts brothers and cousins all constantly tried to kill him. Even the Titans betrayed him in the end. So yeah he's an asxhole, but its not like he doesn't have every reason to be. The only thing I can say he went too far with was potentially destroying the world in the process.

Impediment
"Some reviewers issued complaints regarding the title for one of the trophies of the PS3 video game God of War: Ascension, named "Bros before Hos", due to its alleged offensive nature. In response to the criticism, Santa Monica released a patch changing the name of the trophy to "Bros before Foes"."

People are such pu$$ies these days. I mean, really?!

You're playing a God of War video game that has fantastic amounts of blood, gore, violence, and nudity. You mean to say that the word "ho" offends you over the former list?

I weep for humanity.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by KingD19
Oh man. God forbid he gets vengeance on the people who tricked him into murdering his family, destroyed his home and toyed with his very existence. Even Athena phucked him over and had him thinking she was on his side and he was truly sad he'd killed her, only for him to find out she was using him to ascend to mega godhood. And his own father enjoyed tormenting him while his uncles aunts brothers and cousins all constantly tried to kill him. Even the Titans betrayed him in the end. So yeah he's an asxhole, but its not like he doesn't have every reason to be. The only thing I can say he went too far with was potentially destroying the world in the process.

Not to mention he went out of his way to do the closest thing of making up for that last part.

Nemesis X
I didn't mean to bash the character or anything when I said he's an arsehole. Yes, he is but he has reasons that justify most of his actions for being one but he's still an arsehole for what he did to people like Poseidon's wife for example. She did not ask for being a part of Kratos' brutal puzzle solving.

Originally posted by Impediment
"Some reviewers issued complaints regarding the title for one of the trophies of the PS3 video game God of War: Ascension, named "Bros before Hos", due to its alleged offensive nature. In response to the criticism, Santa Monica released a patch changing the name of the trophy to "Bros before Foes"."

You're playing a God of War video game that has fantastic amounts of blood, gore, violence, and nudity. You mean to say that the word "ho" offends you over the former list?

I weep for humanity.

This isn't the worst controversy I've heard but eh. It's still pretty dumb. Sex minigames aren't a problem with 'em but a word is? I do not understand these people.

Demonic Phoenix

I weep for humanity.

The worst part is that the developers actually relented and changed the trophy name.

Weak.

Impediment
Was anyone else surprised to see a bare crotch shot of Kratos during the giant snake level?

I lold.

Demonic Phoenix
Pretty sure he has bandages wrapped around his crotch and thighs.

Impediment
I dunno, man. laughing out loud

I'm almost positive I saw pubes.

Demonic Phoenix
http://i.imgur.com/11EtHif.jpg

Not sure about the snake level, but yeah, in the Hecatonchires level, he has bandages around his crotch and thigs. laughing

Martian_mind
So what was the big deal about the trial of archimedes thang? I beat it without dying once on the first go.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Martian_mind
So what was the big deal about the trial of archimedes thang? I beat it without dying once on the first go.

I get the feeling you haven't played the game on Hard mode yet.

Impediment
God of War: Ascension was a pretty solid game with a spectacularly big final boss fight. We especially got to see a human side of Kratos we have never seen before in the series.

Also, there were some subtle hints during the game about the future of the God of War franchise. I mean, Kratos is, after all, the flagship character of the Playstation; Sony would have to be nuts to end the franchise with GoW III. Maybe if they do make a God of War IV it will introduce a new side of Kratos and give him a new purpose since now, hopefully, his rage has been satiated with the death of the gods and the fall of Olympus. Maybe the antagonist will be Athena? I dunno, but I can't wait to see.

CosmicComet
I think the new game will be a new mythology.

With how much Sony Santa Monica have cross-promoted with the new Vikings drama series, and with the fact that Mjolnir is a DLC weapon for multiplayer, I am quite confident that the next game will be Norse based.

Scythe
I think the new game will be a new mythology.

With how much Sony Santa Monica have cross-promoted with the new Vikings drama series, and with the fact that Mjolnir is a DLC weapon for multiplayer, I am quite confident that the next game will be Norse based.

Whoa, seriously?! Mjolnir!

CosmicComet
yep

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8474568874_08dbbf14c1_z.jpg

BloodRain
IF its set on a new mythology, new main character? Can't really see a reason for Kratos to battle Norse gods, can however see him being a plot/antagonist for a new guy.

Impediment
I sincerely hope that the GoW franchise is NOT transferred to the Norse angle.

I mean, Thor would be out to kill Odin now?

Arachnid1

I mean, Thor would be out to kill Odin now? I more see Kratos having some new reason to start hunting down Norse Gods, which also doesn't sounds good to me. I don't want to watch him beat down Thor, Loki, and Odin.

CosmicComet

I mean, Thor would be out to kill Odin now?

It would be some original character out to kill Odin. Not Thor.

Thor would be a casualty. Just like Hercules was.

Nemesis X

Scythe
yep

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8474568874_08dbbf14c1_z.jpg

Oh shi-!

Kazenji
Just got this one recently and been playing it, Was wondering why the hell i wasn't parrying when an enemy attacks then i find out while holding L1 press X.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.