Darth Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rave
Who thinks that Vader is cool?

Ushgarak
Rather a lot of people...

Corran
I do, and to be frank, that's all that matters. So Vader Rocks.

Rave
Oh yeah He has it going on.

GordonSkywalker
Darth Vader is my favorite from the OT characters. I used to pretend I was him when I was a kid.I got the breathing down pat.

Julie
ha....I'd like to have heard that.....
Darth Vader was never my favorite character, but he is a very cool bad guy and I think James Earl Jone's voice was a lovely touch

GordonSkywalker
What, my breathing? Actually in all seriousness I still do a great Vader impression.....

Rave
So is that your talent at party's?

GordonSkywalker
Yeah, I stay in the corner until the host announces me and turns off the lights. Then the partygoers can hear a strange and sinister breathing sound. One that reminds them of somebody they used to imitate as children........Then the lights go on, I say "BOO!" and watch them kill each other trying to get to the front door! {This is a major embellishment of course!}

Julie
I see...well some stories are best when embellished:-)
Little white lies are ok.... once in awhile

GordonSkywalker
Glad you approve!

justinday15
Darth Vader is my favorite bad guy. And James Earl Jones
is perfect for the part

GordonSkywalker
Yes, now there is somebody with a lot of sense! I salute you, sir, for your very excellent remarks. Darth Vader IS after all the main character throughout the series. Welcome aboard, Justin, you're going to go far!

justinday15
Thanks Gordon.

GordonSkywalker
Yes, Darth Vader is a cool if terrifying individual during the original trilogy. Only Luke Skywalker tops him in my book. Vader! Vader! Vader!

Tevesh
hm....i wonder how much hate i would get if i said maul was better?

GordonSkywalker
None from me brother! Darth Maul was excellent in the prequel! So much so there has been lot of talk about a faceoff between the two-even though that is impossible in the official Star Wars timeline!

justinday15
I like Maul, but Vaders the man.

Tevesh
oh man! i just had the coolest idea! what if Anakin, when he turns to the dark side, wields dual double sided lightsabers? that'd be so freakin awesome! probably won't happen, but still!

GordonSkywalker
Hadn't thought of that....hmm. Possible scenario and it would tie in very neatly with good old Maul sporting a double saber!

finti
I dont think we see Vader with a double bladed lightsaber, Vaders style of fighting is to crude of a style to use a dobble bladed saber a style that demands high mobility . Crude because of his mechanical limbs

justinday15
I agree.

GordonSkywalker
Is the 'force-choke' something Vader developed or do all siths have that power?

yerssot
I would believe every sith can do it

GordonSkywalker
So can Vader use force lightning as well? Or is that a secret known only to the sith master (Palpatine in this case) and not imparted to the apprentice?

yerssot
think it would burn his gloves wink
and dooku knows it, so it isn't master-only

GordonSkywalker
Forgot about him. And doesn't Vader have artificial hands anyway? Maybe that would prevent him from using the dark side of the force to do something like that.

yerssot
one articial hand yes, not sure about the other one
but you can do lightning with one and two hands

Tevesh
when he absorbed han's blaster shot in to his hand, was it his artificial hand, or real?

yerssot
it was his right, so it was artificial
the shots of the blaster never full hit his hand for the glove to get any damage

GordonSkywalker
So Vader has one mechanical arm and one real one? Or at least that is our understanding right now. Does he have any other mechanical body parts we know about?

Tevesh
his breathing machine

finti
in an interview with GL about the prequels and the OT he said Vader is pretty injured, breathing machine,mechanical arms!! and probably legs too

yerssot
I have no doubts that both his arms are of course, but up till now, only one is mechanical

finti
as Anakin yes

GordonSkywalker
I figured as Vader he was messed up real bad. So the loss of his right arm is just the beginning.

finti
Guess good ol Anakin have loads of ouch times ahead of him

Omegaman
A little bit of trivia, did you guys know that David Prowse didnt know that his voice would not be used until the movie was completed. He found out when he saw the finished movied that his voice was out and James Earl Jones was in???? He was pissed!

GordonSkywalker
I read that in a Starlog magazine last year sometime.

cookies2006
Yeah that would suck pretty bad.

GordonSkywalker
Reading Starlog or losing an arm?

yerssot
same for the one who played beru

Omegaman
I have heard this debated on this board and others that the name Darth(Vader) is referring to his title like "Lord" Vader and not his first and last name but it just might suppose to be his first name after all. If you watch the original movie credits it clearly lists ...David Prowse ...Lord Darth Vader! So unless you call him LOrd , Lord....??

Ushgarak
Yes, 'Darth' may be an honorific but it also seems to be part of your new name.

yerssot
Darth means Dark Lord of the Sith

though I'm not sure that's entirely canon

Ushgarak
At the time of the original film's release, of course, 'Darth' was just Vader's first name. I am not sure when it became an honorific but we didn't see it in use as such until TPM came out, of course.

rogue_jedi
not all sith lords used darth in their name. how about Exar Kun?

Omegaman
dont bring the books into the movies discussion, it just confuses things!

rogue_jedi
vader is rather cool. the whole black armor thing is awesome. and yes, james earl jones voice was perfect for vader.

cgtuna21
Vader's been my favorite star wars character. Hes such a badass and i think yoda and vader would be an awesome match. But vaders still my favorite character of all.

Evil-X
Darth Vader is the Man. evil face

DarthWing
DARTH VADER IS THE BOOM. I BEEN ONE OF HIS BIGGEST FANS SINCE I FIRST SAW HIM IN 'A New Hope' WHEN I WAS THREE!!!!!!!! big grin

Lyn
I can't say I liked Darth Vader, seeing as he is the bad guy. But I liked the costume and the skills he used and the voice...niiiiice. happy
Overall, like after ROTJ I appreciated Vader more. Like after he killed the Emperor to save Luke and all that.

Vader
If it wasn't for my wimpy commie son I would rule the galaxy!

mephistodesigns
For that question on Exar Kun (since its an EU question I'm giving an EU answer so I don't want no guff! wink )
Exar Kun went bad BEFORE the Sith were into the only two rule or the Darth title. Here's the EU Sith background-there used to just be light jedi and dark jedi. Then the dark jedi took over a planet with an actual race known as Sith. The dark jedi took this name for there own (along with the planet, makes sense) and trained tons of Dark Jedi. Then there was a huge war between Sith and Jedi. This is in the Tales of the Jedi trade paperbacks from Darkhorse if you want to read it. Then, around a thousand years before the movie story, there was another great war between Sith and Jedi. During the war (this is in Jedi vs. Sith from DarkHorse-okay art, great story) a Sith known as Darth Bane (this guys actual first name was Darth) decided to kill off all of the Sith because he realised the more there were, the more in-fighting there would be. That's why they kept losing to the Jedi. So Bane kills off all of the Sith, and takes a jedi child as his apprentice (read it to understand how that happens). Now, I don't know if all these wars are canon to GL, most likelyl not, but he DID invent Bane. Darkhorse didn't make a comic of it until after Lucas came up with the character some time around TPM's release. There were rumors of a history lesson about Bane appearing in the movies, Palpatine may tell Anakin about it. So Bane starts the only two at a time, as well as lying in wait to destroy the jedi. the jedi thought they had killed all of the Sith. Bane escaped with his apprentice and the Sith have been lying in wait ever since. All dark jedi who are part of this lineage have taken the name Darth out of respect to Bane.

And as for Vader- he's hardcore as hell. Hes awesome, a great tragic hero along the literary lines of Hamlet, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, or Edna from The Awakening. how can you not think he's cool? I know I know, he killed a bunch of people...details details wink

mephistodesigns
and Lyn- it is just poor wounded, misguided Hayden under there... wink
He just needed a hug.

Darth Hater
vader is GOAT

mephistodesigns
GOAT? is that an abreviation?

Darth Hater
Greatest Of All Time

mephistodesigns
oh, well in that case, YES HE IS! He is very much the GOAT!!!

yerssot
dunno, wasn't Hannibal Lector voted as best enemy ever or something like htat?

Darth Hater
well,to me he's the best devil

The_Inevitable
Vader is so totally the best Villian ever

smokin'

StarWars_Fan
I think that Darth Vader is one of the best villians ever created, he looks cool, he is very evil and he is the one of the best Sith Lords, if you guys are wondering you i think the other best Sith Lord is it is Darth Maul.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.