How About Underrated Movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
What are some movies that you think are better than most people realize or that you feel are underappreciated?

A few off the top of my head:

Waterworld
Children of Men
Sunshine
Pandorum
The Last Temptation of Christ
Eastern Promises

Waterworld is actually pretty fun. I think it gets a bad rap because it developed sort of a stigma for being a big flop. But it's entertaining Sci-Fi escapism. Children of Men is up there with some of the most profound and important movies ever, imho..

Esau Cairn
I guess Waterworld really depends on how much of a Costner fan you are...I mean he played the "silent" hero already in Dances With Wolves & though I've enjoyed both these films...you really have to be in the mood to absorb the "epic-ness" of each.
I guess you can add The Postman too.

Myth
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
What are some movies that you think are better than most people realize or that you feel are underappreciated?

Waterworld
Children of Men
Sunshine
Pandorum
Eastern Promises

Waterworld is actually pretty fun. I think it gets a bad rap because it developed sort of a stigma for being a big flop. But it's entertaining Sci-Fi escapism. Children of Men is up there with some of the most profound and important movies ever, imho..

I really liked Children of Men, Sunshine, and Eastern Promises. Didn't like Waterworld. Pandorum was fun for the first 75% of the movie (the tone was set well), but then it got pretty stupid.

I'll add some of my own underrated movies later.

Esau Cairn
Near Dark.
It may seem to be a cheap B-grade vampire movie but it really captured the essence of vampirism being a curse of immortality & killing.
Each character dealt with the boredom & frustration of not only being stuck with eachother forever but also being stuck at the same age as they were turned.

Kazenji
The Mist....thats about the only one i can think of at the moment.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, i liked The Mist okay. I remember the ending being a bit depressing, though. I think i felt a little dissapointed in it b/c i was expecting The Shawshank Redemption/The Green Mile greatness, but it was solid. I've actually been meaning to see it again..

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I guess Waterworld really depends on how much of a Costner fan you are...I mean he played the "silent" hero already in Dances With Wolves & though I've enjoyed both these films...you really have to be in the mood to absorb the "epic-ness" of each.
I guess you can add The Postman too.

I'm not saying Waterworld is perfect, but i think it's a reletively fun and satisfying Sci-Fi adventure (it was written by David Twohy, the brains behind Pitch Black/Riddick). It has it's moments of silliness, but you get over the top Dennis Hopper and some pretty sweet explosions. It's kind of Mad Max on the ocean, lol..

I've never seen The Postman, but i thought it looked really dumb on the previews. Is it actually pretty good?

And yeah, Pandorum isnt perfect either, but i liked the story. It was just some of the execution that left something to be desired. They had two more movies planned, but it didnt do too well, so we'll probably never see 'em.. sad

rudester
Im the biggest fan when it comes to the movie, "Dune". I have no idea as to why it's not as great as startrek or starwars, it was epic..? Or is it just only me who thinks its a great movie?

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/dune-cover.jpg

jonydec
While it doesn't withstand its forerunners, I believed T3 was a very interesting film with a reasonable story that ongoing Cameron's films well, awesome activity sequence, and I liked the conclusion and how it revealed the devices getting over, how the community was sent to terrible, and revealed a glance of how the individual level of resistance started. It's not the best of the sequence, but I still appreciate viewing it when it's on TV.

jonydec
I think the only other time I was mad about the conclusion of these movies was Aspect 7. The deceased dad comes out of the river and appeals to Jason? End of story? C'mon! Anyways, I acknowledge that I would have liked to see Jerr all mangled at the end.

Where did this pic come from? Never seen it before?

Kazenji
Originally posted by rudester
Im the biggest fan when it comes to the movie, "Dune". I have no idea as to why it's not as great as startrek or starwars, it was epic..? Or is it just only me who thinks its a great movie?

It was the movie itself.........seriously i was bored when watching it, needs another adaptation.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kazenji
The Mist....thats about the only one i can think of at the moment. BEST. ENDING. EVER.

Chronicles of Riddick is one. Gets a lot of hate due to being so different from Pitch Black in tone, which is a fair complaint, but I thought it was awesome for what it was: A cheesy space opera with a badass anti-hero for a protagonist.

Myth
The Mist....thats about the only one i can think of at the moment.

Great choice. Most people I knew hated it, especially because of the ending, but that was my favorite part.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
Chronicles of Riddick is one. Gets a lot of hate due to being so different from Pitch Black in tone, which is a fair complaint, but I thought it was awesome for what it was: A cheesy space opera with a badass anti-hero for a protagonist.

Precisely. I mean, I think the fact that they created a much larger mythology and story arch out of it shows a great deal more creativity and imagination than simply rehashing the first film. It's not really fair to even compare the two films, because Pitch Black is an intimate little sci-fi horror, and Chronicles is an epic mythology. It's like they can't win no matter what they do. The new one is gonna make me jizz all over the place, though. It's supposed to be sort of a mixture of the two.. the intimacy of Pitch Black and the mythology of Chronicles. I can't wait.

Originally posted by rudester

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought it was good. I just thought it was unfortunate that some of the special effects haven't aged well. Sort of cheesy 80s lightning type effects. But yeah, I'm assuming you're talking about Lynch's version. His vision was truly fascinating to look at.

It was the movie itself.........seriously i was bored when watching it, needs another adaptation.

There was a TV movie that was actually pretty good. Didn't have the quite the same quirky visual style that Lynch's did, but it was pretty good.

Esau Cairn

I've never seen The Postman, but i thought it looked really dumb on the previews. Is it actually pretty good?

Once again it depends on how much of a Costner fan you are.
The movie is long & the simple story line drawn out.
The moral is that anyone can rise & be a hero...

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Myth
Great choice. Most people I knew hated it, especially because of the ending, but that was my favorite part.

Totally agree. The ending made the movie for me.
As much as I want to watch in again (3rd time), the notion of having to deal with that religious freak puts me off.

And don't get me wrong either, that woman is a great actress but her character is so full on, I wince at the thought of "crossing her path" again.

NemeBro
Precisely. I mean, I think the fact that they created a much larger mythology and story arch out of it shows a great deal more creativity and imagination than simply rehashing the first film. It's not really fair to even compare the two films, because Pitch Black is an intimate little sci-fi horror, and Chronicles is an epic mythology. It's like they can't win no matter what they do. The new one is gonna make me jizz all over the place, though. It's supposed to be sort of a mixture of the two.. the intimacy of Pitch Black and the mythology of Chronicles. I can't wait.

Well, there are different forms of creativity, some more subtle than others. While Chronicles did expand the mythology, Pitch Black was able to be subtle enough in its action to carry itself as a horror movie, but still has very good, watchable action scenes. It takes skill to pull that off, IMO, to make a film that is both a pretty good action movie and horror movie.

Patient_Leech
Once again it depends on how much of a Costner fan you are.
The movie is long & the simple story line drawn out.
The moral is that anyone can rise & be a hero...

Hm... it got shit reviews, but sounds somewhat interesting. I might check it out sometime..

Originally posted by NemeBro
Well, there are different forms of creativity, some more subtle than others. While Chronicles did expand the mythology, Pitch Black was able to be subtle enough in its action to carry itself as a horror movie, but still has very good, watchable action scenes. It takes skill to pull that off, IMO, to make a film that is both a pretty good action movie and horror movie.

I wouldn't say Pitch Black is just Action and Horror. I'd say it's Sci-Fi/Action/Horror/Adventure/Drama. It juggles a lot more than you're giving it credit for. wink And to me, the direction they took Chronicles seemed like the next logical progression. I love it.

Flyattractor
I thought Waterworld was a pretty decent flick.
A good one time to every other year or so watch.
True it was over hyped and could have been a good 30 min shorter or so.
But still a fun Road Warrior Wet movie.

masandifer7
I think it gets a bad rap because it developed sort of a stigma for being a big flop. But it's entertaining Sci-Fi escapism. Children of Men is up thhttp://www.heritems.info/avatar4.jpg

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by masandifer7
I think it gets a bad rap because it developed sort of a stigma for being a big flop. But it's entertaining Sci-Fi escapism. Children of Men is up thhttp://www.heritems.info/avatar4.jpg

F#ck you, bot!! mad

Mr Parker

Waterworld
Children of Men
Sunshine
Pandorum
Eastern Promises

one that jumps out for me is FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER.a highly underrated war movie.I have seen many people list their favorite vietnam wars movies in threads here before in the past but they NEVER mention this one and its a shame because its an excellent movie on the vietnam war starring William Defoe and Danny Glover and Rosanne Arquett.

Its a movie similiar to TOP GUN with pilots flying jets quite a bit in the movie.I personally think its far much better than TOP GUN.TOP GUN I think is very much overrated.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mr Parker
one that jumps out for me is FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER ... its an excellent movie on the vietnam war starring William Defoe and Danny Glover...

Say no more... blink eek eek2

Jim Colyer
Walkabout 1971 is underrated. It stars Jenny Agutter and is about 2 kids lost in the Australian outback.

siriuswriter
I think Gosford Park is generally known as a fantastic film, but the people who know about it and have watched are not in direct proportion to the "rated-ness" of the movie. I wish more people would watch it. It takes a long time to invite person after person in for dinner and a movie to get the knowledge of this movie out there.

Myth
^ Haven't seen that in years, but I remember hating it and couldn't believe all the praise it got. It is also the reason I have no interest in watching Downton Abbey.

siriuswriter
Do the English accents in whispers bother you/can't understand them? I just turn the damn thing ALL THE WAY UP!

Myth
Maybe English accents in whispers bore me, I'm not sure. I like lots of British movies/shows, but not sure if I like old school English. I prefer gritty English movies/shows over the ones where people act overly sophisticated.

C-3POTheClever
Mine are bellow!
Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal skull
Spiderman 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men: Orgins Wolverine
Star Wars prequels
Santa Clause 3
Pirrates of the Caribean: At Worlds End

Mr Parker
Say no more... blink eek eek2

I assume this is your way of saying you have never seen the movie but you will sometime?

Patient_Leech
I assume this is your way of saying you have never seen the movie but you will sometime?

Precisely. Because Willem Dafoe and Danny Glover are in it. But Netflix doesn't have it. : (

Has anyone seen The Beach (with Leo DiCaprio)? Is it underrated? It's based off a novel, so I suspect it's probably at least interesting. I think i might check it out...

Esau Cairn

Has anyone seen The Beach (with Leo DiCaprio)? Is it underrated? It's based off a novel, so I suspect it's probably at least interesting. I think i might check it out...

I avoided the movie for years becos it had Leo in it...however my gf made me watch it with her & I did enjoy it....strangely enough some scenes still stick in my head.
Apparently the author of the book dissed the movie big time (but what's new with that?).
Underrated?
Yeah I guess you could say that...

Mr Parker
Precisely. Because Willem Dafoe and Danny Glover are in it. But Netflix doesn't have it. : (

you can order it from netflix though cant you?

the ninjak
The Last Boyscout.

Esau Cairn
BOONDOCK SAINTS

Patient_Leech
I did watch The Beach. I actually really liked it. Beautiful cinematography, interesting premise and voiceover monologue. I thought it was great. I don't understand the negative reviews. Even reminded me of Fight Club in a weird sort of way. You could tell it had the richness of being a novel first, which is cool. Definitely underrated.

thumb up

you can order it from netflix though cant you?

Nope. It's not available for some reason. sad

Esau Cairn
I did watch The Beach. I actually really liked it. Beautiful cinematography, interesting premise and voiceover monologue. I thought it was great. I don't understand the negative reviews. Even reminded me of Fight Club in a weird sort of way. You could tell it had the richness of being a novel first, which is cool. Definitely underrated.

From memory, fans of the book didn't like the choice of Leo.
I also got the impression that the novel was a lot more "brutal" & the movie was somewhat of a tamed down version to reach a wider audience.

Patient_Leech
From memory, fans of the book didn't like the choice of Leo.

I guess I'm not surprised by that, 'cause back then I probably would have thought the same thing. At that time he was sort of seen as a teen heart-throb, but with all his work with Martin Scorsese, he's turned into an amazing actor. So looking back, he actually seems really good in it.

I also got the impression that the novel was a lot more "brutal" & the movie was somewhat of a tamed down version to reach a wider audience.

I guess I can see that, too. But that gripe aside, it's still extremely well done. And it's still pretty bloody. Those shark attack wounds are pretty gruesome. Hey, at least it's not Disney, (i.e. John Carter) lol...

I wish it was available on blu-ray, quite honestly.

janus77
Prince of Darkness - engrossing and well paced drama with a genuinely creepy build-up. Should rank up there with the best work of John Carpenter, imo.

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter - Lovely Hammer Horror gem, light and fun and far better than stuff like The Fearless Vampire Killers.

The Satanic Rites of Dracula - imo the best thing Hammer ever did (even including getting Ingrid Pitt naked!).

Sadako of Girth
Somewhere in time

Tenacious D: The pick of destiny

Trancers

Kazenji
Originally posted by janus77
Prince of Darkness - engrossing and well paced drama with a genuinely creepy build-up. Should rank up there with the best work of John Carpenter, imo.

Each to their own i suppose, I checked it out and not exactly that great and i do like Carpenter's movies.

Patient_Leech
I watched the trailer for Prince of Darkness. I was expecting to hear Purple Rain... heh, j/k. Seriously, though. It looked kinda old-school, but interesting, though the trailer did sort of make me say, "What the f#ck?"

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Somewhere in time

Tenacious D: The pick of destiny

Trancers

Somewhere In Time is a good film; one of the better chick-flicks, imo.

If you want another somewhat obscure Reeve film (with the added awesomeness of Michael Cain) that's worth the watch, watch Death Trap (1982).

RE: Blaxican
Armageddon

I agree with whoever said Terminator 3. t'was a decent movie.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Armageddon

That movie made around 400 million in profit back in the late 90's, it's not underrated, it's clearly overrated, ass.

It should have made 400 trillion. fu

Robtard
It should have made 400 trillion. fu

I bet your 7 year old ass cried in the theater when Willis sacrificed himself for the jerk who was banging his daughter.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
That movie made around 400 million in profit back in the late 90's, it's not underrated, it's clearly overrated, ass.

Calm down, brah. I bet he means that for entertainment value, it's underrated by snobs like us. I'll admit it's entertaining in a stupid sort of way. I enjoy being transported to an asteroid or whatever. That's pretty cool. But it is bad.

Robtard
Calm down, brah.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2011/10/4/905f049a-8285-4fd6-82d3-5aa7c0dc01c6.jpg

I'm actually referring to the fact that the movie is an example of excellent writing, character development, and directing.

Robtard
I'm actually referring to the fact that the movie is an example of excellent writing, character development, and directing.

http://www.socal3g.com/forums/images/smilies/WorfLOL.gif

Nephthys
Kingdom of Heaven. The movie has a 39% on Rottentomatoes. **** you critics.

Kingdom of Heaven was slow as ****.

Nowhere near the unsung masterpiece that is Armageddon.

Nephthys
.up Shut

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I didn't think Kingdom of Heaven was all that great, quite frankly. Not even sure it's worth seeing once. Liam Neeson's character died too soon. That was bullshit. Big mistake, cuz it was pretty boring after that.

Originally posted by Robtard
http://www.socal3g.com/forums/images/smilies/WorfLOL.gif

I second that.

Mr Parker
just thought of a couple more highly underrated movies. Shoot To Kill with Tom Beringer and Kirsty Alley is for sure one so is The Hindenburgh.That was a major tragic event like Titanic was but it doesnt get anywhere near the attention it does mainly cause its an older film I guess.

speaking of Titanic,before Titanic was released in the theaters,a year before it came out there was a tv movie with the same title with George C Scott and Catherine Zeta Jones in it.It was very good as well but it never gets anywhere near the attention that James Camerons film does.

I made a thread of it here sometime back.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t564349.html

It received over a hundred views but there was only one poster that came on and commented about it.he seems to be the only one of those over 100 people who appreciated me making that thread.apparently nobody else seems to have an interest in seeing this lesser known movie which is really sad to see. roll eyes (sarcastic)

C-3POTheClever
Star Wars prequels
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
X-Men: The Last Stand
Spider-man 3
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 2005
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
Fantastic 4

dynamix
i'm not sure about underrated but more appropriately an under-appreciated film, John Carpenter's The Fog. It rarely gets mentioned when speaking of horror classics but it more than deserve a spot. the beautifully haunting seaside setting, the trademark carpenter score and adrien bardeau performance was awesome!

Mr. Rhythmic
District 9
Cloverfield
The Dark Knight Rises
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hellboy

Mr. Rhythmic
Oh, and don't forget

Punisher: War Zone
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Osmosis Jones
Toy Soldiers
Lucky Number Slevin
Devil In A Blue Dress
Ghost Dog

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Oh, and don't forget

Punisher: War Zone
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Osmosis Jones
Toy Soldiers
Lucky Number Slevin
Devil In A Blue Dress
Ghost Dog
How are spider-man, spider-man 2, The Dark Knight Rises & Rocky Balboa underrated? Loads of people love them!

Jedi Sheriff
Series 7: The Contenders
Frailty (Bill Paxton at his best)
Maniac Cop
The Burning
Memento
Robot Jox
In Hell (Van Damme's finest piece of cinema)
A Room For Romeo Brass
Dead Man's Shoes
The 13th Warrior
Hatchet
Session 9
Dobermann
Alice, Sweet Alice
The Omega Man
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

I could probably think of more but that'll do for mow.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
How are spider-man, spider-man 2, The Dark Knight Rises & Rocky Balboa underrated? Loads of people love them!

All I hear is bad mouthing for those films.

Ascendancy
Somewhat of an oldie: The Way of the Gun

New kid on the block that got no love: Robin Hood. That was some quality medieval action and drama.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff

Robot Jox

That was beastly mech action right there.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ascendancy
New kid on the block that got no love: Robin Hood. That was some quality medieval action and drama.

I agree! I actually just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. It may not quite live up to Gladiator standards, but it's solid and entertaining.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Somewhat of an oldie: The Way of the Gun

A personal fav. I really enjoyed the lack of dialogue between Del Toro & Phillippe's characters & yet they still knew what the other was thinking or would react to a situation.

Ascendancy
A personal fav. I really enjoyed the lack of dialogue between Del Toro & Phillippe's characters & yet they still knew what the other was thinking or would react to a situation.
There were all of five other people in the theater when I saw it. Couldn't believe that was such a sleeper.

Jedi Sheriff
He Got Game was such an underrated movie, how Denzel didn't get an award I don't know.

Ascendancy
^I had forgotten all about that one. Great flick indeed.

Jedi Sheriff
^I know, it gets written off as a basketball movie when in reality it's a beautiful story played out brilliantly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.