Holes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
Does anyone know anything about this movie? It's coming out soon! smile It's got that boy from Evan Stevens in it.

Julie
nope.....what's the synopsis on it?

GordonSkywalker
I don't know. I think it has something to do with some young archeologists finding some mystical relic with destructive powers and influence. I just saw the commercial for it last night. laughing out loud

Captain REX
That's not what the book was about.

A kid is convicted of stealing the shoes of his favorite sports star from a sheltering home where the shoes were going towards donation. He is given a choice of going to jail or going to a camp. He opts for the camp, where he discovers that they dig holes all day long. The warden is searching for long lost treasure that should belong to the kid, though he has no idea. The kid's name is Stanley Yelnats.

My literature teacher absolutely HATES this book. big grin

GordonSkywalker
Oh. Well it was rather late when I saw the commercial for the FIRST time. I probably could not remember it accurately.

VampirePrincess
My borther read it and I think looks fun to watch but not to see in the movie theater. To expensive know or days.

GordonSkywalker
It looked like a film one wouldn't expect the Evan Stevens kid to be in. It seemed too grown up for him.

VampirePrincess
No it really doesn't... The books are for kids and the characters are kids.

GordonSkywalker
That's why I was suprised to see his face.

edwinian
Hmmm...I like the trailers. They look pretty cool- don't really know much about the even stevens kid...but i think that this is a movie for all ages b/c yes, it does have 'kids' in it but it also has some really good adult actors in it.

i love the part in the trailer where they are driving away in the bus and there are just all those holes!!!

Tex
Its going to be one of those happy/funny warm hearted Disney movies.

I'll probably wait for it to come on ABC or somethingstick out tongue

Captain REX
Tex, the book's more serious than "happy, funny, and warm hearted." There are these lizards that can kill you in one bite and Stanley (Even Stevens kid) and his black friend Zero are surrounded by a swarm of these. It would suck...

Though it will have stuff like the happy/funny stuff.

edwinian
Its not a Disney movie though...I know I read somewhere that Disney had nothing to do with the production of the movie and just picked it up after Walden was done with it.

But Tex- you are right, there are happy/funny parts, but Rex is also right in that there are other darker parts.

ToMacco
My sister told me I should read it, so I read it last summer. It only took me a couple of days, and it was pretty good.

The movie looks really stupid, though.

crickey77
I don't know. There are some things i love about the trailer (like Patricia Arquetee on a horse). i don't know that much about the main kid, but it seems like he has a pretty big following (i read somewhere else he's also in the new charlie's angels).

i think this movie will do pretty well. the book is super popular, after all.

edwinian
I loved that part with Arquette on the horse...

and yes, you are right, the kid has a huge following from Even Stevens, and I looked and he is going to be Dumb and Dumberer too!!!- big year for him for sure.

kali99
My sister is obsessed with the show Even Stevens.. i've watched it and that kid is really funny. I think i'm going with her to see this one, it looks good to me. And the cast is pretty impressive!!

GordonSkywalker
Who else is in it?

edwinian
here are the main people from the IMDB listing (main being none of the kid stars)

Sigourney Weaver .... The Warden Walker
Jon Voight .... Mr. Sir/Marion Sirvio
Patricia Arquette .... Katherine 'Kissin' Kate' Barlow
Shia LaBeouf .... Stanley Yelnats IV/Caveman
Tim Blake Nelson .... Mr. Pendanski
Henry Winkler .... Stanley Yelnats III
Dule Hill .... Sam the Onion Man
Eartha Kitt .... Madame Zeroni
Rick Fox (I) .... Clyde 'Sweet Feet' Livingston (Basketball Star- forgot about that- cool)

GordonSkywalker
Ah! A cast of heavyweights I see.

edwinian
This has been getting all sorts of great reviews...

***1/2 from Roger Ebert
B+ from Entertainment Weekly

as well as several well written reviews in online papers....

very interesting.

Myndon
Who would make a book on holes??? stick out tongue
Its an ok book, but i think a film might not do it justice smile

GordonSkywalker
I thought it was something entirely different when I first saw the trailers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.