Russia threatens to attack U.S. over Missile Defense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
A few days ago, the Russian Federation threatened a premptive strike against American and NATO forces if the missile defense shield is deployed in Europe. Could the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 scenario (invasion of Europe) actually happen? It would set the U.S. back a decade due to the loss of life. The Iraq and Afghanistan Wars would look like small disagreements. Any thoughts?

Shakyamunison
It is just bolstering. They will get what they want (safety for their people), but preemptive strike would be more destruction to them then to anyone else. Just my opinion.

inimalist
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Could the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 scenario (invasion of Europe) actually happen?

LOL, no

Any thoughts?

Putin is consolidating power with shows of bravado following a highly contested election.

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist

Putin is consolidating power with shows of bravado following a highly contested election.

Bingo. Dick-waving.

Darth Jello
If you wanted the most efficient anti-russian missile shield, wouldn't you place it in Nepal and/or Northern Canada?

This seems more like a deterrent against Aleksander Lukashenko an on again/off again ally of Russia and a genuine global threat.

inimalist
Originally posted by Darth Jello
If you wanted the most efficient anti-russian missile shield, wouldn't you place it in Nepal and/or Northern Canada?

1) ostensibly, the shield is to protect Europe from Iran, not Russia, so, that could be part of it

2) there are multiple stages at which missile defense can target a rocket. Hitting it after launch, while at lower speeds, and over your enemies territory would be massively advantageous.

3) I can't think of an Asian nation that would allow America to build the sites there, with the exception of South Korea, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to know there are such defense systems there.

4) Canada and America have had integrated nuclear defense since before the days of NORAD.

Darth Jello
I was just pointing out that shooting a missile over the arctic circle may be closer than shooting east.

Mr Parker
A few days ago, the Russian Federation threatened a premptive strike against American and NATO forces if the missile defense shield is deployed in Europe. Could the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 scenario (invasion of Europe) actually happen? It would set the U.S. back a decade due to the loss of life. The Iraq and Afghanistan Wars would look like small disagreements. Any thoughts?

cant blame them.If our military facist dictaters have their way it could.Lets just hope our military people get some balls and stand up to our facist military leaders and say -no were not going to do it.otherwise if they go along with what their commanders tell them if it comes down to that,they very well could happen and yeah,those wars would look small.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I was just pointing out that shooting a missile over the arctic circle may be closer than shooting east.

Which has been one of my arguments about the "missile defense system".

However, the defense system is being toted as also a defense for those in eastern Europe....from...more than just the "axis of evil".

inimalist
4) Canada and America have had integrated nuclear defense since before the days of NORAD.

to correct this:

Canada promotes the expansion of missile defense into Eastern Europe to defend against Iranian missiles, but not in the arctic to protect itself from Russian missiles.

I know, right?

Symmetric Chaos
to correct this:

Canada promotes the expansion of missile defense into Eastern Europe to defend against Iranian missiles, but not in the arctic to protect itself from Russian missiles.

I know, right?

I assume there are already missile defenses in Canada so they can already react to Russia pretty quickly and when putting stuff in the Arctic Russia gets a vote (because they're part of an alliance that claims it as a sphere of influence there) whereas Iran gets no vote about what happens in Eastern Europe. Realpolitik.

inimalist
we have radar and such, but no conventional missile shield tech taht I know of. We actually, as government policy, refuse to let the Americans put it up there, presumably because we don't want to look confrontational to the Russians. The cold war stuff is still there though, for sure.

Symmetric Chaos
we have radar and such, but no conventional missile shield tech taht I know of. We actually, as government policy, refuse to let the Americans put it up there, presumably because we don't want to look confrontational to the Russians. The cold war stuff is still there though, for sure.

Huh.

Missile defense shields don't seem confrontational to me. They're defensive by definition.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Huh.

Missile defense shields don't seem confrontational to me. They're defensive by definition.
Russia sees even the slightest threat to their MAD as a provocative gesture/confrontational gesture.

It's a ridiculous position, but it's the one they've taken.

Russia is doing every thing it can to escape global irrelevance. That includes dick measuring.

Mindset
Russia is just mad at the US because we exposed them in Chernobyl Diaries.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.