Martial Art Styles in Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

red sabre
i am not sure if this thread belongs to the VS forums so if not i am sorry, anyway just wanted to make a list of characters and the fighting styles they are using and overall what styles you would like to see them using,i think it could be interesting

i know Daredevil is using ninjitsu

shang chi is using traditional kung fu

i would love to see someone using sambo or BJJ in comics it could be interesting

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by red sabre
i am not sure if this thread belongs to the VS forums so if not i am sorry, anyway just wanted to make a list of characters and the fighting styles they are using and overall what styles you would like to see them using,i think it could be interesting

i know Daredevil is using ninjitsu

shang chi is using traditional kung fu

i would love to see someone using sambo or BJJ in comics it could be interesting

Outside of stealth Daredevil really doesn't use much ninjitsu. The hand to hand component of ninjitsu is similar to judo, with a lot of joint locks, grappling and throws, which Matt doesn't use that often (and he obviously doesn't implement the more lethal weapon styles in his combat arsenal). There is much more eskrima, boxing, muay thai and gymnastics in his style than there is ninjitsu.

Q99
Very few characters really have set styles, though some have preferences- Nightwing has a very acrobatic style, Batman has a very hurty style, Shiva's pretty direct, Cassandra Cain has a weird super-agile style.

Black Canary used to be a judo type who used a lot of throws, but later grew into more of a striker.

Wildcat's a boxer, of course.

RL ninjutsu, which is in fact based on Judo, yea. Matt learned *Hand* ninjutsu. Fictional ninjutsu is an assassin art that works differently.

He also mixes in boxing.

Very few comic artists know how to make grappling work- mainly because grappling requires a bit more knowledge than striking, both to draw and for the reader.

srankmissingnin
Regardless of what style a character claims to use... most of them are drawn using some variation of CQC.

Cogito
They all do what they want and a writer throws a name (or hundred) at the style(s) used.

DarkSaint85
Quack-Fu.

gogogadgetgo
they all use comic-fu since be in ninjitsu, kung-fu, aikido, judo, karate, taekwondo, jit kun do, etc etc etc, they all look the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.