Loki's Adopted Joke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KingD19
http://73adoptee.blogspot.com/2012/05/avengers-why-is-making-fun-of-adoption.html

I can't honestly believe that a simple joke, which is incredibly funny and makes perfect sense in context is taken so seriously.

marwash22
lol. that can't be serious.

ares834
Wow. People always love to take minor things and make a huge deal about them. Even worse the author doesn't seem to understand that the humor of that line doesn't come from the fact that Loki is adopted but rather from Thor attempting to distance himself from Loki.

KingD19
Exactly. I'd distance myself from my brother if I learned he killed almost 100 people in 2 days too. Adopted or not.

Esau Cairn
I can't believe I just wasted my time reading that article....

RE: Blaxican
I was sueprised until I realised the author was a woman.

She probably isn't even all that bothered by the adoption joke, she was just looking for a reason to get mad.

Placidity
All women are secretly insane, just need the right trigger to unleash it.

KingD19
If I was her husband, I would have busted out laughing. Can't be married to someone so serious anyway.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

She probably isn't even all that bothered by the adoption joke, she was just looking for a reason to get mad.

If you read more of her blog, it's surrounded by others,like her, who have issues regarding adoption or being adopted.

There's one blogger who says they hate holidays because they always imagine their birth parents enjoying themselves, celebrating without him/her.

I laughed.
Adopted people are funny. Happy Dance

Robtard
She's trying to be edgy and using something that's insanely popular at the moment as a spring-board.

I highly doubt if she head that same joke in some Hollywood flop she'd have ranted like a moron in her blog about it. Why, cos there would be no audience for it pro and against.

Arachnid1
Yep, that article was a waste of my life. That joke was damn funny.

Existere
I read the first half of the article, and then it started to sound like a conspiracy theory so I bailed.

In the half that I did read, the author got all sorts of angry but failed to actually highlight why the joke was problematic, instead just bitching about the fact that it apparently is and what a travesty it is that nobody else felt similar offense.

I think it's not necessarily cool to imply that adoption is a form of lesser child bearing or breeds bad seeds, but that whole dilemma doesn't really apply in the Thor/Loki situation, which is pretty obvious with the slightest bit of objective scrutiny.

Myth
Originally posted by KingD19
Exactly. I'd distance myself from my brother if I learned he killed almost 100 people in 2 days too. Adopted or not.

Same here.

The ironic part to me is that in her holiday post, she criticizes her birth parents. There was a lot of anger and sadness behind her post, and thus she actually reminded me of Loki. She is trying to tell us that it is bad that Marvel made a storyline revolving around and upset adoptee, yet that is exactly what she is: mad about being an adoptee. Comics are often made to be symbolic of real life experiences. My guess is that somebody who was heavily involved in creating Thor and Loki had some family dynamics that involved feeling like in a brother's shadow and potentially adoption. Loki was likely used to express anger that was built up behind all those feelings.

super pr*xy
"Cue entire theater laughing.... except for me. (And my husband, who knows better.)"

i stopped reading after this.. why? to start a petition to knock that b!tch off her high horse..

first off.. this is a movie with one dude turning green upon provocation, the other guy wears a high-tech suit of armor, then there's the one that hits everything with bow and arrow, plus the super-spy that always looks sexy whatever they put her in, not to mention the super soldier that was wearing stars and stripes.. did we mention the demi-god?

second.. he IS adopted, he KNOWS he's adopted, AND HE JUST KILLED 80 PEOPLE IN 2 DAYS..

Bentley
Didn't Odin murder Loki's father anyways and comes from an entirely different race? I seriously ask because this is the movie cannon which I don't know.

ares834
Loki kills his own father in Thor.

And yep, in the movies Loki is a frost giant like in the comics.

BruceSkywalker
Didn't read the article but most likely the author is jealous over the success that The Avengers is having

Barker
Author is an idiot/hoping to get some publicity over her stupidity.

Newjak
I thought the joke was simply really funny.

If Thor really thought that way he wouldn't have spent half the movie trying to convince his brother to stop.

TheAuraAngel
If anyone should get upset it's the Chitauri. Every scene they're in portrays them as assholes. And weak assholes at that. Freaking racist man.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I can't believe I just wasted my time reading that article....

Dr Will Hatch
This was worthy of a thread, why? No one but a troll could take something so out of context.

Esau Cairn
Adopted redheads always have issues.

Lord Shadow Z
My mother was adopted into a different part of the family and she thought it was funny. The author of the article sounds very controlling in wanting people to take her stance on the matter.

It's not as if he said 'He's adopted, that's why he is evil, twisted and a murdering psychopath'. It was a just a comment to offset the mild embarrassment in first supporting Loki, then finding out what he had done. That's all.

If there is a bit of an extremist TDKR feeling behind the article or after when some of them find it that is just pathetic.

Mindship
I got the impression, not only from the main article but from the reader comments following, that a number of adoptees may have unresolved issues about being adopted. Are most adoptees like this? I have no idea. But at least for some, perhaps the question, "Why didn't my birth parents want me?" may be a painful wound which lingers throughout one's life.

Again, I'm guessing. This is a demographic with which I have virtually no experience.

DARTH POWER
Yes Avengers was insulting to adopted people.

And TDK was an insult to Clowns everywhere.

Nephthys
3SUWirDGJZc

Adopted people sure are touchy. First that, now this.

For the record though, they are adopted and thats terrible.

NemeBro
The reason the joke pisses me off is that it implies that all people that kill a hundred people in two days are adopted.

I am not adopted Avengers, and I find it very offensive that you would suggest such a thing.

Mindset
Brilliant.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NemeBro
The reason the joke pisses me off is that it implies that all people that kill a hundred people in two days are adopted.

I am not adopted Avengers, and I find it very offensive that you would suggest such a thing.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm a clown, and still very peed off at how TDK represented my people as being psychotic serial killers.

roughrider
And I didn't like the implication that all middle eastern culture is good for is shawarma! That deserves a petition!

KingD19
I'm black. I don't wear an eyepatch!!!

DARTH POWER
^ Yeah that pretty racist having the only Black guy in the film wear an eye patch.

steverules_2
I would never punch a woman...but after reading that I wanted to hit her so hard, and the people who agreed with her. The adoption line was funny, I laughed...my friends laughed...the audience laughed, her husband is clearly whipped. She a long with the people who agreed with her should be put in a rocket on a one way trip to the sun.

KingD19
The sun didn't want them. That's why they're adopted.

steverules_2
I'm a God and I don't have a hammer...

DARTH POWER
The line was an insult to the gods. It mocked norse mythology. I protest!

Esau Cairn
Adoption juz means your birth mother wouldn't swallow...

Mindship
http://www.amfor.net/acs/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272735898000282

I wonder if the blogger is aware of this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.