Which Animes Are a Good Buy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Big O
I've been really getting into the whole anime thing and I would like to buy some. Which ones do you recommend I buy and in what form (IE, DVD or manga?) I have no adverseness to girly animes, either.

Q99
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars/Banner of the Stars II anime. My favorite space series.

The Big O
What's the premise?

Q99
Based on a series of novel. Boy is son of prime minister of independent world when empire of genetically engineered humans called Abh role into town. Prime Minister makes a deal for the surrender of the planet that makes him, and thus his son, nobles in Abh Empire, much to the dislike of much of the populace.

Boy is sent to join Abh Star Forces uears later (as a supply officer) as service is mandatory for nobles, meets young Abh royal.

Then there's small matter that there's another large space empire who rather dislikes generically engineer types, and a war breaks out (Crest is pre-war, the Banners are during).

Some of the largest fleet battles of any visual SF are involved.

It has a very deliberate pacing- it feels a bit slow at times, but it also wastes no time on recaps or rehashing of stuff you know and no filler whatsoever. A lot of time is spent on the exploration of Abh culture. The Abh as a whole aren't exactly the good guys, just the side that the main characters happen to be on (on the large scale it's sort of grey-grey. The UM is a bit worse than the Abh, but you can see where they're coming from, and both of the major powers are imperalistic with what that entails, just in very different ways). There's also a lot of character development of the leads.

The Big O
Character development is one of my greatest loves in anime droolio

Anything else?

Q99
Melancholy of Haruhi, at least the first season (the second season has Endless Eight, which reduces the dollar efficiency of the purchase).

It's a slice-of-life school anime with lots of character development, and the title character is something of a reality-warper but doesn't know it, who is obsessed with aliens, espers, and time travelers but doesn't think they exist, is in a club with an alien, esper, and time traveler who are trying to keep her out of the loop of such things, and the main viewpoint character is a deadpan snarker.

The Big O
Sounds interesting. But "snarker?" What is that?

Q99
Originally posted by The Big O
Sounds interesting. But "snarker?" What is that?

Makes sarcastic comments and observations.

vansonbee
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4725/Ga-Rei:_Zero

check my profile at that site above for more anime, I rated them in my "watched list"

vansonbee = user name

Darth Ray Park
Death Note is really cool anime, so is Akira, Cowboy bebop, Gundam Wing and are Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.