What does the future hold for comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hulkbuster1
Comics books have gone through alot of transitions. As far back as my parents can recall they use to read alot of comics like Captian Marvel,Miss marvel and anything dc related with few comics like xmen. Well they told me comics use to be 5-10 cents in those days and that you could find comics book shops quite frequently. Well flashfoward and me being born in the 80's I had the experience of growing up with alot awsome things the late 80s and 90s had to offer. My personal introduction to comics as a kid in elementary school , though i'm a casual reader, was by a black freand in 4 grade. He took me to a comic shop and I was mesmerised. At the time xmen was popular 94' in our school while spiderman was about to gain a huge fanbase,tnx to the 96' cartoon, well I saw a bunch of comics and though I saw the xmen cartoon I like the original artwork of the uncanny x-men. I bought that and marvel cards with portfolio which were pretty hot. In 7 grade I bought comics by myself at toysrus and at the time I remember purchasing venom vs. juggernaut,spawn,sonic,simpson and clone saga inside these plastic slids and sold together as deals. Well by highschool I barley saw any comic book shops and the few I saw where far out of town. The only places I saw comic books where at grocery store like wal-mart (note 50's sold at grocery stores) and they had a few selection but mostly mangas which were overtaking american comics. Well Inbetween these eras comics evolved from a nerd community hobby to mainstream thanks in part to video games,movies,internet,gameboards and mostly movies. But Imo movies and video games are more popular than comicbooks. And comics are going digital with the raise of apps and e-reader. I believe comics will be here in some form or another and will continue to gain the mainstream audience. we are of coarse in a stage lacking the myths and traditions of oldtimes but comics are slowing feeding us with new modern icons. Well folks whats your opinion will comic shops still be around in 40 yrs and what coarse do you see the industry taking, well comic books become a retro collection? How will the industry evolve example comic books,media and merchandising? So far original Comic covers as posters and encyclopedia books about comics are some of the new things that have emerged as well as online stores.

Endless Mike
Wong forum dude

Existere
lol, definitely didn't read

DarkSaint85
Great story, bro.

Needs more dragons.

dmills
As far as the big two are concerned in 5 years I believe that the comics will be all but indistinguishable from the movie and animated universes. It'll be complete synergy between mediums and that'll be the end for traditional readers.

jalek moye
Originally posted by dmills
As far as the big two are concerned in 5 years I believe that the comics will be all but indistinguishable from the movie and animated universes. It'll be complete synergy between mediums and that'll be the end for traditional readers. While I can see that happening it'd be more like 10-15 years IMO.

rotiart
Rawr!

red sabre
I am the future of comics

dmills
Originally posted by jalek moye
While I can see that happening it'd be more like 10-15 years IMO.

No way it takes 10-15 years. This is the digital age my man, nothing takes 10-15 years anymore lol! Look at how subtle it's been thus far. We've got Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury and agent Colson in mainstream Marvel continuity now. You've got the insecure side kickish version of Nova from the ultimate Spider man cartoon in mainstream Marvel now instead of the badass war general and post Annihilation space cop version. Avengers Assemble is in mainstream continuity etc. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense to move more into the animated/Film versions. They're everywhere. It's the comic versions that are often out of step with what casual fans are being bombarded with. In terms of marketing, profits etc it's the movies and cartoons that are mainstream. Sadly, its the hardcore fans that are the minorities.

Hulkbuster1
Originally posted by dmills
No way it takes 10-15 years. This is the digital age my man, nothing takes 10-15 years anymore lol! Look at how subtle it's been thus far. We've got Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury and agent Colson in mainstream Marvel continuity now. You've got the insecure side kickish version of Nova from the ultimate Spider man cartoon in mainstream Marvel now instead of the badass war general and post Annihilation space cop version. Avengers Assemble is in mainstream continuity etc. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense to move more into the animated/Film versions. They're everywhere. It's the comic versions that are often out of step with what casual fans are being bombarded with. In terms of marketing, profits etc it's the movies and cartoons that are mainstream. Sadly, its the hardcore fans that are the minorities. Well I think comics in book form will become obsolete and as for comic book store they might end up like blockbuster pretty soon. heck comics aside I wonder how long can video game magizines last? I personally hate reading comics from e-reader it feels so wrong.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Hulkbuster1
Well I think comics in book form will become obsolete and as for comic book store they might end up like blockbuster pretty soon. heck comics aside I wonder how long can video game magizines last? I personally hate reading comics from e-reader it feels so wrong.

You'll be surprised by the how the comic stores will remain strong regardless of the new digital medium. Book form of comics will remain as long as there is money in it. And this new digital age is only going to increase the worth of physical comics in the long run.

Movies like the recent Avengers bursted sales in comic stores.
Plus holding a comic will always be better than reading it on a screen.

Hulkbuster1
Originally posted by the ninjak
You'll be surprised by the how the comic stores will remain strong regardless of the new digital medium. Book form of comics will remain as long as there is money in it. And this new digital age is only going to increase the worth of physical comics in the long run.

Plus holding a comic will always be better than reading it on a screen. Originally posted by the ninjak

Plus holding a comic will always be better than reading it on a screen.

true I guess shifty as for characters within comics they might be getting an overhaul to get modernize. Heck I wouldn't be surprise if they overhaul batmans origin and make him gay based on his time with dick greyson the old robin or was it the young one?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by red sabre
I am the future of comics ...well that explains a lot.

Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.