Movies that were surprisingly good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dynamix
I tried the search engine and didn't see anything like this so I'll just start one. So yeah, what movie(s) have u watched actually turned out to be better than you thought?

I'm going with. Blood sports 2. It was very goofy and cheesy but the fight scene was surprisingly awesome! If you can look past the corny story and over-acting, I think you'll be pleasantly surprise.

Patient_Leech
This isn't too different from the "Underrated" movies thread..

dynamix
Well I feel "underrated" is more of a consensus thing. Surprisingly good, to me, means a verdict against personal bias...as oppose to a group consensus...if that made any sense at all,lol. But I think I know what u mean, so mods, u can close this thread if u want.

marwash22
i's different...

the Underrated thread - something that doesn't get enough credit or being good.

this thread - something you had low expectations for BEFORE YOU SAW IT and liked it when you did see it.

Robtard
Children of Men

I had no idea what I was going to see besides the basics and I wasn't expecting much, but 20ish minutes into it, it turned to be a solid Sci-Fi flick and overall great movie.

dynamix
Originally posted by Robtard
Children of Men

I had no idea what I was going to see besides the basics and I wasn't expecting much, but 20ish minutes into it, it turned to be a solid Sci-Fi flick and overall great movie.

As a sci fo enthusiast....I think I'm going to check that out.

Patient_Leech
I think Children of Men classifies as more of an underrated movie. stick out tongue

Yeah, it's great. It's a work of art, which is why I think it's underrated.

marwash22
it can be both.

marwash22
Drive.

heard a lot of hype about it, but had serious doubt that it would be a good movie or that Ryan Gosling could pull off being a badass. The movie turned out to be one of my favorites of the year.

Myth
Cabin in the Woods. I actually thought it would be ok, but it was surprisingly awesome.

rudester
saw this a few weeks back. I didnt expect it to be so funny..

http://www.moviezit.com/wp-content/pictures/Being-There-1979-movie-pics.jpg

harry1233
yeah i saw this movie and good movie

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by marwash22
Drive.

heard a lot of hype about it, but had serious doubt that it would be a good movie or that Ryan Gosling could pull off being a badass. The movie turned out to be one of my favorites of the year.

I was disappointed after listening to all the hype.
Gosling played the strong silent type but that shouldn't be mistaken as good acting IMO.
The ending was a let down too...walking away from both the money & woman he cared for.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Myth
Cabin in the Woods. I actually thought it would be ok, but it was surprisingly awesome.
Eh, not too different from a lot of the things you'd see on netflix.

Patient_Leech
The Beach. Definitely. I thought it was great. Never would have thought it'd be that good. The voice over worked really well. I know that's usually frowned upon by critics, but i like it. It almost reminded me of Fight Club.

RE: Blaxican
21 Jump Street comes to mind. I had zero expectations for the movie- turned out the shit was hilarious.

0mega Spawn
Riki-Oh

DaC9WfQ-Fzg&feature=related

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Gosling played the strong silent type but that shouldn't be mistaken as good acting IMO.
The ending was a let down too...walking away from both the money & woman he cared for.

The good acting was in his body language and facial expressions, and his ability to sell a scene and characters emotion without dialogue. He nailed it. Gosling should have got a best actor nomination for it. I mean... Clooney in the Descendants? Get out of here, the guy didn't emote a single time! Every time you thought he was about to the scene changed and the film cut to something else.

Limitless. I thought the movie would suck because I hated Bradely Cooper but I ended up loving the movie and not hating Cooper nearly as much. The Eagle for the same reasons regarding Chading Tatum or whatever his name is.

marwash22
Up.

I typically have zero tolerance for sappy movies, and even less for animated ones. I watched it with my niece and probably liked it more than she did.

Myth
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Eh, not too different from a lot of the things you'd see on netflix.

Please elaborate. I'd like to know if the movies you are speaking of are ones I've seen or not.

dynamix
Moon

With a name Like that, I had no idea what to expect but turned out to be a great movie!

the ninjak
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Bouboumaster
Lucky Number Sleven
Idiocracy

C-3POTheClever
X-Men Orgins: Wolverine
Meet the Robinsons
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Toy Story 3
How to Train your Dragon
Probably many more!

SmileyPredator
Centurion

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

super pr*xy
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

people were looking for that money.. and he just killed a whole crime "family".. people will be coming after him.. why would he jeopardize the woman he loved and her kid? seems like a good call..

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The good acting was in his body language and facial expressions, and his ability to sell a scene and characters emotion without dialogue. He nailed it. Gosling should have got a best actor nomination for it. I mean... Clooney in the Descendants? Get out of here, the guy didn't emote a single time! Every time you thought he was about to the scene changed and the film cut to something else.

Limitless. I thought the movie would suck because I hated Bradely Cooper but I ended up loving the movie and not hating Cooper nearly as much. The Eagle for the same reasons regarding Chading Tatum or whatever his name is.

IMO body language & facial expressions can easily be achieved by a good director & cinema-photographer rather than relying on an actor.
Yeah I enjoyed The Eagle too & Channing Tatum is an excellent example of both director & camera-man bringing more depth to his acting skills.

damsel-distress
One Day
I didn't think it can be that good, especially 2 leading stars - Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, especially Anne. So many moving scenes in this movie, especially when Dex told Em that he's getting married. Oh my sister cried a lot seeing this.

janus77
Cloverfield
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (not the remake, that was crap).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.