Destiny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack Fair
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110519191053/bungie/images/2/24/Destiny_logo.jpg

First game developed by Bungie after it divorced Microsoft. Scheduled to be released in 2013 for the xbox(LoL) Will be an action game will have 3 sequels and 4 downloadble expansions

OkDx_uFacA0

RE: Blaxican
Already have plans for four sequels and a ton of DLC?

They sure are confident, aren't they?

lol @ Bungie neglecting one of Zane's favorite franchises, though.

Zack Fair
i am somewhat disappointed with the news. Working on another sci-fi shooter...but who knows. i wish they made it much more atmospheric like Bioshock. I still remember how Halo 1's first flood level scared me senseless.

Kazenji
Story and Concept art leaked

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2012/11/28/destiny-story-details-concept-art-leaked

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
lol @ Bungie neglecting one of Zane's favorite franchises, though.

This is good.

I sincerely hope Bungie never returns to Marathon.

Zack Fair
EwOUi4JDC4o

FinalAnswer
"Pathways out of darkness"

Ha.

Kazenji
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

I sincerely hope Bungie never returns to Marathon.

Why's that?

FinalAnswer
Because I don't trust today's videogame developers to handle a series like Marathon.

Especially when it involves Activision.

Nemesis X
I agree.

Kazenji
Because I don't trust today's videogame developers to handle a series like Marathon.

Especially when it involves Activision.

sorry if i haven't been following anything Bungie related

but is that who owns Marathon now?

NemeBro
Bungie are the original developers of Marathon, lol.

Kazenji
Wow what a great help you are.

Zack Fair
"Pathways out of darkness"

Ha. Originally posted by Kazenji
Why's that? Originally posted by FinalAnswer

Especially when it involves Activision. Originally posted by Nemesis X
I agree. Originally posted by Kazenji

but is that who owns Marathon now? Originally posted by NemeBro
Bungie are the original developers of Marathon, lol. Originally posted by Kazenji
Wow what a great help you are. http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/tonymondavi/brick-ilovelamp.jpg

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kazenji
Wow what a great help you are. Okay, what were you asking?

dadudemon
I hope, a whole bunch, that it incorporates some RPG elements to the weapons and equipment systems. I enjoy busting through some levels and then being rewarded with something that actually alters my gameplay for the easier. That's a legit reward. Not something stupid like a 1% damage increase.

I don't think Bungie can make a bad game. I'll play this game, no doubt.

FinalAnswer

but is that who owns Marathon now?

Activision is buddy-buddy now with Bungie, and their contract dictates that Bungie can only devote 5% of their staff to a Marathon related project.

Bungie still owns Marathon, but Activision meddling is Activision meddling.

Tzeentch._
I had no idea Activision owned Bungie's soul.

Why leave Microsoft for that?

FinalAnswer
I've heard Microsoft pissed off Bungie somehow, but that's just hearsay.

Kazenji
Activision is buddy-buddy now with Bungie, and their contract dictates that Bungie can only devote 5% of their staff to a Marathon related project.

Bungie still owns Marathon, but Activision meddling is Activision meddling.

Thanks for the info.

Tzeentch._
A CG trailer (no gameplay).

jS1BM9XRgvw

Nemesis X
eAbpZfqE8r4

BackFire
This is currently my most anticipated game that's coming out in the near future. Looks incredible.

Newjak
Originally posted by BackFire
This is currently my most anticipated game that's coming out in the near future. Looks incredible. Same here I absolutely plan on buying this game. I'm also going to be in the beta for it!

Tzeentch._
Looks pretty sci-fi shooter standard so far. I need to see more.

Tzeentch
I watched a 7 minute long gameplay video of this.

idk. It seems to basically be Borderlands with Halo gameplay. That's awesome if you want something like that. At this point in my life, I'd like a bit more out of a shooter though.

Lek Kuen
No pc on this, is lame as hell.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I watched a 7 minute long gameplay video of this.

idk. It seems to basically be Borderlands with Halo gameplay. That's awesome if you want something like that. At this point in my life, I'd like a bit more out of a shooter though.

I would agree with that.

It's also crazy that Activision has spent $500 million dollars on this game. Hopefully it all works out!

Zack Fair
I'm actually not that hyped about Destiny. Would be cool if they manage to deliver the hype. I just know how Bungie uses different words to hype the shit out of things in their vidocs. They did it all the time with Halo.

Zack Fair
And i ended up accidentally preordering this X_x

Estacado
313wank
hRRKtkuOeig

Zack Fair
While I want to get excited to this...I'm wary of watching Bungie vids. ****ers are magicians when it comes to hyping their games. No one does it better.

dadudemon
I'll probably get it if the MMO-aspect of the game isn't a huge part of the game.

Meaning, if the campaign is good and can be done by just one player (without stupid difficulty because they makers are forcing you to play it with friends like Diablo 3 did), I'll enjoy this.

Estacado
Originally posted by Zack Fair
While I want to get excited to this...I'm wary of watching Bungie vids. ****ers are magicians when it comes to hyping their games. No one does it better.
What if pre order comes with a master chief exclusive armor?biscuits

Zack Fair
You had me at Master Chief 131

Zack Fair
A friend of mine is playing the Alpha and he says he is having a lot of fun

Estacado
Im gonna go with the warlock that's for sure.Im a sucker for magic.313

Zack Fair
I haven't researched the classes. can you give me a briefing, bro?

Estacado
Here you go.Classes are Titan ,Warlock and Hunter.
http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Class

Estacado
Hunter

http://www.destinypedia.com/Hunter

Titan

http://www.destinypedia.com/Titan

Warlock

http://www.destinypedia.com/Warlock

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Estacado
Hunter

http://www.destinypedia.com/Hunter

Titan

http://www.destinypedia.com/Titan

Warlock

http://www.destinypedia.com/Warlock thumb up

Zack Fair
A lot of people were hating on the game and stuff. Saying it lacked style and looked boring. After E3's hands on and the alpha build it seems many of those people are now praising the game.

NemeBro
I'd play it and stuff if I had a PS4.

Estacado
^
It also comes out for last gen.

NemeBro
Only pussies buy next-gen games for last-gen consoles.

Arachnid1
Pussies.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by NemeBro
Only pussies buy consoles.

I agree

Nemesis X
Bite a mushroom stick.

BackFire
Alpha was solid. I'll be buying it.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Bite a mushroom stick.

Sorry, I'm not into little boys

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Sorry, I'm not into little boys

http://media.giphy.com/media/xHA1HbY0vwGVq/giphy.gif

The Renegade
The alpha was entertaining. The game looks amazing and plays well, even for an alpha.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Renegade
The alpha was entertaining. The game looks amazing and plays well, even for an alpha.

NICE! This brings me lots of hope. They poured tons of money into this so it had better deliver in how it plays.

The Renegade
Although, in all fairness, I don't consider it a "true" alpha, mainly because an alpha is usually a game that is much earlier in development, not three months before release.

However, it looks and feels great. Also, it can be difficult and challenging, which is a plus.

NemeBro
Can you access the alpha with a PS3?

Zack Fair
No idea.

The Renegade

No. The alpha weekend ended and I believe it's only current gen (PS4, X1). The next access will be the beta, which is only available for those who have preordered the game, and that's July 17th. I believe that's also only on current gen but I'm not entirely sure.

dadudemon
No. The alpha weekend ended and I believe it's only current gen (PS4, X1). The next access will be the beta, which is only available for those who have preordered the game, and that's July 17th. I believe that's also only on current gen but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for the info. thumb up

Estacado
Only pussies buy next-gen games for last-gen consoles.
Lookit dat pussy wantin to play dem game on his retro console.uhuh

NemeBro
There's a difference between trying a free alpha and actually buying the game on a retro console you illiterate ****ing redneck dog-****er.

Estacado
Keep telling that to yourself if it makes you sleep better.biscuits

dadudemon
There's a difference between trying a free alpha and actually buying the game on a retro console you illiterate ****ing redneck dog-****er.

http://www.livememe.com/hf9wnc1.jpg

Look how much this place has changed. smile

The Renegade
It's ****ed how much this ghost town of a forum has changed.

It still has lurkers underneath the dusty saloons and horse stables.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by dadudemon
http://www.livememe.com/hf9wnc1.jpg

Look how much this place has changed. smile In fact, he was recently banned on another forum for calling me a coward. haermm

NemeBro
It's true, Blax and I discussed the irony after I made my post to Estacado.

Impediment
Serious question: Is this game going to be one of those games where you can log over 300 hours, like a WoW game?

I understand the premise of it being a FPS RPG-esque game, but does it have a definitive length? I'm the type of gamer where I can play a good 60-80 hour game, but that's about my limit. I keep seeing this "over the next ten years" spiel.

Tzeentch
It seems to be similar to an MMO in that they'll continuously add additional content to it over time. New abilities, classes, missions etc.

However, if I had to guess, there will be an initial "end game" mission where you complete the "story", and then eventually they'll an all-new campaign with its own set of missions and stuff.

Zack Fair
Figures PSN goes down the day the beta opens. -.-

Zack Fair
Downloading now woot

Arachnid1
Let us know your impressions.

The Renegade
I don't like the level cap remaining the same as in the alpha.

I will let everyone know how it was when the beta is over.

Tzeentch
You'd better.

uhuh

Zack Fair
First impressions:

1. Graphics are beautiful.
2. Soundtrack is reminiscent of Halo(not a bad thing at all)
3. Character creations look sweet.
4. Gameplay is unbelievably tight and responsive. I am absolutely in love with the meshing of Halo styled gameplay with CoD/Battlefieldesque controls. I welcome the change for as good as Halo's controls are, and were the best for a time, using a triggger to aim down the sights is much better than pressing the joystick.
5. The competitive multiplayer shows a lot of promise.
6. I can't FKN stop playing. I started playing at 11pm and next thing I knew the sun came up. Very few and rare games manage to accomplish this feat nowadays.
I don't like the level cap remaining the same as in the alpha.

I will let everyone know how it was when the beta is over. Whats the cap?
I'm really liking it.

Estacado
What classes did you choose?

Zack Fair
The manliest of Guardians: Hunter

The Renegade
I'll give some early impressions and keep on going as I play, as opposed to just waiting until it's over.

(Note: I have not done competitive multiplayer yet.)

I've gone with a Warlock. The level cap is eight.

My impressions are similar to Zack Fair's impression. The graphics are great, the gameplay is tight, it's responsive, and character customization isn't horrendously elaborate (no sliders) but the options you're given are decent. Also, the class powers are cool. The special grenade you get when you're a Warlock doesn't just explode. Instead, it sucks the life out of enemies rapidly in this vivid purple aura.

I like that the hairstyles are "far out" and unique. Many have criticized this but it makes sense that hairstyles would appear different many years into the future.

Some criticism? Peter Dinklage's voice acting is weak and the framerate is a tad skippish for 1080p. It's nothing drastic but I'm sure they'll iron it out. Also, not being able to turn my character around three hundred and sixty degrees is irritating when creating a character.

This obviously isn't a major criticism but I like to see what the hairstyles look from behind, especially the female ones, and you basically have to do the intro sequence and get to the tower before you can. That sucks.

Other than that? It's great. Running around giant open spaces, doing quests, and joining other players in live events is incredibly entertaining. I don't know what the story is like but, in terms of looks and feeling, This game has it down like it should. It's budget (exceeding hundreds of millions) surely did not go to waste, in that respect.

These are my impressions, as of so far. I'll note that this is not a review and, at least, not a full one. As a policy, I don't review alpha or beta stages in games as it is not the complete product.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Zack Fair
MP unbalance is pissing me off lol. Having said that the game has lots of potential, but it won't iron it out on time.

Newjak
I've gotten to play a little of the alpha and beta.

Rock solid game. I'm definitely picking this up.

I'm going to be rocking a Titan.

Kazenji
Halo-lands, This is all it is.

The Renegade
Nah, it doesn't feel much like Halo at all. Bungie could have made just about any science fiction game and I feel like they would all draw these types of comparisons.

Kazenji
Nah, it doesn't feel much like Halo at all. Bungie could have made just about any science fiction game and I feel like they would all draw these types of comparisons.

You didn't get it when i said "Halo-Lands" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tzeentch
I didn't either.

Can you explain?

Estacado
Think he ment its halo gameplay mixed with border lands xp system and sandbox world.

Nemesis X
And Kazenji says it like it's a bad thing.

Estacado
srug
As long as its fun I dont care.

dadudemon
I'll give some early impressions and keep on going as I play, as opposed to just waiting until it's over.

(Note: I have not done competitive multiplayer yet.)

I've gone with a Warlock. The level cap is eight.

My impressions are similar to Zack Fair's impression. The graphics are great, the gameplay is tight, it's responsive, and character customization isn't horrendously elaborate (no sliders) but the options you're given are decent. Also, the class powers are cool. The special grenade you get when you're a Warlock doesn't just explode. Instead, it sucks the life out of enemies rapidly in this vivid purple aura.

I like that the hairstyles are "far out" and unique. Many have criticized this but it makes sense that hairstyles would appear different many years into the future.

Some criticism? Peter Dinklage's voice acting is weak and the framerate is a tad skippish for 1080p. It's nothing drastic but I'm sure they'll iron it out. Also, not being able to turn my character around three hundred and sixty degrees is irritating when creating a character.

This obviously isn't a major criticism but I like to see what the hairstyles look from behind, especially the female ones, and you basically have to do the intro sequence and get to the tower before you can. That sucks.

Other than that? It's great. Running around giant open spaces, doing quests, and joining other players in live events is incredibly entertaining. I don't know what the story is like but, in terms of looks and feeling, This game has it down like it should. It's budget (exceeding hundreds of millions) surely did not go to waste, in that respect.

These are my impressions, as of so far. I'll note that this is not a review and, at least, not a full one. As a policy, I don't review alpha or beta stages in games as it is not the complete product.

This is the type of review I was looking for.

thumb up

This is my most anticipated game in years.

Originally posted by Estacado
srug
As long as its fun I dont care.

Halo-Lands? (Amalgamation of Halo and Borderlands)

**** yes. Sign me up. That sounds like an awesome game.

Estacado
This is the type of review I was looking for.

thumb up

This is my most anticipated game in years.

Halo-Lands? (Amalgamation of Halo and Borderlands)

**** yes. Sign me up. That sounds like an awesome game.
thumb up
Yup.
Been waiting for a borderlands type of game.

313wank

jV8B_-iJSXA

Zack Fair
Warlock is a lot more fun than Hunter for me. Enjoyed MP more with the Warlock, eventhough the flying/jetpack thing is a lil underwhelming.

Estacado
^
Ha told ya magic is the only way!uhuh

Newjak
I've played Titan and Hunter.

I enjoyed the Titan better, more suited to my play style

Zack Fair
Problem with the hunter is that he feels too effin weak/squishy. That double jump is beast though.

dadudemon
I thought I would play as hunter when the game is released. Seems to fit more my play style. Totes my goats in Borderlands 2. smile

Smasandian
It's fine. Going to pick it up when it gets released but I totally see Halo-Lands. Hell, they even give you a AI that follows and talks to you...

Arachnid1
I've been playing as a Hunter Exo (the machine race). So far, this game is a blast! Its cool just running past other players going about their missions on while I'm in a random part of the map doing my own missions. It all comes off as very MMORPGish, and its ****ing awesome. I'll definitely be picking this game up when it comes out.

Zack Fair
Yeah the campaign/sp/mmo coop facets are well done. Feels really cool.

The Renegade
You didn't get it when i said "Halo-Lands" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Halo + Borderlands = Halo-Lands, I imagine. Regardless, the implication was that it's like Halo, which I disagreed with.

Smasandian
It is though....

You character wakes up and gets introduced by an AI that goes with and tells you where to go and to watch out for things. You also have a radar very similar to Halo and the regenerating shield. I also think I heard a few similar Halo sounds as well.

Doesn't mean its a bad thing but this game doesn't seem to push any new gaming boundaries.

I don't like how you go to third person at the city. I totally look weird.

The Renegade
Originally posted by Smasandian
It is though....

You character wakes up and gets introduced by an AI that goes with and tells you where to go and to watch out for things. You also have a radar very similar to Halo and the regenerating shield. I also think I heard a few similar Halo sounds as well.

Doesn't mean its a bad thing but this game doesn't seem to push any new gaming boundaries.

I don't like how you go to third person at the city. I totally look weird.

Nah, not really.

The radar is common in more game than Halo, along with the "regenerating shield." Shields, even ones that generate, are prevalent in sci-fi games. A "few similar Halo sounds?" That's a straw clutch, to me.

I'm not saying it abstains completely from sharing elements that Halo had. It doesn't. It has a similar style, especially due it being the same developer, but it being called "Halolands" and "Next gen Halo" are unwarranted because I don't think it shares enough to warrant such titles. So, I wouldn't say there's enough to claim it's "like Halo." I think it would need to share a lot of things for that to be reasonable.

Also, your evaluation seems to have a shred of confirmation bias attached to it. You didn't seem to highlight any of the differences but rather a few similarities, some more desperate than others and some commonly found in science fiction.

I even get the "wake up to A.I." thing but it's just so separated from what happens. In Destiny, it's implied you were dead. In Halo, MC was sleeping. In Destiny, the A.I. recovers you. In Halo, you meet the A.I. after being woken up by assorted crew members. Destiny, male hovering bot. Halo, female holo A.I.

Not to mention, we haven't seen enough to assume that Ghost will develop like Cortana did. Ghost could have a completely different character development and role than Cortana did. It's a little early to write it off as similar because it's also an "A.I." and it's there at the beginning of the game.

Also, I don't know if it pushes many boundaries, especially due to the fact that the full game isn't out yet.

Zack Fair
It is though....

I don't like how you go to third person at the city. I totally look weird. Hmm it does feel like Halo/albeit with better controls. The radar and regenerating shield is such a standard for shooters nowadays that I wouldn't use them to compare it to Halo. Everything else is Halo like. From a ghost-like personal vehicle to the way the enemies behave and even the ships that arrive and deliver new Fallen feel very Covenant. I agree. The game is not revolutionary as far as the the actual shooting gameplay goes(its pretty much a halo reskin) however it might get to be revolutionary if the MMO aspects live up to the hype.

Props to Bungie for always delivering awesome AI though. Some of the fallen have genuinely surprised me. Either by outflanking me, or pushing when I'm reloading from relocating and stuff.

The radar sucks balls, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Zack Fair
I really like how you can summon the ghost at any point in a matchmaking/competitive game. I also like how you can switch weapons on the go without having to actually pick them up. Really interesting dynamic BUngie found there.

Smasandian
Nah, not really.

The radar is common in more game than Halo, along with the "regenerating shield." Shields, even ones that generate, are prevalent in sci-fi games. A "few similar Halo sounds?" That's a straw clutch, to me.

I'm not saying it abstains completely from sharing elements that Halo had. It doesn't. It has a similar style, especially due it being the same developer, but it being called "Halolands" and "Next gen Halo" are unwarranted because I don't think it shares enough to warrant such titles. So, I wouldn't say there's enough to claim it's "like Halo." I think it would need to share a lot of things for that to be reasonable.

Also, your evaluation seems to have a shred of confirmation bias attached to it. You didn't seem to highlight any of the differences but rather a few similarities, some more desperate than others and some commonly found in science fiction.

I even get the "wake up to A.I." thing but it's just so separated from what happens. In Destiny, it's implied you were dead. In Halo, MC was sleeping. In Destiny, the A.I. recovers you. In Halo, you meet the A.I. after being woken up by assorted crew members. Destiny, male hovering bot. Halo, female holo A.I.

Not to mention, we haven't seen enough to assume that Ghost will develop like Cortana did. Ghost could have a completely different character development and role than Cortana did. It's a little early to write it off as similar because it's also an "A.I." and it's there at the beginning of the game.

Also, I don't know if it pushes many boundaries, especially due to the fact that the full game isn't out yet.

It's not completely like Halo and that's why people are calling it "Halo-Lands" because its shares a lot of aspects with Borderlands.

Again, it's not a bad thing but there is similarities.

Zack Fair
so who has the beta for PS4? I hear its now accessible for everyone. Might try it on 360 for the lolz. Hopefully can tag along some of you guys

-Pr-
I have a question that may seem weird.

I keep hearing that there's some sort of third person functionality in the game, but every game play video I see is in first person.

Is there anything in the game that's 3rd person?

Zack Fair
The Hub/MMO base where players can interact/get gear/bounties/rewards/missions is entirely 3rd person.

-Pr-
Ah okay, thanks.

BlackZero30x
Enjoying the beta but I still don't know if I think its worth buying. The three classes are the only three that will be in the game and that kinda bums me out. I hit the level cap on the day the beta started(which was technically a day early because I pre-ordered the game). Found the area filled with level 20's. They are completely immune to everything lol. It definitely has potential but im undecided right now. Im a Warlock and I love it! I just wish there could have been a few more classes released to the full game.

XanatosForever
So apparently all Xbox Live Gold Members are allowed to play the Destiny Beta for free. Just saw it on my 360's dashboard and hit download. Not a bad move for Microsoft, I think.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by XanatosForever
So apparently all Xbox Live Gold Members are allowed to play the Destiny Beta for free. Just saw it on my 360's dashboard and hit download. Not a bad move for Microsoft, I think. ...people had to pay to play the beta?

Smasandian
I think he meant that you didn't need a beta key from a purchase of a game?

Not sure what that means.

For me, the first section of the game where it's all dark and the fallen are chasing you is what will get me into this game. I want more sections like that where it's a bit scripted and such plus the open world Borderlands style of gameplay.

Arachnid1
I think he meant that you didn't need a beta key from a purchase of a game?

Not sure what that means.

For me, the first section of the game where it's all dark and the fallen are chasing you is what will get me into this game. I want more sections like that where it's a bit scripted and such plus the open world Borderlands style of gameplay. Actually, from what I heard, the beta was up for 15 euros. Someone actually payed for it, or so I've read. I'm not sure of the legitimacy.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Enjoying the beta but I still don't know if I think its worth buying. The three classes are the only three that will be in the game and that kinda bums me out. I hit the level cap on the day the beta started(which was technically a day early because I pre-ordered the game). Found the area filled with level 20's. They are completely immune to everything lol. It definitely has potential but im undecided right now. Im a Warlock and I love it! I just wish there could have been a few more classes released to the full game. You realize you're basing a purchase on the beta, right? You don't have to buy it day 1. You can just wait and see how the rest of the game goes. To be honest to complain about the cap is pointless. And you can still level up and unlock new abilities, even while capped. I agree about the classes, but who knows. I smell lots of DLC incoming lol.

dadudemon
Enjoying the beta but I still don't know if I think its worth buying. The three classes are the only three that will be in the game and that kinda bums me out. I hit the level cap on the day the beta started(which was technically a day early because I pre-ordered the game). Found the area filled with level 20's. They are completely immune to everything lol. It definitely has potential but im undecided right now. Im a Warlock and I love it! I just wish there could have been a few more classes released to the full game.

What is up my unblack brother? big grin

About the classes...

Would subclass specialization remedy your class gripe? Basically, a way to specialize in 3 different areas in each class?

For instance: the hunter cam specialize in melee bladed weapons, long range sniper skills, or mid-range specialist.

That would bring the total class count to 9 rather than 3.

Zack Fair

About the classes...

Would subclass specialization remedy your class gripe? Basically, a way to specialize in 3 different areas in each class?

For instance: the hunter cam specialize in melee bladed weapons, long range sniper skills, or mid-range specialist.

That would bring the total class count to 9 rather than 3. This too. I was going to bring it up, but since I don't know much about it I avoided it. Where will you be playing dude?

BlackZero30x

About the classes...

That would bring the total class count to 9 rather than 3.

lol No too much.

Actually yeah I really like that idea. I just feel like 3 is so absolutely limited.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Zack Fair
You realize you're basing a purchase on the beta, right? You don't have to buy it day 1. You can just wait and see how the rest of the game goes. To be honest to complain about the cap is pointless. And you can still level up and unlock new abilities, even while capped. I agree about the classes, but who knows. I smell lots of DLC incoming lol.

That was the entire point for me to play the beta....to see if I thought it would be something I would like to buy. As I said though, Im on the fence. I mean it was really fun doing the missions and even the free roam missions and world events were nice. Even though it takes forever for an event to happen. Im not so sure how I feel about the super chargers in PVP though. It seems a little hectic for everyone to have a one hit kill attack. A guy attacked me while in the tank...I used my super and not only was it an instant kill but it destroyed the tank too. plus I was disappointed by not having any duels. Maybe there will be some in the final product.

As for the level cap...I don't mind the cap of at lvl 8 but I feel getting to lvl 10 in the beta would have been nice since I have been getting lvl 9-10 item pickups.

Im sure with more content I would love it and I know there will be more content but atm I think your right...I should wait a bit before buying.

Zack Fair
Played the 360 version and daaaaamn. I was expecting a drop in the visual department, but not that hard a drop. It still manages to look...good considering how big the map actually is.

Wonder how much bigger the actual game will be.

XanatosForever
I have to agree with you there, Zack. I haven't even caught a glimpse of XBox One/PS4 quality and I could tell that the visuals were quite subpar. Mostly on the few panning shots I watched, mainly. In combat everything seems to have a good amount of detail.

I played through the intro, and I have to say I liked the pacing, a lot. The ambience was solid in my opinion, I really felt the sense of dread at being stuck in enemy territory. The gunplay was solid, but that's really no surprise given Bungie's history. I chose the Warlock class, and while I'm not really good at handling grenades, I think I'll be able to have a lot of fun with it once I unlock some more abilities.

If I had the time and money, I could definitely see myself investing both heavily into the game when it finally launches. For now I'll be glad I can give it a run for a short while.

Smasandian
The gunplay is extremely solid. Very good sound indicators as well.

It seems to be a well developed game. It's going to be a good one. A great one? Who knows.

I still don't like 3rd person in this game. Totally brings me out of the game.

dadudemon
lol No too much.

Actually yeah I really like that idea. I just feel like 3 is so absolutely limited.

thumb up

Personally, I would love to make a hybrid class of Long Range and Melee (for Hunter). Sure, I won't be able to maximize skills in either area but that's kind of my play style.

dadudemon
Originally posted by XanatosForever
I have to agree with you there, Zack. I haven't even caught a glimpse of XBox One/PS4 quality and I could tell that the visuals were quite subpar. Mostly on the few panning shots I watched, mainly. In combat everything seems to have a good amount of detail.

I played through the intro, and I have to say I liked the pacing, a lot. The ambience was solid in my opinion, I really felt the sense of dread at being stuck in enemy territory. The gunplay was solid, but that's really no surprise given Bungie's history. I chose the Warlock class, and while I'm not really good at handling grenades, I think I'll be able to have a lot of fun with it once I unlock some more abilities.

If I had the time and money, I could definitely see myself investing both heavily into the game when it finally launches. For now I'll be glad I can give it a run for a short while.

I like to read these things about the game.

I am not very big on MMORPGs but if that element of the game feels secondary to an amazing story, I really don't care if this is an MMO.

If devs can take notes from Skyrim and Mass Effect, it is that an immersive world can work in a single player RPG Adventure (and RPG-FPS). There's no reason to jump on the MMORPG bandwagon with every single ****ing game.

Newjak
thumb up

Personally, I would love to make a hybrid class of Long Range and Melee (for Hunter). Sure, I won't be able to maximize skills in either area but that's kind of my play style. Cool I was planning on going close range for my Titan mostly with some Heavy Weapons stuff going on.

Zack Fair
I think the game will be very solid. TBH I wish it had more MMO elements. i want really rare drops that will become useful in a non-balanced PVP match. So long as there is a balanced PVP like there is now it would not be a problem IMO. The motivation behind unbalanced MP would be getting incredibly rare drops. i'd also like the lvl system to be a bit slower.

XanatosForever
I like to read these things about the game.

I am not very big on MMORPGs but if that element of the game feels secondary to an amazing story, I really don't care if this is an MMO.

If devs can take notes from Skyrim and Mass Effect, it is that an immersive world can work in a single player RPG Adventure (and RPG-FPS). There's no reason to jump on the MMORPG bandwagon with every single ****ing game.

Well yeah, gotta say I had a major disconnect when I arrived at The Last City and saw a fellow Guardian hopping around on the roof of one of the shops, or when they'd randomly start dancing at me...or when they'd stand right in the same spot I was and our bodies merged (that was a little disturbing). I imagine taking on my next mission will still have the feel, with a squad or solo.

Zack Fair
I think I've only been disconnected twice, and one of them was because I was torrenting like a mofo.

Zack Fair
Lets play faggarts.

Tzeentch
Just got through downloading it on my 360.

Just from the music, I'm getting classic Halo vibes. Feels good, honestly.

NemeBro
Shut up moron.

Tzeentch
shut dese

Zack Fair
lol

Zack Fair
You played it yet Blax? Lets play tomorrow during the main event they have planned >D

Tzeentch
Played it for a few hours, got a few missions into it.

The mechanics are definitely a Halo-Borderlands blend... though I noted that pages ago. At this point in my gaming career the controls strike me as being pretty standard fare. They don't encumber you, though I do feel very sluggish when I'm moving around in combat mode (meaning lots of twitch-moving, popping in and out of ADS, juking etc). I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the actual controls versus the fact that I've been playing shooters exclusively on PC for the past year or so.

Haven't leveled up enough to give any clear commentary on the RPG/class system. I'm currently a level 3 Titan, and the flash-bang and super-jump ability seem pretty neat.

The game's AI is a real highlight and treat for me. I've done all the missions so far on hard difficulty and firefights can get pretty intense- especially during boss-fights (I died four or five times against the first mission boss). I like that the AI is challenging but in a fair way. In most games, the AI is difficult on the harder difficulties for because the game simply buffs their health and damage output, making them hard to kill but easy to die too. In this game, there's less of an arbitrary distinction between the enemies on different difficulties. They seem a little bit more durable to damage, but the real threat is how much they pressure you. It is objectively terrifying when you need to reload or your shields drop and you can see in real time the enemy forces hopping out of cover to rush you. They pressure you, they flank you, they use cover liberally and hide from your radar long enough for you to forget they're there. More than one of my deaths could be attributed to being too aggressive or bold, and getting overwhelmed by superior firepower.

I like the gun mechanics, though I worry about cover during extended bossfights. During the first boss fight, I ended up running out of ammo with my primary weapon, which was frustrating as I'd barely missed with any of my shots- the boss was just a tough bastard. I also don't like that your weapons share ammo.

Anyway, those are first impressions. I'll have more tomorrow.

Also, **** yeah @Zack. I'm down to play.

Tzeentch
So... for the past 20 minutes or so, my sexy space-elf has been dancing right at the City spawnpoint.

As I speak, there's about 8 people dancing or tea-bagging around me.

This is the greatest attention whoring opportunity I have ever stumbled upon.

Arachnid1
Hey! For those of you who have finished all the missions, the moon has been opened up!

Zack Fair
MUST! HAVE!

I usually dance in one of the rails where the ship docks lol. At one time there were 20 people jumping over and dying in an attempt to reach me LOOL

BlackZero30x
yeah I was sad it was only one mission on the moon but it was kind expected lol

@Zach: at one point me and my friends spent like two hours just trying to push each other off of those

Arachnid1
Alright, I've spent a ton of time on this beta. It's so damn fun. I have a maxed out Hunter, Warlock, and Titan. Of all the classes, I think the Hunter is my favorite. They have some serious style, and awesome abilities. In the main game, their double jump will have an upgrade that replaces it with a teleportation ability. They will also have ton of arc (electric) attacks, and increased sprint speed/mobility.

Of all the classes, I think the Titan is my least favorite. Its your typical tank soldier class. It doesn't seem very fun. The Warlock and Hunter are both more interesting for me.

As of now, this is some of the most fun I've had in online co-op. Bungie has completely outdone itself with this game. It dwarfs any other game or series they've ever made. This, along with Division and MGSV are my top most hyped games.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Alright, I've spent a ton of time on this beta. It's so damn fun. I have a maxed out Hunter, Warlock, and Titan. Of all the classes, I think the Hunter is my favorite. They have some serious style, and awesome abilities. In the main game, their double jump will have an upgrade that replaces it with a teleportation ability. They will also have ton of arc (electric) attacks, and increased sprint speed/mobility.

Of all the classes, I think the Titan is my least favorite. Its your typical tank soldier class. It doesn't seem very fun. The Warlock and Hunter are both more interesting for me.

As of now, this is some of the most fun I've had in online co-op. Bungie has completely outdone itself with this game. It dwarfs any other game or series they've ever made. This, along with Division and MGSV are my top most hyped games.

I didn't know hunters had a teleport. In fact I thought that was only warlocks that got Teleport and the Warlock can upgrade to lighting strike as well...

NemeBro
Downloading the beta right now for PS3. May or may not bless you all with my objective thoughts on the game.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Beta is fun. The enemy AI is one of the highlights.

Arachnid1
I didn't know hunters had a teleport. In fact I thought that was only warlocks that got Teleport and the Warlock can upgrade to lighting strike as well... The Warlocks also have it? That I didn't know. The Hunters have a subclass called Bladerunner that gives them electric powers, teleportation, invisibility, and massive speed upgrades. It just seems like it would be the most fun for me, although the Warlocks are absolute mosters. That would make Titans the only class to have no teleportation ability. Lol lame class.

NemeBro
I've played the prologue with each class as of now.

First of all: Why are all but the opening cutscene unskippable? Why game? Why do this? For what purpose? I've seen this two times already I don't need to ****ing see it again. It's jarring, and frustrating, to say the least.

The controls are tight and responsive (Without being overly responsive), no complaints there.

The classes feel and play differently, even without having unlocked all of the unique powers, which I enjoyed. The difference was most noticeable to me when I played the Hunter (After having done the Titan). The Titan's footsteps are heavier, because of his mass when he comes to a dead stop after running he almost seems to skid on his boots, and of course he's just slower than the Hunter, while also having much higher armour. Playing the Titan makes you feel like a god of war, striding through the battlefield and wading through enemy fire. Before you kill your enemy by punching him in the head. The Hunter by comparison is quicker, lighter on his feet, he just feels so much lighter. I found myself naturally acclimating to this role quickly; fighting from a healthy distance, playing more tacticooly, relying on the sniper (Glad they gave you it during the prologue) and using the assault rifle and knife when enemies closed the distance.

The Warlock by comparison was underwhelming and just felt overall worse. Sure it recovers health quicker but eh, as far as how playing the class felt it was just a shittier version of the Hunter only I get a useless ****ing shotgun. I mean, I'm sure it's more fun later, when you actually get spells, but as far as the prologue is concerned it is just less fun and you don't really get a feel for how the Warlock should be played. Also, having each class only get a grenade at the end was lame IMO.

The level design is rather boring and drab in the prologue. It's a big empty level, and despite its size ultimately very linear. Felt very boring IMHO. This is actually probably my biggest complaint (Along with the character creation). The level was so big yet so devoid of content playing it actually made me feel tired, as if the sheer emptiness of it was weighing down on my mind.

The shotgun is basically a melee weapon. It's worthless if you're over five feet away from the enemy and yes this is a bad thing. Its damage is so poor beyond that that I'd just use the assault rifle from such distances, and any closer and I'd just opt to punch them for the quick kill, saving ammo. Shotguns being so close-range is never a good thing in games IMHO, and I don't know why so many devs make them so.

The shadowing is terrible on PS3. Like, surreal in its badness. My shadow and the shadows of other things looks almost 8-bit in quality. It actually distracted me.

Music is good.

Enemies are rather generic and boring so far. There's the Space Pirates from Metroid, bigger Space Pirates from Metroid with hats, and little drone guys. None are particularly hard nor interesting in their fighting, and their designs are just average. Not awful, but not too interesting.

Didn't care for my robot Titan having a generic white guy voice.

The character creation was a big disappointment for me. It's very bare-bones, you can only choose between a few pre-rendered faces, give them hair (Or weird face and head things in the case of the robot), change race and gender, and give them tattoos. There's nothing like scarring, you can't change anything but the face, and most shocking you can't even give your character facial hair. Even Mass Effect 1 had better character creation. I am really hoping there's more content for customization during the actual release.

Peter Dinklage's voice acting is rather bland and devoid of charisma. In fact, so far the game has little in the way of charisma or flair. It's rather super srs bsns so far, which may or may not turn out to be a problem for me in the long run.

I jumped over the rail in the hub immediately just to see if I could because that's what men do.

Don't have much else to say. I'll keep playing, maybe add more later. To sum up my thoughts, it definitely isn't bad and is certainly playable, but it really hasn't lived up to its hype so far. Maybe it will. I'll find out.

Also my characters are:

A male Exo Titan.

A male human Hunter.

A female Evolved Warlock.

Arachnid1
I've played the prologue with each class as of now.

First of all: Why are all but the opening cutscene unskippable? Why game? Why do this? For what purpose? I've seen this two times already I don't need to ****ing see it again. It's jarring, and frustrating, to say the least.

The controls are tight and responsive (Without being overly responsive), no complaints there.

The classes feel and play differently, even without having unlocked all of the unique powers, which I enjoyed. The difference was most noticeable to me when I played the Hunter (After having done the Titan). The Titan's footsteps are heavier, because of his mass when he comes to a dead stop after running he almost seems to skid on his boots, and of course he's just slower than the Hunter, while also having much higher armour. Playing the Titan makes you feel like a god of war, striding through the battlefield and wading through enemy fire. Before you kill your enemy by punching him in the head. The Hunter by comparison is quicker, lighter on his feet, he just feels so much lighter. I found myself naturally acclimating to this role quickly; fighting from a healthy distance, playing more tacticooly, relying on the sniper (Glad they gave you it during the prologue) and using the assault rifle and knife when enemies closed the distance.

The Warlock by comparison was underwhelming and just felt overall worse. Sure it recovers health quicker but eh, as far as how playing the class felt it was just a shittier version of the Hunter only I get a useless ****ing shotgun. I mean, I'm sure it's more fun later, when you actually get spells, but as far as the prologue is concerned it is just less fun and you don't really get a feel for how the Warlock should be played. Also, having each class only get a grenade at the end was lame IMO.

The level design is rather boring and drab in the prologue. It's a big empty level, and despite its size ultimately very linear. Felt very boring IMHO. This is actually probably my biggest complaint (Along with the character creation). The level was so big yet so devoid of content playing it actually made me feel tired, as if the sheer emptiness of it was weighing down on my mind.

The shotgun is basically a melee weapon. It's worthless if you're over five feet away from the enemy and yes this is a bad thing. Its damage is so poor beyond that that I'd just use the assault rifle from such distances, and any closer and I'd just opt to punch them for the quick kill, saving ammo. Shotguns being so close-range is never a good thing in games IMHO, and I don't know why so many devs make them so.

The shadowing is terrible on PS3. Like, surreal in its badness. My shadow and the shadows of other things looks almost 8-bit in quality. It actually distracted me.

Music is good.

Enemies are rather generic and boring so far. There's the Space Pirates from Metroid, bigger Space Pirates from Metroid with hats, and little drone guys. None are particularly hard nor interesting in their fighting, and their designs are just average. Not awful, but not too interesting.

Didn't care for my robot Titan having a generic white guy voice.

The character creation was a big disappointment for me. It's very bare-bones, you can only choose between a few pre-rendered faces, give them hair (Or weird face and head things in the case of the robot), change race and gender, and give them tattoos. There's nothing like scarring, you can't change anything but the face, and most shocking you can't even give your character facial hair. Even Mass Effect 1 had better character creation. I am really hoping there's more content for customization during the actual release.

Peter Dinklage's voice acting is rather bland and devoid of charisma. In fact, so far the game has little in the way of charisma or flair. It's rather super srs bsns so far, which may or may not turn out to be a problem for me in the long run.

I jumped over the rail in the hub immediately just to see if I could because that's what men do.

Don't have much else to say. I'll keep playing, maybe add more later. To sum up my thoughts, it definitely isn't bad and is certainly playable, but it really hasn't lived up to its hype so far. Maybe it will. I'll find out.

Also my characters are:

A male Exo Titan.

A male human Hunter.

A female Evolved Warlock.

Agreed on almost all points. For the Warlocks though, give them more of a chance. They get more fun as you progress and unlock abilities. Their glide gets them farther than and higher than any class, and they have a pretty amazing super. Their damage output can be pretty massive.

Also, I liked Dinklages Ghost. He is a bit flat at times, but there were moments were he would deliver a line that that would put a smile on my face.

The level design on that map isn't as linear as you think. Explore a bit, and it can be pretty fun. If you go from marker to marker, you'll kill the experience for yourself a bit. Also, try playing with other people if possible. The co-op is where this game really shines. The last level of the beta is called The Devils Lair. Get to level 7 or 8, and play that level on the hardest difficulty. It'll be a stupid fun hour of your life.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed on almost all points. For the Warlocks though, give them more of a chance. They get more fun as you progress and unlock abilities. Their glide gets them farther than and higher than any class, and they have a pretty amazing super. Their damage output can be pretty massive.

That's actually why I'm gonna progress a bit with the Warlock first. I do get the vibe that she (In my case) really starts to come into her own, commercially and artistically, later on. The prologue didn't really differentiate her enough which is a shame but I'm holding hopes that continued playing will do so.

Eh, we'll see I guess.

Could be, the one big snowy part had a few hidden places with ammo but it still felt empty to me tbh.

dadudemon
Downloading the beta right now for PS3.

I think this is part of your problem...

You're playing the game on a console that is almost 8 years old in a world where gaming computers become obsolete every 2-3 years.

NemeBro
I think this is part of your problem...

You're playing the game on a console that is almost 8 years old in a world where gaming computers become obsolete every 2-3 years. That's true, but I don't really play consoles too much anymore. I'll buy the game for PC if I do so (It's getting a PC release date later on IIRC).

Anyway, I take back some of my criticisms. On the first level after the prologue I immediately went away from where the game was directing me to and found enemies, so it isn't entirely linear and there is some value to exploration.

I also rather like that after embarking on missions I can see other players who are in the area. That was cool.

NemeBro
Just wandered into a Hallowed Knight at level 2 and got two shot.

Awesome. haermm

dadudemon
That's true, but I don't really play consoles too much anymore. I'll buy the game for PC if I do so (It's getting a PC release date later on IIRC).

Yes, I plan to buy it for the PC, too. I plan to upgrade my PC specifically for this game (really, I'll upgrade the whole thing except the SSD card).

NemeBro
Solo'd first boss on hard.

He was a slowly walking bullet sponge with easily avoidable attacks and minions that respawned.

How dull, lol.

NemeBro
On my first Explorer mission.

Can't help but notice the first boss' room and possibly the whole level is being reused.

Lol.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>