Egytian Elections Begin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
. . . and they're looking very hostile.

From the coverage I get here it sounds like the only serious contenders are those backed by the military and those backed by the Muslim Brotherhood. Both groups are already preparing to accuse the other of fraud if they win.

Apparently this isn't going to be settled until mid-June unless one candidate completely destroys the others at the polls today and tomorrow. The president won't have any power for a long time because parliament can't come to an agreement on what authority the president should have.

Thoughts? Prophecies of doom?

Shakyamunison
I wish then the best of luck.

RE: Blaxican
We should intervene and show them how real democracy works.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
We should intervene and show them how real democracy works.

We've already done that.

RE: Blaxican
Not in the past 6 months we haven't.

lil bitchiness
I like Khaled Ali in the elections and I'm inbetween with Sabahi. Fotouh will turn Egypt into even bigger disaster than it already is...probably.
Mursi is a psychopath and hope he gets no votes.

Robtard
They need to go back to having a Pharaoh ruling them, Democracy doesn't work there.

blesson
best of luck

Symmetric Chaos
So the count is in.

Morsi (Muslim Brotherhood) 25.3%
Shafiq (military candidate, former Prime Minister) 24.9%
Sabahi (secular left wing, third party) 21.5%

At the moment Sabahi is out of the running for the June finals because he came in third but he's accusing the others of fraud in the election.

lil bitchiness
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/165965_272386749525187_232698385_n.jpg

Morsi will win. Egypt is dead, so hello Iran number 2.

TheBigManRevo
Well I hope that Ahmed Shafik Wins Because I hate Islamists

Omega Vision
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/165965_272386749525187_232698385_n.jpg

Morsi will win. Egypt is dead, so hello Iran number 2.
The Egyptian Election is a Cynic's dream come true.

"What if Shafik wins?"
"Well then it's Mubarak v2.0--that's if the military even cedes any power at all, if not then you have a junta"

"What if Morsi wins?"
"Well then you have a theocracy--that's if the military even cedes any power at all, if not then you have a nominal theocracy that's really a secular junta"

TheBigManRevo
Shafik isn't Mubarak V2.0

Omega Vision
Originally posted by TheBigManRevo
Shafik isn't Mubarak V2.0
Not necessarily, but I was representing the cynic's viewpoint...which is just a little more extreme than mine.

I like to hope something good will come of this.

TheBigManRevo
come of what exactly and What Problem do you have with Shafiq Because you said "which is just a little more extreme than mine" so you believe that he isn't the one may I know why??

Omega Vision
come of what exactly
The election...and the revolution...what else?

I don't have a problem with him, except for the fact that he was close enough to Mubarak to be appointed Prime Minister during a crisis.

As for my position being close to the cynic's, that's more a matter of my concern that the Military Council will retain ultimate authority after the election. And these generals came to their positions under Mubarak. Tantawi--I believe--was one of Mubarak's ministers. The more removed from the old guard a potential president is the more resistance there will be to a backslide to the old order.

TheBigManRevo
yepp I know but tantawi is a good guy

secondly what you don't know mubarak wasn't rolling Egypt his wife and elder son was
and Shafiq was close to him as a human not as a president so He has nothing against him

Mubarak himself isn't a bad but he cheated by his wife and his son

and he was the Prime Minister at the time people wanted and they welcomed that in the first place but then refused it

Omega Vision

What evidence is there for this?

TheBigManRevo
Because he wasn't one ruling egypt it was his wife and his son

I know this is wrong but he isn't that bad in himself

Omega Vision
Because he wasn't one ruling egypt it was his wife and his son

I know this is wrong but he isn't that bad in himself
I asked for evidence. You just repeated your original assertion without additional support.

TheBigManRevo
What evidence do you need

Omega Vision
What evidence do you need
At least one credible, independently-verified source that thinks that Mubarak was a pawn to his wife and son?

TheBigManRevo
All in Arabic Dude

Omega Vision
All in Arabic Dude
The oldest dodge in the book.

TheBigManRevo
not dodge I can give it you but can you read arabic

Omega Vision
No, can you find a way to translate it?

If not, you're basically saying "take my word for it".

inimalist

what are the sources? like, Al Jazeera Arabic? Al Arayiba? etc?

TheBigManRevo
Al-Jazeerah , Al-Arabya , Al-Youm Al-Sabea , etc

I can translate it but it would take a while for me sice I don't Speak English Well

So you may find my translation a little bit Stupid (or a lot stupid)

inimalist
just link the news stories then, google does a half decent arabic-english translation

lil bitchiness
yepp I know but tantawi is a good guy

secondly what you don't know mubarak wasn't rolling Egypt his wife and elder son was
and Shafiq was close to him as a human not as a president so He has nothing against him

and he was the Prime Minister at the time people wanted and they welcomed that in the first place but then refused it

Aywa, I agree.

His son would have sold Egypt (or what was left of it). Mubarak wasn't THAT bad.
Morsi will get Shari'a in and then women will be screwed (literally and figuratively)

Symmetric Chaos
http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-announce-presidential-poll-result-monday-072152725.html

So Shafiq's offices just got set fire by a mob.

TheBigManRevo
http://www.masress.com/october/112734

What do you think

lil bitchness are you Arabian?

lil bitchiness
You mean if I'm a khaleeji? Nope, I'm not. You?

TheBigManRevo
Egyptian but I'm by Arabian do you come from any Arab Country

Shakyamunison

She's from London.

(note: I have no idea were she is from.)

Symmetric Chaos
I thought she was Chinese.

Omega Vision
For some reason I'm thinking she's Albanian.

inimalist
http://www.masress.com/october/112734

from what I can make of it, that sounds like Mubarak ass kissing to the extreme...

oh, poor Mubarak, he is losing his hair because of the stress of the revolution, a bloo bloo bloo

Nope, I'm not.

Initially European (I'm tempted to say from the UK, but I think I'm confusing you for Ush, no offense, authority figures all look the same to me), though you have lived in Quebec and China.

lil bitchiness

Not really. I grew up and was educated in the West.

Originally posted by inimalist
from what I can make of it, that sounds like Mubarak ass kissing to the extreme...

oh, poor Mubarak, he is losing his hair because of the stress of the revolution, a bloo bloo bloo

Initially European (I'm tempted to say from the UK, but I think I'm confusing you for Ush, no offense, authority figures all look the same to me), though you have lived in Quebec and China.

Almost spot on...

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I thought she was Chinese.

Nah, China is my base camp in the far east. Base camp in Europe is England, base camp in Middle East are the Emirates. Base camp in North America is Canada (Quebec).
I have no bases in Africa, South America, Australia, Antarctica or Central Asia. cry

Originally posted by Omega Vision
For some reason I'm thinking she's Albanian.

Dafuq?! No.

Omega Vision
Not really. I grew up and was educated in the West.

Almost spot on...

Nah, China is my base camp in the far east. Base camp in Europe is England, base camp in Middle East are the Emirates. Base camp in North America is Canada (Quebec).
I have no bases in Africa, South America, Australia, Antarctica or Central Asia. cry

Dafuq?! No.
Yeah, Albanians are usually more ready to stop teasing and just give the guy anal. biscuits

TheBigManRevo
after where is she from ? big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.