Red Norvell VS Supergirl

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
Pre-DCnU Supergirl. Who wins?

Delta1938
All I know of Red Novell is second hand. Did he do anything other than go at it with Thor in a strength lock?

krisblaze
Supergirl 10/10

Magnon
Yeah, Supergirl every time.

Pillow Biter
Supergirl is tough to rate. Her power levels have been pretty inconsistent.
One reason is an outside-comics reason: Wonder Woman. DC has struggled to find the right positioning for Diana in the DCU, and Supergirl can be problematic for a lot of takes on Wonder Woman, particularly the "Female Superman and Alpha Woman of the DCU" take.
AN in-comics problem is that as inconsistent and contradictory as the portrayal of Superman's dynamic power has been, Kara's is even less sketched out. A big part--the most universal aspect--of Superman's power variability is that he holds back a lot more than other heroes. And Kara is said to not hold back nearly as much. However, other elements to Superman's dynamic power have been advanced, and while they are not as universally subscribed to by writers as the holding back factor, they appear quite frequently. These include "mentally regulated" powers--something that amplifies the holding back dynamic. Or the tying of Superman's powers to his emotional state--some writers have said he either absorbs more sunlight when stressed, or uses it more efficiently. There have probably been other explanations.
But the bottom line is that very little has been said about Kara's ability to dial it up to eleven, or beyond. Really, even if Wonder Woman is an equal or near-equal to SUperman, and more formidable than Superman day to day, both Superman and Kara should be able to exceed Diana in extremis. We see that from Kal all the time, but I haven't seen it from Kara or Power Girl, or even Val Zod. Just Kal El.

Zack M
Originally posted by krisblaze
Supergirl 10/10

Delta1938
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
Supergirl is tough to rate. Her power levels have been pretty inconsistent.
One reason is an outside-comics reason: Wonder Woman. DC has struggled to find the right positioning for Diana in the DCU, and Supergirl can be problematic for a lot of takes on Wonder Woman, particularly the "Female Superman and Alpha Woman of the DCU" take.
AN in-comics problem is that as inconsistent and contradictory as the portrayal of Superman's dynamic power has been, Kara's is even less sketched out. A big part--the most universal aspect--of Superman's power variability is that he holds back a lot more than other heroes. And Kara is said to not hold back nearly as much. However, other elements to Superman's dynamic power have been advanced, and while they are not as universally subscribed to by writers as the holding back factor, they appear quite frequently. These include "mentally regulated" powers--something that amplifies the holding back dynamic. Or the tying of Superman's powers to his emotional state--some writers have said he either absorbs more sunlight when stressed, or uses it more efficiently. There have probably been other explanations.
But the bottom line is that very little has been said about Kara's ability to dial it up to eleven, or beyond. Really, even if Wonder Woman is an equal or near-equal to SUperman, and more formidable than Superman day to day, both Superman and Kara should be able to exceed Diana in extremis. We see that from Kal all the time, but I haven't seen it from Kara or Power Girl, or even Val Zod. Just Kal El.

Wut? Not only do you make things needlessly convoluted, but you refer to Val-Zod, indicating you're talking Post-FLASHPOINT when the topic is Pre-FLASHPOINT?

Pillow Biter
Comics are written by multiple writers with loose editorial supervision at best.
They are simple, but when we want to ask these kinds of questions like "Who was more powerful" the answers are complex if you want to get close to the truth. There's no simple or easy way to do it most of the time. And no scientific approach that you can use to prove you are right to anyone who disagrees with you.

iceman24567
Yup Supergirl wins

Delta1938
Comics are written by multiple writers with loose editorial supervision at best.
They are simple, but when we want to ask these kinds of questions like "Who was more powerful" the answers are complex if you want to get close to the truth. There's no simple or easy way to do it most of the time. And no scientific approach that you can use to prove you are right to anyone who disagrees with you.

Seriously dude, why do you even post? I hardly ever see you debate, you mostly just talk about how consistent or inconsistent comics are. In a way you're an awful lot like H1. You take something that has it's place in debates to an absurd and unnecessary extreme. Even the times you actually debate are about as much this as arguments.

Pillow Biter
You want a regulated, easy to arbitrate and score vehicle for you to debate, but based on comics. It's more about winning and losing and scoring points. I get that. Many people are like that on the boards. It can be fun.
I used to be into that, but over the years I grew bored of that. Now I prefer a discussion--not a debate. I like to explore the comics and try to get at what the writers were trying to convey. This includes power levels, which are important to the underpinnings of comic stories. My goal is to get as close to the truth as we can get, given such an inconsistent medium. Often that means there is no simple, one word or number answer. There's a range of possibilities, but for each character that matrix of answers to these seemingly simple questions looks different. Often, the best we can do is describe what that range of possible answers looks like.
Think of it like math. Many want to find a single, numerical answer. But to me, most answers look more like an equation. I like to essentially graph out the curve of the answer and describe what it looks like.
Different strokes.

Delta1938
You want a regulated, easy to arbitrate and score vehicle for you to debate, but based on comics. It's more about winning and losing and scoring points. I get that. Many people are like that on the boards. It can be fun.
I used to be into that, but over the years I grew bored of that. Now I prefer a discussion--not a debate. I like to explore the comics and try to get at what the writers were trying to convey. This includes power levels, which are important to the underpinnings of comic stories. My goal is to get as close to the truth as we can get, given such an inconsistent medium. Often that means there is no simple, one word or number answer. There's a range of possibilities, but for each character that matrix of answers to these seemingly simple questions looks different. Often, the best we can do is describe what that range of possible answers looks like.
Think of it like math. Many want to find a single, numerical answer. But to me, most answers look more like an equation. I like to essentially graph out the curve of the answer and describe what it looks like.
Different strokes.

Then you should be in other forums, as this is for debates, not discussions. mad

Pillow Biter
Feel free to ignore me smile

And if they kick me off the board, I'll understand.

Delta1938
Feel free to ignore me smile

And if they kick me off the board, I'll understand.

I actually am thinking of doing that despite you seem pretty nice. Frankly, it annoys me to see all that. embarrasment

Pillow Biter
Cool. You do your thing, I'll do mine :-)

Delta1938
So, all I heard of Red Norvell is he was said to be as strong as Thor and matched him in a strength lock. Anybody have scans? And did he do anything else?

DarkOdin
Originally posted by Delta1938
So, all I heard of Red Norvell is he was said to be as strong as Thor and matched him in a strength lock. Anybody have scans? And did he do anything else? there are two versions of red, the 1st version had all Thor's abilities strength and etc. Plus this belt of strength and gauntlets, this would put him above standard Thor it terms of power, however without said items red lacked the combat skills of Thor's as shown/ stated when they fought the Midgard serpent.

Delta1938
Originally posted by DarkOdin
there are two versions of red, the 1st version had all Thor's abilities strength and etc. Plus this belt of strength and gauntlets, this would put him above standard Thor it terms of power, however without said items red lacked the combat skills of Thor's as shown/ stated when they fought the Midgard serpent.

You mean two different characters, or one character and one time he had gear the other not?

Americarp
Red had the belt of strength and Thor's strength, he would be stronger, he also has Mjolnir.

Americarp
You mean two different characters, or one character and one time he had gear the other not? One character good friend.

DarkOdin
You mean two different characters, or one character and one time he had gear the other not? same character different gear.

quanchi112
Norvell wins.

panthergod
Norvell gets one shotted.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.