The Topic Of Actors Turning Into Musicians And The Other Way Around!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Natemerc
So basically this topic is to ask your thoughts on actors going down the music artist route and dabbling into making some...well mainly mediocre music. And the other way around with music artists becoming actors. Granted, there are many who actually make GOOD music that started out as actors, but mostly I think it's a bad move. Why? Because if your good at acting, and you have an established career, there's no sense into trying your hand at music.

Yes you have the money to produce some tracks, easily, but everyone has a main profession, and as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thinking about it, one prime example of actor to musician that failed miserably would be Joaquin Phoenix. The dude totally ruined his reputation when he went into lumberjack MC mode and made terrible music almost completely atomizing his acting career because of the risk he took. And now he hasn't shown his face in movies for ages. At least on the big screen.

I think actors should make sure they CAN sing and they CAN make a good tune if they really tried before attempting it, because yes they can easily produce an album and advertise everywhere, but it's a giant risk and can very well hurt their reputations if their not careful.

As for musician to actor, this isn't as bad as the opposite. BUT there are a few examples of terrible musicians that tried acting, one really bad one would be Fifty Cent. Another example, in my opinion, would be the musician Common. They got some pretty decent music tracks, but their acting sucks. However, it wouldn't really hurt their reputation to try their hand at movies, unless there was some backstage romance or rumors going on in the media. With scandals these days, you never know.

Other examples of musicians being in movies and failing at acting would be David Bowie, Brandy, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, and yes, I'll say it, Justin Timberlake, a terrible actor. Some good ones however would include Ice-T, Mos Def, Queen Latifah, Will Smith, and Ice Cube just to name a few. But if you had the chance to be famous, could you juggle both? Which would YOU prefer?

Gracifi
Oh, things always have two aspects. I have my favorite actors who become singer and favorite singer who become actors. Please don't be so critical.

jaden101
There's a few that have made the transition...Andre 3000 is good in the Shield and is lined up to play Jimi Hendrix in a biopic. Steve Martin is a crackingly good bluegrass banjo player. Russell Crowe has had his band going for longer than he's been a big name. My favourite would be Steve Van Zandt who is Bruce Springsteen's guitarist and plays Silvio in the Sopranos. Ryan Gosling's band "Dead Man's Bones" are good. Ludacris has done some solid acting in RocknRolla and Crash.

Others would be Meatloaf, Kris Kristofferson, Mark and Donnie Wahlberg.

There's loads.

Robtard
Had no idea Martin plays the banjo.

rudester
how this become a topic... their all attention seekers at heart.

but the difference is some are actually talented like Zachary Levi, from the show chuck...I didnt know he singed.

rudester
mariah carey as an actress I honestly thought she sucked... maybe she did at first but when I saw her in the movie Precious (2009) Ms. Weiss, she was not bad...

siriuswriter
Well, Linda Ronstadt had several pop hits and she was also in The Pirates of Penzance!

All the Disney ones - Zac Efron, most notably, Demi Lovata, Miley Cyrus.

Producers and directors have realized that they get more well-rounded actor and actresses if they can sing, dance, and act. Certainly that was true in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

There are a lot of singers/actors who try to switch to the other realm who are complete failures. But once in a while, a Gwyenth Paltrow pops up and is invited to sing at the Music Awards...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.