Doom 3: BFG Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Are you nostalgic for real horror games, are you anticipating for Doom 4 and just want to play all the other Doom games to feel more prepared (or both)? Well I got good news and bad news. The good news, this:

AcVVPaFoSZo

The bad news? You'll probably have to go back to the "keep an extra clean pair of jeans" strategy for you don't know what these new levels will have in store for you.

Kazenji
I seen the news for this yesterday....****en bullshit it is, It was only a while back i brought Doom 3 & the expansion for the PC and then this comes along out of nowhere.

Ridley_Prime
Never thought I'd be saying this, but I can't wait to return to hell. Fo realz.

Kazenji
Wonder if the new levels will be DLC on steam.

Nemesis X
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/doom-3-bfg-edition-brings-hell-to-360-ps3-pc-this-fall-with/

So not only are we getting Resurrection of Evil and eight new levels but we'll also be getting an armor-mounted flashlight, making you wield a weapon without having to switch back to the flashlight to see where enemies are, making it less frustrating. And there's also Doom 1 & 2 that will be added to the BFG edition. Sweet.

Nemesis X
BFG Edition will be released on October 16th. Price is $39.99 for consoles and $29.99 for PC.

BackFire
You know, I know I'm in the minority here, but I felt having to disarm yourself to use the flashlight added a lot of tension to the game by making you feel vulnerable. Without that the game would have lost much of its tension and fear factor, and simply been an action game.

Smasandian
I also agree.

I liked the idea that you had to change your hand from gun to flashlight to see where you were going. Made the game a **** more scarier.

The funny thing is that Doom 3, Fear and Condemned are probably the last games where I was generally scared shitless throughout the game.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by BackFire
You know, I know I'm in the minority here, but I felt having to disarm yourself to use the flashlight added a lot of tension to the game by making you feel vulnerable. Without that the game would have lost much of its tension and fear factor, and simply been an action game.

I agree for the most part. Though there are far more elegant ways to make a game scarier, the tension added by having to choose between using the flashlight or a weapon was not lost on me.

Zack Fair
To hell with the retarded flashlight.

Kazenji
I'm another one that liked to switch between the flashlight and your gun and besides it was good a good setup on the PC just press on button.

Nemesis X
C_q61Es_0ok&feature=relmfu

Ridley_Prime
Ah, so I guess you'll be facing Betruger/Maledict and other familiar foes in the lost missions. That's cool.

Nemesis X
The Doom 3 BFG Edition is "more responsive" than RAGE.

Also, if you haven't already heard, there is in fact an option that lets you mount the flashlight or equip it like you used to.

Ridley_Prime
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/doom-3-bfg-edition/achievements/

Figured there would be achievements for collecting all the PDAs, but I loved getting and listening to them throughout the game, so that won't be a problem for me. Just glad I don't have to beat Doom 1 and 2 on ultra violence again. Still unsure though if it has co-op like the first two Dooms did on XBLA.

Little Caesar
Originally posted by Zack Fair
To hell with the retarded flashlight.

The Flashlight was great!

In the single-player of Quake II.

Also, using a BFG in Doom seems like id's answer to WoW: Pandaria-whateverit'scalled. Just dumb, aimed at preteens.

Ridley_Prime
I loved the flashlight and am glad I'll still be able to use it the way I used to despite the other method. Don't really remember having to use it in Quake II like I did in Doom 3 though, and I used to have that game on PC also.

The Soul Cube > BFG anyway.

Kazenji
I never used the Flashlight in Quake 2.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, when was it really needed there?

Ridley_Prime
Been playing this on veteran so far on and off. Was doing perfect until I realized I missed a locker that would've gotten me the plasma gun earlier than I did which could've made the first boss a lot easier. FML I guess getting all the lockers is another thing I'll need to replay the first campaign for. Not sure I even want to attempt Nightmare anytime soon after I unlock the difficulty, but at least you start out with the Soul Cube on it from what I hear, which I'm guessing you'll have to rely on a lot more for health.

Some things about Doom 3 haven't aged as well as I thought, but great game overall still. Funny how much it reminds me of Dead Space now upon replaying it this gen, and I forgot how much an ass Sergeant Kelly was. lol

As for the flashlight, so far I've just been using it with whatever gun I use, but the recharge time can be sometimes inconvenient. Haven't even found out how to use it the way it was used in the original (assuming still that's in this re-release too), though I probably haven't messed around with the options enough to find out.

Jmanghan
I'm bringin' it back!

I seriously need people to play this amaziny game with me.

Kazenji
On which platform?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
On which platform? PS3. The controls easier on PS.

Kazenji
That's debatable.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
That's debatable. Well, think about it, Xbox wasn't around till much later. For example, I'd much rather play Super Mario Bros. on an NES then a Wii or Wii U. Just like I still think to this day that *most* FPS work best on Xbox.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.