Charlie or Willy Wonka?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
Which film adaption of Roald Darl's book, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory i your favourite? Is it the old 20's Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory or the 2005, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory?
I think Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Placidity
The original of course.

Impediment
Originally posted by Placidity
The original of course.

A million times over, yes.

C-3POTheClever
BTW, I've noticed I said "Old 20's", but I meant old "70's" LOL

marwash22
Wilder, not even close.

T.M
Original. And yea not even close.

Patient_Leech
The Tim Burton one sucked tremendously. The only good part was the squirrels.

steverules_2
Pretty much getting sick and tired of Burton and Depp sucking each other off and spreading the man juice onto every movie they make...so original of course, you can't beat the original.

BruceSkywalker
the original

i have not and will never see depp's version

the ninjak
Spite thread.

Wilder accused them of just making money. And Depps response was "of course we're just making money".

That pretty much sums it up there. Burton's version started good but drowned halfway through. He knows how to make trailer shots. But the filler is usually bland in these new offerings.

steverules_2
Dahl hated the original so thats why there was never a sequel, glass elevator never got to see itself on the big screen

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Placidity
The original of course.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
The Tim Burton one sucked tremendously. The only good part was the squirrels.

Tim Burtons movies based off classic material always suck.He horribly betrays the course material everytime. mad He does best when he does his OWN material like Edward Scissorhands for example.Alice In Wonderland is the exception and really for the first time ever in his life,he actually was loyal to the source material amazingly when he did Sweeny Tood.

Not that Sweeny Todd was good in the first place.its a movie based off a play and its a horrible play but that was the only time he did not betray the source material is all. I knew he wouldnt screw that one up.Its a pretty gruesome and disgusting play which is right up Burtons alley. big grin laughing The Guy is a real pervert and loves to have his movies be violent and revolting all the time so I knew he couldnt screw that one up. big grin

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
the original

i have not and will never see depp's version

smart move.I broke down and saw it only cause I am a fan of Depp and to no surprise,it sucked like I knew it would.

C-3POTheClever
I perfer the newer one. The Speciel effects were awful in the old one! Jonney Depp is also very entertaining & funny. Much perfer him to the old Wonka.

steverules_2
I'm sorry but you are so retarded? The 70's version may have had bad effects...but thats just a stupid reason to say you prefer the newer movie because the effects were better. The effects in the original Star Wars weren't as good as the prequels but that doesn't make the movie's worse, in fact they are much better than the PT.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by steverules_2
I'm sorry but you are so retarded? The 70's version may have had bad effects...but thats just a stupid reason to say you prefer the newer movie because the effects were better. The effects in the original Star Wars weren't as good as the prequels but that doesn't make the movie's worse, in fact they are much better than the PT. You're right, but I also think the newer one is a better film. It's darker & Willy Wonka's more funny in it. About the star wars, the effects were still good for there time. If a film has good speciel effects but has a rubbish story then sure that doesn't mean it's good, but when the new one's more funny & dark I think it's better. I didn't even like the original that much. However... I think the oompaloompa's are maybe better the original.

steverules_2
See if you had said that, that woulda been better smile

Kazenji
I'm the same when it comes to the newer one pretty much what C-3PO said.

huwoniu
Good,I like it.Thank you for sharing.

jinXed by JaNx
The child actors did a fine job job in the newer version but really, the remake is just atrocious by comparison.

Esau Cairn
it's funny because in real life Dahl hated children. That's why in most of his stories the children were always either mistreated or in fear of their own well-being...
I think Depp captured that malevolent essence around the children in the movie....however Burton's version came off as a cheap rip-off of the original version. Rather than playing homage to the novel, Burton just simply got lazy & copied scene per scene.
R.I.P Wilder.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Rather than playing homage to the novel, Burton just simply got lazy & copied scene per scene.

Far from it...

C-3POTheClever
it's funny because in real life Dahl hated children. That's why in most of his stories the children were always either mistreated or in fear of their own well-being...
I think Depp captured that malevolent essence around the children in the movie....however Burton's version came off as a cheap rip-off of the original version. Rather than playing homage to the novel, Burton just simply got lazy & copied scene per scene.
R.I.P Wilder.
Dahl hated children? That's a creepey thought!

steverules_2
it's funny because in real life Dahl hated children.

I'd like proof of this

He doesn't seem to he hateful here, in fact he seems quite happy with kids

http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunked_image/2006_3730.JPG

Newjak
R.I.P Wilder. As far as I know Gene Wilder is still alive, and I can't find anything stating otherwise.

steverules_2
Yeah he's still alive

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by steverules_2
I'd like proof of this

He doesn't seem to he hateful here, in fact he seems quite happy with kids

http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunked_image/2006_3730.JPG

I've got no proof so I'll recant my statement. I remember reading a critic who stated Dahl hated kids because of the recurring themes in all his children's stories ie; "An adult villain who always mistreated children."

Reading a little on Dahl's childhood, he stated he hated the abuse he got at boarding school & that's why adults who were in authority were always deemed the villains.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.