Avengers Assemble

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
So as I'm sure people have heard, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is being cancelled and replaced with Avengers Assemble, which will presumably be set in a closer continuity to the Avenger's Movie-verse, in 2013. We have this preliminary picture of the cast, which I don't know whether its final or not:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/avengers-assemble-roster.jpg

So basically its the cast from the movie plus one black guy.

marwash22
They took out T'Challa and added Falcon... only room for one black guy on the roster, eh?

Nephthys
Maybe they felt they needed a guy with actual superpowers on the team. A black guy, I mean. The Movie Avengers have quite a few street level dudes on the team. T'Challa would have been pretty similar power wise to Cap, Widow and Hawkeye I guess.

ares834
So it's offical now huh... Dang.

The one good thing we get out of this is better animation. That was A:EMH big problem.

SamZED
Money chasing $&@!$...

First replaced spectacular spider-man with sh!tty ultimate and now this. And why? Because its more like the movie? Does that mean they'll make a new spidey show once asm comes out?

Bentley
If they get punked by Kang then I'll be fine with it, but its a shame T'challa ain't on it, not that I have anything against Falcon, but T'challa may be my favorite black character in comics.

TheAuraAngel
I watched a couple episodes of the old show...and I actually really liked it. I'll probably go back and watch them.

No Wasp though. She was always my favorite. :T

wakkawakkawakka
Really? One of the things that turned me off to EMH were both Hawkeye and Wasp not shutting up.

Shame T'Challa wont be in this but was there really a need for a token black guy? Just hope this doesn't go the Ultimate Spider-Man route.

Nephthys
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
I watched a couple episodes of the old show...and I actually really liked it. I'll probably go back and watch them.

No Wasp though. She was always my favorite. :T

Are you talking about EMH, or The Avengers: United They Stand.

Because AHAHAHAHA, look at Hawkeyes outfit! What a ****ing ***! laughing

....Ahem. embarrasment

jalek moye
Originally posted by ares834
So it's offical now huh... Dang.

The one good thing we get out of this is better animation. That was A:EMH big problem.
The animation was fine in season 1 (haven't seen 2) it just had a simplistic art style but imo the actual fights and stuff were animated just fine.

Bentley
I'm surprised nobody has noticed the lack of Pym. I just hope there are enough cameos and Ultron shows up.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Nephthys
Are you talking about EMH, or The Avengers: United They Stand.

Because AHAHAHAHA, look at Hawkeyes outfit! What a ****ing ***! laughing

....Ahem. embarrasment

I'm not talking about that one. O:

Bentley
I always thought Kang looked like Annihilus in that show.

Phanteros
Originally posted by Bentley
I'm surprised nobody has noticed the lack of Pym. I just hope there are enough cameos and Ultron shows up. That's because Pym is a douchebag. He won't be missed.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Phanteros
That's because Pym is a douchebag. He won't be missed.

Pym was awesome. And you're wrong, a liar and just plain mean.

Bentley
What's he problem with people against Pym? The only thing weak about the character is that he's blond like so many Avengers in Marvel, but other than that he's full of win.

the ninjak
What's he problem with people against Pym? The only thing weak about the character is that he's blond like so many Avengers in Marvel, but other than that he's full of win.

I agree on the win factor. The anti-blond remark is a shame. Maybe the new series should have Pym have brown/black hair or even Asian? I hate the race issue in comics and other mediums.

Give it 10 years and we'll have a marketing group enforcing a multiracial Avengers the public can agree with. Besides Thor and Cap of course. Caps from the 40's so he can stay blond and Thor is a Norse influenced character keep him there. Though peeps get mighty angry when they see him. Racism on the highest scale.

I saw a kid in a comic store the other day no older than 12 comment on why the new Ultimate Spidey was black. I walked over and said "well he's the new Spidey in the universe, the other one died." He got all angry and said "F that Spidey's white!" I was taken aback. He walked out of the store all pissed.

I never had a problem with the Ultimate Nick Fury's Samuel Jackson style change of appearance. I thought it was cool. But I noticed people got ticked off once they made Heimdall black. I was meh. I'm all for adapting a 60's based fictional universe for a multi-cultural reading public.

But it's when someone blatantly disses a character because they belong to a particular racial genealogy regardless of the awesomeness of their character that I just gotta get pissed right the phuck off! F U!

I guess "I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!" doesn't hold to high in the end like it did then. But I always liked it.

Nephthys

He's one of the smartest men in the Marvel universe on top of being blond, attractive and well-built, has superpowers and has a beautiful wife. He's also a bit of a prick, is insane, abused his wife once and created a killer robot that's almost destroyed humanity on multiple occasions.

He's easy to hate I guess.

Also he was one of the people who thought up the Superhero Registration Act, starting the Civil War. So he indirectly killed Captain America. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

the ninjak
He's one of the smartest men in the Marvel universe on top of being blond, attractive and well-built, has superpowers and has a beautiful wife. He's also a bit of a prick, is insane, abused his wife once and created a killer robot that's almost destroyed humanity on multiple occasions.

He's easy to hate I guess.

Also he was one of the people who thought up the Superhero Registration Act, starting the Civil War. So he indirectly killed Captain America. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

What's not to love cool

And that YellowJacket Pym that was a part of the Hero registration act was a filthy Skrull. FAIL. Filthy green people

Bentley
Originally posted by the ninjak
I agree on the win factor. The anti-blond remark is a shame.

I do think Pym would get more attention if he wasn't blond, I guess it would more justified if he was from eastern Europe like his wife. Nothing against the blonds, it just makes him less distinguishable as a character among the Avengers, and character-wise that IS a weakness.

For me that "generic blondness" is actually the only weak thing about the character, pretty adult -he was married twice!-, pretty haunted, pretty confident and with strong character.

the ninjak
I do think Pym would get more attention if he wasn't blond, I guess it would more justified if he was from eastern Europe like his wife. Nothing against the blonds, it just makes him less distinguishable as a character among the Avengers, and character-wise that IS a weakness.

For me that "generic blondness" is actually the only weak thing about the character, pretty adult -he was married twice!-, pretty haunted, pretty confident and with strong character.

Wow. I just lost all respect in you personally. You must be insanely inadequate to resort this remark. Kinda pathetic.

Just for shits. How would you like to perceive Pym physically in order to gain your complete respect?

Mousey brown hair? Would that make you feel more comfortable?

Nephthys
Geez thats a bit of an overreaction. He is right that theres a fair few blond on the Avengers. Cap, Thor, Sentry, Pym himself etc.

Bentley
Wow. I just lost all respect in you personally. You must be insanely inadequate to resort this remark. Kinda pathetic.

Just for shits. How would you like to perceive Pym physically in order to gain your complete respect?

Mousey brown hair? Would that make you feel more comfortable?

Green and with antenae would be perfect, personally, like bug. Or you know, maybe his genetic alteraction could show in any particular way or he could have a more definite facial mark like a bigger nose, or gigantic ears, or Doctor Sivana's face.

I suppose you're right in my poor definition, since my problem with Pym's design is not about him being blond, but instead the fact he has a "generic blond" look. Which in another context with less blond characters would be no problem at all, so it shouldn't be any intrinsic problem with the design, right?

The design isn't particularly strong for me when not wearing a costume, and considering he and Jan change costumes so often it would be optimal for him to have a more distinctive look.

I'll gladly twist the question around: do you think Pym's design is perfect?

the ninjak
Hey it's early morning and I'm felling preachy. If too many blonds in the Avengers is a crime then so be it.

Green and with antenae would be perfect, personally, like bug. Or you know, maybe his genetic alteraction could show in any particular way or he could have a more definite facial mark like a bigger nose, or gigantic ears, or Doctor Sivana's face.

I suppose you're right in my poor definition, since my problem with Pym's design is not about him being blond, but instead the fact he has a "generic blond" look. Which in another context with less blond characters would be no problem at all, so it shouldn't be any intrinsic problem with the design, right?

The design isn't particularly strong for me when not wearing a costume, and considering he and Jan change costumes so often it would be optimal for him to have a more distinctive look.

I'll gladly twist the question around: do you think Pym's design is perfect?

I liked the Wasp costume. Pym wasn't the fashionista Wanda was. He simply never even cared too much about the whole superhero vibe. He just wanted to be completely consumed in being a scientist. It was his downfall eventually when some Skrull spy disguising herself as a hot young student screwed him during an encounter whilst Pym dedicated himself to being a college prof.

I hate the Giantman costume. It sucks. And reeks of nostalgic weakness and represents his character degenerating into his old ways instead of the awesome Pym we saw during his Mighty Avengers arc.

Sorry about the early remark. I read it again and kinda agree. Too many blonds can be perceived as an Aryan ideal to a larger audience.

Bentley
Geez thats a bit of an overreaction. He is right that theres a fair few blond on the Avengers. Cap, Thor, Sentry, Pym himself etc.

Cap, Thor and Hawkeye just happen to be three of the most influential and important Avengers of all time. Then there is also Pym, just consider that all these characters have their place in any adaptation of the Avengers in any media because they are in the heart of the concept.

Bentley
Hey it's early morning and I'm felling preachy. If too many blonds in the Avengers is a crime then so be it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong about the Avengers being blond, but if it works against any of them its against Pym -and maybe Clint? They made his hair brown in the movie adaptation-. I'm not exactly sure if the racist deconstruction makes my argument any less true.

the ninjak
I wrote more^

I liked the Wasp costume. Pym wasn't the fashionista Wanda was. He simply never even cared too much about the whole superhero vibe. He just wanted to be completely consumed in being a scientist. It was his downfall eventually when some Skrull spy disguising herself as a hot young student screwed him during an encounter whilst Pym dedicated himself to being a college prof.

I hate the Giantman costume. It sucks. And reeks of nostalgic weakness and represents his character degenerating into his old ways instead of the awesome Pym we saw during his Mighty Avengers arc.

Sorry about the early remark. I read it again and kinda agree. Too many blonds can be perceived as an Aryan ideal to a larger audience.

I must admit seeing so many blonds in the comics I read as a kid did throw me off. Your point is valid. I apologise again.

I deal with alot of racism on the interwebs regularly and I guess this topic sent me into attack mode.

Bentley
I know what I said sounds awfully close to an inmoral/amoral race rant which I had to reread several times myself to see if I wasn't saying anything overly stupid. Because I can make easy mistakes like that, I try to be smart but mixing perceptions about fictional work and sort-of real life concerns can be tricky, mistakes can be made, I don't take it personally since it wasn't my intention. When you are as devoid of a racial sensibility as I am you can say stupid stuff. I do understand from where you come from.

About the design, the more I think about it, the more I ask myself if it's Pym's fault at all or if I'm the victim of too much Avengers imagery. Pym is an old character, I think he's at least older than Hawkeye, who I'm pretty sure was invented without the Avengers into mind. Marvel Thor is known for being blond instead of redhead as the mythological Thor, Captain America is even older than Pym and has that aryan vs aryan quality during WW2 that made for a very elegant symethry with his SSS and the superior race ideology. Given certain Avengers mythologies and stories I've come to accept that hair color kind of matters for Cap and Thor, not so much for Pym -of course, other characters such as T'challa are much more race oriented, but that goes without saying-.

So exactly how much of this race thing should place in the design of each character and roosters? Most Avengers were never meant to perform together in the same team, so they look as they are because of some random author choices. My argument was built from a certain visual idea, I just didn't feel that having that many blond hairs was very harmonic for the team when put together. Of course, is next to impossible to weight that against keeping a classic look for the characters in the team, so sadly there isn't much to do.

SamZED
The first episode... Was surprisingly enjoyable. Best part is while it's in continuity with Ult SM it has non of the stupidity of that show. Miss the EMH but Def gonna keep watching this.

Nephthys
Gotta disagree. I got halfway through before skipping to the end. Awful.

Phanteros
Show is already on its way of being shit. Why did they hire Man of Action again? They're pretty shit rewrites and most of there shows are either shit(ultimate spiderman) or turned from ok to shit(post alien force season 1). The only show that was good that they was Generator Rex and thank god they didn't dicide to milk it.

SevenShackles
A friend told me it was better than EMH but I highly doubted that but still haven't given it a looking at. I have a feeling my friend hyped it up beyond it's ability to deliver.

dadudemon
Originally posted by SevenShackles
I have a feeling my friend hyped it up beyond it's ability to deliver.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3092704256/hD48C396A/

SevenShackles
Originally posted by dadudemon
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3092704256/hD48C396A/
laughing out loud That made my day.

I-Drop
Show sucks ass

SamZED
Gotta disagree. I got halfway through before skipping to the end. Awful. It's clearly not on the level of EMH but I don't see how it's awful. Elaborate please.

BellaMario
Actually you are right, it's so nice of you.

SamZED
What?

SevenShackles
Oh Hyperion. That makes me happy.
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
http://bcove.me/l14saycj

SevenShackles
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
d0bjijBgvQE

SamZED
Im confused... is AA supposed to somehow be in continuity with EMH? Im asking because of that flashback in the Molecule Kid episode.

SevenShackles
Enjoyed the episode with stark and cap pretending to be grim reaper and crossbones to infiltrate the cabal but I'm confused.. Red skull had neptunes trident and that was cool but why doesn't he use the stolen ironman suit he wears for anything more than decoration? He doesn't fly. He doesn't shoot repulsors and still seems to get tackled and hurt as if he wasn't wearing the damn armor.. Why? Did I miss something?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.