Moving a Planet in MU-616

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

biensalsa
The other day talking to a friend, I tried to mention Marvel characters who have moved a planet outside of it's orbital trench and I couldn't think of any, except Ego.

I have read a lot of Marvel comics, but there is always something one might not be aware of.

So for all the marvel experts

Who has moved a planet in MU 616?

No sky father's and above tiers please.

carver9
Thor, Gladiator, and Herc.

Now create a thread called "DC characters that have destroyed a planet". wink

biensalsa
Originally posted by carver9

I'm asking out of real curiosity Carver.

Can you give me issue #?

And I'm talking Planets not Planetoids

carver9
Originally posted by biensalsa
I'm asking out of real curiosity Carver.

Can you give me issue #?

When Thor and Herc was arm wrestling.

When Gladiator was moving a planet size object that was blocking a star lane. By the way, I was just messing with ya buddy.

biensalsa

When Gladiator was moving a planet size object that was blocking a star lane. By the way, I was just messing with ya buddy.

I know, thanks smile

The Sorrow
Moving planets is for wussies, destroying them gets you more respect stick out tongue

Flyattractor
Batman and Superman have a funny moment about Planet Moviing in the JLbig grinOOM movie.

No not that kind of planet moving you dirty minded bastards...

Endless Mike
Originally posted by The Sorrow
Moving planets is for wussies, destroying them gets you more respect stick out tongue

Only among people ignorant of physics (it actually would take more energy to move the Earth out of its orbit around the sun than to destroy it, of course for different planets in with different compositions/densities/orbits around different stars it could be different).

Anyway Doctor Strange was moving some when he fought Death, the Celestials were throwing them at Thanos when he had the IG, Hiro-Kala moved one to another universe and was moving it through space, etc.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Only among people ignorant of physics (it actually would take more energy to move the Earth out of its orbit around the sun than to destroy it, of course for different planets in with different compositions/densities/orbits around different stars it could be different).

Technically speaking , according to RL physics , a guy like Superman or Gladiator shouldn't even be able to move an Earth-sized planet , on the basis of their strength alone .

Endless Mike
Under SoD method when something in fiction defies the laws of physics, you don't assume physics as they are IRL don't apply in these cases (unless explicitly stated that they don't, for example a reality warper changing them), but instead we assume that there are some unexplained "extra physics" that we don't understand to account for these events. Just like if a bird or plane is flying, it doesn't mean that gravity doesn't apply to it, just that there is something else countering the gravity.

TheGodKiller
Under SoD method when something in fiction defies the laws of physics, you don't assume physics as they are IRL don't apply in these cases (unless explicitly stated that they don't, for example a reality warper changing them), but instead we assume that there are some unexplained "extra physics" that we don't understand to account for these events. Just like if a bird or plane is flying, it doesn't mean that gravity doesn't apply to it, just that there is something else countering the gravity.

Which is why I mentioned "based on strength alone" . There's an explanantion which has been floated around by comic fans , sci-fi fans and a couple of real scientists themselves that Superman can push a planet via a form of "tactile telekinesis" . Pseudo-scientific , but an explanation nonetheless .

Not to mention incidences like Rulk lifitng Thor's hammer in space because of its weightlessness , yet somehow being able to "talk" in vacuum as well indicates a severe lack of understanding and comprehension of basic science by comic book writers .

Endless Mike
I'd chalk that last one up to Thor's extranormal senses

ankur29

thumb up

100% agree. I reckon it is a poor argument when people say oh lets throw real physics in the trash, it has no bearing in comics.

there are some double standards there.

In a comic world gravity is taken to be equal to what it is in real life 9.8N/kg. When you are reading for example someone lifting a car you know the car weighs about 2 tons in the real world and therefore in comics must weight 2 tons (due to gravity) and the fact that the characters is lifting something that you can personally relate to be being heavy is due to extra unexplained physics and of course superpowers .

I guess what i am saying is real physics and logic are applicable to comics as well.

-Pr-

Superman. Now be quiet.

PillarofOsiris
How about when Celestials were casually tossing them as weapons?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/27967/661977-host_9_super.jpg

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Technically speaking , according to RL physics , a guy like Superman or Gladiator shouldn't even be able to move an Earth-sized planet , on the basis of their strength alone .

Superman's done far more impressive and ridiculous things than that with this strength.

Endless Mike
I mentioned the Celestials

OneDumbG0
I'd chalk that last one up to Thor's extranormal senses Sounds about right:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Random/th_ThorVentriloquism02IronmanThor1.jpg

Badabing

Now create a thread called "DC characters that have destroyed a planet". wink Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman. Now be quiet. Yeah, shut up Carter. sneer

keiththegreat
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Sounds about right:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Random/th_ThorVentriloquism02IronmanThor1.jpg

What issue is that from? I'd like to pick it up.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris

OP :

The other day talking to a friend, I tried to mention Marvel characters who have moved a planet outside of it's orbital trench and I couldn't think of any, except Ego.

I have read a lot of Marvel comics, but there is always something one might not be aware of.

So for all the marvel experts

Who has moved a planet in MU 616?

No sky father's and above tiers please.

Nietzschean
Last I check Marvel U really didnt allow for such a thing without catastrophic results if a planet were to be moved?

the DCU and Marvel physics are completely different.

erm

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nietzschean
Last I check Marvel U really didnt allow for such a thing without catastrophic results if a planet were to be moved?

the DCU and Marvel physics are completely different.

erm

Physics are physics. It's super-powers that are different.

Nietzschean
Originally posted by -Pr-
Physics are physics. It's super-powers that are different. physics is physics, I agree. the problem is that different comic companies have different physics at play in their U.

Don Corleone
Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman. Now be quiet.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/paladin_04/1237811519_chuck-norris-approves.gif

Hyperion Prime
Marvel operates on less of a shock factor than DC. That's why you don't have as many powerful Herald characters flying around on earth 616 in marvel. DC has like 20 superman clones on there planet.

DC is about big powers. marvel is about the story. Always liked marvel.

JayDaDon

What?! eek!

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by keiththegreat
What issue is that from? I'd like to pick it up. Iron Man/Thor #1.

biensalsa

When Gladiator was moving a planet size object that was blocking a star lane.

Does anyone has reference numbers.

I remember the Thor vs Herc instance, IIRC in a Thor annual

But does anyone has the Glads reference?

Has anyone else moved a planet?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nietzschean
physics is physics, I agree. the problem is that different comic companies have different physics at play in their U.

not really. It's more a difference in powers like i said...

Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
Marvel operates on less of a shock factor than DC. That's why you don't have as many powerful Herald characters flying around on earth 616 in marvel. DC has like 20 superman clones on there planet.

No.

biensalsa

I disagree. Marvel has it's own share of big feats and even in DC not everybody can move a planet, You need to have certain power level to move a planet.

A supergirl from another timeline tried to move a planet in recent years and she couldn't move it.

h1a8
Imagine getting hit with a planet moving at ftl speeds. Celestials rock.

h1a8
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Technically speaking , according to RL physics , a guy like Superman or Gladiator shouldn't even be able to move an Earth-sized planet , on the basis of their strength alone . I agree. IMO, that's too much power for them.

leonidas
i don't believe anyone has ever moved a plane in marvelt, not in the sense of simply pushing one around... herc and thor tossed one out of orbit during their armwrestling match, but i always sort of looked on that feat with a grain of salt. besides, it was a shared feat, regardless.

psycho gundam
hulk overcame (pause) planetary orbit altering weaponry

Hyperion Prime
I disagree. Marvel has it's own share of big feats and even in DC not everybody can move a planet, You need to have certain power level to move a planet.

A supergirl from another timeline tried to move a planet in recent years and she couldn't move it.

But on an Earth bound level there are more people who can move a planet in DC than in Marvel. I am not talking about characters who are Higher than Herald.

biensalsa
But on an Earth bound level there are more people who can move a planet in DC than in Marvel. I am not talking about characters who are Higher than Herald.

I see your point. and I agree DC has more powerhouses on earth than Marvel earth does. But when it comes to it's space line, Marvel has a pretty powerful line up too and not everybody can move a planet in both companies.

I might think someone like Glads could do it, or Silver Surfer or Thor under certain means.

Maybe Drax, Champion?

Fifthchild
The Annihilators rearranged a solar system offscreen. I think it was BRB and Surfer moved one planet and Quasar Ronan and Gladiator another.

Surfer caught and threw what looked like a star at Deadpool a while ago. Pretty cartoonish issue though so a bit hard to take seriously.

Estacado

Marvel had so many crappy events these years it's embarassing.
Red Hulk story ,Fear it self,AVX....

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Fifthchild
The Annihilators rearranged a solar system offscreen. I think it was BRB and Surfer moved one planet and Quasar Ronan and Gladiator another.

Surfer caught and threw what looked like a star at Deadpool a while ago. Pretty cartoonish issue though so a bit hard to take seriously. They teleported Wraithworld from Limbo into Galador's solar system via a gate. Surfer used the Power Cosmic to then put it in harmonious orbit with Galador. Then afterwards, they rearranged it so that Wraithworld and Galador were on opposite sides of the combined sun.

Impressive, to say the least.

Sr J-Bieb

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Fights/Scrier%20and%20Other/ThorAnnual033.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Fights/Scrier%20and%20Other/ThorAnnual034.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.