MMA's vs MA'er

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nietzschean
Ever since MMA became popular to white trash, morons and bullies. I have started to hear consistently how MA's are a joke and whatnot not realizing that MMA's was started by Martial arts people like Bruce Lee among several others.

It is designed to get rid of all the useless movements and flashiness of various styles.

But MMA fighters in sport ring events are also far from what original MMA's/MA's designed it for.

the sport version of MMA's is the same as the flashiness crap that people talk crap about when referencing MA tournament style fighting..

you guys think a real MMA's or MA'er is really going to hold back in a life and death fight and wear pads? no, he is most likely going to maim or kill you and regardless of your training or even size it comes down to who is more determine to win and what he is willing to do to you.

i love to see some overgrown steroid bully wannabe MMA's ring fighter with nothing but a handful of grappling moves he has bn taught and practice for a couple of years actually fight an MA'er who doesnt give a f**k and knows a hundred different ways to maim and kill you fight a Mix Martial Artist..

most modern MMA would sh** their pants if they had to fight an army invasion with their bear hands like Buddhist monks and various MA's warriors did for centuries in asia.

so who do you think in all honesty would win against these two?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/739/896/90976438_crop_650x440.jpg?1339291440

vs

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/AvqRPCbIY48/0.jpg
big grin

Gecko4lif
One guy has a sword

one guy has a gun.

We both know who wins.

Nietzschean
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
One guy has a sword

one guy has a gun.

We both know who wins. but is the guy with a gun trained in gun kata? confused

NemeBro
You kind of come off as a butthurt whiny little girl.

Just saying.

socool8520
^ You're not very nice huh? lol But seriously it all depends. just because you know several different ways to maim someone doesn't mean you can destroy UFC fighters. I'm pretty sure Brock Lesnar or Anderson Silva could handle some shaolin monks are hardcore thai fighters. Not saying they aren't above getting eye gouged or throat punched, but MMA fighters are top rated fighters for a reason. I believe that Bruce Lee and the like could hold their own in an actual life/death fight against MMA fighters, but I wouldn't give Bruce or someone like that a vast majority.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by NemeBro

Just saying.
_OemNp6hgX4

Robtard

Just saying.

Is this carry-over from another thread?

socool8520
^ Do these two have a history. lol

NemeBro
Originally posted by Robtard
Is this carry-over from another thread? Not as far as I am aware.

I am just making a casual observation of his OP.

I am guessing that he is a high schooler who routinely gets beaten up by MMA fans after he hits himself in the nads with his own nunchucks.

Bouboumaster

Nietzschean
Not as far as I am aware.

I am guessing that he is a high schooler who routinely gets beaten up by MMA fans after he hits himself in the nads with his own nunchucks. I guess you havent bn here long enough to know me. cause you are way off.

socool8520
Not as far as I am aware.

I am guessing that he is a high schooler who routinely gets beaten up by MMA fans after he hits himself in the nads with his own nunchucks.

I'm under the impression that most MMA fans are not any more trained then anyone else, me being one of them. Outside of some boxing lessons from my father (who wasn't a pro, just golden gloves) and schoolyard fights, I have no training. I do enjoy MMA and the martial arts in general. He went about the question a little biased but the topic was interesting imo. I have often wondered how a trained to kill/maim fighter would fair against an MMA fighter.

socool8520

Mindset
What about people who train mma and people who train multiple ma's?

There's a difference.

socool8520
Originally posted by Mindset
What about people who train mma and people who train multiple ma's?

There's a difference.

What? I don't quite see what you're getting at. If someone learns several fighting styles, is that not MMA? I thought that is what it stood for.

Mindset
There is a difference between training at an mma gym, and training at multiple gyms for arts separately.

The level of training will probably be different, although it is technically mma.

socool8520
There is a difference between training at an mma gym, and training at multiple gyms for arts separately.

The level of training will probably be different, although it is technically mma.

Are you talking about the techniques that will be learned from the traditional MA as opposed to tournament style techs? If so, then I can agree with that.

Mindset
I'm talking about the level of proficiency you will obtain from say, training at an mma gym as opposed to training boxing and bjj, or w/e arts they may be, separately at those respective gyms.

The boxing you learn at a boxing gym is better than the boxing you will learn from an mma gym, or bjj, mt, etc. from what I've personally seen.

socool8520
I'm talking about the level of proficiency you will obtain from say, training at an mma gym as opposed to training boxing and bjj, or w/e arts they may be, separately at those respective gyms.

The boxing you learn at a boxing gym is better than the boxing you will learn from an mma gym, or bjj, mt, etc. from what I've personally seen.

Ohhhh....I see. I can see that. So, if say one were more interested in the striking oriented styles like Thai boxing/Boxing, you would recommend going to those specific oriented gyms? I may begin to pick this up as both a means of self defense, and conditioning program.

Mindset
I would, you can try out different gyms though.

socool8520
^ appreciate the advice. As I have stated, my fighting expertise goes as far as some limited boxing training from my father and the schoolyard/teenager BS. lol. Besides my dad didn't know what to do with me when he saw that even though I am right handed, I fight in a south paw stance. lol

Mindset
Not that uncommon, you should still probably learn orthodox, though.

socool8520
I agree, it really wastes alot of power punching when you lead with your dominant hand. On the plus side though, switching back and forth may not be too awkward later on though. What are your primary skill sets? I see what appears to be Thai boxing in your avatar

Mindset
MT, starting no-gi bjj.

socool8520
That's cool. Wish I would have started some Karate while I was in Okinawa

Insomniatric
Why are you insulting MMA?

There is a big difference between a Mixed Martial Artist and a Martial Artist and it can be put as simply as this: Mixed Martial Artists are multi-dimensional fighters, martial artists are not.

In MMA it doesn't matter how skilled you are at something like Karate or boxing, if that's all you have, someone like Chael Sonnen will take you down and smother you (or submit you).

MMA fighters are jacks of all trades and usually masters of none, it's their ability to mix their attacks up that makes them the best fighters on the planet (see: Georges St. Pierre, Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones).

Vitor or Franklin would probabaly wax that guy if he put the sticks down. You said it yourself: he is not a mixed martial artist, he is one dimensional, which will get your steamrolled by a guy who can mix it up well.

Throw Buakaw Por in the octagon with Jose Aldo, who will win?

Mindset
Not all martial arts are one dimensional.

Insomniatric
Not all martial arts are one dimensional.

Martial artist implies to me that you only practice one martial art, so by that standard, you are one dimensional (I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just saying), a mixed martial artist will practice multiple martial arts and learn to mix up his attacks.

Just look at Georges St. Pierre fight, when he fights a guy who is a better striker than him, he can mix up his takedowns and strikes and effectively out-strike the other guy despite being less skilled in that dimension (he did that to Thiago Alves).

If he fights a good wrestler with good takedown defense, he can set his takedowns up with his strikes and take the guy down (he did it to Josh Koscheck).

Mindset
One dimensional implies that you only do striking or grappling(can actually go further into that, but let's not), so like I said, not all martial arts are one dimensional.

Darth Jello
MMS=Jack of All Trades, Master at none.

Insomniatric
One dimensional implies that you only do striking or grappling(can actually go further into that, but let's not), so like I said, not all martial arts are one dimensional.

I know what you mean, but many martial arts focus on one aspect of fighting, the sport of mixed martial arts creates the most well rounded fighters on the planet.

Newjak
Originally posted by Insomniatric
I know what you mean, but many martial arts focus on one aspect of fighting, the sport of mixed martial arts creates the most well rounded fighters on the planet. I would say that's subjective.

I'm sure there are plenty of MAers out there that would be considered well rounded by your definition of the term.

Mindset
Originally posted by Insomniatric
I know what you mean, but many martial arts focus on one aspect of fighting, the sport of mixed martial arts creates the most well rounded fighters on the planet. OK, and I'm telling you that there are martial arts that create well rounded fighters. Nor is mma some new idea, it has been around for centuries.

Insomniatric
OK, and I'm telling you that there are martial arts that create well rounded fighters. Nor is mma some new idea, it has been around for centuries.

I know that, I was just saying that most martial arts do not focus on being well-rounded. Mixed Martial Arts directly focuses on being skilled in all aspects of fighting, so I don't understand why OP was insulting it. I know it's not new (and that it wasn't invented by Bruce Lee) as well.

Personally, I think of a martial artist as someone who practices only one aspect of fighting (like a boxer), and a mixed martial artist is someone who trains more than one aspect (example: I consider someone who trains in Sambo a "mixed martial artist" since sambo deals with more than one aspect of fighting). It's just the way I think of it.

I'm not sure if I've offended you or not, but if by chance I have, I'm sorry because I didn't intend too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.