Clarks' Equal......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Not a traditional versus forum bout but I was wondering who if anyone is Supermans' equal? Not forum-wise either I mean in character as displayed in comics....

Silent Master
Equal in what area?

CosmicComet
Captain Marvel is the best candidate

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Not a traditional versus forum bout but I was wondering who if anyone is Supermans' equal? Not forum-wise either I mean in character as displayed in comics....

captain marvel

Stoic

I'd say that ideally, the Blue Marvel, Majestic, Gladiator or any number of good willed super reactive characters could easily fill Kal's shoes. It's all in the penmanship.

Bentley
Mmmmh... The Preacher.

PillarofOsiris
CM is not Superman's equal.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Stoic
I'd say that ideally, the Blue Marvel,

Doesn't have the speed feats, and is in Marvel.

I've come to the conclusion that he's overhyped.

He's in Marvel.

Delta1938

I'm not entirely sure of what you mean. But I'd say Orion would be the best candidate for what I think you mean.

Stoic
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Doesn't have the speed feats, and is in Marvel.

I've come to the conclusion that he's overhyped.

He's in Marvel.

The OP never suggested any universe. Is there a point to the reason that you broke down, and threw out my suggestions? In a fictional world setting, all of the characters that I mentioned would easily be able to fill Kal's shoes. The Blue Marvel has super speed deal with it. If he can take it to Hyperion using just his fists, or defeating Anti Man, who in turn outfought the Sentry, then I would lay high odds on the Blue Marvel being a super reactive character, just like Superman. Again, this isn't about DC or Marvel, it's about penmanship.

CosmicComet
The OP never suggested any universe. Is there a point to the reason that you broke down, and threw out my suggestions?

Yes. There is a reason.

You didn't read the OP;

2 of those 3 characters have had no interactions with Superman whatsoever. So they cannot be termed to be displayed as equal to Superman within comics. They are at best able to be argued as equal to Superman 'forum-wise'.

Blue Marvel has no super reactive feats whatsoever. And he has no superspeed feats outside of flight speed, and what he's displayed there was fairly pedestrian by herald standards as well.

Fighting people with speed feats by itself does not make you their equal reaction wise. That's just comics needing a conflict. Just as Colossus and Wolverine aren't nanosecond level reaction guys just because they've both landed blows against Gladiator.

Stoic
Yes. There is a reason.

You didn't read the OP;

2 of those 3 characters have had no interactions with Superman whatsoever. So they cannot be termed to be displayed as equal to Superman within comics. They are at best able to be argued as equal to Superman 'forum-wise'.

Blue Marvel has no super reactive feats whatsoever. And he has no superspeed feats outside of flight speed, and what he's displayed there was fairly pedestrian by herald standards as well.

Fighting people with speed feats by itself does not make you their equal reaction wise. That's just comics needing a conflict. Just as Colossus and Wolverine aren't nanosecond level reaction guys just because they've both landed blows against Gladiator.

I guess we will agree to disagree then, A whole lot of what you said was BS. The OP never suggests anything whatsoever to allow you to define anything, and yet you have such an adamant, and descriptive opinion on this particular subject. The OP is far too vague for this type of behavior Cos. You're making it up as you go along.

In a world without Superman, any super reactive/super strong character would be able to fill Superman's boots. Perhaps you should go back and reread the mini that Blue Marvel was in. Superman is replaceable, it's just how other characters are written. Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, and many many others could hold it down in Metropolis as well as Superman does.

Zack Fair
I don't see Sentry, Hyperion or Gladiator being Superman's equals. Superman has that amazing will of his and he has so much presence. Normally people wouldn't give a shit if any of the marvel trio of clones entered a room, but if it was Superman well...ya get it. I hope.

I think an amalgam of Captain America and Thor would fit the bill.

Cogito
Power: Mon-El
Character: Captain Marvel

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Cogito
Power: Captain America
Character: Captain America

fixed

carver9
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I don't see Sentry, Hyperion or Gladiator being Superman's equals. Superman has that amazing will of his and he has so much presence. Normally people wouldn't give a shit if any of the marvel trio of clones entered a room, but if it was Superman well...ya get it. I hope.

I agree with this, even though Sentry, Gladiator, and Hyperion are powerful, Superman personality, will power, demeanour is irreplaceable. Gladiator boast to freaking much...he is full of confidence but he is too freaking cocky. Hyperion just sucks and he is cocky as well with an attitude of a teenager, and Sentry, I don't even need to say anything about him. In order to fill Supes shoes, your will power needs to be at 100%, all of these guys fail in that department (even though I can see Sentry and Gladiator breaking Supermans neck).

carver9
By the way, Captain Marvel would be the best choice. He IS Superman.

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by carver9
(even though I can see Sentry and Gladiator breaking Supermans neck).

Yeah....No.

Cogito
fixed
He's in Marvel.

Stoic

Only because they aren't written up to Superman's standards, but it does not mean, that they could not operate at the same levels if they were. You see what I mean?

Zack Fair
Only because they aren't written up to Superman's standards, but it does not mean, that they could not operate at the same levels if they were. You see what I mean?

I don't know about that. I don't see Sentry and Hyperion inspiring anyone the same way Superman does to his super hero comrades and the general population. Gladiator might have that effect on the Imperial guard though.

Closest thing to that aspect of Superman would be Cap IMO. Then again Sin left it pretty vague. We could be arguing about two different things and both of us could be right.

Stoic
I don't know about that. I don't see Sentry and Hyperion inspiring anyone the same way Superman does to his super hero comrades and the general population. Gladiator might have that effect on the Imperial guard though.

Closest thing to that aspect of Superman would be Cap IMO. Then again Sin left it pretty vague. We could be arguing about two different things and both of us could be right.

I understand why you may not be getting it. Let's take Batman for example, he and Grayson, were once very hokey characters, that said things like holy smokes, and gadzooks to a variety of other very square things. The same thing applies here with other characters. It's just how they are, or were written. The Sentry could have taken a number of roads, but the writers of Marvel dropped the ball on him.

However the vagueness of the OP like you said could make us both right.

JakeTheBank
Billy phuckin' Batson.

Colossus-Big C
Captain Marvel.

When DC comics bought captain marvel they Powered him down to be supermans equal. The original cap would trash even PC Superman.

psycho gundam
Not a traditional versus forum bout but I was wondering who if anyone is Supermans' equal? Not forum-wise either I mean in character as displayed in comics.... spider-man

Sin I AM
Let me clarify....I meant equal not just feat wise but someone who could seamlessly replace kal

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Captain Marvel.

When DC comics bought captain marvel they Powered him down to be supermans equal. The original cap would trash even PC Superman.

If you say so.

Stoic
Supreme of Image comics could easily replace Superman in every way, but he would need an attitude adjustment, as would Majestic, Gladiator, and Hyperion. Blue Marvel, and Icon, would only need to be written up as a leader of some association that protects whatever and there you have it. While there are others that would perhaps do even better than Superman, namely the Plutonian, or Quantum of Image comics.

My opinion is based off of the premise of a world without Superman, while having the same obstacles to face on a daily basis.

Mindset
Black Adam.

biensalsa
Let me clarify....I meant equal not just feat wise but someone who could seamlessly replace kal

You mean as a father character in the comic book world? My guess is no

If you mean as replacing Superman? Well yes with another Superman, they did it in the Silver Age when they replaced Kal-L the "original" Superman with earth 1 Superman.

By someone else becoming the Main character of DCU?
I think it will be really hard but not impossible.
Batman will be the next option.

Mindset
Kyle Rayner could do everything Superman did except lose to DD.

biensalsa
Originally posted by Mindset

You forgot defeating Imperex Probes.

Mindset
No, I didn't.

biensalsa
No, I didn't.

Yes You did wink

Mindset
Nope.

biensalsa
Nope.

Yes X Infinite stick out tongue

Delta1938
Originally posted by carver9
I agree with this, even though Sentry, Gladiator, and Hyperion are powerful, Superman personality, will power, demeanour is irreplaceable. Gladiator boast to freaking much...he is full of confidence but he is too freaking cocky. Hyperion just sucks and he is cocky as well with an attitude of a teenager, and Sentry, I don't even need to say anything about him. In order to fill Supes shoes, your will power needs to be at 100%, all of these guys fail in that department (even though I can see Sentry and Gladiator breaking Supermans neck ).

Good Ol' Carter. He starts saying something very thoughtful and intelligent, he ends it with something that sets him 3 steps back. big grin

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Captain Marvel.

Proof?

Supreme of Image comics could easily replace Superman in every way, but he would need an attitude adjustment, as would Majestic, Gladiator, and Hyperion. Blue Marvel, and Icon, would only need to be written up as a leader of some association that protects whatever and there you have it. While there are others that would perhaps do even better than Superman, namely the Plutonian, or Quantum of Image comics.

My opinion is based off of the premise of a world without Superman, while having the same obstacles to face on a daily basis.

From the OP's clarification, it seems that, from that I've read, Blue Marvel would be the only one coming close to meeting the personality part of the equation out of the characters you gave.

Doomsday wouldn't find Kyle worthy of killing.

-Pr-

DD didn't stuff Lois Lane in a fridge, though.

Diesldude
I don't think there is a hero who could replace superman.
I mean what makes superman super? when you consider this, I think superman is peerless and can't be replaced.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Diesldude
I don't think there is a hero who could replace superman.
I mean what makes superman super? when you consider this, I think superman is peerless and can't be replaced.

Superboy Prime learned that, and why.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa466/Delta1938/Durability/Against%20Weaknesses%20And%20Vulnerabilities/Mix%20Of%20Weaknesses-Vulnerabilities/Planet%20Worth%20Of%20Kryptonite-Goes%20Through%20Rao/InfiniteCrisis0724.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa466/Delta1938/Durability/Against%20Weaknesses%20And%20Vulnerabilities/Mix%20Of%20Weaknesses-Vulnerabilities/Planet%20Worth%20Of%20Kryptonite-Goes%20Through%20Rao/InfiniteCrisis0725.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa466/Delta1938/Durability/Against%20Weaknesses%20And%20Vulnerabilities/Mix%20Of%20Weaknesses-Vulnerabilities/Planet%20Worth%20Of%20Kryptonite-Goes%20Through%20Rao/InfiniteCrisis0726.jpg

Or rather, he WOULD have learned it and why if he weren't so emo to blame it all on life not being fair.

Endless Mike
Mon-El?

Sin I AM
Its not about powers either really and I apologize for the vagueness. Rather its about if the world (DC earth) lost superman for good. Who could step in while still retaining their character and replace him. Not if some writer wrote surfer to act like Clark no. that wouldn't be in character. Who could do the same things inspire the same people etc while retaining their own unique identity

Delta1938
Its not about powers either really and I apologize for the vagueness. Rather its about if the world (DC earth) lost superman for good. Who could step in while still retaining their character and replace him. Not if some writer wrote surfer to act like Clark no. that wouldn't be in character. Who could do the same things inspire the same people etc while retaining their own unique identity

I can't think of anybody from DC. Captain America might be able to fill in the inspirational role, but I don't know if you were restricting this to DC or it can include other companies.

psycho gundam
Its not about powers either really and I apologize for the vagueness. Rather its about if the world (DC earth) lost superman for good. Who could step in while still retaining their character and replace him. Not if some writer wrote surfer to act like Clark no. that wouldn't be in character. Who could do the same things inspire the same people etc while retaining their own unique identity Originally posted by psycho gundam
spider-man

Bentley
You surely meant Doctor Doom.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Bentley
You surely meant Doctor Doom.

Inspire, crush all hope, same thing.

Forensic
Jenny Sparks with no knickers on could inspire anyone!

Zack Fair

DC only mmm

I think no one can replace him in DC earth. Not even Marvel.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Forensic
Jenny Sparks with no knickers on could inspire anyone!

Not Northstar. ermm

Forensic
Originally posted by Delta1938
Not Northstar. ermm

Northstar could inspire many I-am-sure, good point.

Delta1938
Northstar could inspire many I-am-sure, good point.

I'm not sure if you got what I meant. erm confused

Reacting2

Forensic
I'm not sure if you got what I meant. :/ confused

Many people are gay and I don't judge!

Delta1938

Delta1938
Many people are gay and I don't judge!

Doesn't change that Jenny without panties wouldn't inspire him. Unless it was to run away.

Reacting2
It would have to have virtually the exact same upbringing as Superman. So, really, the only ones I can think of who could fill in Superman's shoes are.....alternate versions of Superman who had similar upbringing like Kal-L or Pocketverse Superboy. True...

Forensic
Doesn't change that Jenny without panties wouldn't inspire him. Unless it was to run away.

He always strikes me as the kind of guy who could shut his eyes and imagine she was a he..... I don't think he cares as long as he gets his rocks off and I reckon he has done his own sister, although don't tell Walter!

Stoic
Blue Marvel, Mon El, and Captain Marvel (Billy) get my immediate vote due to the amount that these few would be willing to stick their necks out to save any given populace.

However Magneto, Thor, Gladiator, Black Adam, Nova Prime could easily fill this role if we were to place them all in different possible futures. <--- I realize that the last paragraph was outside of what the OP asks for, but I just thought that it would be interesting to see this from different perspectives.

What about the, "In less perfect Worlds than the DCU or Marvel U situation? What about being the hero of the downtrodden or post nuclear survivors? Yadda...

I personally believe that many here are under the impression that the hero must be a boy scout to uphold the laws of the land, and be lawfully good like Superman and his hoky impersonator Captain Marvel. I don't think it's at all true. Nova Prime did it.

cdtm

In terms of throw downs?

Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Mon El, Lobo top the list.

Edit: Read the op closer, and it looks like you don't mean fights, so...

As the go to archetypical hero, I guess there's Cap. Thor, maybe... Hal Jordan.

They're all inspirations to their peers, and the hero's heros.

cdtm
Dwelling slightly off the beaten track, outside of comics, there's a few worthy manga folk..

Goku, of course. Vash. And especially Kenshiro.

Considering the world he lives in, Kenshiro is the embodiment of inspirational heroes.

Not Naruto. He sucks. stick out tongue

Stoic
On DC Earth? Wonder Woman.

Delta1938
He always strikes me as the kind of guy who could shut his eyes and imagine she was a he..... I don't think he cares as long as he gets his rocks off and I reckon he has done his own sister, although don't tell Walter!

You'd have to prove that, and you just proved that you have no credibility when it comes to judging or "not" judging.

Blue Marvel, Mon El, and Captain Marvel (Billy) get my immediate vote due to the amount that these few would be willing to stick their necks out to save any given populace.

However Magneto, Thor, Gladiator, Black Adam, Nova Prime could easily fill this role if we were to place them all in different possible futures. <--- I realize that the last paragraph was outside of what the OP asks for, but I just thought that it would be interesting to see this from different perspectives.

What about the, "In less perfect Worlds than the DCU or Marvel U situation? What about being the hero of the downtrodden or post nuclear survivors? Yadda...

I personally believe that many here are under the impression that the hero must be a boy scout to uphold the laws of the land, and be lawfully good like Superman and his hoky impersonator Captain Marvel. I don't think it's at all true. Nova Prime did it.

What are you talking about?

Originally posted by cdtm
Dwelling slightly off the beaten track, outside of comics, there's a few worthy manga folk..

Goku, of course. Vash. And especially Kenshiro.

Considering the world he lives in, Kenshiro is the embodiment of inspirational heroes.

Not Naruto. He sucks. stick out tongue

GOKU SUCKS TOO!!!! miffed

Forensic
Goku is shit!

cdtm
I'm thinking pre DBZ Goku.

He wasn't nearly as sanctimonious or annoying, and even killed when he needed to. (Like the Red Ribbon Army.)

Delta1938
I'm thinking pre DBZ Goku.

He wasn't nearly as sanctimonious or annoying, and even killed when he needed to. (Like the Red Ribbon Army.)

Goku still sucks. mad

Reacting2
how about Kal-L?

Stoic
What are you talking about?

A pot buzz that I was on, were you on it too?

leonidas
i find the talk about characters being able to reaplace superman 'if they were written differently' pretty hilarious. and if spiderman were written as being able to break moons he could replace superman too. no expression

realistically, if you really want to replace him, you need a high herald with the strongest will in comics (arguably) tempered by the strongest moral code in comics (arguably).

there is no one. at least no one written in character who matches that. none of the clones come close. each falls well short in one area or other. maybe wonderwoman, though morally she's slightly off. maybe cap marvel. not many fit this set of criteria.

Delta1938
Originally posted by leonidas
i find the talk about characters being able to reaplace superman 'if they were written differently' pretty hilarious. and if spiderman were written as being able to break moons he could replace superman too. no expression

realistically, if you really want to replace him, you need a high herald with the strongest will in comics (arguably) tempered by the strongest moral code in comics (arguably).

there is no one. at least no one written in character who matches that. none of the clones come close. each falls well short in one area or other. maybe wonderwoman, though morally she's slightly off. maybe cap marvel. not many fit this set of criteria.

Looking at the OP's clarification, I think she was talking about inspiration/leadership specifically, not the whole package.

Vanlore
Looking at the OP's clarification, I think she was talking about inspiration/leadership specifically, not the whole package.

Ignoring powers, I think Captain America is a good candidate.

TheHulk
Captain Marvel Obviously.

D-Block
Captain Marvel

cdtm
Cap's almost never portrayed as the guy you'd want leading your super group.

Supermans both an inspiration and a leader of heroes. In JSA and JLA, he was the good soldier, not the leader.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by leonidas
i find the talk about characters being able to reaplace superman 'if they were written differently' pretty hilarious. and if spiderman were written as being able to break moons he could replace superman too. no expression There truly are a shitload of similarities between the 2.

Sin I AM
Cap's almost never portrayed as the guy you'd want leading your super group.

Supermans both an inspiration and a leader of heroes. In JSA and JLA, he was the good soldier, not the leader.

This^ I've never been one to consider Billy as inspirational, he 's just toooo goody good. And even though he has the power and ability to fill clarks shoes, i dont see him being the leader that all other heroes would look up too.

IMO Mar-vell is and too a lesser extent WW, although she'd need a strength durability upgrade

JakeTheBank
Captain America would easily fill in the inspirational/leader aspect of Superman's character and bring with it a better tactical mindset.

biensalsa
I think Captain America is the only one who could do it.

In DC?

I don't see anyone, Maybe but MAYBE Captain Comet and i doubt he can pull it off

Zack Fair

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.