DEA provides clear justification for classifying marijuana as a Schedule I drug

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
just watch for yourself:

ykwaXsQY6Eg

as a bit of context, the guy is a little pissed because the federal DEA is busting and prosecuting medicinal marijuana facilities in states, like Colorado, where it is legal at the state level (something Obama promised he would not do)

Michele Leonhart became head of the DEA after being appointed to the second in command position by Bush jr. Obama reappointed her in 2010.

inimalist
she is pretty awesome too:

JFC2IZe04EY

The full video can be found:

http://www.c-span.org/Events/DEA-Administrator-Testifies-at-House-Judiciary-Oversight-Hearing/10737431736/

link is on the right hand side of the page

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
just watch for yourself:

ykwaXsQY6Eg

as a bit of context, the guy is a little pissed because the federal DEA is busting and prosecuting medicinal marijuana facilities in states, like Colorado, where it is legal at the state level (something Obama promised he would not do)

Michele Leonhart became head of the DEA after being appointed to the second in command position by Bush jr. Obama reappointed her in 2010.

Saw this yesterday on Ebaumsworld. I thought it was hilarious. A layman (such as myself or the congressman) should not know more about drugs than the head of the DEA. That's sad and pitiful.

This is what happens when you give your unqualified friends a job: the do not know what they are doing.

Originally posted by inimalist
she is pretty awesome too:

JFC2IZe04EY

The full video can be found:

http://www.c-span.org/Events/DEA-Administrator-Testifies-at-House-Judiciary-Oversight-Hearing/10737431736/

link is on the right hand side of the page

This video is better than the first one. I did not see this one, yet.

focus4chumps
i dont know if she's an idiot or not but she sure did a bangup job of answering nothing, which is exactly what she set out to do.

she was sent to avoid relevant and logical questions in order to avoid logical solutions. the d.e.a. has a vested interest in regarding marijuana as equally dangerous to meth/coke/heroine.

Mindset
She got reamed, wow.

RE: Blaxican
That was painful to watch.

I hate politics so much. Watching shit like this, it's like watching people professionally play a dice-based tabletop game where one of the players is vastly more skilled and outplays the other player the whole game, only for the game to end in a draw because the better player had bad dice rolls.

That's what politics feels like to me. The stupid ***** spent the whole session just showing her ass, yet in the end it doesn't mean a damn thing. In a logical world, not being able to defend yourself what-so-ever in front of all of your peers should cost you your job. But no, in politics, not knowing what the hell you're talking about is not a prerequisite for success.

So frustrating.

Bardock42
All illegal drugs are bad, mkay!!!

jaden101
She comes across as frankly the most stupid person I've ever seen in a top job.

On a completely unrelated note, this is still the best Senate hearing video ever....When big George single handedly destroyed Norm Coleman's hope of ever becoming President which he was being touted as being a future hopeful

HrdFFCnYtbk

inimalist
Its worth watching the whole thing, though equally painful.

Just getting through the first round of questions from a generally agreeable senator, rather than discuss the DEAs role in Fast and Furious, she suggested that guns hadn't in fact gotten into the hands of criminals...

I think its just a "pass the buck" strategy. Take the questions but don't say anything solid on anything at all. She clearly doesn't deserve her job.

Oh, my favorite part is when she admits she's never met a patient who uses medical marijuana, though she is the top individual enforcing the war against medical marijuana.

EDIT:

Leonhart's opening statement:

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/Hearings%202012/Leonhart%2006202012.pdf

Darth Jello
The justice department just sees the drug war as a cash bonanza and would ban caffeine if they could make a buck off busting it and if the corporate overlords would let them. The disease industry wants to keep Marijuana illegal because it's an herb and can't be patented whereas cocaine, heroin, and other derivatives are processed so you can actually patent oxycontin or novocain. Just legalize medical marijuana through creative use of the Sherman Act, dissolve the DEA, and then absorb all the newly unemployed NARC agents into the ATF.
If the government really wanted to keep all those agents employed and enrich itself, why not bust up every extremist group in the country stockpiling gold and confiscate the gold? They could use the flimsy but accurate excuse of WMD's since gold and cobalt are necessary ingredients if you want to cook up a neutron bomb.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
The disease industry wants to keep Marijuana illegal because it's an herb and can't be patented

Actually, it can.

If they genetically engineer anything and patent that, they can sue anyone for using that particular nucleotide sequence.

For example: farmers have been sued over the companies contaminating their (the farmers) crops with their super crops. All they had to do was look for cross pollination and, bam, they can sue over that particular nucleotide sequence.

Welcome to the 21st century patent wars.

sweersa
As an American, I can say our "war on drugs" is an absolute joke, as is the DEA and many of the other Federal "alphabet soup" agencies such as the ATF and IRS.

End the fed.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by dadudemon
Actually, it can.

If they genetically engineer anything and patent that, they can sue anyone for using that particular nucleotide sequence.

For example: farmers have been sued over the companies contaminating their (the farmers) crops with their super crops. All they had to do was look for cross pollination and, bam, they can sue over that particular nucleotide sequence.

Oh yeah, I hadn't considered the Monsanto Crime Syndicate.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon

true, but pharma companies are opposing marijuana legalization so that they can have a monopoly on synthetic THC.

you can copyright the plant, but then monsanto and pfizer are banking on the police enforcing their copyright law as aggressively as they currently do prohibition (else MJ will still proliferate at local levels through local growers).

If its only the synthetic that is legal, only major companies will have the legal right to distribute it.

Omega Vision
Either the DEA are engaging in serious doublethink or they're just continuing with this charade because they don't want to admit they've been wasting time, money, and people's lives waging war on a drug that's less dangerous and addictive than most legal drugs.

siriuswriter
My god. That was in the range of Sarah Palin.

Medical Marijuana is a good thing, especially when used in lieu of pain medication. I say that no one should be head of DEA without actually experiencing some of the consequences of not having any medical marijuana at all, anywhere.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Omega Vision
...or they're just continuing with this charade because they don't want to admit they've been wasting time, money, and people's lives waging war on a drug that's less dangerous and addictive than most legal drugs.

that. and succeeding. we all sit back and laugh like some victory was won, but still its business as usual.

Oliver North
Michele Leonhart strikes again:

tJ6ueAE_wPw

though, full disclosure, it turns out she was correct about the Fast and Furious operation...

Mairuzu
I needed a smoke after watching that.

Originally posted by sweersa
As an American, I can say our "war on drugs" is an absolute joke, as is the DEA and many of the other Federal "alphabet soup" agencies such as the ATF and IRS.

End the fed.

War on some drugs

Ascendancy
I can go to a doctor and get a prescription for only anyone but the DEA knows how many drugs with possibly lethal side effects and high chance of addiction, yet I'd go to jail for using marijuana to control pain if I had some kind of debilitating disease. Makes perfect sense.

"Only in America."

Omega Vision
The worst aspect of the DEA is that they still resist the cultivation of industrial hemp--which has absolutely NO potential for use as a drug, and which in addition to being useful in the production of textiles and a carbon-negative cement substitute also has amazing properties as a cheap, nutritious food source.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Omega Vision
industrial hemp--which has absolutely NO potential for use as a drug

not to quibble, but that statement is false. while industrial hemp was selectively bred to produce more leaf/fiber and less flower, there is still thc in the flower, even though at a much lower percentage than those strains selectively bred for recreational/medicinal use.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by focus4chumps
not to quibble, but that statement is false. while industrial hemp was selectively bred to produce more leaf/fiber and less flower, there is still thc in the flower, even though at a much lower percentage than those strains selectively bred for recreational/medicinal use.
You're wrong.

Having trace amounts of THC doesn't mean that industrial hemp has use as a drug.

As I understand it, if you tried to smoke industrial hemp you'd get a headache and that's it.

Mairuzu
You'd get a head change... just not the good kind lol. Smoke a stem and you'll find out.

Oliver North
it's possible to make quite potent hash from marijuana stems, I can't imagine the same is true of hemp (at least using a reasonable amount).

I suspect smoking hemp would give you a feeling more associated with smoke inhalation or lack of oxygen than anything close to the effect of the cannabanoids.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.