Is it possible to consciously perceive hallucinations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
I know it sounds crazy, but that's why I'm asking. Is it possible for one to trigger one's brain to consciously perceive hallucinations

Symmetric Chaos
Being conscious is one of the traditional criteria for having an hallucinations (since while unconscious they're dreams). If you're looking for a particular mechanism various drugs can produce them (even marijuana for a sufficiently clinical definition of hallucinations) as can sensory deprivation and lack of sleep.

the ninjak
I think he means just doing it through thought. No drugs. No sleep deprivation. Just sitting at the table one day and deciding I wanna see crazy stuff.
The brain is such a riddle that there is no answer for that one.

Read some Carlos Castaneda or something. Though they used lots of drugs.

I once slept for under 1/2 hour in a week a few times. I couldn't tell if I was in a dream or reality anymore.

But this question is selective to the individual.

Stoic
Originally posted by Lestov16
I know it sounds crazy, but that's why I'm asking. Is it possible for one to trigger one's brain to consciously perceive hallucinations

So what did you see? I just had to ask.

Oliver North
There are a number of ways to answer this, such as a hallucination you produced willfully would, by definition, not be a hallucination...

However, basically, no. You cannot produce hallucinations willfully beyond simply imagining a sound, taste, smell, touch or sight. Being able to would be a sign of psychological illness.

Lord Lucien
Or psychological superpowers. Bright side.

Dolos
It's called a "lucid" dream.

A dream that is very strong, meaning it stimulates one's multisensory integration almost like an acid trip. Another word for dream is 'hypnagogic hallucination'. In fact, to the trained mind, a few days in meditative deep sleep can allow them to create a dream so deep and lucid that it can be a crazier experience than consuming a ball hashish would be for a normal person, a Virtual Reality that is under complete control, like the one we're living in now.

The cosmos is, after all, the collective dream of consciousnesses.

Mindship
Originally posted by Dolos
It's called a "lucid" dream.

A dream that is very strong, meaning it stimulates one's multisensory integration almost like an acid trip. Another word for dream is 'hypnagogic hallucination'. In fact, to the trained mind, a few days in meditative deep sleep can allow them to create a dream so deep and lucid that it can be a crazier experience than consuming a ball hashish would be for a normal person, a Virtual Reality that is under complete control, like the one we're living in now.
facepalm2

Dolos
Mindship, discoveries made by "science" (which isn't really anything), are the result of false experiences (hallucinations) which in and of themselves have been designed by consciousnesses strong enough to trick weaker minds into thinking the universe has specific laws. When there are laws that we can't refute, we are very limited in our capacity to defy them, because we cannot accept a world without them when we buy into it. Maybe you're aware of this fact, and you're attempting to deceive me (very bad decision on your part), but I'm still up for grabs at this point in time.

I've demonstrated this fact through experience. Of course I'm making unbacked statements, I have no empirical proof other than my perhaps delusional experiences. Maybe, maybe we're in some baseline reality (if such a thing exists), in that case I'm headed toward my death or a padded cell, but where is the proof of that? I will continue to try and demonstrate the law of attraction via breaking certain physical laws that have been uncovered scientifically.

Mindship
Dolos, I like you. You're a seeker, you have passion, you like words. But as has been said to you many times before, you are all over the place with your thoughts and ideas. Brainstorming is wonderful but you need discipline, especially when it comes to communication, in particular with yourself. Passion w/o discipline is a car w/o steering. It's hard to get where you wanna go.

May I offer a suggestion?

In a single sentence, in ten words or less (the fewer the better), define yourself. Take three days to do this (even if you come up with something as soon as you read this, work on it, refine it). PM me then if you prefer, or if it's something you wish to keep private (which has its advantages), that's cool too.

Dolos

Dolos
edit

Oliver North
Originally posted by Dolos
'hypnagogic hallucination'

just as a point of fact, a hypnagogic hallucination is one that an individual experiences as they fall asleep or before they wake. They are incredibly common, and are defined by a person being between two states of consciousness, ie: sleep and awake. I've not heard dreams and hallucinations equated the way you do, especially given how both are thought to work on a mechanistic level, though I can see the connection you are making at sort of superfluous levels. Without getting too technical, and staying sort of philosophical about conscious experience, rather than being a distortion of consciousness (as hallucinations are), dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources.

Mindship
Originally posted by Oliver North
dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources. I like to think of it as SSI's (stored sensory impressions) rather than ISI's (immediate sensory impressions).

I had a lucid dream last year where I was walking through a hotel lobby, touching things, feeling detailed textures, noticing light and shadow, and I was utterly marveling at how my brain was fabricating this reality.

Dolos
Originally posted by Oliver North
just as a point of fact, a hypnagogic hallucination is one that an individual experiences as they fall asleep or before they wake. They are incredibly common, and are defined by a person being between two states of consciousness, ie: sleep and awake. I've not heard dreams and hallucinations equated the way you do, especially given how both are thought to work on a mechanistic level, though I can see the connection you are making at sort of superfluous levels. Without getting too technical, and staying sort of philosophical about conscious experience, rather than being a distortion of consciousness (as hallucinations are), dreams can be better thought of as a result of a different state of consciousness, where the perception of stimuli comes from internal sources rather than external sources.

I know I know I still thought it was a good comparison. But is it not a hallucination, if we use the term loosely?

And the hypnagogic hallucinations allow us to "consciously decide our dreams". In that state positive affirmation like "this dream will be lucid" or "I won't know that it's a dream but I will make things the way I want them" can go a long way.

If one is ever able to have a lucid dream, where they don't know it's a dream, and in which they can control it basically by altering reality - than I'd think that would be far more empowering to the ego. Though it's hard to do that multiple because the unconscious is clever, and can remember what things were synthetic and what things weren't. It's self-hypnosis, you can forget how you got there (by falling asleep) and basically brainwash yourself. My goal is to implant subliminal messages into my unconscious to the point where I consciously question whether or not I can really influence "baseline" reality like a Hindu God, and then I want to see if I actually can. Really. *straight face*

When I'm unsure whether or not I'm in a dream state, I will be cautious, I'll create an emerald in my hand as opposed to jumping in front of a bus to see if I'm intangible. If I create the emerald, I still need to be careful, to see if I'm actually not having daylight hallucinations in reality, I'll show someone, then try and determine if they are real by waiting it out. You have to be cautious, never know if you've caused schizophrenia by hypnotizing yourself too many times and having too many lucid dreams. Really, if that were true, and my schizophrenia was that strong, I'd at least be happier with life than I am now. I can't stand my voice, my appearance, the same things, my life, the fact that I have to conform to average to make sure I don't end up maimed, dead, institutionalized, or imprisoned, it's all too real and depressing for me. I have to deviate from the natural, become divergent.

Raisen
I'm now convinced that dolos lives in his own reality to cope with being raped or freely giving up sex for protection.....in jail

Dolos
You're a little off. I was never raped, the worst anyone ever did to me is a few haymakers that felt like feathers.

No, I'm just the prodigal son. That's the way I am, high expectations, excitement, fun, near-death experience, rush, chaos, challenge, with me cheating death, surviving, overcoming crazy odds, and conquering those who oppose me. I think my creation is the result of a force of will, and I think that I can shape my reality because existence is a dream. I am either wrong about that, and will create whatever life I wish to have in a divergent stupor, or I'll bend reality to my whim. Either way it will appear the same to me. I'm a thrill seeker, I live in the moment, I crave instant sensual gratification, I have no concern for much at all, I'd find a real rapture thrilling, as long as I was at its epicenter, the more destruction surrounding me the more I'd feel invulnerable when my rush is flowing. When I was on the depressant known as geodon, I changed completely the polar opposite of a thrill seeker - unnerved and anxious, but now I'm coming back to my original persona.

Mindset
Join the army.

Dolos
I do not serve others, because I don't trust or have faith that others are in control of their actions. I was referring to a more chaotic, "free for all" scenario.

I excel at chaotic competition, where deviousness or cleverness is useless because there is no reliable work around like, for instance, the combined effectiveness yielded by the cooperation of multiple people. I want to shake up the world around me, so no one can adapt to it, so that it's chaotic, because then my ability to create order will be exclusive and shaped around my desires - because right now it's not shaped around any one else's.

Dolos
but they don't mind submitting to what works and accepting that there are things beyond their control, like I do, that's why they're better at adapting than me for now: Because right now I want to try something different.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lestov16

Its called imagination.

Oneness
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Its called imagination. thumb down

There is false or distorted memories created as a product of imagination inflation. There one can achieve amnesia via repression or suppression. There is also guided meditation. Guided hypnosis is a little stronger than guided meditation unless you're REALLY good at meditation.

However, these things PALE in comparison to lucid dreams - guided dreams dwarf guided meditation/hypnosis in that they literally trick all 5 senses.

When I was on Geodon, an anti-psychotic known to induce narcolepsy and muscle failure (one day I couldn't even get up), I had one lucid dreams and I had Type 2 False Awakenings regularly.

My point is that you can take a man, and MK Ultra probably did this, and fill his head with whatever information you want using drugs and techniques. You can use technology and make the world an illusion for general populace using media, etc so they are apathetic. In fact, magicians utilize illusions, making you concentrate on the illusions and miss out on the real thing. The human mind is raped on a day to day basis by the new order.

The only way to defend your thoughts in the modern age, keep the instincts you were born with, are heavy psychotics like Crack and Aderall XR. And those are choppy at best, and will cause psychosis. Best bet are speed-like anti-depressants mixed with some mild psychostimulant, weaker than Aderall. Nicotine will give you a very strong boost in metabolism when mixed with those to match aderall, followed by a low.

Bardock42
eW4tY8mQ_1o

Oneness
Originally posted by Bardock42
eW4tY8mQ_1o I actually loved that episode.

Everything from fiction in one epic battle and a reality warping Butters.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Oneness
thumb down

There is false or distorted memories created as a product of imagination inflation. There one can achieve amnesia via repression or suppression. There is also guided meditation. Guided hypnosis is a little stronger than guided meditation unless you're REALLY good at meditation.

However, these things PALE in comparison to lucid dreams - guided dreams dwarf guided meditation/hypnosis in that they literally trick all 5 senses.

When I was on Geodon, an anti-psychotic known to induce narcolepsy and muscle failure (one day I couldn't even get up), I had one lucid dreams and I had Type 2 False Awakenings regularly.

My point is that you can take a man, and MK Ultra probably did this, and fill his head with whatever information you want using drugs and techniques. You can use technology and make the world an illusion for general populace using media, etc so they are apathetic. In fact, magicians utilize illusions, making you concentrate on the illusions and miss out on the real thing. The human mind is raped on a day to day basis by the new order.

The only way to defend your thoughts in the modern age, keep the instincts you were born with, are heavy psychotics like Crack and Aderall XR. And those are choppy at best, and will cause psychosis. Best bet are speed-like anti-depressants mixed with some mild psychostimulant, weaker than Aderall. Nicotine will give you a very strong boost in metabolism when mixed with those to match aderall, followed by a low.

Most of what you said seems straight forward if not for a few phases that don't really make sense. Maybe its just me, but I have no idea what these things are.

"imagination inflation"
"dwarf guided meditation"
"Type 2 False Awakenings"

Oneness
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Most of what you said seems straight forward if not for a few phases that don't really make sense. Maybe its just me, but I have no idea what these things are.

"imagination inflation"
"dwarf guided meditation"
"Type 2 False Awakenings"

"imagination inflation" - where you fill particularly vivid memories with your imagination, effectively changing them.

"dwarf guided meditation" - I meant to say dwarfing guided mediation. Or did I say "that dwarf guided meditation"? wink

"Type 2 False Awakenings" - That's where, in your dream, you seemingly wake up from another dream but you're still dreaming, except it is more vivid than a usual false awakening in that everything has changed.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Oneness
"imagination inflation" - where you fill particularly vivid memories with your imagination, effectively changing them.

"dwarf guided meditation" - I meant to say dwarfing guided mediation. Or did I say "that dwarf guided meditation"? wink

"Type 2 False Awakenings" - That's where, in your dream, you seemingly wake up from another dream but you're still dreaming, except it is more vivid than a usual false awakening in that everything has changed.

OK, good. However, "dwarf guided meditation" made me lol, but now I understand what you meant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.