cheating in video games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
hey, how do all you gamers feel about cheating in video games? do any of you ever cheat, or use codes to make it easier or anything. i bring it up cuz one of my friends cheat all the time and i was talking with him about it. i for one dont see the point in cheating, it kinda defeats the purpose of playing games, they are meant to be challenging which cause you to keep playing so you can get better. but cheating just takes away an challenge and takes away any skill that goes into gaming.

Tex
This belongs in the video games thread.

Corran
I agree with both of you, cheating defeats the object of the game, isn't it more of an achievement to play well and win without cheating. And what Tex said too.

mah
I don't like using cheat codes..have to check walkthrus sometimes though whistle

Dexx
I only use cheats only if pushed to extremes...if i see that the game is STUPIDLY hard.
But, after you cheat..the game is ruined....so i try to avoid it at all cost.

Captain REX
I usually use cheats AFTER I've beaten the game, to see how it affects the gameplay.

For example, I've beaten Jedi Outcast. I turn on the code SCOOTER and my Force powers do not run out of energy. Therefore, I can fry everyone with Force Lightning for the rest of the level.

Catch 22

rusky
Yeah, cheats spoil the fun for ya....

Dexx
yeah....guess the cheating feeling is diminuished when ya know the game is not original.

rusky
True...hey Dexx, what's with the McLaren Thing ?
I myself 'love' Ferrari...

Captain REX
What's McLaren anyway?

ToMacco
Hey Rexie, I can't get anywhere in Jedi Outcast. The game pisses me right off. The only feature of that game I've used is the Jedi Arena. My buddies come over, and we get drunk as piss and slice each other up with the lightsabers.

Dexx
there are some stupidly hard puzzles in jko....managed to get through them in the end.
What do ya mean what's with the mclaren...i'm the ultimate fan.
I'm the f1 maniac.

Thomas H
cheating are for loosers!

Captain REX
That sounds like fun To! Too bad I don't have more than one controller...

That still doesn't explain what McLaren is, Dexx.

Dexx
McLaren is my faivourite F1 team. (and the leading team this eason...yay!)

Hegemon875
For me cheating makes the game more fun. I cheat on almost every single game I have. I know I'm in the minority here but having everything from the start and being invincible is fun for me. I guess if you're playing for a challenge cheating would be bad but I play for a good story so I cheat in order to better experience the story. This only goes for single player non-fighting games though. I have Gameshark for N64, Playstation, gameboy color, gameboy advance, and the new action replay max for the PS2 which allows me to download codes directly off the internet! Very cool.

yerssot
rediculous to cheat! I never cheat in a game, unless I finished it and just want to have some fun with chopping or shooting without thinking

wicker_man
I agree with yerssot, take a game like GTA:Vice City you have the option to input trivial cheats such as 'crazy NPC's (Non Playable Characters), which dont really have that much of an effect on the game,GTA itself is one of those games that i just enjoy driving around,exploring and causing genral mayhem lol instead of doing the missions,those cheats i like to use but when it comes to cheating against human opponents i dont like to do,for the reason i believe it is unfair so what im trying to say is depends on the circumstances and the situation.

thorncrawler
i just use codes once ive finished a game, like on gta making all the pedestrians homisidal(sp) great fun but only once your bored with the game

ragesRemorse
i am both for and against cheating. I agree with the majority that cheating defeats the purpose of a challenging game expierence. I am one who likes to get the full expierence. I like to do everything possible in video games.

However there are some games where cheat codes just enhance the game play and make it as entertaining as possible. There are certain games and cheats that dont make the game any easier just more fun. Sometimes after weeks or months on a certain part i may break down and refer to a strategy guide on a given stage or even a certain cheat code. This is just so i dont end up putting the game controller through the T.V. I have never used a strategy guide though i truly believe there is no point in playing a game if you use the strategy guide to beat the game. you might as well just read the book instead of play the game

crazy_c
Heh i cheat in every way possible stick out tongue Its really easy on the snes emulator i hav. If ya die ya just gotta open state and do it again and again till u finish it.

LindsIsTightK
I cheat all the time on the video games that I play. I can't help it, I get impatient so it just seems easier to cheat.

Hegemon875
Yay I have supporters!!

LindsIsTightK
I buy the Player's Guide to every single game I own even if it is a really easy game.

plenTpak52
I only cheat with the GTA and Tony Hawk sagas. GTa it more fun when you cheat (except in the long run, because you miss out on little goodies), and Ton Hawk is sometimes funny when you cheat. I've actually stopped cheating in Tony Hawk

royal_jester
Cheating is a cheap way to get through a game. Some people are lazy to get through hard obstacles in a game. But I guess cheating can be a last resort if your stuck and you can't get out of it.

slayer
Like many others i only cheat whenb i've completed the game 4 fun.

Hegemon875
Well I'm lazy and proud of it yes

Tex
I only cheat after I've beaten the game.
Its fun playing afterwards with infinite ammo and such smokin'

crazy_c
If you dont use a walkthroughs in games such as final fantasy then it will take you a VERY long time to finish

slayer
When i've finished the game i just love being invincible! It's really fun on heaps of games like Minority report and Mystic Heroes! big grin

Lulu
i only cheat after i beat the game.

forumcrew
its pointless.. mine as well not beat it if u need to cheat why get a game to not really play it?

el_barto
its realy freaky for me because i hate to cheat but when i find a cheat i use it anny ways even though i hate to cheat wierd aint it

ragesRemorse
You know if your an expierenced gamer. You can beat the game quicker without using the players guide. Using the players guide doesnt tell you how to expierence the full effect of the game, that is only done when you are playing the game on your own with out external help (cheats) , players guides

h0ck3yh0rr0r
cheating makes games:
1. easier
2. boring
3. game ends fast
4. and if u use cheats and u cant win u just SUCK

smile

vvvrulz
Cheating takes the fun out of gaming, unless youre well and truly stuck and need a hand. Tips and Walkthru's are fine. Despite all this, all too often i find myself unable to resist the tempation and go cheat hunting :P

DracotheDragon
I usually use cheats only when ive played the game and beaten it all the ways possible to beat it. Like i can get through the original DOOM for pc with just a handgun on nightmare mode. After i did that, i decided to start using cheats, such as IDDQD - godmode; IDKFA - all guns and full ammo; IDCLIP - walk through walls; IDBEHOLD then A, I, V, L, etc.; IDCLEVxx - level jump - where xx = level number (01 for 1, etc.) Then u can relive ur game a different way. whistle

tptmanno1
Im one of the ppl who only use cheats ofter i beat it just to have more fun,
like in enter the matrix, i put on infint health, ammo and focus, go into a level with a bunch of cops and just pull crazy moves

Broadsword20043
Hey people, a game is a GAME. It is NOT necessarily meant to be challenging all the time. There is not right or wrong way to play agame. If you play agame to develop your skillz, then yeah, of course cheating defeats that purpose. But games like GTA3 and GTA: Vice City, if all you want to do is just go blow stuff up and all that, cheating is fine. You're not doing anything bad. If you wanna cheat, CHEAT!! If you wanna brag about your skillz though, don't cheat. And cheating is NOT for losers; losers are people who actually listen to other people. Games are meant for fun; if you want the game to be challenging as well, then just don't use cheats. An example could be RPGs. People are always talking about the gameplay of games like Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, etc....the gameplay to all those RPGs in my opinion SUCKS COCK!! It's boring to do those stupid random battles constantly, or battles at all. I play RPGs for storylines, music, graphics, and artwork mainly. So, to me, it's fine to cheat in a game such as an RPG. Now that doesn't mean that I always do; matter of fact, I never did cuz I wanted to be able to say to people, "Well, I beat blah blah blah blah......" and have acutally BEAT the game. But if you wanna cheat, then cheat. Don't let other morns tell you it's wrong somehow or that you're not a real gamer or something. A real gamer is someone who plays games for fun, in the realm of videogames. A real gamer is also someone who goes through all the hard work to beat certain games. Certain games rely on not cheating to beat them. My point is, some games it's fien to cheat in or not to have fun, but other games not cheating is required or it won't be fun. Take chess. How fun would chess be if all your pawns could act like queens!?!?! Horrible. But how much fun is GTA3 if you're trying to outrun the cops and your car blows up?? Great fun! How much fun is it if your cars goes on fire and you use a cheat to give it full health immediately? Still great fun!! If you're talking about playing football or something, then a real gamer is someone who does solely all the hard work to get good at the sport. So, if you're playing a game for fun, use cheats or not. It's all what is more fun for you.

Broadsword20043
Oh, in that other post, I meant LOSERS are people who actually listen to other people when it comes to whether or not cheating in games like GTA3 and Vice City is a bad thing to do. Make your own decision.

scott
cheats are only good if you missed something during the game

SaTsuJiN
well, it depends if you cheat 'after' you beat the game in order to get some laughs in. I think if you cheat before hand you just wasted your 50 bucks and are probably a sore loser (to find out if they are, just beat them in a fighting game, if they curse and whine, chances are they're a sore loser).

Lionheart
Its always ruins a rpg if you cheat it takes away all of the fun and a walkthrough is just a big book of spoilers if you want to go out and buy a game you know you are going to play for a month then leave teh gamesharks and action replays to the action gamers teh whole point of an Rpg video game is to challege you not to tempt you to cheat.

Linkalicious
I like games like Golden Eye where you earn cheats by defeating levels quickly or by performing certain objectives and side quests. I hate the games where you just put in a code or something in order to get cheats.

Lionheart
Yeah its like butchering the game when you use a cheat device.

eleveninches
dont cheat online in UT2004, or you will be banned by the master server!!!

Lord_Andres
Cheating is for pussy's.
A friend of mine bought Tomb Raider Angel of darkness 2 days ago, and already today he asked me to find some cheats on the internet for him, HOW LAME IS THAT??? I'm still wondering why he even bought the game, you buy a game to get some challange(thats what I like too do) not just to beat it up in as fast as you can using cheats, ok if you've owned the game since God knows when, beat a few times, and just want to waste your time then I think its ok to use cheats, but thats it.

Raventheonly
Well there is only one game worth cheating on, not because its hard but because its takes too much time... Morrowind and healing along with magika.... you can regenerate but you must sleep.... lol and that takes a load screen....

Rogue Jedi
same here. no cheats, but i i get stuck on a level, i will consult a walkthrough.

supafraud
killbot is available for battlefield vietnam, you can find it if you search for it on google

whitedragon
cheats are crap but some of them do make a game funny. unlockable cheats like n64 007 are great.but cheating a rpg aint on! its wrong just like M.Jackson! Some game shark codes can be funny but mods for pc games are great, they add so much fun to the game. Max Payne mods are so funny. Cheating for inf.health and loadza money just sux ass, coz theres no point in even buying a game. the games are ment 2b beaten!

Samas-adian
I dont cheat at all at the first time i play the game. But afterwords, sometimes its fun to have an all gun cheat or something. Especially in games where you have alot of enemies or something.

methinkalexahot
all the time if I don't win I just throw a fitrobot

Raventheonly
Hitman 2 is the only one were cheating was almost a must

Zebra 3
I won't cheat until I finished the game, but I will read up on a walkthrough if I get stuck somewhere.

chops
i use walkthroughs when i get stuck but if i just cant do it no matter what i do i may use cheats

Myth
I like to play games the way they are, but I will use a cheat just for a quick giggle. Never to beat a game though.

Myth
Speaking of cheating though, my little brother mocked me today for playing NBA Live 2004 with a team that was well, just below the quality of the current Lakers. I told him I was just playing around a bit (btw, the difficulty was all the way up), and he called me a pussy. Later today, I found him playing through Enter the Matrix with infinite Health and infinite Focus. That little cock sucker.

chops
ha

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.