A Primer on the Emperor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys

Nephthys

Nephthys

Nephthys

Nephthys
Too Long; Didn't Read.

The Sith Emperor is a great big doodoo head and Nephthys was bored.

Ascendancy
Once again I say: why aren't movies being made for the Old Republic? No worries about destroying our beloved characters by having new people reprise Luke, Lando, Leia, Han, etc. HUGE land and space battles, great protagonists and villains, and enough lightsaber action to leave after-images in your retinas. All of that is cool to read and see in a game, but this is begging to be on the big screen.

Thanks for the posting.

Nephthys
I agree, the concept of the Old Republic setting was a brilliant move by Bioware, and imo they made use of the setting extremely well. It's almost sad that its only being used by a video game and a few novels though.

Personally what I would do is finish the Clone Wars cartoon (it has to end eventually) and move on to making a cartoon on the TOR-era war. It would be hard to incorporate the current characters though. You'd nee to make canon versions of the classes, which I figure they won't do.

A movie could also be good.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Nephthys
I agree, the concept of the Old Republic setting was a brilliant move by Bioware, and imo they made use of the setting extremely well. It's almost sad that its only being used by a video game and a few novels though.

Personally what I would do is finish the Clone Wars cartoon (it has to end eventually) and move on to making a cartoon on the TOR-era war. It would be hard to incorporate the current characters though. You'd nee to make canon versions of the classes, which I figure they won't do.

A movie could also be good.

Animated, no less.

Nephthys
**** CGI. Unless it's made by the guys who did the TOR trailers. That would probably be pretty expensive though.

Lord Lucien
Like they can't afford it. But they know we'll lap up the dregs of animation.

Ascendancy
I think live-action would be great. The Old Republic storyline is setup perfectly for the darker aura that pervaded ROTS. It's also a saga that begs for good actors and actually allowing them to act. No falling out of ships then being fine as soon as someone helps you up, no "NOOOOOOOOOOO!", no Jar Jars, just a great story in a universe that so many are clamoring to see. Could you imagine if a new series were released that on top of just being something that we're all begging for were well-acted and recieved critical acclaim as well?

Maybe I'm foolish, but I see so much potential going to waste by not bringing it to the biggest audience possible. Even from a business perspective I don't understand it because it could be animated by fourth-graders and still make hundreds of millions, so why not do it right and reap the benefits?

RE: Blaxican
Too many characters, too big a storyline, for a live action movie to ever work.

Anyway, give me a couple of hours to get home and find a good "didnt read lol" gif to post in here.

Ascendancy
Psssh, if they can make Game of Thrones happen anything is possible. I'll take an HBO series, whatever it takes. I want no excuses, Captain. Bring me the rebels!

Nephthys
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Too many characters, too big a storyline, for a live action movie to ever work.

Anyway, give me a couple of hours to get home and find a good "didnt read lol" gif to post in here.

I preempted you and made a tl;dr post just for you Blaxy.

RE: Blaxican
Game of Thrones is also a tv series, not a movie. lol

Though, I don't think you specified a movie, just live action, so we're good.

Edit- /fist shake at Neph.

Arhael
Nice analysis. It actually made me think about a few theories.

Essence transfer
Voice of the Emperor. So basically it is a body of some random immensely powerful Force user that contains emperor's essence and power. Is it right? Didn't I miss anything? If he indeed transferred his essence, then what happened to original body? How can it exist without a soul? Also, there is canon evidence that original body dies/gets destroyed as result of essence transfer.

As example, we have Bane, who transferred his essence into Zannah. As the result of the ritual his body turned into ashes.

We have Palpatine transferring his essence several times. In each case, except one, he was killed. The only case, when he didn't get killed was, when Luke attacked clone laboratory. I made a research and even in this case Palpatine had to die in order to transfer essence into laboratory clone.
EMPEROR: Hmm....is it so? Very well...then I must die!!! (LAUGHS. THE LAUGHTER ECHOES AS HIS BODY FADES OUT OF HIS CLOTHING.)

So we have two different Sith and both die as result of essence transfer.

To make survival of original body even more skeptical Voice of the Emperor got trapped at Voss. My best source is wookieepedia, so prove me, if this statement is wrong:
"Sel-Makor imprisoned the Voss that served as the Voice of the Emperor and kept him from killing himself, thus preventing this Voice of the Sith Emperor from seeking a new voice."
According to this Vitiate indeed needed to die in order to seek new body.
So can we assume that there is no original body left?

Another argument why it might be original body
Original body is assumed to be the strongest due to highest midichlorian count, which was the original source of his superior power. Wouldn't it make sense to perform galaxy consuming ritual with original body to ensure its survivable?
As counter to this argument could be said that it is better to keep original body elsewhere, if ritual destroys him. But since the ritual was meant to consume entire galaxy, wouldn't it consume the original body together with all possible Voices?

Why it matters?
Why it matters, whether JK killed original body or a Voice? Vitiate demonstrated that he can transfer his essence from body to body together with his power. Even, if it was original body, he would simply jump into someone else. Sidious lost original body and still he returned and even, when clones finished, he was gonna transfer into Anakin.

Honestly, I think he is bullshitting.
When Palpatine transferred into last clone body in laboratory, how long did it take him to recover? He engaged in lightsaber combat straight away, tanked Luke's Force lightning, out dueled him, broke his will and mind dominated him. Basically Palpatine showed what the most powerful Sith is capable of without any need to recover.

Was it the prophesied duel?
Nephtys, indeed you made great analysis. Can't give any valid argument against that.

The only thing I can say is that having two similar duels of the fate doesn't strike as incredible plot device.

If we think about it. Why the Force showed that vision to Scourge? So he can help defeat Emperor. He did his part and as result Vitiate died. But, if he is still alive, it means that Scourge won't be able to help again and, therefore, the vision had no purpose. And we know that the Force doesn't give visions just for fun sake.

And for JK everything went right. His first kiss in his entire life gave him that boost of love to amplify his lightside power. He tanked all Vitiate's attacks like a boss. And as the result he became Jedi Master.

If JK is, yet, again to fight Emperor, my imagination went as far as this:
JM lost his virginity and his girlfriend got pregnant and he gets double boost from happiness of having sex and becoming father.
Emperor this time will have apart from standard powers twice more illusions, dark tentacles, ability to fly and much more reddish eyes.
JM still tanks like a boss but this time he experiences rare state of Oneness with the Force, glows like a lighting bulb and Vitiate first time in his entire all dominating life gets overpowered.
And at congratulations ceremony Satele Shan says: "OH! SHIT!!! I give you my Grand Master Title".
laughing

Nephthys
Just to clarify, but I didn't write this, it was another person from the Swtor forums. The link is at the top. I'll reply to the rest later if you want.

By the way, Satale doesn't make you a Jedi Master if you are darkside. She snubs you right there in your victory celebration. Instead you get made Grand General of the Republic.

Arhael
Just to clarify, but I didn't write this, it was another person from the Swtor forums. The link is at the top. I'll reply to the rest later if you want.

By the way, Satale doesn't make you a Jedi Master if you are darkside. She snubs you right there in your victory celebration. Instead you get made Grand General of the Republic.

To be honest it's all speculation and assumptions. I don't think authors would pay attention to every single detail of other sources to make it perfectly consistent and invent their own thing. So all those contradictions I pointed out might simply be discarded as different portrayal of things.

So far it seems they made it unclear and debatable, whether Vitiate is finished for good or is coming back, so they have freedom of choice of bringing him back with next update or not.

By the way, is Malgus still alive? Wook says that he declared himself New Emperor. Maybe he gonna be the new main villain in next update? I really liked Deceived book with him. His rage reminded me of Oppress and Marek. Excluding Vitiate he struck me as the most powerful Sith of his time. And he is the only Sith I know, who truly sacrificed his love, unlike Jacen.

Existentialist
Originally posted by Arhael
Excluding Vitiate he struck me as the most powerful Sith of his time.

Palpatine says Malgus is an exemplary Sith whose combat feats have never been duplicated (Book of Sith).

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Psssh, if they can make Game of Thrones happen anything is possible. I'll take an HBO series, whatever it takes. I want no excuses, Captain. Bring me the rebels!

I can see it now... The Old Republic series, on HBO. Tons more violence and sex than the baseline fans can tolerate.

Ascendancy
Hah, well I hope they don't try to add to it. Quite seriously there are enough beheadings and killing of innocents in the sagas already. Maybe slightly racier Twilek dancers or something, but that's about it.

I would think that since Lucas allowed for a cartoon/animated Clone Wars that he'd be cool with a live action series or new films.

Existentialist
Lucas said in his 2008 interview with Total Film that he's left explicit instructions that there aren't to be "any more features ."

Nephthys
Fvck Lucas so hard.

Existentialist
He's ensuring the supremacy of his story and creative vision. I can respect that, even if I don't agree with everything he does.

Stealth Moose
So basically, he wants to make bank off of "his universe", but he still green-lights substandard EU so he can make a quick buck.

That'd be like Tolkien's family renting out LotR license to various authors and artists who make hobbits that use high sorcery and dwarves crafting rings that make the One look like a pewter trinket.

Darth Ray Park
To be fair most EU writers have pretty solid science fiction literature credentials for the most part, and George doesn;t really have time to read all of them, but its not like he just lets anyone right them. Like, worrst writer credentials wrise is probably drw karposhynb who still wrote the screenplay for one of the most beloeved rpgs and star wars eu stories of all times.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Darth Ray Park
To be fair most EU writers have pretty solid science fiction literature credentials for the most part, and George doesn;t really have time to read all of them, but its not like he just lets anyone right them. Like, worrst writer credentials wrise is probably drw karposhynb who still wrote the screenplay for one of the most beloeved rpgs and star wars eu stories of all times.

Read Jedi Trial.

Come back.

Stand by your assertion.

Stealth Moose
Also,this seems entirely relavent

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Ray Park
Like, worrst writer credentials wrise is probably drw karposhynb Your bad grammar aside, I really like this sentence.

Existentialist
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
So basically, he wants to make bank off of "his universe", but he still green-lights substandard EU so he can make a quick buck.

That sounds about right.

Nephthys

That'd be like Tolkien's family renting out LotR license to various authors and artists who make hobbits that use high sorcery and dwarves crafting rings that make the One look like a pewter trinket.

Have you played any of the recent LotR games by any chance?

Ascendancy
Also,this seems entirely relavent

That... was funny. Also, I forgot how weaksauce Boba's gear looks in the old movies. My imagination does a wonderful job of modernizing him when I read any of the books.

Let's be honest: EP I & II in a number of ways sucked hard. Pretty much any scene with baby or baby teen Anakin was punctuated by whining, whining, and more whining. Whiners got Force vaporized in the Old Republic.

No worries though, once they get time travel down I will use the machine to create an alternate past in which I get Lucas drunk and get him to sign over the rights, assuring that the drivel that is the CW animation never gets made and that an Old Republic miniseries and Bane Trilogy are brought into existance.

Existentialist
The Bane trilogy was deplorable. Path of Destruction was the only semi-decent installment. Flat, one-dimensional characters and replete with Karpyshyn's inability to write a convincing plot.

Ascendancy
Psssh, I loved it, especially the first two books. And it utterly destroys the weakness that is the LOTF saga.

I don't think Jacen could possibly have been a worse Sith. He comes off almost as whiney as Anakin did in the movies. Mara Jade's death was whack. Ben was a brat for the first EIGHT books. Luke wouldn't step up and get the job done, despite all the beatdowns and beheadings he'd handed out when necessary in the past(Truce at Bakura, etc). The Jedi as a whole were ridiculously ineffective and hunting down Lumiya and Aleema. Bah, such a disappointment.

Did you seriously not enjoy at least the first two Bane novels? I really have to disagree about one-dimensional characters. Huge change in Bane throughout. From miner, to soldier accepting a death sentence to save his troops, to up-and-coming sith, to weakness as he begins to doubt himself, to a return when he finds what he's been seeking. Quoordis going from cocksure to a snivelling wretch at Bane's hands. Kas'im certainly had more to him than just an uncaring blade master. He showed a lot of emotion for a Sith when it came to his interactions with Bane. Githany's willingness to manipulate any and everyone that she needed to. Farfalla and Hoth's arguments with one another. Zannah's struggle to completely lose herself as Rain. Rain's cousin trying to figure out who he was supposed to be. Kaan's deception over all the other Sith. There was nothing one-dimensional about anyone in those books.

Existentialist
LOTF sucked, no question, but there was an abundance of compelling characters and a fascinating story. The Bane trilogy lacked both entirely and was only interesting for its Forcewanking, which means it has the distinction of being on par with TFU at best.

We were given the opportunity of a nine book exploration of a popular and established character's fall to the dark side, something unprecedented. Not to mention that his reasons for doing so were much more complex and multifaceted than Bane's.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Existentialist
LOTF sucked, no question, but there was an abundance of compelling characters and a fascinating story. The Bane trilogy lacked both entirely and was only interesting for its Forcewanking, which means it has the distinction of being on par with TFU at best.

We were given the opportunity of a nine book exploration of a popular and established character's fall to the dark side, something unprecedented. Not to mention that his reasons for doing so were much more complex and multifaceted than Bane's.

Sorry, edited while you were posting. Anyway, my thoughts are above.

Existentialist
Sorry, I didn't see your extensive edit:

Path of Destruction was all right, the others sucked.

That the characters exuded more than one emotion at a random point or underwent a job change or two doesn't complexity or depth make.

Ascendancy
I'll give you that some people like Niathal and Ben certainly show depth, despite the fact that Ben needed a major attitude adjustment through out, Jedi or no, and Fett got fleshed out pretty well also, but even some great characterization on some parts doesn't make up for Jacen's fall basically amounting to him being selfish and blind to his own ambition. Lumiya's manipulation of him between their first meeting and what happened on the asteroid was weak, as well as much of what happened afterward, at least to me. I was also put off by Luke and Mara's unwillingness to put the hammer down when they needed to.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree. We can still be friends as long as I don't find out you have signed Twilight posters decorating your room.

Existentialist
Sounds good.

Ascendancy
Anyway, no one will ever hold a candle to Lords Ballzack and Nuthugger. There were some true powerhouses. Word is that they will be fleshed-out soon.

Ascendancy
Okay, too late for me to edit now. If I made a series called "Star Skirmishes" and took all of this to fruition do you think Lucas would sue me or just have me killed?

ares834
Sue you of course. After all, he is only worth 3.2 billion. He needs every nickel and dime he can get!

Arhael
So, what is the status of Malgus at the end of the game?
He seems to feet role perfectly for the next main antagonist.

Stealth Moose
Have you played any of the recent LotR games by any chance?

LotRO, which actually does a pretty damn good job of honoring Tolkien's creation. Nothing else.

Nephthys
Lets just say I didn't know there were so many wizards running around casting fireball.

Darth Ray Park
The fireball is strong with this one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.