Who has the most evil acts in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MF DELPH
Not a typical "versus", but it is a competition. Title pretty much says it all.

What character has performed the most evil acts in comics? Not necessarily the most acts of murder/genocide, but just 'wrong' in every conceivable way?

Post scans (where possible).

Looking for a Top 10 Most Evil Characters (and their top 10 most evil acts).

Personally, I think Joker may be at the top of the list that I can think of, particularly if you're of the school of thought he isn't insane and simply lives life without any inhibitions whatsoever, so he doesn't have a second thought about anything he does.

I'd say:

1)Joker
2)Darkseid
3)Dr. Doom
4)Loki
5)Thanos

And can't decide on 6-10 off the top of my head.

Discuss.

carver9
Joker by far.

JakeTheBank
Joker's a good candidate just because of his very personal method of committing such evil acts. Plenty of people have higher body counts or operated on grander scale, but not many people go so far out of their way to commit evil just for the lulz. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Joker's not actually crazy - well, he's obviously crazy - to the point where he can't make informed decisions over right and wrong. He knows what he does is horrible and revels in it. Worse, he tries to get others to embrace that aspect. All that crap about him not being responsible for his own actions is just that: crap.

People like Thanos and Darkseid are certainly evil in their own ways, too (Darkseid being more so, imo) and have gladly committed cosmic level atrocities, but for the two of them, they're usually means to an ends. Darkseid wants to eradicate free will and imagination and gain absolute control over all life, which to me, is more heinous than simply wanting to eradicate most of the universe (which is still phucked up).

I'd like to throw out Bullseye as a contender toward the bottom of the list, though. Red Skull, too.

Cogito
Darkseid has an entire planet of subjugated peons whose hope and free will have essentially been stripped from them. I'd have to place him #1

Desaad and Granny Goodness are up there, maybe at 2 and 3

MF DELPH
Hmm, Red Skull and Bullseye are good candidates. As are Darkseid's 'lieutenants'. How about Lex Luthor? I actually don't know if evil quite describes Lex though.

Also, don't forget to list the top 10 most evil acts the characters you would include in a top 10 list has committed.

Q99
Blue Beetle and Booster Gold hid J'onn's oreos.

JakeTheBank
I think Lex is evil, but not diabolically so. He shares a lot of the negative or frowned upon qualities of humanity without being straight up sociopathic. He's selfish, egotistically, petty, vindictive, ruthless, and blames his faults on someone else.

Now, "stormin'" Norman Osborn is one twisted S.O.B.

Igniz
Norman Osborn is a candidate because of that incident with his son Harry making him a douchebag father.

Blackheart qualifies because of this.

Originally posted by Igniz
Blackheart punishing Scarecrow for failing!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHPunishes1.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHPunishes2.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHPunishes3.jpg

or this

Originally posted by Igniz
Blackheart as a Boss.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHAsBoss1.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHAsBoss2.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/igniz5/Blackheart/BHAsBoss3.jpg

Digi
Interesting that a lot seem to be concerned with method or intent. If we were doing this via utilitarian philosophy, we'd just do a body count. For example, despite his epic body count, Joker's total pales in comparison to, say, Thanos. That he does it for more intellectual reasons does not justify it more, imo.

So Joker might be more evil, but his acts are not the most evil.

whacknasty
Good choices so far.

How about Mr. Sinister?

-Pr-
Sinister is a child abuser, so definitely.

I thnk Luthor should be included though.

dmills
The Plutonian. That is all.

quanchi112
Thanos; by leaps and bounds.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thanos; by leaps and bounds.

I would have figured you would have felt that Thanos isn't the most evil being in comics.

Mindset
Doom skinned the love of his life and wore her skin as a suit.

Thanos is gay.

So they are the top two.

whacknasty
Originally posted by Mindset
Doom skinned the love of his life and wore her skin as a suit.

Thanos is gay.

So they are the top two.

Lol. No love for the Titan here at all

quanchi112
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I would have figured you would have felt that Thanos isn't the most evil being in comics. He isn't the most evil he just happens to have the most evil acts.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by dmills
The Plutonian. That is all.

Didn't The Plutonian capture a female supervillain and repeatedly rape her/keep her as a sex slave?

Astner
Mephisto's act in One More Day was pretty cruel.

MF DELPH
On the Thanos side, didn't he nuke his home planet and dissect his mother alive or something like that?

Inhuman
Galactus. He's killed billions of life forms.
(Billions could be low balling erm )

Igniz
Originally posted by MF DELPH
On the Thanos side, didn't he nuke his home planet and dissect his mother alive or something like that?

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/dragonofmoondef.htm

According to this, Thanos was once a pupil of the Dragon Of the Moon.The Dragon Of The Moon could be resposible for making Thanos do that.

Galan007
Don't know where he stands next to the others, but Ultimate Red Skull was a sick mofo:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/12388385/r1.jpg.html
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/12388386/r2.jpg.html

Lobo might also be a consideration. He killed everyone on his world, and tens of thousands of others across the universe. However, I wouldn't consider him 'evil'.

whacknasty
Originally posted by Inhuman

Well I consider that just the results of him feeding to sustain himself. I wouldn't call a lion evil for eating millions of zebras and causing the deaths of billions of fleas in the process...lol.

Igniz
Originally posted by Inhuman

Originally posted by whacknasty
Well I consider that just the results of him feeding to sustain himself. I wouldn't call a lion evil for eating millions of zebras and causing the deaths of billions of fleas in the process...lol.

thumb up

The fact Big G is more of a force of nature.And him feeding on planets is what keeps Abraxas a way.

Silent Master
Most of Thanos' acts were done to impress a girl(Death), that doesn't make him evil, it makes him a loser.

MF DELPH
To clarify "Most Evil" doesn't mean quantity of evil acts (or body count), but the magnitude of the evil acts (how completely f*cked up the act is on so many levels). For example, Cyborg Superman nuking Coast City was evil, but Doctor Doom willingly skinning and sacrificing the soul of the love of his life to demons so he could have magic power in order to humiliate Reed Richards, and then being so arrogant that he gets unwittingly duped into disavowing said demons and losing the upperhand because he refused to admit that anyone or anything else was responsible or necessary for him to defeat Reed, making that initial sacrifice basically worthless, and having no second thoughts about it at all, is evil as f*ck.

whacknasty
To clarify "Most Evil" doesn't mean quantity of evil acts (or body count), but the magnitude of the evil acts (how completely f*cked up the act is on so many levels). For example, Cyborg Superman nuking Coast City was evil, but Doctor Doom willingly skinning and sacrificing the soul of the love of his life to demons so he could have magic power in order to humiliate Reed Richards, and then being so arrogant that he gets unwittingly duped into disavowing said demons and losing the upperhand because he refused to admit that anyone or anything else was responsible or necessary for him to defeat Reed, making that initial sacrifice basically worthless, and having no second thoughts about it at all, is evil as f*ck.

Wow. Now that is pretty horrible

ozz81
Dr Doom, THOTU,loki

whacknasty
Does the Marquis of Death have any really evil accomplishments? His name would indicate he does, I just am not that familiar with the character...lol

-K-M-
Kid Marvelman...just a bad bad man

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Miracleman_Issue_15.jpg

Badabing
Not a typical "versus", but it is a competition. Title pretty much says it all.

What character has performed the most evil acts in comics? Not necessarily the most acts of murder/genocide, but just 'wrong' in every conceivable way?

Post scans (where possible).

Looking for a Top 10 Most Evil Characters (and their top 10 most evil acts).

Personally, I think Joker may be at the top of the list that I can think of, particularly if you're of the school of thought he isn't insane and simply lives life without any inhibitions whatsoever, so he doesn't have a second thought about anything he does.

I'd say:

1)Joker
2)Darkseid
3)Dr. Doom
4)Loki
5)Thanos

And can't decide on 6-10 off the top of my head.

Discuss. Zod and Thanos.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/kmcprofile/thanoszod.jpg

biscuits

Harbinger
laughing out loud

biensalsa
Toyman? He might even be a pedophile

Galan007
Does the Marquis of Death have any really evil accomplishments? His name would indicate he does, I just am not that familiar with the character...lol Oh yeah. He's killed billions of heroes/earths across the multiverse... And he also liked to torture every one of his his victims personally.

Good choice, actually.

Endless Mike
Kid MiracleMan

DarkSaint85
Don't forget Lobo - killing every member of his race just for kicks in a pretty disgusting way ranks up there.

Bouboumaster
Thanos isn't as evil as some others, but he's sporting the most evil act by far: when he killed half of the universe to impress Death.

Doom has some success under the belt too, but again, he's evil, but he's not a total sickjob like some others.

IMO, not in order, the top 5 are The Joker, Darkseid, Ultron, The Magus/Goddess, Mephisto
And a special mention to The Homelander, from The Boys

dmills
Didn't The Plutonian capture a female supervillain and repeatedly rape her/keep her as a sex slave?

He was just a sick sob all around. He wasn't some antihero type that you admire or some villian with sort of admirable integrity about them ala Thanos, Doom or Darksied. He was truly as the title suggests, irredeemable.

Much like Kid Miracle Man. Good shyt KM thumb up

Odekahn
Dr. Light

Mindset
Didn't The Plutonian capture a female supervillain and repeatedly rape her/keep her as a sex slave? Problem?

jalek moye
Originally posted by Digi
Interesting that a lot seem to be concerned with method or intent. If we were doing this via utilitarian philosophy, we'd just do a body count. For example, despite his epic body count, Joker's total pales in comparison to, say, Thanos. That he does it for more intellectual reasons does not justify it more, imo.

So Joker might be more evil, but his acts are not the most evil.
To me intent does matter a lot actually, while an act can be evil regardless I feel the reasons beyond it have a large affect on how evil I see it.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Digi
Interesting that a lot seem to be concerned with method or intent. If we were doing this via utilitarian philosophy, we'd just do a body count. For example, despite his epic body count, Joker's total pales in comparison to, say, Thanos.
Did you read Emperor Joker? He destroyed the Universe at least once in that arc, and ate the entire population of China every day for God knows how many days.

Mindset
Thanos has still killed more people.

NemeBro
Surprised Vandal Savage gets not even an honorable mention.

"Id"
The Plutonian or Kid Marvelman

Uriel005
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Joker's a good candidate just because of his very personal method of committing such evil acts. Plenty of people have higher body counts or operated on grander scale, but not many people go so far out of their way to commit evil just for the lulz. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Joker's not actually crazy - well, he's obviously crazy - to the point where he can't make informed decisions over right and wrong. He knows what he does is horrible and revels in it. Worse, he tries to get others to embrace that aspect. All that crap about him not being responsible for his own actions is just that: crap.

People like Thanos and Darkseid are certainly evil in their own ways, too (Darkseid being more so, imo) and have gladly committed cosmic level atrocities, but for the two of them, they're usually means to an ends. Darkseid wants to eradicate free will and imagination and gain absolute control over all life, which to me, is more heinous than simply wanting to eradicate most of the universe (which is still phucked up).

I'd like to throw out Bullseye as a contender toward the bottom of the list, though. Red Skull, too. emperor joker actually makes his body count much higher even though it didn't count for anything in the end.. well not really.

the ninjak
Cassidy--What he did to Tulip and Jesse was just cooooold!

And since when is killin peeps considered the epitome of an evil act?

MF DELPH
We need to list some of the evil things these people have done that earns them a top 10 spot.

In the case of the Joker off the top of my head I can think if The Killing Joke where he shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon, takes pics of him undressing her critically injured body, then kidnaps and tortures Commissioner Gordon while showing him the pics of his daughter just to prove a good man can go crazy with one bad day like he did. F*cked up. There's also the time he mutated those fish with Joker Venom/permanent smiles and tried to patent them and then killed all the employees at the patent office simply because they told him he couldn't legally patent a natural resource. Plus the whole Jason Todd/Death in the Family arc as well as the afformentioned Emperor Joker where he ate the entire populace of China repeatedly, as well as tortured, killed, and resurrected Batman so many timed that he broke Bruce's mind and Superman had to erase the memories or Batman would have been left catatonic.

Flyattractor
Lobo might also be a consideration. He killed everyone on his world, and tens of thousands of others across the universe. However, I wouldn't consider him 'evil'. LOBO has commited the crimes of theft assult murder genocide on both the planetary and universal scale.
He has desecrated holy sites and objects. HE has knowingly killed children.
HE has tortured and maimed.
The only real crimes HE hasn't commited is rape in its varying degrees,although HE has killed women on many several occasions.

So if you count that as the most "EVIL" of crimes I would say The Main Man don't make the list.

LOBO lacks the ambition to be a true Super Villian.

Mshinu
Deadpool obviously.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/4/4/10/life-lessons-from-captain-america-and-deadpool-2666-1270392362-14.jpg

MF DELPH
Lobo's immoral and 'crazy', but not evil.

PillarofOsiris
Darkseid is probably the most evil, IMO. Maybe Nekron could be close as well. Thanos is up there....

ctsketch
Originally posted by Galan007
Don't know where he stands next to the others, but Ultimate Red Skull was a sick mofo:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/12388385/r1.jpg.html
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/12388386/r2.jpg.html

Lobo might also be a consideration. He killed everyone on his world, and tens of thousands of others across the universe. However, I wouldn't consider him 'evil'.

You don't get much more evil than that...

HueyFreeman
What always stuck in my mind was moonstone. Her mother worked herself to the bone with 2-3 jobs to help send her to a good school and give her a good life only for the girl to get the moonstone and become a criminal. Than she murdered her mother(even though her mother stood by her when she became a criminal) so she could do whatever she wanted and not feel like shes owed anyone

Sin I AM
Reed Richards....contains all the knowledge to fix any issue known to man, but would rather play scientist and be an explorer

whacknasty
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Reed Richards....contains all the knowledge to fix any issue known to man, but would rather play scientist and be an explorer

LOL! That is a valid point... He may have just trumped Doom in another field big grin

tross
Carnage, when he went on a killing spree during Maximum Carnage

Sin I AM
LOL! That is a valid point... He may have just trumped Doom in another field big grin

Yeah I think the most evil acts are those acts not acted upon. Like in saving private ryan when the journalist guy punked out and didn't prevent his friend from getting stabbed in the neck....

Flyattractor
Lobo's immoral and 'crazy', but not evil. No. Deadpool is immoral and crazy.
LOBO is a Chaotic Evil....well and kind of crazy..

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Mshinu
Deadpool obviously.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/4/4/10/life-lessons-from-captain-america-and-deadpool-2666-1270392362-14.jpg
And this isn't EVIL.....thats called being a DOUCHEBAG!!

Horrificus
Didn't The Plutonian capture a female supervillain and repeatedly rape her/keep her as a sex slave? He did a bunch of really messed up stuff. Including, physically pushing a nation under the sea, forcing others to chose who he will slaughter, indiscriminately vaporizing millions of people with his vision, unleashing insane alien gods (from his prison) onto the earth...

biensalsa
Pak, Bendis and Loeb big grin

tkitna
Sabretooth should probably get a mention. He kills for the fun of it at times. He sliced up Harmony Young for nothing more than giggles and to piss Cage off. Silver Fox got the same treatment as did a bunch of others.

JakeTheBank
Sabes is a good choice.

TheGodKiller
Does the Marquis of Death have any really evil accomplishments? His name would indicate he does, I just am not that familiar with the character...lol

Check out his respect thread . And he should indeed take this thread , considering how he taught Doom everything that the guy knows today .

Bentley
Except beating the FF properly, which was the only thing Doom needed to learn to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm going to mention Marcus, Kang's son, who mind-raped Ms. Marvel into loving him, then bred her with himself and was born from Carol's womb and then took her to limbo so they could continue loving each other in that mind-controlling incestual rapey way.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Bentley
Except beating the FF properly, which was the only thing Doom needed to learn to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm going to mention Marcus, Kang's son, who mind-raped Ms. Marvel into loving him, then bred her with himself and was born from Carol's womb and then took her to limbo so they could continue loving each other in that mind-controlling incestual rapey way.

If that's the case , then I have no other choice but to bring in Dr Light in this thread .

Bentley
Did he rape his mom and mind-controlled her before she was born? Because Marcus is awesome in that jerk department -he also pulls this off without having anyone opposing him nearly at all-.

Endless Mike
Ultron and Magus are also contenders

Hyperion Prime
Sabertooth is pretty damn evil.

Darth Jello
In terms of street-level baddies in Marvel, I think the worst of the worst are Bullseye, Crossbones, and the Purple Man. We're talking hundreds if not thousands of counts of theft, terrorism, rape and murder.

psycho gundam
Namor killed a baby

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Darth Jello
In terms of street-level baddies in Marvel, I think the worst of the worst are Bullseye, Crossbones, and the Purple Man. We're talking hundreds if not thousands of counts of theft, terrorism, rape and murder. Lol i forgot about Purple Mans rapist shtick

quanchi112
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Namor killed a baby In all fairness the baby probably had it coming.

MF DELPH
So who's our top 10? And what's their worst acts?

Darth Jello
Hmmm... Does Dark Phoenix still hold the record for highest murder count in a single act of malice?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Thanos killing the entire population of his home planet of Titan and killing his mother has to be right up there... that alone with wiping out half the universe gives him top ten and prob top 5 for sure.. Top spot.. probably not, as he's not really EVIL per se... he just doesn't give a **** abotu anybody but death and himself...

Black bolt z
Isn't Doctor Light a rapist?

That might constitute "'wrong' in every conceivable way"

psycho gundam
Oh yeah the Thanos thing: what happened was that he wanted to know why he was born a devient so after years of hating his mother he decided to abduct her and operate on her womb to see what matter of uturus could make him like that, and for revenge. His father then stumbles upon her dissected corpse and soon after Thanos began his bombing campeign on titan.

Mindset
Thanos is pretty stupid, huh?

Nihilist
Thanos is pretty stupid, huh? And Doom isnt?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Thanos is pretty stupid, huh?

yet is smarter than Doom.. that says a lot about Doom eh?

Black bolt z
May that debate never end?

Mindset
Originally posted by Nihilist
And Doom isnt? Nope.

Darth Jello
If we're going by most horrific acts depicted on panel, the short list would probably be Kid Miracleman, Ozymandias, Human Flame, and Joker.

Nihilist
Nope. Come back to me when Thanos has prep and blueprints to build his own Detsroyer armor and still cant beat Thor with it.

psycho gundam
^ low showing

read: Secret wars

leonidas
when lucifer destroyed the manions of silence a billion billion souls were forever destroyed. to quote the angels--it was a monstrous act.

Nihilist
^ low showing

read: Secret wars You mean when guys were jobbing hard

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by tkitna
Sabretooth should probably get a mention. He kills for the fun of it at times. He sliced up Harmony Young for nothing more than giggles and to piss Cage off. Silver Fox got the same treatment as did a bunch of others. Sabes gets a pass for fighting the evil of Wolverine though.

Brockalizer
I'm going for a tie with either Superman or Batman. How many millions if not billions of lives would be saved if they had the backbone to do what is necessary, rather than allowing their enemies to live long enough to once again threaten the city/planet/universe?

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Brockalizer
I'm going for a tie with either Superman or Batman. How many millions if not billions of lives would be saved if they had the backbone to do what is necessary, rather than allowing their enemies to live long enough to once again threaten the city/planet/universe? That isn't on them though.

That doesn't make them evil, it makes them true to themselves to the point of being detrimental to others. You could call it stupid, but evil? No.

Brockalizer
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
That isn't on them though.

That doesn't make them evil, it makes them true to themselves to the point of being detrimental to others. You could call it stupid, but evil? No. What makes it evil rather than stupid in my mind is the rationale behind it. They willingly jeopardize countless lives because they routinely decide that their "principals" are more important than protecting innocent lives.

Sr J-Bieb
What makes it evil rather than stupid in my mind is the rationale behind it. They willingly jeopardize countless lives because they routinely decide that their "principals" are more important than protecting innocent lives. But they do protect innocent lives...

Their principals make them fight the same battle for innocent lives with different stakes behind them many times.
They "put people at risk" and then save the day. Rinse and repeat

Brockalizer
But they do protect innocent lives...

Their principals make them fight the same battle for innocent lives with different stakes behind them many times.
They "put people at risk" and then save the day. Rinse and repeat So let me ask you this. If I know without a doubt that my neighbor beats his wife or molests his children and will continue to do so as long as he lives, I have the power to stop him but instead of doing something about it I wait for it to happen again so that I can swoop in and save the day. Is that evil?

jalek moye
So let me ask you this. If I know without a doubt that my neighbor beats his wife or molests his children and will continue to do so as long as he lives, I have the power to stop him but instead of doing something about it I wait for it to happen again so that I can swoop in and save the day. Is that evil? A more accurate comparison is you sending him to Prison, him getting out and then you getting the police a second time instead of killing him.

They aren't standing around and actually letting their villains murder people like your implying

psycho gundam
Bran's post was pretty clear

Sr J-Bieb
So let me ask you this. If I know without a doubt that my neighbor beats his wife or molests his children and will continue to do so as long as he lives, I have the power to stop him but instead of doing something about it I wait for it to happen again so that I can swoop in and save the day. Is that evil? Do you also put him in jail every time you can?

And no, that's not evil. You're not the one plowing kids and beating his wife (probably deserved). You're just beating the shit out of him and him being dogshit retarded.

You're basically saying that if you don't kill someone who's evil (but do everything in your power to stop them) that you're even more evil than the person who you're fighting. No.

To put a hero in your scenario...
Superman would swoop in as soon as he hit the girl, punch his dick off. Throw him in jail, then when he gets out of jail, capture him again, etc. He might get away to try it again, but he wouldn't get far.

Brockalizer
AOriginally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Do you also put him in jail every time you can?

And no, that's not evil. You're not the one plowing kids and beating his wife (probably deserved). You're just beating the shit out of him and him being dogshit retarded.

You're basically saying that if you don't kill someone who's evil (but do everything in your power to stop them) that you're even more evil than the person who you're fighting. No.

To put a hero in your scenario...
Superman would swoop in as soon as he hit the girl, punch his dick off. Throw him in jail, then when he gets out of jail, capture him again, etc. He might get away to try it again, but he wouldn't get far. There are some bad guys that prison really wont work on. The justice system in the comics is just as inadequate as it is in the real world. Simply throwing Joker in jail doesn't eliminate the threat he poses. If they aren't evil then at least criminally insane. After all isn't the definition of insanity doing something repeatedly and expecting a different result?

DarkSaint85
Oh, has Carnage been mentioned yet?

Mindset
SBP, for not killing Yat.

HueyFreeman
SBP, for not killing Yat. Lol. What the hell happened to Yat? Chosen green lantern my ass

Bouboumaster
Superman, for the work of his life, in the Silver Age era

http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/superman-says-you-can-slap-a-jap.jpg

Black bolt z
Once again, doesn't Dr. Light RAPE people? That might put him up there.

Sr J-Bieb
A There are some bad guys that prison really wont work on. The justice system in the comics is just as inadequate as it is in the real world. Simply throwing Joker in jail doesn't eliminate the threat he poses. If they aren't evil then at least criminally insane. After all isn't the definition of insanity doing something repeatedly and expecting a different result? Oh, I'm in no way saying something will or won't work. I'm just saying that Superman (or insert hero here) does everything in his power to stop criminals outside of killing them. It's different than you showing up out of nowhere to beat the shit out of a pedophile/wife beater and not calling in authorities.

Personally, I love death. Death is awesome, and works like a charm (also hilarious at times). But it doesn't work in comics. And because a hero doesn't accomplish death, it doesn't make them evil. You can't paint the guy who won't kill a pedophile as worse than a pedophile. You just can't. Same goes for all crimes of that nature.

In fact, that's a fine line to walk if you're a hero who believes in good morals. As soon as you start walking the "murder" barrier you could quickly fall to the dark side in the eyes of others, or just turn into a villian youself. But that's neither here nor there.

Originally posted by Black bolt z
Once again, doesn't Dr. Light RAPE people? That might put him up there. Lot's of characters rape people. Hell, Mr Hyde raped Invisible Man to death. Rape is the new high 5.

Brockalizer
Oh, I'm in no way saying something will or won't work. I'm just saying that Superman (or insert hero here) does everything in his power to stop criminals outside of killing them. It's different than you showing up out of nowhere to beat the shit out of a pedophile/wife beater and not calling in authorities. What makes Superman or any other hero different is that unlike the average Joe, superheroes are more intimately familiar with the inadequacies and rampant corruption of the justice system. That is what leads many of them to become heroes in the first place. Batman and Daredevil are excellent examples. At the least it seems insane to assume that the same inadequate justice system that lead to your superhero career in the first place is going magically become more efficient and less corrupt because the criminals have been apprehended by a superhero rather than an actual police officer.

Personally, I love death. Death is awesome, and works like a charm (also hilarious at times). But it doesn't work in comics. And because a hero doesn't accomplish death, it doesn't make them evil. You can't paint the guy who won't kill a pedophile as worse than a pedophile. You just can't. Same goes for all crimes of that nature.
But it can and does work, especially if done with a semi-competent writer. Both Marvel and DC are teaming with immensely entertaining "Anti-Heroes" like, Deadpool, Black Adam, Punisher, Atrocitous (Brightest Day version), even Thanos at times. Death, like any tool is only as effective as the person using it.

In fact, that's a fine line to walk if you're a hero who believes in good morals. As soon as you start walking the "murder" barrier you could quickly fall to the dark side in the eyes of others, or just turn into a villian youself. But that's neither here nor there. IMO being able to put aside personal biases and doing what is necessary for the greater good is the true mark of a hero. A hero should care more about doing his or her job than public opinion. Take Rorschach, Punisher, and to an extent the X-Men for example. They are willing to do what is neccessary for the greater good, regardless of how the public feels about them.

Sr J-Bieb
What makes Superman or any other hero different is that unlike the average Joe, superheroes are more intimately familiar with the inadequacies and rampant corruption of the justice system. That is what leads many of them to become heroes in the first place. Batman and Daredevil are excellent examples. At the least it seems insane to assume that the same inadequate justice system that lead to your superhero career in the first place is going magically become more efficient and less corrupt because the criminals have been apprehended by a superhero rather than an actual police officer. And they've also seen good come out of it, or the ability to hold a prisoner long time. Then they also have specialized prisons and whatnot for whatever occasion.

They aren't allowing villians to run rampant. They are again, doing everything in their power minus the ability to kill to put the villian under control.

Which is different than your scenario where you're just beating up a child molestor.

But it can and does work, especially if done with a semi-competent writer. Both Marvel and DC are teaming with immensely entertaining "Anti-Heroes" like, Deadpool, Black Adam, Punisher, Atrocitous (Brightest Day version), even Thanos at times. Death, like any tool is only as effective as the person using it. No it doesn't.

Example: Dr Doom has been dead for decades. Lex has been dead for decades. Joker, Black Adam, Magneto, Loki, and other other villian you can think of has now been dead for a long time because the hero didn't pussy out and killed them. Hell, Hulk gets killed for his part in forming the Avengers. Darkseid gets killed the first time he screws with Earth and everybody gets wiped out by Anti Monitor because of it. No DC.

What fun comics those would be, wouldn't they?

Death works every now and then for big names, and for minor to no name villians. It doesn't work for how a hero should apply it, and for that reason, comics don't suck complete dick ass.

IMO being able to put aside personal biases and doing what is necessary for the greater good is the true mark of a hero. A hero should care more about doing his or her job than public opinion. Take Rorschach, Punisher, and to an extent the X-Men for example. They are willing to do what is neccessary for the greater good, regardless of how the public feels about them. Yes, and for most people that wouldn't work. If Superman started punching basketballs in every villian, I could easily see him corrupted. You don't go from "pure" to destroying villians without some adverse side effects.

Rorschach, Punisher, and Wolverine do it because they've had ****ed up pasts that pushed them over the edge and they stayed there. Batman I could see being this, but Batman the way he is now, and all the morals and experiences he's gained along the lines? He'd probably turn into a monster, what with all the ways he knows how to beat everyone.

Upbringing, experiences, and the like all go into this. But not everyone can just be an anti hero without adverse side effects. And that defeats the "hero" term anyway.

Again, not killing a murderer doesn't make you worse than a murderer EVEN IF you stand by and do nothing. Especially when the heros "leap" into action and bam, plow, and bang the villians into the nearest holding cell.

Brockalizer
And they've also seen good come out of it, or the ability to hold a prisoner long time. Then they also have specialized prisons and whatnot for whatever occasion. And those "specialized" prisons still fail. Arkam is about as hard to escape as a wet paper bag.

Example: Dr Doom has been dead for decades. Lex has been dead for decades. Joker, Black Adam, Magneto, Loki, and other other villian you can think of has now been dead for a long time because the hero didn't pussy out and killed them. Hell, Hulk gets killed for his part in forming the Avengers. Darkseid gets killed the first time he screws with Earth and everybody gets wiped out by Anti Monitor because of it. No DC. And while they were dead they ceased to be a threat, until they are brought back at a later date, usually by a different writer.

Yes, and for most people that wouldn't work. If Superman started punching basketballs in every villian, I could easily see him corrupted. You don't go from "pure" to destroying villians without some adverse side effects. Super heroes aren't most people. There is a difference between "punchin basketballs" in everyone and "sanctioning" the most extreme cases. Not all villains are equal. Incarceration won't remove the threat posed by Joker, Carnage, or Lex Luthor and the heroes that defeat them know it.

-Pr-
And those "specialized" prisons still fail. Arkam is about as hard to escape as a wet paper bag.

And while they were dead they ceased to be a threat, until they are brought back at a later date, usually by a different writer.

Super heroes aren't most people. There is a difference between "punchin basketballs" in everyone and "sanctioning" the most extreme cases. Not all villains are equal. Incarceration won't remove the threat posed by Joker, Carnage, or Lex Luthor and the heroes that defeat them know it.

If Superman killed Luthor tomorrow he'd be seen as a tyrant, and the world would hate him.

It doesn't make you a pussy to show restraint.

Sr J-Bieb
And those "specialized" prisons still fail. Arkam is about as hard to escape as a wet paper bag.

And while they were dead they ceased to be a threat, until they are brought back at a later date, usually by a different writer.

Super heroes aren't most people. There is a difference between "punchin basketballs" in everyone and "sanctioning" the most extreme cases. Not all villains are equal. Incarceration won't remove the threat posed by Joker, Carnage, or Lex Luthor and the heroes that defeat them know it. It actually holds people in for quite a while. Usually something big happens to force a breakout.

I'm not saying they would be a threat. I'm saying comics would suck ass if super heros just started killing everyone. Plus, it'd be terrible at this point in time if every super villian just died. The sales would just drop everywhere.

Plus as I said, killing Darkseid would have caused the entirety of DC to be destroyed... so there's that.

And most villians deserve to die. Most villians Superman fights, and especially most villians Batman fights. If they just started killing them after all they've stood for... I could easily see them becoming monsters.

Any of this still doesn't make the hero worse than the villian as again the villian is doing it. The hero isn't giving them a pass to accomplish nefarious deeds, they're only letting them live and stopping whatever plot they cooked up at the time.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by -Pr-
If Superman killed Luthor tomorrow he'd be seen as a tyrant, and the world would hate him.

It doesn't make you a pussy to show restraint. That too. Lex is loved as shit.

Plus, the whole world hated WW for killing a loser like Max Lord. Imagine Superman killing someone, not just someone but Sex Luthor?

That wouldn't go well.

-Pr-
That too. Lex is loved as shit.

Plus, the whole world hated WW for killing a loser like Max Lord. Imagine Superman killing someone, not just someone but Sex Luthor?

That wouldn't go well.

Exactly.

Uriel005
This guyhttp://www.fourthageofcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/no-hero-6.png

http://hoodedutilitarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Image-3-No-Hero.jpg

btw this is Josh from No Hero #6. He just ripped out the spine of the only superhero who qualified as a decent human being and used it as a replacement penis.

Mindset
Some writers try too hard.

psycho gundam
Couldn't superman fly off grab his iphone and come back really fast the next time luthor re-reveales to him what a deceitful shit he really is (for the umpteenth time) and just record it and post it on Worldstar?

isn't he like....a reporter?

DarkSaint85

Hyperbole.

eaebiakuya
In the anime Fate - Zero and Fate - Stay Night, they show a guy who want save the world and innocent people.

Then he notice he cant save people without killing some. He kill 100 to save 1 million, etc. But after a long time, he noticed how many people he killed and he give up.

BUT, he dont had Superman powers. IMO if the Supers killed some supervillans, they could saved millions of people.

I cant understand why Batman dont kill the Joker. I know, Joker is a popular characther, but for the plot thats make no sense.

-Pr-
Couldn't superman fly off grab his iphone and come back really fast the next time luthor re-reveales to him what a deceitful shit he really is (for the umpteenth time) and just record it and post it on Worldstar?

Superman wants to win fairly, though.

And besides, that kind of shit is Lois' job.

Plus, isn't that illegal?

Scythe
Prolly been mentioned, if not, what the fu-?!

The Governer, aw yeah.

AlmightyKfish
Dr Destiny in one of the first few Sandman issues was pretty monstrous, over 24 hours he was driving the entire planet insane for pretty good reason, and tortured the people inside the diner he was in, including giving them an hour of sanity just so they'd understand what he was making them do to each other/themselves.

Joker is always a good shout for this kinda thing too.

Brockalizer
Superman wants to win fairly, though.

And besides, that kind of shit is Lois' job.

Plus, isn't that illegal? No more illegal than taking the law into your own hands and instituting vigilante justice.

Brockalizer
Does something done by a comic character in a movie count? If so Lois lying to Richard White and manipulating him into raising a child she knows isn't his is pretty ****ed up.

Zack Fair
Does something done by a comic character in a movie count? If so Lois lying to Richard White and manipulating him into raising a child she knows isn't his is pretty ****ed up.

Burn the *****

-Pr-
No more illegal than taking the law into your own hands and instituting vigilante justice.

Which is also illegal, and something Superman would never do. He relies on the public trusting him.

Bouboumaster
What Bandis and Fraction are doint to the Avengers is pretty evil.

Brockalizer
Which is also illegal, and something Superman would never do. He relies on the public trusting him. Seriously? He does it all the time. All heroes do. Superhero justice is a textbook example of vigilantism, unless that hero happens to be a law enforcement officer or federally licensed government agent. In the real world the Guardian Angels have the support of the public but they are still legally vigilantes.

-Pr-
Seriously? He does it all the time. All heroes do. Superhero justice is a textbook example of vigilantism, unless that hero happens to be a law enforcement officer or federally licensed government agent. In the real world the Guardian Angels have the support of the public but they are still legally vigilantes.

Superman has permission from the Metropolis Police Department to do what he does. They even train with him.

NemeBro
Vandal ****ing Savage.

He practically invented evil as a human concept in DC. He was the first murderer, and invented cannibalism. Didn't he also attempt to orchestrate the rape of his daughter as well?

Brockalizer
Superman has permission from the Metropolis Police Department to do what he does. They even train with him. Metropolis PD doesn't write the legal code and therefore lacks the authority to do so. So legally their consent is meaningless. They can deputize him, but unless he marandizes those he picks up, and follows full legal procedure, he is acting as a vigillante.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by NemeBro
Vandal ****ing Savage.

He practically invented evil as a human concept in DC. He was the first murderer, and invented cannibalism. Didn't he also attempt to orchestrate the rape of his daughter as well?

That's a really good choice, actually.

And yeah, he tried to get Scandal to sire an heir, iirc.

juggerman
he doesn't soley operate in Metropolis tho does he?

JakeTheBank
No.

He operates across the globe and beyond.

celeyhyga17
Darkseid is a bastich...
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/twinzeeto/Miscelaneous/th_Countdown-40-p13.jpg http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/twinzeeto/Miscelaneous/th_Countdown-40-p14.jpg

Flyattractor
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Darkseid is a bastich...
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/twinzeeto/Miscelaneous/th_Countdown-40-p13.jpg http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/twinzeeto/Miscelaneous/th_Countdown-40-p14.jpg Oh like any guy hasn't wanted to do that to thier concubines.

the Darkone
The Joker beating and kiling Jason Todd

The Joker Killing Gordan son

The Joker killing Gordan Wife

Darksied disintegration his son Kalibak

Shiar Empire killing the Grey family

Dr Doom sacfirceing his old girlfriend and used her flesh as a armor

Major Force killing Kylie Raynar girlfriend and throwing her body in the refrigerator

Glen being beaten to Death by Negan

Flyattractor
Originally posted by the Darkone

Dr Doom sacfirceing his old girlfriend and used her flesh as a armor

.....Da FUH?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.