u

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bouboumaster
What's for you the worst pieces of works ever written in a comic book world?
What events, arcs or stories make you do nightmares, when you sleep?

We are talking here about the absolute crass.

For exemple, I think that Brand New Day, One More Day and One Moment In Time are a slap in the face, and probably THE most outrageous thing to ever happens in the long comic book history. IMO, it was like Quesada shat on about 30 years of comics.

Other piece of crap worth a mention: The Clone Saga and Chaos War.

What do you think?

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
What's for you the worst pieces of works ever written in a comic book world?
What events, arcs or stories make you do nightmares, when you sleep?

We are talking here about the absolute crass.

For exemple, I think that Brand New Day, One More Day and One Moment In Time are a slap in the face, and probably THE most outrageous thing to ever happens in the long comic book history. IMO, it was like Quesada shat on about 30 years of comics.

Other piece of crap worth a mention: The Clone Saga and Chaos War.

What do you think? I actually just got back into spiderman (quit because of omd and came back because of the praise I hear for slott). So I am supposed to believe that Peter and MJ remember everything that happened pre OMD and they still decided it was best to separate? Thats the stupidest shit I have ever read. Just ridiculous. Also I gotta say AVX is making me miss chaos war and I didnt think that would be possible.

Dont forget Sins Past, The x-men forgiving magneto and allowing him to stay on utopia, schism, and shadowland.

JakeTheBank
Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man is pretty great, actually.

Damborgson
I was fairly disgusted in just about every way by Galactus Seed.

Digi
I find it odd that people still hate on OMD, bad as it was. DC just did that to their entire company. And pointing to good stories in the DCnU isn't a pass either, because Spider-Man's been pretty awesome once they got past the BND arc.

Just weird how we can overlook some things but not others, largely just due to how it's marketed.

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I actually just got back into spiderman (quit because of omd and came back because of the praise I hear for slott). So I am supposed to believe that Peter and MJ remember everything that happened pre OMD and they still decided it was best to separate? Thats the stupidest shit I have ever read. Just ridiculous.

Not quite.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
I find it odd that people still hate on OMD, bad as it was. DC just did that to their entire company. And pointing to good stories in the DCnU isn't a pass either, because Spider-Man's been pretty awesome once they got past the BND arc.

Just weird how we can overlook some things but not others, largely just due to how it's marketed.

Not quite.

It was only the same thing in the vaguest of terms. With Spidey, they didn't just "reboot" him, they completely altered his life in the present too, and broke up his marriage, something that for a lot of people wasn't acceptable, even with how good Slott is as a writer.

DC's reboot was a continuity one, not neccessarily a character one for the most part. Batman is still in his strange relationship with Selina Kyle (it's actually more promiment in the new 52). Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris are working things out. Aquaman and Mera are still together a la Brightest Day. DC used it's reboot to change histories, not neccessarily it's character's situations, which was what they did with OMD.

The only "big" DC character that suffered the same kind of issue was Superman, but most people don't care because most people don't care about Lois Lane.

biensalsa
Final Night is a complete crap

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man is pretty great, actually. I've been enjoying it. The only thing thats annoying is the teasing of MJ and Peter together when we know thats not happening.

Bentley
@Pr: Alan also likes dudes now and is young.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
@Pr: Alan also likes dudes now and is young.

Yes, there are exceptions. Of course there are. I just disagree with it being their "whole universe" when it's a small minority of characters.

Endless Mike
Cry for Justice was awful

Digi
Originally posted by -Pr-
Yes, there are exceptions. Of course there are. I just disagree with it being their "whole universe" when it's a small minority of characters.

I think we disagree on what constitutes a minority. For example, the entire JSA is different by all counts. Numerous other heroes are, and everyone had something changed about them. I also consider the Wildstorm cannibalization to be part of their sweeping changes.

Also, you seem to highlight relationships in your earlier post, but that's simply honing in on one aspect of the character. Staying with the same person romantically doesn't constitute no changes. And we know everyone underwent either significant change in some way, or they're simply not connected to their past appearances.

I mean, it's a "reboot" by very definition. Wholesale change and continuity resetting is literally what it is. Whereas, exactly one thing changed for Pete. And it's something they've put in the rear-view, so that it's not permeating every issue.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Cry for Justice was awful

Totally agree.

-Pr-
I think we disagree on what constitutes a minority. For example, the entire JSA is different by all counts. Numerous other heroes are, and everyone had something changed about them. I also consider the Wildstorm cannibalization to be part of their sweeping changes.

Also, you seem to highlight relationships in your earlier post, but that's simply honing in on one aspect of the character. Staying with the same person romantically doesn't constitute no changes. And we know everyone underwent either significant change in some way, or they're simply not connected to their past appearances.

I mean, it's a "reboot" by very definition. Wholesale change and continuity resetting is literally what it is. Whereas, exactly one thing changed for Pete. And it's something they've put in the rear-view, so that it's not permeating every issue.

Changing one small detail about a character through a retcon really isn't the same thing as OMD, tbh. We're talking about a substantial life change for Spidey, not altering one event in his past that won't count when the next arc rolls around.

But that's where you're wrong; several characters are almost identical to what they were beforehand; any changes are superficial at best, like Batman or the Lanterns, whose pre-Flashpoint stuff has remained largely if not completely intact.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but I very much disagree that it's the same thing. It's not a fundamental change to every character like you're saying it is, the way it was for Spider-Man, imo.

Bouboumaster
Ok ok, I got two others here:

Onslaught, and probably one of the worst thing ever written: Ultimatum

abhilegend
Rise of arsenal.

Damborgson
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Ok ok, I got two others here:

Onslaught, and probably one of the worst thing ever written: Ultimatum

I didn't get through all of Ultimatum. That was the definition of bad writing. It brought the Ultimate Universe to it's knees. But of course Loeb is still strong in Marvel.

Bouboumaster

Digi
Changing one small detail about a character through a retcon really isn't the same thing as OMD, tbh. We're talking about a substantial life change for Spidey, not altering one event in his past that won't count when the next arc rolls around.

But that's where you're wrong; several characters are almost identical to what they were beforehand; any changes are superficial at best, like Batman or the Lanterns, whose pre-Flashpoint stuff has remained largely if not completely intact.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but I very much disagree that it's the same thing. It's not a fundamental change to every character like you're saying it is, the way it was for Spider-Man, imo.

Heh. Ok. I can encapsulate the entirety of Spider-Man's changes in one sentence. "He's not married to Mary Jane anymore." Try doing that for any DC character. Even the ones you mentioned like Batman and the Lanterns need new backstory on, for example, how the Robin "system" works, or what, if anything remains continuity from Pre-Flashpoint. What story arcs from the past are invalidated. Who they know and how they know them. Their aptitude with their power. Etc. etc. Remaining mostly the same in terms of character portrayal isn't a small change when their entire history gets rebooted or invalidated, and often changed. And by that logic, Spider-Man's not just similar to before, he still is the character from before. He just didn't have to go through the whole "new universe" thing. Just compare the scope...how can you say it's the same thing with a straight face when we could make a list of dozens of things for each character that have changed, and Spider-Man's can be summarized in a sentence?

It just seems pretty absurd to me to consider them anywhere near the same. You're right that SM won't shrug off the OMD change in subsequent story arcs, but that's an unfair point to make when the same can be said with Flashpoint for literally hundreds of characters. DC rebooted a universe and merged it with another. Spider-Man's single now.

But yeah, otherwise, they're pretty much the same.

wink

-Pr-
Heh. Ok. I can encapsulate the entirety of Spider-Man's changes in one sentence. "He's not married to Mary Jane anymore." Try doing that for any DC character. Even the ones you mentioned like Batman and the Lanterns need new backstory on, for example, how the Robin "system" works, or what, if anything remains continuity from Pre-Flashpoint. What story arcs from the past are invalidated. Who they know and how they know them. Their aptitude with their power. Etc. etc.

It just seems pretty absurd to me to consider them anywhere near the same. You're right that SM won't shrug off the OMD change in subsequent story arcs, but that's an unfair point to make when the same can be said with Flashpoint for literally hundreds of characters. DC rebooted a universe and merged it with another. Spider-Man's single now.

But yeah, otherwise, they're pretty much the same.

wink

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, tbh. Unless you've changed the subject.

Digi
I don't think we're talking about the same thing, tbh. Unless you've changed the subject.

Well, the comment that sparked our exchange was this:

Then my most recent comment was in reference to this:

...I feel like we've stayed on point, no? What am I missing?

-Pr-
Well, the comment that sparked our exchange was this:

Then my most recent comment was in reference to this:

...I feel like we've stayed on point, no? What am I missing?

I just don't see how DC doing what it did equals what Marvel did with Spidey, I guess...

The Robin system is pretty much as it was Pre-Flashpoint that I've seen, and anything written by Johns on GL and Morrison on Batman is still canon.

Aquaman is basically the same; they've just added to his history. If you picked up an Aquaman, or GL, or Batman comic pre and post Flashpoint, you're not going to feel like you missed out on anything because the characters are largely, if not exactly the same in terms of portrayal and situation.

DC might have rebooted it's universe, but the status quo has remained largely the same for a lot of characters. Spidey not so much.

In general though, I think people are more pissed off at OMD just being a really bad story than the actual changes that came about. Dan Slott is pure gold on almost any book he writes.

Digi
I just don't see how DC doing what it did equals what Marvel did with Spidey, I guess...

The Robin system is pretty much as it was Pre-Flashpoint that I've seen, and anything written by Johns on GL and Morrison on Batman is still canon.

Aquaman is basically the same; they've just added to his history. If you picked up an Aquaman, or GL, or Batman comic pre and post Flashpoint, you're not going to feel like you missed out on anything because the characters are largely, if not exactly the same in terms of portrayal and situation.

DC might have rebooted it's universe, but the status quo has remained largely the same for a lot of characters. Spidey not so much.

In general though, I think people are more pissed off at OMD just being a really bad story than the actual changes that came about. Dan Slott is pure gold on almost any book he writes.

Have you been reading Spider-Man? This seems disconnected from the reality of the situation.

The scope of DC's changes compared to Spidey's are laughably lopsided. As stated, I could name dozens of characters who have undergone more significant - and permanent - changes.

Let's take GL, which you mentioned. So, you're Hal Jordan...your age is regressed, your memories wiped out, and your status and power usage rebooted to where they were decades ago. You barely know the team you're on, one that you've had hundreds of adventures with. The universe around you has new people, new villains or reimagined villains, new team configurations, and often brand new characters. Origins are different - not in all but most cases - as well as the general world and their reaction to heroes and those with powers.

What you're saying is that he's still green, kinda cocky and brash, and wields a power ring for the Oan Corps. Therefore the changes are small.

In my mind, every single thing I just named is bigger than the Spidey change. Because Peter is still, literally, the exact same person in the exact same universe. His powers, feats, emotional history with every other character, all intact. None of that can be said for Hal. And Hal is one character in an entire universe of characters, and by your own admission is one of the least changed characters. Take any other character than the 2-3 you keep mentioning, and the gap is even further.

I'm not sure if you're more ok with it because you like the new DC direction, or if you actually believe the difference is the same. OMD was a **** story that ultimately did nothing to ruin or significantly change Peter. And, again, DC rebooted a whole damn universe, and merged it with another. The comparison between the two is like MJJ fighting the Penguin.

roughrider

I'm pretty ticked that DC has completely benched Wally West, though.

Martian_mind
Have you been reading Spider-Man? This seems disconnected from the reality of the situation.

The scope of DC's changes compared to Spidey's are laughably lopsided. As stated, I could name dozens of characters who have undergone more significant - and permanent - changes.

Let's take GL, which you mentioned. So, you're Hal Jordan...your age is regressed, your memories wiped out, and your status and power usage rebooted to where they were decades ago. You barely know the team you're on, one that you've had hundreds of adventures with. The universe around you has new people, new villains or reimagined villains, new team configurations, and often brand new characters. Origins are different - not in all but most cases - as well as the general world and their reaction to heroes and those with powers.

What you're saying is that he's still green, kinda cocky and brash, and wields a power ring for the Oan Corps. Therefore the changes are small.

In my mind, every single thing I just named is bigger than the Spidey change. Because Peter is still, literally, the exact same person in the exact same universe. His powers, feats, emotional history with every other character, all intact. None of that can be said for Hal. And Hal is one character in an entire universe of characters, and by your own admission is one of the least changed characters. Take any other character than the 2-3 you keep mentioning, and the gap is even further.

I'm not sure if you're more ok with it because you like the new DC direction, or if you actually believe the difference is the same. OMD was a **** story that ultimately did nothing to ruin or significantly change Peter. And, again, DC rebooted a whole damn universe, and merged it with another. The comparison between the two is like MJJ fighting the Penguin.

Daaaaamn, Digi just got all up in that *****.

-Pr-

I haven't been reading it lately, no. I had read some of Slott's OMD work, though.

My point was never that there were no changes; there were; just that it wasn't their "whole universe". Some characters are damn-near identical. More identical than Spider-Man was post OMD.

And no, Hal is only that way in JLA (which was the first arc set in the past). He's identical to his pre-FP self in his actual solo book.

And really? No mention of the fact that regardless, OMD was just badly executed in the first place, no matter how positive the outcome? Which honestly seems to be what people are most annoyed about in the first place?

Originally posted by roughrider
I'm pretty ticked that DC has completely benched Wally West, though.

You and me both.

Digi
I haven't been reading it lately, no. I had read some of Slott's OMD work, though.

My point was never that there were no changes; there were; just that it wasn't their "whole universe". Some characters are damn-near identical. More identical than Spider-Man was post OMD.

And no, Hal is only that way in JLA (which was the first arc set in the past). He's identical to his pre-FP self in his actual solo book.

And really? No mention of the fact that regardless, OMD was just badly executed in the first place, no matter how positive the outcome? Which honestly seems to be what people are most annoyed about in the first place?

But, like, OMD was, what, 2 years ago now? It's not even a thing anymore. Hating on Spider-Man for OMD, who is functionally identical to before, is like saying the character is ruined because you didn't like the Clone Saga. OMD was sh*t, no argument. But I don't even think about it now in ASM, and know I'm still reading the same Peter Parker who, for example, failed to save Gwen Stacy decades ago.

Whereas, in contrast, each issue, Hal wakes up in a new universe. Try telling me you can fool yourself into thinking you're reading the same Hal Jordan that you were a year ago.

Also, I don't consider a character to have undergone no or few changes if they remain the same character-wise. So many things changed, and so many histories were wiped out, that you might as well be telling me an alternate universe character is the same guy. Because that's essentially what it is. Being "like" Batman or Hal or whoever doesn't make them that, it just makes them a new version of the same character. And the point is exacerbated by every other character around them; I'm just using your "least-changed" characters as examples to make my point. But the old universe is dead and gone, rebooted to the new by DC's own words.

I'm not trying to hate on the change - it's obviously been good for business - I just can't see any justification for comparing the two in terms of scope or lasting change.

-Pr-
But, like, OMD was, what, 2 years ago now? It's not even a thing anymore. Hating on Spider-Man for OMD, who is functionally identical to before, is like saying the character is ruined because you didn't like the Clone Saga. OMD was sh*t, no argument. But I don't even think about it now in ASM, and know I'm still reading the same Peter Parker who, for example, failed to save Gwen Stacy decades ago.

Whereas, in contrast, each issue, Hal wakes up in a new universe. Try telling me you can fool yourself into thinking you're reading the same Hal Jordan that you were a year ago.

Also, I don't consider a character to have undergone no or few changes if they remain the same character-wise. So many things changed, and so many histories were wiped out, that you might as well be telling me an alternate universe character is the same guy. Because that's essentially what it is. Being "like" Batman or Hal or whoever doesn't make them that, it just makes them a new version of the same character. And the point is exacerbated by every other character around them; I'm just using your "least-changed" characters as examples to make my point. But the old universe is dead and gone, rebooted to the new by DC's own words.

I'm not trying to hate on the change - it's obviously been good for business - I just can't see any justification for comparing the two in terms of scope or lasting change.

and that's fine. The orignal point was that OMD was shit, wasn't it?

Yes, he wakes up in a new universe. A universe where everything that's happened to him under Johns is still canon. His book picked up where it left off pre flashpoint, so for all intents and purposes it's the same guy to a large extent. Even in the VS forum we take it as being that way.

So you're saying they aren't the same now?

roughrider
Has DC had trouble making up it's mind on Wonder Woman's final design? Shorts, pants, shorts, pants, shorts...

-Pr-
Has DC had trouble making up it's mind on Wonder Woman's final design? Shorts, pants, shorts, pants, shorts...

DC never makes up it's mind about Diana, tbh.

Mr Death Dealer

roughrider
We can't forget to mention Frank Miller's return to Batman the past decade, can we? DK2 was well below standard, and deep in the shadow of TDKR. Plus it crapped on it's own continuity...
But All Star Batman & Robin was an offense in the eyes of God and Man.
Miller has his head stuck in Sin City and can't get it out.

Thankfully, DC finally had enough and told him to piss off elsewhere with his 'Holy Terror, Batman!' graphic novel proposal.

Digi
Originally posted by Mr Death Dealer

Nice attempt to stir **** (not really, but I'm being nice), but Pr and I don't really fight. We respect each other too much. The fact that he's wrong in this particular instance has no bearing on our friendship.

Right pr?

fdog

-Pr-
Didn't get to read it, so no idea. My guess is no, though.

So are they the same, or aren't they?

Bouboumaster
We can't forget to mention Frank Miller's return to Batman the past decade, can we? DK2 was well below standard, and deep in the shadow of TDKR. Plus it crapped on it's own continuity...

Thankfully, DC finally had enough and told him to piss off elsewhere with his 'Holy Terror, Batman!' graphic novel proposal.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/234/GoddamnBatman.jpg

-Pr-

All Star Batman was pure gold, imo, just for how OTT it was.

HueyFreeman

I'm not trying to hate on the change - it's obviously been good for business - I just can't see any justification for comparing the two in terms of scope or lasting change. Thats actually something I have a question about. I am retroactively going through spiderman at the moment and my question is "How much of his history is alterred besides the mary jane thing"? Maybe Im wrong but I assumed the story for the whole change was that Mephisto manipulated the timeline to lead to the conclusion that we see now. In Mephistos tweaked history Harry didnt die, Norman doesnt know who Peter is, but Peter still unmasked and instead of meeting mephisto he went to Dr strange who removed the unmasking from the entire world but left Peter and MJ with their memories intact. What I dont understand is that in the new timeline peter didnt make it to his wedding with mj, so Im assuming they were not married at the time aunt may was shot(or they still got to that point for whatever reason) and Spiderman visited strange or does he still have the memories from the pre mephisto timeline? Also with Harry alive and Norman not aware of who peter is, wouldnt that strike out altercations like the marvel knights battle and the most of the clone saga in general (not that thats a bad thing). If what I wrote is true, doesnt that indeed butterfly effect a lot of his history? (very similiar to Batman in the new 52)

abhilegend
Superman:At earth's end. Just look at the design and believe me the story is even more stupid.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V54giclFt0s/Thw519n_vOI/AAAAAAAAfVI/YRL7TUJzv8E/s1600/reign266.jpg

Bentley
They should have retconned Gwen's children while they were at it, but they didn't. A sucky reboot if you ask me.

Digi
Sorry Pr, been busy, haven't forgotten about you.

Thats actually something I have a question about. I am retroactively going through spiderman at the moment and my question is "How much of his history is alterred besides the mary jane thing"? Maybe Im wrong but I assumed the story for the whole change was that Mephisto manipulated the timeline to lead to the conclusion that we see now. In Mephistos tweaked history Harry didnt die, Norman doesnt know who Peter is, but Peter still unmasked and instead of meeting mephisto he went to Dr strange who removed the unmasking from the entire world but left Peter and MJ with their memories intact. What I dont understand is that in the new timeline peter didnt make it to his wedding with mj, so Im assuming they were not married at the time aunt may was shot(or they still got to that point for whatever reason) and Spiderman visited strange or does he still have the memories from the pre mephisto timeline? Also with Harry alive and Norman not aware of who peter is, wouldnt that strike out altercations like the marvel knights battle and the most of the clone saga in general (not that thats a bad thing). If what I wrote is true, doesnt that indeed butterfly effect a lot of his history? (very similiar to Batman in the new 52)

Most of that stuff happened independent of OMD. The only things it changed were the marriage (never happened, they're still friends and MJ knows his identity) and Aunt May got better.

Anything involving the unmasking, Harry and Norman, etc. happened separately from the Mephisto nonsense.

roughrider
All Star Batman was pure gold, imo, just for how OTT it was.

The gorgeous art by Jim Lee just makes it the classic example of carving Michelangelo's David out of excrement - no matter how pretty it looks, it's still gonna smell.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman:At earth's end. Just look at the design and believe me the story is even more stupid.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V54giclFt0s/Thw519n_vOI/AAAAAAAAfVI/YRL7TUJzv8E/s1600/reign266.jpg

I AM A MAN! *PUNCH*

HueyFreeman

Most of that stuff happened independent of OMD. The only things it changed were the marriage (never happened, they're still friends and MJ knows his identity) and Aunt May got better.

Anything involving the unmasking, Harry and Norman, etc. happened separately from the Mephisto nonsense. Okay last question. If the spell strange used prevented someone from learning peters identity( Like how the symbiote no longer remembers ) how the hell was the jackal allowed to figure it out?

Digi
Okay last question. If the spell strange used prevented someone from learning peters identity( Like how the symbiote no longer remembers ) how the hell was the jackal allowed to figure it out?

Heckuva good question, but not without explanation. People can still find out again. Like, he couldn't just unmask again and expect no one to remember.

I assume it has something to do with all those Peter Parker clones Jackal has lying around in his basement since the 90's. Strange's spell just affected memory. Jackal's a smart dude, and I'm sure a few tests and notes on his iPod were enough for him to piece it together.

His recent ex Carlie found out as well, as did the FF (again) and some of the Avengers.

-Pr-

Anything involving the unmasking, Harry and Norman, etc. happened separately from the Mephisto nonsense.

I'll try to handle the wait. mmm

The gorgeous art by Jim Lee just makes it the classic example of carving Michelangelo's David out of excrement - no matter how pretty it looks, it's still gonna smell.

I enjoyed it for how ludicrous it was, tbh.

HueyFreeman
Heckuva good question, but not without explanation. People can still find out again. Like, he couldn't just unmask again and expect no one to remember.

I assume it has something to do with all those Peter Parker clones Jackal has lying around in his basement since the 90's. Strange's spell just affected memory. Jackal's a smart dude, and I'm sure a few tests and notes on his iPod were enough for him to piece it together.

His recent ex Carlie found out as well, as did the FF (again) and some of the Avengers. That is true. Strange said something about how "Peter outing himself weakened the spell." My guess is that means him revealing himself to the avengers and FF allowed jackal to become the exception to the rule and his little camera stint during Spider Island nearly broke the spell entirely.

-V-
Disassembled.

The moment that Marvel started down the wrong path.

Blight
Originally posted by -V-
Disassembled.

The moment that Marvel started down the wrong path. thumb up

I'm surprised no one mentioned Black Panther and Reggie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.