New Sailor Moon anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jalek moye
Old news but since there was no thread about it.

Thoughts?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-06/sailor-moon-manga-gets-new-anime-in-summer-2013

Astner
Sailor Moon is one of the worst anime- and manga series out there. I could go on with an all-out rant explaining how the premise is horrible, the characters impossible to relate to, and so on. But I'm going to leave it at that.

BloodRain
The guy wears a tuxedo into battle. That's all a series needs.

Astner
Originally posted by BloodRain
The only anime- and manga badass who fights in a tuxedo is Hikawa, and that's more a business suit than anything else.

XanatosForever
Personally, I'm curious about this. The original (or what I assume to be original) was one of my first introductions into anime, so I'm wondering what changes will be undergone.

Zack Fair
A fangirl friend of mine told me it ws supposed to be closer to the manga.

XanatosForever
I've never thought to look at the manga, so it should be an interesting comparison.

StyleTime
Like Xanatos, Sailor Moon was my first anime. I'll probably check out the new series.

Childhood memories and all that.

Ridley_Prime
I think it was one of the first animes for anyone who was around during the beginning of the Toonami days. Might look into this sometime when it comes around. Sailor Jupiter was my favorite from what I remember.

XanatosForever
I didn't have a particularly favorite scout at the beginning, though Moon did annoy the hell out of me.

jalek moye
It's been so long that I don't remember who I liked or didn't like.

Starfire7
Originally posted by Astner
Sailor Moon is one of the worst anime- and manga series out there. I could go on with an all-out rant explaining how the premise is horrible, the characters impossible to relate to, and so on. But I'm going to leave it at that.

Well, that's your opinion. Of course you've probably seen very little of it, otherwise you wouldn't trash it without any back-up or specifics -- and you can't claim you've seen enough of it to make a strong judgement about the series since you have no specifics. I might as well say Miyazaki films are all crap and leave it at that, but I can't because I've seen those films. Some authority you are. roll eyes (sarcastic) Sheesh.

Samurai100
Meh, a Yu Yu Hakusho remake wouldl've been better

Starfire7
That's a different franchise. Give me a break - might as well remake Pokemon as well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The truth is that ANY franchise that gets a remake has probably EARNED it for some reason or another (or maybe not). It's all right to bash something, but you had better have seen more than enough of the series to make a case strong enough, and with some detailed evidence, to convince others about it. That's my point.

Astner
Originally posted by Starfire7
Well, that's your opinion.
No. It's not my opinion that the series is written in such a way that it opposes virtually every quality standard in literature devised by professors in linguistics, psychology, and other relevant fields.

Of course you've probably seen very little of it, otherwise you wouldn't trash it without any back-up or specifics -- and you can't claim you've seen enough of it to make a strong judgement about the series since you have no specifics.
I watched it a long time ago, and I'm not going to subject myself to the garbage just to bring up specifics.

I might as well say Miyazaki films are all crap and leave it at that, but I can't because I've seen those films. Some authority you are. roll eyes (sarcastic) Sheesh.
Yes, but your sentiment differs from mine in that it's subjective. I clearly pointed out general outlines for why Sailor Moon is poorly written, by any academic standard.

Bentley
Eh, I wouldn't test a popular work to academic scrutiny unless its quality it's outstanding, even very decent pieces of Shouen manga wouldn't stand up simply by generic contraints. But I digress, Astner is on the right track imho, the series is still not very good. If people find it entertaining it has more than fulfilled its ambitions.

Anyways, let's hope they keep the transexuality this time around.

Starfire7
No. It's not my opinion that the series is written in such a way that it opposes virtually every quality standard in literature devised by professors in linguistics, psychology, and other relevant fields.

It IS just only your own personal opinion, sir. The series did well enough with people all over the world to remind us that 'academic Standards' are not the only mark of a great story, sir.

Good day, sir.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Bentley
If people find it entertaining it has more than fulfilled its ambitions.

All that's all that really matters that it entertains people.

Yamcha
Eh....The mentioning of a Yu Yu Hakusho remake made me nostalgic, I would love to see that lol

Ah but about Sailor Moon? It was def one of the first animes I watched, it came on before Samurai Pizza Cats I think baha...but tbh yeah I just was always wanting Tuxedo Mask to become the main character lmao...hell they should remake it...but turn all the Sailor Scouts...into uberly powerful bishounen....I'd watch it no expression.

Clovie
I'm very curious about it and can't wait to see what they did/ how they destroyed it..

and of course that sailormoon is not something I would watch nowadays, but back in primary school it was fun, and when I was re-watching it between some exams at the uni it served a purpose with giving me possibility to forget about being an adult messed

atv2
I wouldn't mind seeing it come about but I wonder if they are going to improve Tuxedo Mask's character. Will they have him going to work on the enemy this time around instead of just using roses and canes, will they make a warrior out of him? I know they gave him the smoke bomb attack but they should make him a stronger person. It could take the risk of breaking the show because it is centered around Sailormoon and the goal is to promote female heroes but he is the Future King of Tokyo and they should make him a stronger character.

Clovie
I haven't read the whole manga, but from parts I've seen it's around the same as in old anime. so I doubt they're going to change his character.

I on the other hand would love seeing Usagi with Seiya. but it c♦an't happen...

atv2
Originally posted by Clovie
I haven't read the whole manga, but from parts I've seen it's around the same as in old anime. so I doubt they're going to change his character.

I on the other hand would love seeing Usagi with Seiya. but it c♦an't happen...

Yeah, I heard about Seiya and she's a twisted character. The Star series never aired because the sexual content was bad. It was luck that the S series made it in, Amara and Michelle was a mess. I'll go as far to say that they were lucky to have the first series on their because Zoicite was a tranie and had this relationship with Malachite. I like the series but the perversion in sexuality nailed them.

Scarlet Fox
I actually liked Tuxedo Mask! He was all mysterious and.. and... and sheet! And if you cant relate to a single character in an anime it isnt surprising. If you could relate to one character in every single Anime out there you have a Freaked Up life!

But Yay SailorMoon!

atv2
Originally posted by BloodRain

They could do alot with him. If they bring another series of SM around they have alot of work to do with it.

Factchecker
God please no God

Ridley_Prime
So yeah, the said anime reboot has started recently it seems. Haven't gotten around to watching the first episode yet but thoughts on it so far?

Zack Fair
Polarizing opinions. Youre better off watching newer/better anime >D

Ridley_Prime
After watching the first episode just a little bit ago, kinda see what ya mean. Yeah, there's obviously better current anime out there, but so far I more or less enjoyed it for what it was. Probably a sucker for nostalgia far as the series goes, but I like the new art style, and it's only gonna be like, what? 26 episodes? So won't be that much to follow up with like the older anime, which I could never be bothered to watch all of. xD

Zack Fair
If you're in a mood to watch anime I recommend the following Mirai Nikki/Future Diay, Psycho Pass, No Game No Gain, Attack on Titan, Stein's Gate, Code Geass.

THere are many others, but those are short(barring Code Geass--which doesn't matter because after S1 you'll be hooked) varied and still all kinds of awesome.

NemeBro
I clearly pointed out general outlines for why Sailor Moon is poorly written, by any academic standard. No you didn't, you just made vague criticisms.

Don't be such a pussy Astner.

Clovie
Originally posted by atv2
Yeah, I heard about Seiya and she's a twisted character. The Star series never aired because the sexual content was bad. It was luck that the S series made it in, Amara and Michelle was a mess. I'll go as far to say that they were lucky to have the first series on their because Zoicite was a tranie and had this relationship with Malachite. I like the series but the perversion in sexuality nailed them. Who is Amara and Michelle???? huh I have no idea about those weird american-dubbing names..

and in poland they aired everything, just changed some things on translation, so the "evil" context is gone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.