Dragonball franchise

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jalek moye
Couldn't find a thread for it, so here's i guess a general thread on everything in the dragonball franchise.

Really just wanted to post that there's a new dragonball z anime movie in the works.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-10/toei-toriyama-work-on-march-2013-dragon-ball-z-film

Thoughts on seeing a new dbz film?

Bro SMASH
DBZ still lives on! I'll be watching out for this new anime movie for sure!

Astner
I'm suspecting that this movie will be just as poorly written and forgettable as the anniversary movie.

What's good about Dragon Ball are the world-threatening villains, and the ridiculous- power-ups and energy beams.

Ridley_Prime
Is the anniversary movie the one with Vegeta's brother? I meant to see that but forgot all about it.

Gecko4lif
Originally posted by jalek moye

Really just wanted to post that there's a new dragonball z anime movie in the works.
http://i.imgur.com/2cx6Y.jpg

BloodRain
We all agree that they've gone past beating a dead horse and are now doing things to the horse which you can only find on the darkest pits of the internet?

Duplicate anime, meh movies, piles of games exactly the same as the last. I say they make something 100% new or just drop it.

Kazenji
Has anyone checked out the Kai updated series?

i've watched some of of it and i like it.. except for Kid Gohan's new voice actor.

Bro SMASH
I've seen it and I like it too. Too bad it doesn't go to the Buu saga.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by BloodRain
We all agree that they've gone past beating a dead horse and are now doing things to the horse which you can only find on the darkest pits of the internet?

Duplicate anime, meh movies, piles of games exactly the same as the last. I say they make something 100% new or just drop it.

DBZ isn't nearly as retched and pathetic as the mess Star Wars has become. Give it that at least.

BloodRain
True, SW has trumped everything but the mass of games. Though SW still has canon going for it, while the last canon thing from DB was the mangas end in '95.

TheAuraAngel
Well I don't know about that. Not counted them but I wouldn't wager there is a huge gap.

And man, who cares about the EU canon or whatever it is? I don't. What I do care about is my friend wasting money for a 4 hour crappy game. I could hear him silently weeping into his pillow the night he got FU II...and then beat it later that same night. :T

Astner
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
DBZ isn't nearly as retched and pathetic as the mess Star Wars has become. Give it that at least.
I wouldn't call Dragon Ball pathetic. You'll have your eventual cheesy movie or update every now and then. But that's what? Two or three times per decade? It's more for the fans than for the money.

I personally don't appreciate the new material, but I can respect the producers for putting it out.

The Star Wars movies on the other hand have gone through so many unnecessary edits and cuts to make money it's ridiculous. I feel bad for the fans for having to deal with it.

True, SW has trumped everything but the mass of games. Though SW still has canon going for it,
The canon stamp is just there to make money. It's not even put there by George Lucas from what I've read.

while the last canon thing from DB was the mangas end in '95.
The backstory Dragon Ball Online is supposedly canon.

Zack Fair
DB and SW need to die, but at least Lucasarts tries to make good games.

Astner
Originally posted by Zack Fair
The only reason we have a new Dragon Ball game every six months is because people buy them, which is stupid because the games are poorly made. It's almost as bad as with Fifa, Madden, NHL, and NBA.

I mean, who cares if they've added thirty new characters including Oolong's half-sister whom we've never heard of before, and Broly's new Super Saiyan 3.5 form?

And the worst thing is that the Dragon Ball setting has so much potential, and they waste it all on poorly programmed beat 'em up games.

The only decent Star Wars game I've played was Knights of the Old Republic. The other titles I've played are outright horrible. It's almost as if they expect the gamers to play their games just because of the franchise.

Zack Fair
I agree. The DB universe has a lot of potential for video games, but for some reason they just never meet it. That reason probably being lazyness.

Astner
The reason is that they don't have to. The fans are stupid enough to buy anything with Dragon Ball in the title. Why put money and effort to make a good game when it will sell regardless of it?

Back in the day a friend of mine bought Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout for $500 on ebay, and he then had to buy a PSX from the states just to pay it, it was a horrible game and the graphics were completely outdated at the time since the PS2 had been out for an entire year at that point. And he knew that the game received horrible reviews even before he bought it.

BloodRain
Forgot about DB:O being canon. Agree with its potential. Now their just glorified one-on-one fighting games. Tekken in space.

Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Well I don't know about that. Not counted them but I wouldn't wager there is a huge gap.

And man, who cares about the EU canon or whatever it is? I don't. What I do care about is my friend wasting money for a 4 hour crappy game. I could hear him silently weeping into his pillow the night he got FU II...and then beat it later that same night. :T
..Holy crap.

6 movies, screw the rest. And your friend deserves those tears for purchasing

Zack Fair
Force Unleashed 2...what a clustter****

Ridley_Prime

Kai I felt was necessary. It fixed the worst things the original anime did, had some better voices (while some worse ones on the flipside) and dialogue, etc. As for movies I don't think they'll top the best of the them at this point (Bardock, Cooler, etc). Everything else I agree with you on completely, especially the latest games. Ugh.

Originally posted by Bro SMASH
I've seen it and I like it too. Too bad it doesn't go to the Buu saga.
I personally thought they did a service by skipping the Buu saga (which had the most fillers from what I remember), but I guess giving it the Kai treatment would've been better than putting GT back on the air at least.

After Force Unleashed II and SW Kinect, "trying" to make good games is one of the last things I'd say for them. Kinda makes me want to replay Shadows of the Empire, one of the Rogue Squadrons, and some other decent older gen SW stuff.

Astner
Overall I see Dragon Ball Kai as a failed project. Mostly because it was poorly planned, so they never managed to get past the Cell arc. Which of course would come as a great disappointment for the fans who looked forward to collecting it.

They could've hired any Dragon Ball fan and he'd be able to divide arcs, and cover everything that's important in a 100 episode in an outlining script that he'd finish in a month, two months at the most.

I also don't see why they couldn't have reanimated it. In a style similar to what we saw in Ultimate Tenkaichi.

-yFZkJq_3R8

Because that style would definitely get the new generation into the series. Covering all three main arcs in 100 episodes, and then put out on Cartoon Network or whatever kids watch these days. It would definitely sell better than the Full-Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood crap we got.

TheAuraAngel

Yeah the original scene is still better though. Just Saiyan.

Astner
It had better music and it went through the scene slower, that can be fixed. But the style and animation is what I was focusing on. It's not like the animation from the early nineties will hold up against other shows.

It's an incredibly inspiring show, and with the rise in popularity of anime as well as superhero movies, a new crisp approach would most likely catch the interest of a vast audience, previously unaware of the series' existence.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Astner
It had better music and it went through the scene slower, that can be fixed. But the style and animation is what I was focusing on. It's not like the animation from the early nineties will hold up against other shows.

It's an incredibly inspiring show, and with the rise in popularity of anime as well as superhero movies, a new crisp approach would most likely catch the interest of a vast audience, previously unaware of the series' existence. I agree. Although its hard to believe an audience doesn't know of DB.

TheAuraAngel
Ah I see....

We need DBZ on motorcycles.

Astner
I agree. Although its hard to believe an audience doesn't know of DB.
Well let me put it this way: The games aren't going to get anyone into the series, and the anime is outdated.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Astner
Well let me put it this way: The games aren't going to get anyone into the series, and the anime is outdated.

I think a new anime done in more the dragonball style would be cool. More martial arts comedy

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by jalek moye
I think a new anime done in more the dragonball style would be cool. More martial arts comedy
Hercule/Mr. Satan did the martial arts comedy part pretty well. Can never have too much of him.

Samurai100
I agree on the reanimation front, but keeping the lassie music and such stuff, same should be done for Yu Yu hakusho

jalek moye
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Hercule/Mr. Satan did the martial arts comedy part pretty well. Can never have too much of him.

Yeah he was funny but also pretty irrelevant, just miss the days when every non alien wasn't a waste of space.

Kazenji
There's an all new DBZ movie on its way

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/DragonBallNews/news/?a=64655

Gecko4lif
Why is goku a child... gt becoming canon?

Kazenji
Not sure what's up with that

something they're not telling us.

Astner
It seems like a teaser, and not something that will actually appear in the movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.