does Destiny Exist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheBigManRevo
Hello!

Something which made me crazy from about three years or more is Destiny
does it exist if so, how and more important why?

because I doubt its existence because it says , Dude your life is pre-made and you are just an actor doing what's in the script

doesn't make everything meaningless and does it contradict the free will (I assume in this case above yes) and make us unresponsible for our actions actually it won't be ours anymore

!!

Help

Mindset
No, disteny does not exist in the English language.

I hope that helped.

JediRobin23
You choose your disteny

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Mindset
No, disteny does not exist in the English language.

I hope that helped.

... what heights of wit we have in this poor, desolate part of the forum.

Astner
All I'll say is that victimizing yourself by attributing the results of your efforts to destiny will have a negative impact on your psyche.

Other than that, you destiny isn't by itself well-defined enough to where we could determine the answer to your question.

Symmetric Chaos
Maybe not, but that doesn't mean you have free will either.

Archaeopteryx
There is no fate......

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
There is no fate...... ... but what you make? Maybe not, but I'm more concerned with my absentee spoon.

the ninjak
Can anyone prove otherwise?

No.

Well then.

movie1
everything that happens , does so for a reason. I think it must exist; one thing leads to another. maybe everything was pre-determined right from the start of the universe.

Originally posted by TheBigManRevo
Hello!

Something which made me crazy from about three years or more is Destiny
does it exist if so, how and more important why?

because I doubt its existence because it says , Dude your life is pre-made and you are just an actor doing what's in the script

doesn't make everything meaningless and does it contradict the free will (I assume in this case above yes) and make us unresponsible for our actions actually it won't be ours anymore

!!

Help total unidirectional causality of macroscopic (above quantum) phenomena may or may not exist. if it does, than all your actions were set when the universe was born. you still have free will in the political sense of not being coerced.

if macroscopic reality is less rigidly tied to causality by the existence of randomness or if the exact same cause can lead to multiple possible effects than the future is still being written. Still, your wants and actions might just be the product of randomness and not conscient volition, which has been put in check already regardless

Stoic
There's really no destiny, we choose as we go along, and this is what leads us eventually to a destination. The only for sure destiny in life is death. You will never be guaranteed anything, nor should you live your life as if some awesome event will transpire, because this may never happen. In other words if you want it, go and get it. If you can't, then it wasn't meant for your ass, it was meant for mine (I mean for example of course).

jinXed by JaNx
i honsestly believe serendipity, however, i also believe that that at any moment we can all take control of our lives'. Self awareness was the greatest gift God has bestowed upon us. Do what you will, but there is always a plan. IN THE END ll leads to to one.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i honsestly believe serendipity, however, i also believe that that at any moment we can all take control of our lives'. Self awareness was the greatest gift God has bestowed upon us. Do what you will, but there is always a plan. IN THE END ll leads to to one.

Giving something self awareness without free will sounds like the cruelest thing I can imagine.

Bentley
Time doesn't exist in a conventional sense that would allow a concept such as Destiny to be meaningful.

That and what Mindset said.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Giving something self awareness without free will sounds like the cruelest thing I can imagine.
Jem'hadar ftw.

Originally posted by Bentley
Time doesn't exist in a conventional sense that would allow a concept such as Destiny to be meaningful.
do ellaborate

Bentley
The regular notion of time assumes that we build future by stacking past events, but it could be as easily the future making stacks into the past or both relationships happening simultaneously or so to say. Time is a way in which we understand physical relationships, but if things that we assume future actually exist in a matter of speaking disregarding how we place them in time -and thus can interact with their own past in a limited fashion-, to discuss about we having a "Destiny", would be off to say the least.

ok, but isn't all that completely speculative? how do you figure causation actually functions?

Dolos
My belief is that you desire a certain destiny, and you do your best to create it.

If you were flawless, you could create it exactly as you imagined it first try.

In this world, we must create a revised destiny after a lifetime of attempts.

The universe is chaos, there is no intrinsic rhyme or reason. It is up to the consciousness to analyze, interpret and create for itself a structure, order, to make sense of things.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dolos
The universe is chaos And yet it insists on being so damn orderly.

Dolos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
And yet it insists on being so damn orderly.

As orderly as debt and your good ole' slave plantation owner.

Just swallow the orders.

Anyway, I find it difficult to believe that one man can live his whole life trying to support his family in hard labor, doing good at the expense of misery, until a fork-lift accident leaves him in a mutilated state, unable to support family...while some lazy bastard can sit at home and order laborers to do stuff for her.

You see that to me isn't very fair, I don't see the sense or the reason.

Or out of a group of soldiers, the youngest who has the most to live for dies. 'God works in mysterious ways'? Down syndrome is the work of chaos, failed replication of DnA during meitosis, not God.

Lord Lucien
You said the "universe" is chaos, not the human notions of fairness are chaos. Which they are. They are also arbitrary.

Dolos
You said the "universe" is chaos, not the human notions of fairness are chaos. Which they are. They are also arbitrary.

The universe is a shooting gallery of heat and lack thereof, it's nothingness...there's no more order in that than the gruesome scenarios that victims befall.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dolos
The universe is a shooting gallery of heat and lack thereof, it's nothingness...there's no more order in that than the gruesome scenarios that victims befall. The universe can't be a shooting gallery and nothingness. It's one or the other.

Dolos
The universe can't be a shooting gallery and nothingness. It's one or the other.

Ah, but it can be meaningless beyond meaningless interpretations of meaningless people. The conscious observer applies meaning to chaos, makes its own symmetry out of asymmetry. Once it understands this fact, it achieves meta-perspective - which can aid in emotional intelligence (control of emotions during decision making). It also helps remove superstition and credulity, but as with me it can leave you a little empty inside most of the time.

Lord Lucien
The conscious observer also decides what is chaos and what isn't. Decides what is or isn't symmetrical and decides whether is should or shouldn't be.

Dolos
The conscious observer also decides what is chaos and what isn't. Decides what is or isn't symmetrical and decides whether is should or shouldn't be.

And beyond that perspective, there is no perspective. Thus chaos, nothing to make sense of anything. No rhyme or reason.

Lord Lucien
Reason and purpose, no. Orderly functionality, yes.

Dolos
Reason and purpose, no.

What do you think destiny is?

Hmm?

Are you replying to read your own posts?

Lord Lucien
Destiny is a notion that people either interpret as where they've ended up, or where they think they're going to end up. Useless, either way.

And don't call the kettle black.

So lucien can debate and it appears he is quite good at it. who wouldda guessed?

Lord Lucien
Beneath this mask there is more than sarcastic comments...

Bentley
Originally posted by 753
ok, but isn't all that completely speculative? how do you figure causation actually functions?

Well, that's a bit more difficult to explain. You can argue that by definition causation cannot be proved, but if we adhere to a more or less deterministic set of physic laws, it really doesn't make much of a difference. If the universe is deterministic, causation does exist in a fashion, arguably every bit of the universe already contains all the effects it will produce.

So well, I'm sort of assuming a deterministic model, causation serves the propose of providing an analog replacement of free will in a deterministic model, because at any point in time, you're already you and your identity its entirely defined, you've already doomed yourself, but at the same time you feel as if you will be actively dooming yourself and your doom is already affecting you to go into its path. You're don't succeed because you're cocky, you're cocky because you already succeeded. Or something to that effect.

But as many things regarding possible metaphysics, it's obviously speculation, I mean, there can be no proof.

Dolos
Destiny is a notion that people either interpret as where they've ended up, or where they think they're going to end up. Useless, either way.

But there. My point entirely. However, I do believe in self-fulfilling prophecies. I believe that putting yourself in a certain destiny effects how you act greatly enough to influence your actual fate. Which is badass as ****.

Guilty as charged.

Lord Lucien
It's picking an end-goal and wanting to get there. People can mix it up with predestination/fate and fancy it to be a grander venture than it really is. So when they say "But it is my destiny", it's really just saying they want to have/be something/where/one. Pretty basic. Shame some need to glorify or romanticize their desires in order to feel spurred to/justified in acquiring them.

Dolos
It's picking an end-goal and wanting to get there. People can mix it up with predestination/fate and fancy it to be a grander venture than it really is. So when they say "But it is my destiny", it's really just saying they want to have/be something/where/one. Pretty basic. Shame some need to glorify or romanticize their desires in order to feel spurred to/justified in acquiring them.

Emotional arousal via the excitement of fulfilling a destiny adds vigor AND confidence to the mind, and increases cognitive performance, both immediately and over time.

The one who tricks his/herself the most improves more quickly.

Compounding that is focus, shutting off everything else. A thing my condition excels at.

Lord Lucien
Hyponymy. If that were true, every delusional fool would be magnificent. Unless you mean they trick themselves in to thinking they're improving, in which case yes.

Is there a name for that condition?

Dolos
Hyponymy. If that were true, every delusional fool would be magnificent.

There are levels of delusional. Some people are able and willing (in my case eager) to face the demon of inferiority without losing their resolve, and perhaps conquer it. When that happens, there's an angel of capability waiting to endow them.

The human mind is capable of quite a bit of folding and revision and acceptance and yet resilience and inexorable improvements. It's capable of changing. It could be ever-adaptive.

Lord Lucien
Poetic. That doesn't sound like trickery, it sounds like tenacity and endurance.

Dolos
Poetic. That doesn't sound like trickery, it sounds like tenacity and endurance.

Which may require trickery at times. Over-confidence, tempered by the cold hard fact.

Lord Lucien
So raising yourself up high artificially, facing the truth of the rise, and not letting that truth bring you back down again. There has to be a proper technical term for that.

megalomania?

but dolos does have a point that belief helps people mobilize their internal resources, even if it's belief in predistination

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.