Dr. Manhattan vs Supes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

keiththegreat
Dr. Manhattan

vs

Current Superman

Galan007
manhattan via bfr.

even w/o bfr, i still see the good doctor winning. superman certainly isn't transmutation-proof at this point in time.

the ninjak
Could the Doc create clones of himself in the comic?

Black bolt z
Originally posted by the ninjak
Could the Doc create clones of himself in the comic? Yeah. 3 or 4.

PillarofOsiris
superman may have no transmutation resistance feats yet, but Manhattan has no feats to say he could transmute someone like Superman either.

Blight
Based on implied power, Manhatten should win 10/10.

PillarofOsiris
His power is implied to be so high because it's not like there's much competition for him.

Colossus-Big C
Manhatten 10/10

PillarofOsiris
Also, consider that Dr. Manhattan was stated to only be able to intercept 60% of the USSR's nukes if they shot them all off. Given Superman's speed (even the new Superman, now that we have him reading every single medical book in seconds), he could easily stop ALL OF THE NUKES.

JakeTheBank
Manhattan, at best, is around Silver Surfer level.

Galan007
i agree.

and personally, i wouldn't put new 52 supes in surfer's tier... right now, at least.

JakeTheBank
thumb up

PillarofOsiris
I don't see how he's equal to the Surfer, since the Surfer could easily stop not only the USSR's nukes all at once, but probably all of earth's nations at once.

JakeTheBank
Which is why I said at best he's around that level.

And that's me being generous.

ColossusGrundy
Manhattan ftw
Pre DCnU would be more interesting.

tkitna
Manhattan everytime.

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy
Manhattan ftw
Pre DCnU would be more interesting.

More interesting? Pre DCnU Superman would waste Dr. Manhattan.

Slaanesh
Manhattan 10/10..pre or DCnU doesn't really matter..

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by Slaanesh
Manhattan 10/10..pre or DCnU doesn't really matter..

lol. Based on what? Do you know how many people have tried to transmute or demolecularize Pre DCnU Superman? Dr. Manhattan could only stop 60% of the nukes from the USSR. Pre Reboot Superman could easily stop them them all and have time left over to fly to Vega and back twice. Dr. Manhattan looks like a big shot in a world with no other metahumans on his level. It's doubtful he could even transmute any high herald.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
lol. Based on what? Do you know how many people have tried to transmute or demolecularize Pre DCnU Superman? Dr. Manhattan could only stop 60% of the nukes from the USSR. Pre Reboot Superman could easily stop them them all and have time left over to fly to Vega and back twice. Dr. Manhattan looks like a big shot in a world with no other metahumans on his level. It's doubtful he could even transmute any high herald. Could Pre Reboot Supes manipulate energy?

JakeTheBank
Yes, but not in the way you're thinking.

Superman's no energy manipulator in the vein of Silver Surfer or Thor or a Lantern, but he does have decent feats in that arena.

Black bolt z
K. Than I'd say he can probably beat Manhattan.

PillarofOsiris
He's very good at absorbing energy, but as Jake said, he's a lightweight in that area compared to Thor and the Surfer. Even still there's little Dr. Manhattan could do to Superman, based on the feats of both characters.

Galan007
lol. Based on what? Do you know how many people have tried to transmute or demolecularize Pre DCnU Superman? Dr. Manhattan could only stop 60% of the nukes from the USSR. Pre Reboot Superman could easily stop them them all and have time left over to fly to Vega and back twice. Dr. Manhattan looks like a big shot in a world with no other metahumans on his level. It's doubtful he could even transmute any high herald. laughing i like how you troll every single person who chooses doctor manhattan here.

Bouboumaster
Overall, Superman is the most powerful of the two, but he can't win: Manhattan is to versatile for him.

asdf83
The whole 60% of the nukes thing is just one scientist's estimation of the Doctor's powers. I doubt any human on that world has a complete grasp of Manhattan.

Anyways, besides his many many powers, he can instantly reform after being vaporized into atoms. The hell is Superman going to do to him?

keiththegreat
Originally posted by asdf83
The whole 60% of the nukes thing is just one scientist's estimation of the Doctor's powers. I doubt any human on that world has a complete grasp of Manhattan.

Anyways, besides his many many powers, he can instantly reform after being vaporized into atoms. The hell is Superman going to do to him?

I distinctly remember Dr. Manhattan himself said that, as he was doubting himself. If he doesn't know his capabilities, who does? What's Dr. Manhattan going to do to a guy who's resisted being transmuted?

JakeTheBank
Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if a heavy doze of heat vision caused Manhattan to disperse. Or an application of fists.

DarkSaint85
Also, Watchmen was a different history to ours. For all we know, the USSR had triple what the DCU USSR has.

Plus, in the Fernus the Burning storyline, Superman needed the entire League's help in stopping those nukes so...

asdf83
Originally posted by keiththegreat
I distinctly remember Dr. Manhattan himself said that, as he was doubting himself. If he doesn't know his capabilities, who does? What's Dr. Manhattan going to do to a guy who's resisted being transmuted?

It's from an article written about Dr. Manhattan.

"It has been similarly theoretically demonstrated that, were a full scale nuclear assault to be launched upon America from Soviet bases in the USSR and Europe, Dr. Manhattan would be able to deflect or disarm at least sixty percent of all incoming missiles before they had reached their targets."

Key words being "theoretically" and "at least." Anyways, even Veidt didn't fully comprehend Dr. Manhattan's capabilities, and he's the smartest man in that world.

janus77
Put Surfer in DM's place and every feat that DM did, Surfer would easily replicate (if not surpass). Surfer would have even better control over matter and be able to see into the past and the future just as well.

The only thing DM had over Surfer was a clearly visible willy... Maybe that's enough to scare off Superman.... maybe.

asdf83
Originally posted by janus77
Put Surfer in DM's place and every feat that DM did, Surfer would easily replicate (if not surpass). Surfer would have even better control over matter and be able to see into the past and the future just as well.

The only thing DM had over Surfer was a clearly visible willy... Maybe that's enough to scare off Superman.... maybe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen Surfer teleport, create clones of himself, or reform himself after being blasted into atoms.

Dr. Manhattan also made it quite clear at the end that he is capable of creating life. Another thing that is beyond Surfer.

tkitna
Dr. Manhattan also made it quite clear at the end that he is capable of creating life. Another thing that is beyond Surfer.

Actually, Surfer has done this.

janus77
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen Surfer teleport, create clones of himself, or reform himself after being blasted into atoms.

Teleportation, I can't honestly remember off the top of my head, but the others he has done for definite.

He's made clones of himself as well as duplicated his powers and given them to others. He's also brought an inorganic computer to life.

And, unlike Manhattan, he's evolved life on a planet (billions of years).

He has been shattered to atoms and reformed instantly too.

Creating life by creating the building blocks, that's a knowledge feat that Surfer would be capable of replicating, since he can write and rewrite dna too.

asdf83
Originally posted by tkitna
Actually, Surfer has done this.

Really? When? If so, damn, color me impressed.

JakeTheBank
Surfer's spatial warps may as well be teleportation.

Even the relatively tame flying around and blasting shit Surfer could take on Manhattan, to say nothing of "all powers used to the nth degree" Surfer.

asdf83
Teleportation, I can't honestly remember off the top of my head, but the others he has done for definite.

He's made clones of himself as well as duplicated his powers and given them to others. He's also brought an inorganic computer to life.

And, unlike Manhattan, he's evolved life on a planet (billions of years).

He has been shattered to atoms and reformed instantly too.

Creating life by creating the building blocks, that's a knowledge feat that Surfer would be capable of replicating, since he can write and rewrite dna too.

Alright, I stand corrected then.

PillarofOsiris
Superman has outraced teleporters. So teleportation is hardly a big deal to him.

Newjak
I gotta say the good Dr doesn't have enough feats to really do anything. His implied power of super godhood came because he was the only superpowered person in his entire universe as far as we know.

He's just somebody who has an amazing powerset.

He did have a theoretical limit which would put him definitely below someone like Surfer but it's hard to really gauge this character.

Personally I wouldn't put him past Sersi level at the very best.

Mindship
Teleportation, I can't honestly remember off the top of my head, but the others he has done for definite. The first time I recall Surfer teleporting was when he used it to escape Quasimodo's grasp. Vaguely I recall him teleporting maybe once or twice more over the years. I think it's a power writers stay away from, otherwise, how do you justify Surfer wasting time flying.

Anyways...

It was always my impression that the Dr. Manhattan we witnessed in Watchman was a nascent state, with great power and potential implied, ie, that fully developed, Manhattan would be truly godlike. As such: Superman could likely defeat the Manhattan we witnessed but not the one implied. This would hold for Surfer as well: Soarin' Norrin could easily defeat Manhattan as depicted, but again: my impression was that Manhattan-as-depicted was a newbie but his potential would render him nigh unbeatable.

It comes down to whether you stick with what's shown on panel, or logically infer ability from the nature of the powerset, especially open powersets. As I like to say, we've never seen Superman pee, but if someone claimed he could take out a satellite with his superstream, I wouldn't debate it.

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Could Pre Reboot Supes manipulate energy?

He has absorbed massive amounts of it in the past and used it. He's also done energy draining. And his eye beams are a form of energy projection, who's limits are far from known.

Rao Kal El
Superman vs the feat less wonder?

Lets power imply, We do this all the time.

bbrem123
There is nothing Superman can do to win this really.

unless Superman combos to ko Dr. Manhattan with his 1,000,000,000,000 times faster then light speed and reflexes

PillarofOsiris
So what exactly is Dr. Manhattan going to do to Superman?

tkitna
So what exactly is Dr. Manhattan going to do to Superman?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7t3vozNS51rax0xxo1_500.gif

Bouboumaster

Something like that.

Superman isn't Silver Surfer, after all. cool

Rao Kal El

Oh yes I forgot, Rosrach is as durable as Superman and Rorsrach has molecular disruption resisting feats

Blight
Does PreDCnU Supes have them?

janus77
now that's an eloquent statement!

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by Blight

Not to my knowledge (yet). I think we got sidetracked because people were claiming pre reboot Superman could get beat by DM.

carver9
I'm giving this to Supes after a loooooong fight. Don't know how he is beating Manhattan but I haven't seen enough from the M man to give him the majority over Supes.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Blight

My bad, didn't read that it was dcnu sm.

To my knowledge he does not has those feats, unless taking ds omega beams counts as that.

But still, rosrach is not as durable as sm, and it will be nice to see the dr to use his power on someone above rosrach durability.

tjizz350
Ughhh Dr. Manhattan is so annoying people have him so overrated it don't make any sense. The guy looks powerful because he has no competition. He should look powerful compared to a bunch of street levelers. He does have some good powers. But can we at least see how he would do if he was with the rest of the DC universe before we make him the best thing since vanilla ice cream lol. Let's put it this way if we was to switch his team of heros with the Justice league (the original members) how would things look for both sides?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.