Australian Billionaire Wants to Clone Dinosaur

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Now Being Served at the Snack Bar: You! Australian Billionaire Wants to Clone Dinosaur for Real-Life Jurassic Park!

Local Aussie billionaire Clive Palmer is in "deep discussion" with the scientists who cloned Dolly the Sheep about producing a real, live dinosaur that he could house at an ambitious resort he's developing in Coolum, in the state of Queensland.

http://movieline.com/2012/08/01/australian-billionaire-determined-to-clone-dinosaur-for-real-life-jurassic-park/

I say do it. What do you guys think?

Symmetric Chaos
Really cool but seems like it would be a lot more work than its worth. I suspect he'll burn a few tens of millions on it then give up.

Nemesis X
He can clone anything just as long as it isn't a T-Rex or a pack of raptors. It would be a disaster.

Ascendancy
Yep, cause Australia doesn't already enough deadly creatures roaming around.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nemesis X
He can clone anything just as long as it isn't a T-Rex or a pack of raptors. It would be a disaster.

You're watcin' to many movies. Surely there'd be especially very strict security measures. Do large aquatic and/or large zoo animals breach security and create disasters most of the time? The answer's no.

If a common zoo can easily house some of the most largest and vicious of predators then dinosours at a customized facility will not be a problem. There're always high powered guns, as well.

It can be done.

Ascendancy
The animals might not breach their enclosures but far too many stupid humans make their way inside. It's not going to work out well.

lil bitchiness
Weren't some of the dinos bigger than anything we currently have on land? As long as he doesn't get carried away with it, why not?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Surely there'd be especially very strict security measures.

Just like Jurassic Park had?

There're always high powered guns, as well.

So did . . . . . . . . . Jurassic Park.

It can be done.

Can it? The cloning I mean. (and not in a philosophical sense where "we can do anything"wink

We'd need very specific dinosaur DNA and a way to make sure the cell cluster and fetus are able to grow. Even at that cloning has a significant failure rate.

Tzeentch._
Jurassic Park didn't have strict security. That was "the big joke" within the movie. Hammond kept going on and on about how he "spared no expense" whilst building the park, but the reality was that the security wad shoddy as hell- the tour vans they were riding in didn't even have locks on the doors.
Mankind's hubris being its own worst enemy was one of the principal themes of the movies. If the cages had been made up of six inch thick steel bars, the disasters within the park wouldn't have happened, but Hammond and his team were so busy patting themselves on the back for creating high-tech electric fences and sophisticated DNA populayipn contrpl measures, they had no idea hpw vulnerable they were making the parking.

Nephthys
Has he actually watched Jurassic Park? Things didn't exactly turn out alright for the rich billionaire in it as far as I remember.

Tzeentch._
The rich billionaire was actially fine in the movie iirc.

He did die horribly in the book thougj.

Robtard
I'd rather see him spend hundreds of millions making crazy hybrid animals, like a horse-tiger or wolf-bear.

Tzeentch._
Raping a velociraptor just doesn't appeal to you, huh?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
A rapping velociraptor just doesn't appeal to you, huh? Fixed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Fixed.

It's funny cause he's black, right?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by dadudemon
It's funny cause he's black, right? WEtRoZ5FWNc

Stoic
Now Being Served at the Snack Bar: You! Australian Billionaire Wants to Clone Dinosaur for Real-Life Jurassic Park!

Local Aussie billionaire Clive Palmer is in "deep discussion" with the scientists who cloned Dolly the Sheep about producing a real, live dinosaur that he could house at an ambitious resort he's developing in Coolum, in the state of Queensland.

http://movieline.com/2012/08/01/australian-billionaire-determined-to-clone-dinosaur-for-real-life-jurassic-park/

I say do it. What do you guys think?

Wait a second, are you saying that no one has ever attempted this yet? I mean could he have been the only one to think of this in a world filled with brilliant scientists? Something to think about huh?

rudester
hes going to kill us all...I can just see it getting out of control.

Robtard
Raping a velociraptor just doesn't appeal to you, huh?

Probably be similar to raping a large turkey. Now molesting a gorilla-alligator hybrid, that's something.

Astner
A lot of scientific research isn't conducted due to the lack of funding. Unless someone presents a specific research model with reasonable costs then it won't happen.

But cloning isn't that well-developed from what I understand, we're not able to create artificial wombs for one. But who knows, maybe even if we don't get dinosaurs we might find out ways to improve cloning.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Astner

we're not able to create artificial wombs for one.
Wouldn't be a problem for a dinosaur.

But for the most part I think this kind of science is a tad decadent.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Just like Jurassic Park had?

So did . . . . . . . . . Jurassic Park.

Can it? The cloning I mean. (and not in a philosophical sense where "we can do anything"wink

We'd need very specific dinosaur DNA and a way to make sure the cell cluster and fetus are able to grow. Even at that cloning has a significant failure rate.

dunno if you're joking or not but i'll humour you assume you are.

three words. It's A Movie.

it was meant to be a thriller that came with security breaches, hungry dino's and human's in dispair in order for it to be a good scary movie. but a couple of cloned dino's wouldn't stand a chance against near militry security personnel and state of the art, high tech security and weaponry matching high max prisons.

i don't see security as a concern. you'd, at most, probably need the same security measures you'd need at a city zoo or aquarium.

but i see jurrasic park did to you and the naysayers what Jaws did to beach goers in the 70's 80's.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nephthys
Has he actually watched Jurassic Park? Things didn't exactly turn out alright for the rich billionaire in it as far as I remember.

it was a movie !

that's like saying "Has he actually watched Jaws? Things didn't exactly turn out alright for the couple of swimmers in it as far as I remember."

that imply's the people should go swimming because of a movie.

FistOfThe North
correction "shouldn't go swimming because of a movie."

Omega Vision
it was a movie !

Which is exactly what I say to people who think cloning a healthy dinosaur is feasible in the foreseeable future.

rudester
its just such a stupid idea, how much money could a theme park bring in? Then how would he feed the animals, who would feed them? Bringing animals that were dead ages ago could have an effect on our environment; not only to us but to them. The air they breathed isnt the same air we are breathing today? Their just going to run a-muck!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iiSIKQArfOQ/UADqBadYq9I/AAAAAAAAA8M/Cy-zZ8COADc/s1600/500full.jpg

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Which is exactly what I say to people who think cloning a healthy dinosaur is feasible in the foreseeable future.

just like people as recent as in the 19th century would've had you commited if you went on about airplanes and space shuttles being an absolute possibility in the forseeable future??

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by rudester
its just such a stupid idea, how much money could a theme park bring in? Then how would he feed the animals, who would feed them? Bringing animals that were dead ages ago could have an effect on our environment; not only to us but to them. The air they breathed isnt the same air we are breathing today? Their just going to run a-muck!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iiSIKQArfOQ/UADqBadYq9I/AAAAAAAAA8M/Cy-zZ8COADc/s1600/500full.jpg

ah shutup.

Ascendancy
Tell you what Fist, when the park opens you go check it out and let us know how it all turns out.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Yep, cause Australia doesn't already enough deadly creatures roaming around.

This.

rudester
just like people as recent as in the 19th century would've had you commited if you went on about airplanes and space shuttles being an absolute possibility in the forseeable future??

what does technology have to do with ancient reptiles? They had their shot, and died, now we are at the top of the food chain. (F*king with the balance will only leave us at the bottom of the food chain) If you think a man made structure can hold down dinosaurs then ur a scientologist and a weirdo.

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/old/spinosaurus+rex+man2.jpg

Omega Vision
First off, I don't think people of the 19th century were nearly as skeptical to the prospect of powered flight or space travel as you might believe.

Second, this doesn't make the case for cloning dinosaurs being feasible, this just attempts to pull the rug under my argument, and fails too.

You do see how some variation of your maneuver here could be used to attempt justifying literally ANY belief about what's possible, don't you?

rudester
It has nothing to do with people being skeptical that it can be done, im sure it can but just because you have the power and means to be able to do things, does not give you the right to play GOD! He's being selfish on his quest for fame. If he wanted to he could help out the aboriginals who are suffering from degradation, quality of life and segregation.

ares834
TBH I really don't have any ethical problems with it. However, I am doubtful that it can be done. Furthermore, even if it can be done, we don't know how they will act and what they can do. What is needed to cage dinosaurs is basically unknown.

Still, if the park is created I'll be first in line to get in.

Tzeentch._
How is it unknown? They're just animals, and by examining their bones we can tell exactly how big and how strong they'll be.

What exactly do people think might end up happening if we somehow manage.to.bring dinosaurs.back to life?

ares834
Plenty of stuff. We don;t know how they acted, how they hunted, what they can do, etc...

Basically, we have no clue what they did and how they acted.

Tzeentch._
Actually, we have a pretty good idea of how most of them acted and hunted. When an animal has a certain biology, there's only so many ways it can behave. Similarly, if an animal has certain size bones, it can only be so strong, or durable. If it's skull is only so big than it's brain can only be so large, so it can only be so smart, etc.

There isn't really a whole lot you can't figure out about an animal just by examining it. You don't need to see a living breathing velocoraptor to know that if you lock it in a steel cage it can't get out, and if you shoot it with a gun it won't die.

Ascendancy
I'm thinking I should hit up an exotic bet for how many people will be eaten before the place gets shut down.

ares834
Not really. To this day there are still debates about whether T-rex was a hunter or a scavenger. We can only guess on an animals behavior based on their skeletal structure, however morphology only goes so far. Consider a vulture and eagle, both have very similar skeletal structure, yet have very different hunting patterns.

However, I'm not saying we can't keep them contained as we obviously can. By "what is needed to cage" I meant rather what they would need in their environment to keep them healthy.

Omega Vision
Actually, we have a pretty good idea of how most of them acted and hunted. When an animal has a certain biology, there's only so many ways it can behave. Similarly, if an animal has certain size bones, it can only be so strong, or durable. If it's skull is only so big than it's brain can only be so large, so it can only be so smart, etc.

There isn't really a whole lot you can't figure out about an animal just by examining it. You don't need to see a living breathing velocoraptor to know that if you lock it in a steel cage it can't get out, and if you shoot it with a gun it won't die.
Brain size isn't always an indicator of intelligence.

Look at Sperm Whales.

Originally posted by ares834
Not really. To this day there are still debates about whether T-rex was a hunter or a scavenger. We can only guess on an animals behavior based on their skeletal structure, however morphology only goes so far. Consider a vulture and eagle, both have very similar skeletal structure, yet have very different hunting patterns.

However, I'm not saying we can't keep them contained as we obviously can. By "what is needed to cage" I meant rather what they would need in their environment to keep them healthy.
The difference between scavenger and hunter in birds like eagles and vultures is easy--sharp talons means hunter, blunt talons means scavenger.

Of course bald eagles scavenge as much as they hunt.

ares834
As I said, similar skeletal structure. There are certainly differences some of which suggest different feeding habits. Another big one is the size of the olfactory nerve in vultures, interestingly enough this was used to suggest that T. Rex was primarily a scavenger.

Astner
Wouldn't be a problem for a dinosaur.
I'm pretty sure you still need a womb to create an egg.

But for the most part I think this kind of science is a tad decadent.
I don't give a surreal numbered fraction of a ****. It's dinosaurs, and that's all that needs to be said.

parenthesis
What would this mean for the ecosystem of the planet? I thought cows are damaging it already, a great big ****ing dinosaur might not be the best idea.

Astner
Originally posted by parenthesis
What would this mean for the ecosystem of the planet? I thought cows are damaging it already, a great big ****ing dinosaur might not be the best idea.
Unlike cows which exists in the billions -- 1.53 billion in 2001 -- these will exists in a very limited quantity.

Ascendancy
The dinosaurs will be eating up all of the excess cows and people, so no worries.

Stoic
Originally posted by Ascendancy
The dinosaurs will be eating up all of the excess cows and people, so no worries.

It just goes to show you that you don't need wisdom or intelligence to be rich. Take Mitt Romney for example. The crazy thing here is that he will still be able to fool multitudes of people into believing that it's right to rob from the poor, in order to give to the rich, who in turn will hire people overseas to do jobs that people living in their country could do. smile

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Astner
Unlike cows which exists in the billions -- 1.53 billion in 2001 -- these will exists in a very limited quantity.

For now . . .

One day tyrannosaurs will thunder across the plains of the American Mid-West like the buffalo of old.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.