Trailers: I don't want to see the whole movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ascendancy
Just my rant. I'm so tired of the trend of the last few years of revealing almost every feature scene of a movie in the trailers. Not all movies do this, but it seems that a number of highly-anticipated films are released following weeks or months of trailers that have more-or-less put the entirety of them on display in its entirety before they ever hit theaters.

Trailers are supposed to tease and entice, not take away from the film experience. I find myself muting and ignoring any trailers that come on for films that I am anticipating. Anyone else in the same boat I am on this?

Patient_Leech
I'm right there with you man. The Avengers showed the entire final sequence in the trailer, basically. That was dumb.

I didn't watch any trailers for Prometheus, so I saw very few images from it, and seeing it in IMAX 3D for the first time was mind-blowing. That paid off big time. (After I saw the movie I've watched the trailers innumerable times, heh, cuz they're freakin' awesome). So yeah, if there's something coming out that I'm really excited about, I avoid trailers. I'm not watching the trailer for Django Unchained or the trailers (when they come out) for the new Riddick. I mean, why watch a trailer if you know you're going to see the damn thing? You're just gonna spoil stuff... you're gonna be waiting for such-n-such to happen.. like the final sequence in The Avengers.

Kazenji
Alot of the comedies come to mind, They put all the funny scenes in trailer.

siriuswriter
Well, Pixar has good trailers that don't give anything away.

It's most current movie, Brave, was like that. The trailer made you think it was going to be "epic adventure in Scotland involving wild daughter of Scottish man."

Which it was... but going so much deeper, the story was sooo good, I would have never guessed anything about the plot.

Myth
Prometheus and TDKR come to mind in the sense that Prometheus did a good job teasing, while TDKR revealed way too much in the trailers. How much cooler would the football stadium scene have been if we never saw it in the trailer?

-Pr-
Have to agree. There was a movie a while back, I think It was called "The Double". They gave away the actual big twist of the movie in the actual trailer.

Not even through hinting. They blatantly said it.

Ascendancy
Indeed, Prometheus did a great job of not giving away any of the amazing cinematics or major plotlines featured in the film.

I have done my best to ignore and mute every Bourne and Skyfall trailer that has come on.

Myth
Originally posted by -Pr-
Have to agree. There was a movie a while back, I think It was called "The Double". They gave away the actual big twist of the movie in the actual trailer.

Not even through hinting. They blatantly said it.

What about Quarantine? That trailer actually showed how the movie ended.

rudester
felt this way with xmen...spoiler alert.

Esau Cairn
Unfortunately once a movie is made, the director has no say whatsoever in what scenes get released as trailers. It's all to do with the Marketing Dept & initial Test Screenings.

If a comedy bombs at the Test Screening & hardly anyone laughs then it's marketed as a serious drama delegating enough scenes for the trailer to give the basic plot away.

Same with horror, if people laugh & guffaw at the "scary bits" then it's re-marketted as comedy.

I know trailers can spoil & give too much away but just the same I can pick what movies to watch on the big screen, which ones to wait for dvd & more importantly which ones not to waste money on.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Indeed, Prometheus did a great job of not giving away any of the amazing cinematics or major plotlines featured in the film.

Well, yes, except for the lines: "To go where? Earth" and "If we don't stop it, there won't be any home to go back to." That was in the trailer and it's a pretty massive plot point.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Unfortunately once a movie is made, the director has no say whatsoever in what scenes get released as trailers. It's all to do with the Marketing Dept & initial Test Screenings.

I imagine that depends on the caliber of the director, how much money was invested, etc. I suppose it might be in the director's contract. Some might get a say, while others don't. There's good trailers and there's bad trailers, and the better directors are likely to make better trailers and can and should play a large role in how the film is presented in the trailers. Taking Prometheus again as an example: those trailers are f#cking phenomenal, so I'd be surprised if Ridley Scott wasn't intimately involved in putting them together.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

I imagine that depends on the caliber of the director, how much money was invested, etc. I suppose it might be in the director's contract. Some might get a say, while others don't. There's good trailers and there's bad trailers, and the better directors are likely to make better trailers and can and should play a large role in how the film is presented in the trailers. Taking Prometheus again as an example: those trailers are f#cking phenomenal, so I'd be surprised if Ridley Scott wasn't intimately involved in putting them together.

Exactly to do with the calibre of the director & especially if the director has invested their own money, like Ridley did with Prometheus, giving them more rights & direction control from marketing to release.
Whilst a standard director will only get paid & then by contract have nothing to do with their film afterwards.

juggerman
I remember watching the trailer for "Warrior" and thinking "these a$$holes just gave away that the brothers fight in the finals for the money!" and sure enough when the older brother was losing i was like "he eventually wins since this isn't the finals"

The movie itself was far more than just fighting and i deeply enjoyed it so that spoiler didn't bother me too much but still.

Esau Cairn
Even promotional movie posters annoy me some times.

One classic example is the poster for Reign Of Fire.

Hoards of flying dragons vs a squadron of Apache helicopters but in the film, there's only one close-up of one flying dragon & one helicopter as well.

juggerman
Predators pissed me off too. In the trailer they come right out and tell you the humans are on an alien hunting planet! WTF! So while watching the movie when they are trying to figure out where on Earth they are WE KNOW they aren't! STUPID!

Also i was disappointed that Brody wasn't about to be shot by like 60 Predator canons like the trailor promised me!

Ascendancy
It sometimes feels like the promotional crew doesn't even want you to be interested in the film by the end. I need to move out to Hollywood and get in on the action. I'm betting I could get much better average focus group interest and intent numbers than the spoiler-fests that are these new trailers.

Perfect example: Original Bourne, the trailer shows him hanging on the outside of a building but you don't get context or see what happens until you actually watch the movie. New Bourne, freaking see cross slide down between buildings and take out the cops/security.

Whet my appetite, don't ruin the whole freaking meal before I've had a bite.

BlackZero30x
Im not one to care much about things being spoiled but seriously a Trailer wants to draw intrigue by being like "look at the cool scenes and what happens next?" Instead of "see everything about the movie you need to know right now!"

Esau Cairn
I, for one, wouldn't mind just seeing trailers & posters showing juggling boobies...regardless of the movie or who's in it.

Juggling boobies= Bums in seats.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.