Fighting games for the single player

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
By and large, it seems like the single player AI in a fighting game is either easy, or cheap (The second being worse, imo, because it makes the game inaccessible to casual players..), and generally not much fun to play against..

Remember Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, and how it had this virtual arcade quest mode? And, how the AI actually had a learning curve, and managed to give a challenge on higher levels without being cheap about it? Basically, it had a single player mode that didn't feel like it was built as an afterthought for competition minded gamers to practice some skills on before going against friends?

Are there other games like that, or is a rich single player experience in a fighting game a rarity?

-Pr-
Mortal Kombat. The latest one. Yes, there are some cheap bosses, but it has the best story mode I've seen in a fighting game, bar none. It's a solid fighter too.

The story mode actually feels like the primary part of the game, if i'm being honest.

But then again, there's cheapness like I said.

NemeBro
Originally posted by -Pr-
Mortal Kombat. The latest one. Yes, there are some cheap bosses, but it has the best story mode I've seen in a fighting game, bar none. Look harder.

Nephthys
Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

It are amazing.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
Look harder.

I've looked plenty. Still prefer MK.

NemeBro
Originally posted by -Pr-
I've looked plenty. Clearly not.

Phanteros
Blazblue/Guilty Gear are the only ones that fit what you are looking for. Both containing great story modes that shit all over the competition.

Tzeentch._
Typical anime weebo garbage.

Mortal Kombat is the right choice, PR.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
Clearly not.

confused

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Typical anime weebo garbage.

Mortal Kombat is the right choice, PR.

Thought so.

cdtm
I'll see about getting the MK demo, if there is one.

I grew up watching DBZ and playing jrpg's, the same as just about any tween in the 90's, and I still like certain anime and anime inspired stuff.. (Deadman Wonderland is awesome) But yeah, Guilty Gear and Blazblu don't really appeal to me..

But thanks for the suggestions.

the ninjak
One of the best fighting games I ever played with great AI was TechRomancer on the Dreamcast.

cdtm
Originally posted by the ninjak
One of the best fighting games I ever played with great AI was TechRomancer on the Dreamcast.

Giant robot fighting game?

From videos, it looks interesting.. Ever been ported?

No End N Site
Originally posted by the ninjak

TechroooooMANCER!!!

Nephthys
Persona 4: The Ultimate.

Its being released today btw.

cdtm
Originally posted by No End N Site
TechroooooMANCER!!!

*Look up the word Zinc*..

Which is just an element.. and nothing else..

I said I was done, after the Steam sale.. finished with it.

I thought I could get out, but you pull me back in.

No End N Site
Originally posted by cdtm
*Look up the word Zinc*..

Which is just an element.. and nothing else..

I said I was done, after the Steam sale.. finished with it.

I thought I could get out, but you pull me back in.

Huh?

cdtm
Originally posted by No End N Site
Huh?

I just tried Tech Romancer.

And I'm not answering any more questions. stick out tongue

It IS a good game. Sort of a 2d Virtual On-ish game.

Surprised this only had one port from the arcade. You could have built a franchise around this stuff. (Than again, it's not exactly uncommon for great games to languish.. See: Power Stone.)

No End N Site
You think Techromancer is good, play the PSOne version of JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. Not only is the story mode long as hell and almost impossible to beat 100%, it turns into, at times,

- A side scrollin' beat'em up like Streets Of Rage

- A side scrolling shoot'em up like Contra

-QTE fest

-You'll play poker and black jack for you're life

-where's waldo-like shit

-FPS

-and about 20 or 30 more different games, along with classic fighting game action.

And I'm not kiddin, just look for you're self.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jojo+super+story+mode+&oq=super+story+m&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0i5l2.1568.7789.0.9869.13.11.0.2.2.0.288.1732.0j9j2.11.0...0.0...1ac.YthrfKsojD4

Literally the best story mode in a fighting game, ever! I say this as a person who doesn't care about fighting game stories, but JoJo's the most entertainin one you're ever gonna play. Strong emphasis on the impossible to complete 100%. Nobody really knows how to do it and after a year, I gave up.

the ninjak
Originally posted by cdtm
I just tried Tech Romancer.

And I'm not answering any more questions. stick out tongue

It IS a good game. Sort of a 2d Virtual On-ish game.

Surprised this only had one port from the arcade. You could have built a franchise around this stuff. (Than again, it's not exactly uncommon for great games to languish.. See: Power Stone.)

Yeah I wish I still had my Dreamcast. Techromancer was easily my fav on it. The storymodes. The balanced fighting machines. The weapons. Those cute mini games you could transfer into your controller.
Pure Win!

Definitely deserved an anime.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.