Which Powerset Would You Choose?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Just like the title asks, which power set would you take, and why?

Superman
Thor
Magneto
A Lantern
Flash
Silver Surfer
Juggernaut
Captain Marvel (Billy)
Ultra Boy
Nova Prime

Stoic
Oh and you don't have to look like them, you can look like yourself. I chose this option because not everyone in the world would want to be permanently silver.

abhilegend
A green lantern ring. It can do ANYTHING.

SamZED
Captain Marvel. This way I dont have to be immortal or superstrong all the time. Must suck having Supes strength 24/7. Accidently bump into someone and send him flying off the planet.

Damborgson
Thor only if I get mjolnir. If not then superman.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Damborgson
You would like to show off your hammer all the time?

snowdragon
It would be Surfer's powers all day long here.

As a GL you are going to be constrained by your will and I doubt anyones wills in RL are matching up to the comics plus I thought they needed to be charged.

The first thing I would do with the PC would be clean up all the pollution in the world and stop all the crazy mass murders in Africa on day one.....

Nova Prime would be second for me and then Magneto third, no Thor since it's not hammer time all the time.

society619
Thor....do know how many chicks I could bag with his powers?

In the words of Vegeta "First immortality....then the bitches!"

-Pr-
Do I have to take on their role too, or can I just have the power minus the responsibilities?

I wouldn't mind being a Lantern, but having to report to the smurfs and patrol an entire sector would just bug the shit out of me.

pym-ftw
Orange Lantern for me, I think it would bring out my eyes. Oh and kill Larfleeze

Well you asked for a reason

Stoic
Originally posted by Damborgson

You'd get the entire package.

Stoic
Originally posted by -Pr-
Do I have to take on their role too, or can I just have the power minus the responsibilities?

I wouldn't mind being a Lantern, but having to report to the smurfs and patrol an entire sector would just bug the shit out of me.

just the power set.

Stoic
I'd take the Flash all day day long. the idea of having a conversation as I ran around the world would be too cool.

society619
Can you imagine the epic bitchslaps you can give people with Thor's hammer?

http://pongaparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/HULK-VS-THOR.gif

And I get to strike people with lightning...can you say drunk with power? I could control DAY AND NIGHT!!!!!

janus77
Originally posted by Stoic

Superman
Thor
Magneto
A Lantern
Flash
Silver Surfer
Juggernaut
Captain Marvel (Billy)
Ultra Boy
Nova Prime
This is easy, Surfer's powerset. No question.

With his powers and some reasonable intelligence, you could replicate everyone else's powers (synthetic OdinForce!) or simply start absorbing infinite amounts of Cosmic energies and become pseudo-abstract.

-Pr-
just the power set.

Okay... Magneto, Superman or Lantern. In that order.

JakeTheBank
No Doom or Iron Fist?

For shame.

Harbinger
GL, Surfer, or Nova for me. Of those, give me the ring.

Newjak
Captain Marvel/Juggernaut/GL

Because as seen by both you can turn the powers down or completely off.

It would drive me crazy if I had to worry all the time about killing people just by breathing wrong.

For over all cool factor though I would probably go Surfer or Thor.

PillarofOsiris
If I decided to conquer the world, then I'd take Superman's. But like some people said, being that strong all the time has got to suck. I'd take the lantern ring because I could take it off and still have sex with a girl without ripping her in half.

Flyattractor
Cap Marvel/Gl/Flash..

Juggy seemed tempting but it you can't turn it off,it could stand the very strong possibllity of getting very old.

8swords
if i had flash powers. then i can litteraly rape every girl that i like... laughing laughing laughing

Mindship
His. ---> silversurferOriginally posted by Stoic
Oh and you don't have to look like them, you can look like yourself. I chose this option because not everyone in the world would want to be permanently silver.

Not a problem. I could, eg, turn into snow now and then.

pym-ftw
^creepy much

@ everyone choosing to be a lantern

Which color would you choose

janus77
I can't fathom why EVERYONE isn't choosing Surfer. It's the only powerset that is completely open-ended.

And all this business about turning off powers, Surfer can do that with ease (he did it for Alicia Masters, iirc).

Moreover, imagine the things you would understand, how cosmically your consciousness would be expanded. AND on top of that, you could SHARE that power with anyone (and everyone) you pleased.

You could literally evolve humanity to godhood (not the cheapo version either, the good stuff).

pym-ftw
Orange Lantern > Surfer

janus77
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Orange Lantern > Surfer
Surfer would probably be able to synthesize or even absorb the power-source (did it easily to Oan energies).

Also, you realise you're not fighting against other powersets, your powers are the only super-powers in the world...

pym-ftw
I believe in aliens, I wanna make sure I could kick there ass

abhilegend
GL ring is the ultimate weapon. Surfer has limits (got almost killed by absorbing a portion of sun), it doesn't.

janus77
I believe in aliens, I wanna make sure I could kick there ass
Then you definitely want Surfer's powers.

Simply a broken powerset, ANYTHING and everything can be done with it.

Surfer's only problem is that Marvel's lumbered him with a CIS heavy personality and tendency to job.

Remember, he can amp from more or less anything and he can trap beings in the microverse or on the astral plane.

Nothing should challenge him, really.

Glorificus
Surfer's powerset is the most broken and over-powered one.

So I'd pick that one.

janus77
Originally posted by abhilegend
GL ring is the ultimate weapon. Surfer has limits (got almost killed by absorbing a portion of sun), it doesn't.
laughing
Are you related to Quan?

You should take trolling lessons from the Thor/Thanos club. You're very rusty.

pym-ftw
Where has quan been I haven't seen him on

janus77
Where has quan been I haven't seen him on
They're probably going to start shooting Avengers 2 in a few months. Quan's got his sleeping bag and headed off to queue up for a job as gopher on that set.

Either that or he IS the Thor/Thanos Club.

abhilegend
Originally posted by janus77
laughing
Are you related to Quan?

You should take trolling lessons from the Thor/Thanos club. You're very rusty.
Well you are the expert in that area. Don't you have some thor threads to post in?

janus77
Well you are the expert in that area. Don't you have some thor threads to post in?
expert? I'm far too much of a dilettante to qualify.

You on the otherhand, clearly wear your undies OVER your trousers yes.

JakeTheBank
lol here we go

JakeTheBank
Also, for people afraid of hurting people accidentally with superstrength, I assume their powersets also have the power to regulate their strength much like how Superman can deal with normal people without killing them.

abhilegend
expert? I'm far too much of a dilettante to qualify.

You on the otherhand, clearly wear your undies OVER your trousers yes.
Rebooted. You on the other hand are probably just like your idol waistdown.

TheGodKiller
They're probably going to start shooting Avengers 2 in a few months. Quan's got his sleeping bag and headed off to queue up for a job as gopher on that set.

hysterical

Colossus-Big C
PHUCK! I voted superman when i was trying to vote silver surfer.

Pr go edit that shit

abhilegend
laughing out loud

janus77
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

Pr go edit that shit
I vote for C-B-C power!

not for myself, naturally.

pym-ftw
I just noticed no hulk carver is gonna flip

janus77
I just noticed no hulk carver is gonna flip
Too much power, the real universe wouldn't be able to cope with The GammaForce.

Best to keep things within some sort of limit.

JakeTheBank
Incredible Carter is cube level being on a bad day.

janus77
Rebooted. You on the other hand are probably just like your idol waistdown.
blue jeans? Yeah, I sometimes do wear them.

just to clarify, you're not actually a 7yr old in a superman costume sat in front of your dad's computer, are you?

'cos I think I might just have owned myself in that case confused

Blair Wind
If we are talking Pre-Crisis Green Lantern to Before Johns level powers with Kyle's ring (no 24 hr limit and no yellow weakness), and assuming I inherit a willpower like Hal Jordan's, then I'd pick the ring/lantern.

If we are talking After Johns nerfed them era powers, and none of the above, then Silver Surfer.

Newjak
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Also, for people afraid of hurting people accidentally with superstrength, I assume their powersets also have the power to regulate their strength much like how Superman can deal with normal people without killing them. It's not just about hurting people.

Imagine how boring life would be once you're able to survive Black Holes and visit far off places, and can't die. Where is the risk the excitement for living.

What do you have to gain in life anymore without a challenge. No one could hurt you, no one could destroy you, and I'm willing to bet almost everyone choosing a superman, thor, or silver surfer through sheer time would become so disillusioned with life and other people in general you would never be able to form a lasting relationship or have a relationship of any kind.

Plus most of those powersets come with enhanced mental facilities.

Surfer can see space and time, Thor and see the fabric of space and time, Superman has hyper reaction speed with hyper intelligence.

When you basically have all the answers and no one can engage you in any kind of debate because you're always right and they are always wrong.

Damborgson
You'd get the entire package. then thor for sure. A single indoor rain cloud over a victim of my choosing. Oh yeah.

Philosophía
Superman. Once I get around to controlling my powers, it wouldn't be any different than normal, except I could visit the moon between your blinks, or eavesdrop on what's going on in the nearest inhabited planet mid-discussion. If I really want to go fully normal (which, as I said, wouldn't be needed), I could always invent a red sun generating device (ie the one he made for Chris).

Originally posted by 8swords
if i had flash powers. then i can litteraly rape every girl that i like... laughing laughing laughing hilarious.

Originally posted by Newjak
Surfer can see space and time, Thor and see the fabric of space and time , Superman has hyper reaction speed with hyper intelligence. laughing out loud

Yeah, that Thor and his distracting time/space perceptions. I'd go crazy being him.

Estacado
GL.

Newjak

Astner
Thor's immortality is hard to resist.

Philosophía
I think you missed the entire point of that comment smile Why in the world would you want me to quote all of it since, once put in context of what you said, it becomes even more embarrasing for you? Let's see:

"Plus most of those powersets come with enhanced mental facilities.

Surfer can see space and time, Thor and see the fabric of space and time, Superman has hyper reaction speed with hyper intelligence.

When you basically have all the answers and no one can engage you in any kind of debate because you're always right and they are always wrong. "

I don't know what comics you've read, but Thor being an all-knowing being due to his space/time perceptions and enhanced mental faculties must be out of your special editions, right next to the JLA/Avengers one.

Thor (even if he has scattered feats of "science!"wink is functionally one of the dumbest persons on this thread.

Astner

Philosophía
Originally posted by Astner
intelligence is generally not categorized as one of Superman's superpowers. Originally posted by CosmicComet
http://goodfellamedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/pimpslap.gif

Astner
Oh, you're a Superman fanboy? Forgive my bluntness, I didn't intend to offend you.

CosmicComet
vin

Philosophía
Oh, you're a Superman fanboy? Forgive my bluntness, I didn't intend to offend you. You shouldn't apologize, your ignorance doesn't offend me.

Astner
I think we all agree on that Batman has the intellectual advantage over Superman. You'll grant me that, right?

Yet Batman is a human without any superpowers. I've not stepped on any feet so far?

So we have that since Batman's intelligence doesn't qualify as a superpower, neither should Superman's inferior intelligence quantify as a superpower.

Of course you could probably find evidence for Superman incredible intelligence, but it's not recognized by the norm. Hence not generally considered a superpower.

Newjak

CosmicComet
I think we all agree on that Batman has the intellectual advantage over Superman. You'll grant me that, right?

Yet Batman is a human without any superpowers. I've not stepped on any feet so far?

So we have that since Batman's intelligence doesn't qualify as a superpower, neither should Superman's inferior intelligence quantify as a superpower.

Of course you could probably find evidence for Superman incredible intelligence, but it's not recognized by the norm. Hence not generally considered a superpower.

Superman's brain works a shit ton faster than Batman's.

And that IS a superpower for him.

And subsequently why he's so smart, there's nothing he can't learn.

JakeTheBank
lol at people getting butthurt over other people's choices.

Philosophía
So we have that since Batman's intelligence doesn't qualify as a superpower, neither should Superman's inferior intelligence quantify as a superpower. Just because Batman is smarter than Superman, and his intelligence is not a superpower, doesn't mean that Superman's is not a superpower.

The same way Reed Richards being smarter than beings who have specifically had their intelligence enhanced as a superpower, doesn't make then...not have it as a superpower.

Did I...really just have to explain this to you?

Of course you could probably find evidence for Superman incredible intelligence, but it's not recognized by the norm. Hence not generally considered a superpower. Did you just make yourself the authority on whether or not Superman's incredible intelligence is recognized as a norm or not for the majority of time?

laughing out loud

Astner
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Superman's brain works a shit ton faster than Batman's.

And that IS a superpower for him.

And subsequently why he's so smart, there's nothing he can't learn.
I'll remind of that it's in this context of where normal people are able to open wormholes with a orange juice tins, and a flashlight.

Whatever intelligence you're talking of surely doesn't manifest itself properly in the light of Batman and Lex Luthor. Meaning that it shouldn't be considered a superpower, hence not part of the topic.

zopzop
Silver Surfer and I don't even think it's close (next runner up would be Superman though).

Think about it. You get all of the physical, offense, and travel abilities of the other powersets (more or less) AND you get some form of TP and healing abilities.

Need to destroy an asteroid hurtling toward Earth? Check. Want to travel to the far end of the universe in a flash? Check. Need to rescue people buried under tons of debris? Check. Need to discrete contact someone in the room without alerting anyone else? Check. Have a relative you love dying of some incurable disease and you want to save them? Check.

Surfer for the win.

Philosophía
I can't believe I actually took up the time to search for the scans but, well, here goes.

Paragon has the abilities to copy superpowers. He meets Superman. He copies his powers, including..

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/PhilosophiaKMC/paragonsuperintelligence.jpg

...super-intelligence.

Flyattractor
Silver Surfer has no Penis... So that has got to be a major factor in wheter men would choose him or not.

Astner

Newjak
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Silver Surfer has no Penis... So that has got to be a major factor in wheter men would choose him or not. According to the thread starter your appearance doesn't change. So it's just you with the Surfer's powers, you still get to keep your junk.

Philosophía
Let's say you picked Thor. You have the senses to see other dimensions, you can find the weak points in space and time itself using your godly senses as demonstrated in Astonishing Thor where he is the pocket universe running from Ego's brother. You can visit the Astral Plane if such a thing exists.

Let's also say you have reasonable intelligence, which I'm willing to give you and almost everyone else on this board the benefit of a doubt. We also know Thor can recall all of the memories of his vast lifetime.

So after the first 1000 years of you going about your immortal life learning things that no other possible human being could hope to figure out, I'm willing to bet there won't be a single human being that could possibly entertain you in a conversation or debate.

Just because Thor might not be as you say the smartest person in the thread does not invalidate the stance I was taking.

Of course you'll probably rinse repeat what you've already said, or if you actually decide to add something meaningful good for you. I'm not sure why you jumped from "Thor once saw a weak point in time/space" to "Thor will see things and figure out things no other human could!"

That scene doesn't prove anything other than what it showed - it doesn't prove that Thor can study and comprehend a plethora of phenomenons that humans could not, much less, by his lonesome, advance to a point where humanity's knowledge is uninteresting to him.

Superman and Silver Surfer have the showings to prove that their perceptions and mental abilities are so evolved that they'd easily surpass humanity in terms of comprehension and achievements. Thor seeing a weak point in time/space doesn't support shoving him in the same group with them. no expression

Newjak

Philosophía

BlackZero30x
Berry is my first choice. Captain Marvel is my second.

Starscream M
Because Thor has the means and the lifetime to figure this stuff out, and ability to keep it all recorded in his mind.

Do you really think you wouldn't be able to figure out most of the questions Human's ask with abilities like those?

You must not be as resourceful as I was giving you credit for no expression

Also just for reference Thor does come from a society that is often, not always, depicted as having advanced technology far beyond humans and he knows about those things just fine.

And Thor has feats showing he has godly senses that allow him the ability to know things Humans can not. just because you have time doesn't mean you can figure it out eventually

people are limited by their intellectual capacity

some people can literally study calculus for 10 years and still not get it

others might look at it for 3 weeks and understand it well

you can't assume thor, just because he has time, can eventually comprehend very complex things if he doesn't have that intellectual capacity to begin with

ODG

Philosophía
Because Thor has the means and the lifetime to figure this stuff out, and ability to keep it all recorded in his mind.

Do you really think you wouldn't be able to figure out most of the questions Human's ask with abilities like those?

You must not be as resourceful as I was giving you credit for no expression

Also just for reference Thor does come from a society that is often, not always, depicted as having advanced technology far beyond humans and he knows about those things just fine.

And Thor has feats showing he has godly senses that allow him the ability to know things Humans can not.

Just because you can remember what you've read and seen, doesn't mean that you're able to fully comprehend and advance in those areas beyond what humanity has done. You're confusing memory with intelligence.

Just because Thor can see "weak spots in space/time" doesn't mean he can suddenly percieve (nevermind, like discussed, comprehend and advance what he percieves) everything else the humans can't see - it just means that in that mini-series he was able to see weak spots in space/time in that odd dimension and...that's it.

If I give you perfect memory and immortality, you wouldn't be able to surpass humanity's technological achievements. It doesn't work that way, you're only as good as the technology of your time, never far ahead, especially not to the level where you'd be "bleh" at what humanity has achieved.

There are thousands of people, everyday, working in every area of technology, and more. Many more of them than you are and the vast, vast majority much smarter.

pym-ftw
You guys know reed has superintelligence as a part of his powers, he can stretch his brain so somehow that helps him store more information

Philosophía

Blair Wind
Hey guys, no one cares. Pick who you would want and leave it at that. You're arguing about something that has nothing to do with picking the powerset you want by trying to determine if intelligence is part of the package for someone else's pick.

Congratulations!! If you think super intelligence is a part of the fictional powerset you are never going to have anyways, then you just won a fictional super brain.

If you don't think intelligence or any variation of it is part of the powerset, I hope you enjoy the rest of your imaginary powerset while you daydream about how awesome it would be to have those powers.

Newjak

Newjak
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Hey guys, no one cares. Pick who you would want and leave it at that. You're arguing about something that has nothing to do with picking the powerset you want by trying to determine if intelligence is part of the package for someone else's pick.

Congratulations!! If you think super intelligence is a part of the fictional powerset you are never going to have anyways, then you just won a fictional super brain.

If you don't think intelligence or any variation of it is part of the powerset, I hope you enjoy the rest of your imaginary powerset while you daydream about how awesome it would be to have those powers. Or you could go with this Philo

ODG

Newjak
I'll just add Thor has a higher perception of reality than any human being. If you honestly feel you are not going to get smarter or know far more than any human being could ever figure out. I think you are sadly mistaken.

Philosophía
Actually you could beat out the smartest person in the world with that powerset.

Why because you have unlimited time to try every conceivable permutation of everything.

You also have resources at your command no Human Being could possibly have.

It wasn't just in that one arc he has Godly senses that allow him to perceive things no human being can do. Shifts in time/it's not like it's a one time deal.

Also yeah when you have such advanced magical abilities and technology in some cases that you can transmute matter from one thing to another yeah human technology is kind of bleh. I wish I could send the "you're not as resourceful as I thought" part back at you, but I already knew how resourceful you are, sadly.

While you try one permutation of what you've learned, there are thousands out there, trying thousands of other permutations, a big part of which you haven't even thought of because, even if you've read everything of that domain (we'll get to that part in a second), you're still one man, limited by your own intelligence. There are thousands out there smarter than you. One of them willl get the permutation faster than you. Then they'll move on, let the others know. Another round of permutations. You'll still be trying to find the right one for the first batch.

And that's just one area.

There's thousands of people, trying thousands of permutations, on dozens of areas.

You also have to start somewhere. You start reading. You go say into biology, and read whatever you can find. It takes you dozens of years to caught up with the time you started. By that time, there are dozens of others of materials that are out. That you must understand, in order to advance. While you're competing with thousands of other competent, more intelligent people trying to do the same things, in thousands of ways.

You can't even hope to surpass humanity in one domain, much less every one of them (biology, chemistry, physics, etc.).

We're also assuming that's all you do while you are Thor. Because if you're bouncing off all of the other things you're doing (going in space, touching yourself), it's even more stupid.

And this is all assuming one, big, ridiculous thing - that you're intelligent enough to comprehend everything you read, to a ridiculous degree (in the dozens of studying areas).

You've still failed to provide scans of Thor's senses beyond inconsequential "sense weak spot in space/time", by the way.

Newjak

Philosophía

BlackZero30x

Philosophía
*Yawn*

I have a magical hammer that allows me to do a million more things in one hour than any human being could hope to do in a lifetime.

I also have a higher perception of reality so by default I know more than any human being could possibly know. And I also have a degree of Super Reaction times that allow me to calculate things faster. Just because you have the hammer doesn't mean you're intelligent enough to know what to do with it, what type of permutations and experiments you have to do, in order to surpass the cummulated effort of thousands of others, in dozens of domains, that are smarter and constantly evolving.

It's like giving you a microscope and biology book, and you put the cover under it.

Your "higher perception of reality" amounts, up until now, "seeing weak spot in space/time", which doesn't say anything else, no matter how much you'd want it to. Certainly not to the level of where "you'd see things no human ever will". And then we get back to the intelligence/comprehension part, even if you se them.

I hope you're not suggesting Thor is now going to superspeed his way into advancing humanity, with that last part.

Also, you should lose the "yawn" attitude (not to mention your first "not as resourceful as I thought part), especially now that you're a mod. A position which I'm still wondering how you landed in.

Don't think the mod position will stop me from pointing out every stupid thing you say and make you owe up to it, though.

ODG

Newjak

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
Understanding can be a byproduct of superprocessing and superperception. And you ought to agree with this, since understanding has been, on-panel, a simple byproduct of superprocessing.

I don't see distinctions here. See, now you've changed terms. This is the first time you've used supreprocessing - which is what I'm talking about, processing/comprehending/understanding - as a superpower of his, when before, you said superprocessing is actually a by-product of his superspeed and superperception.

If you're using superprocessing in terms of his ability to comprehend the information he's receiving (input received through superspeed and perceptions) as a superpower, then we're on the same wavelength.

On the other hand, if you're saying that receiving information at superspeed through the super-perceptions (X-Ray etc.) is all that's needed for intelligence (ie superprocessing - the ability to actually understand and comprehend complex information), then that's idiotic.

Originally posted by ODG
That first scan also has Superman's mind flooded with "Memories, sensations, data, sensory input -- coming almost faster than I can handle it --" Obviously superprocessing of information (which I never argued must be a concentrated conscious effort -- especially when you have vast experience doing it) and superperception are at work, and by all rights appear to be the very basis for Superman's calculations. Yes, all that input comes from his perceptions and speed, but that doesn't make one intelligent. What makes him intelligent is his super-processing - the ability to process that information, and translate it into understandable data as an output - every balistic, vector and mass of each of Riot's bodies - and he doesn't even have to consciously analyze them, for his super-brain to translate and process it into that.

Time (superspeed) and information-retaining (super perception and memory) doesn't make one intelligent, they're only the inputs, what makes one intelligent is the ability to comprehend that information, even when it's extremly complex, which is a distinctive ability, one which is a superpower in itself for Superman.

Philosophía
MAGICAL Hammer. If Thor wants to see the effects of putting something X under something Y condition it's as easy as saying Hammer do it.

Geez I wonder how people ever figured anything out. Could it be they built up over time by trying different things and seeing what worked.

I wonder what someone with unlimited perfect memory, an unlimited amount of time and resources no one on planet Earth can duplicate could do stick out tongue

You're telling me being able to 'LOOK' at space/time and look for a weakness in it so he could punch a whole through it into the outer dimension it was located in doesn't give someone a higher perception of the world around them? That somehow is not an advantage a human being could not duplicate?

Hell I would advance Humanities understanding of the cosmos and space/time and how the universe is represented by magnitude's of order in the first hour I had my abilities.

I like how you some how think you are like exposing me to the world or something stick out tongue

If you don't know what you're searching for, then you don't know what to tell your hammer to do. In order to know what you search for, you have to attain enough knowledge about the domain you're doing to research in (dozens of domains with a zillion sub-domains), be smart enough to understand what you've just read and have the intelligence to know what to do next (ie. thousands of exploratory tests, or other) in order to advance that field.

Unfortunately for you, the actual intelligence is not there - you have just time and memory, time in which you can't even read enough to catch up with present-day advancements in every field. Not only that but, in those same fields, there are dozens of people working, simultaneously, performing every test you never thought of, succeeding, moving on to the same test, rinse and repeat until the end of humanity.

You'll never catch up to them, in any main area. Surpassing them to the point where you can't take it any more is, frankly, laughable.

Seeing a weakness in space/time is just that - seeing a weakness in space time. Saying "but doesn't that imply much more?!?!" doesn't suddenly mean that Thor is able to percieve everything Superman and Surfer do, not even close. It doesn't mean anything other than what it showed.

I'm not exposing you to the world, many already know "how resourceful" you are.

Falcon Man
Thor or Superman's powers would be cool to have but if I had to choose it would be Magneto's power-set.

Because I would get the chance to act like a cartoonishly evil version of Magneto. And by God, would I milk it for all it's worth.

*cue thunder and lighting*

"All of the pies. I WILL HAVE ALL OF THE PIES AND CAKE! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

ODG

"Id"

Shaman X-Man.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
Superprocessing is superspeed. Ability to think faster. We're not talking about how fast, we're talking about processing/understanding information. We already established that Superman has superspeed (the ability to read vast amounts of information in a short time), super-memory (the ability to store that information for undefined periods of time) and super-perception (X-Ray vision, microscopic vision etc.). That was never in doubt. But those serve for the input, what we're talking about is his ability to process/comprehend/understand that information - his superprocessing - no matter how complex (superspeed is present here, too, but not in the way that it affects his ability to process that information, but only in the time it takes to do so - which, if the intellectual/super-brain ability isn't present, is inconsequential, no matter how much time/how fast you are)

I can give an idiot a book explaining complex quantum physics equations, but even if he has a vast amount of time, even if he gets to the point where he remembers what's written on every page, he still wouldn't understand the why, or be able to apply that, to evolve it, because he simply doesn't have the intellectual capacity.

You can even give the kid superspeed, and nothing will change. smile

Originally posted by ODG
DCnU Superman superprocessed medical dictionaries to perform difficult surgery. He didn't just intuit how to perform surgery on Lois simply by looking at her body with x-rays and trying to deduce how to heal her with sueprspeed. Various Flashes have pretty much learned whatever they've wanted to learn the same way.

Of course. But I'm not sure why you felt the need to point this out, since nobody said otherwise. Knowledge is obviously needed - but the information is just input, the fact that he understood everything he read and then applied it, is what matters as far as intelligence is concerned.

The same way his super-intelligence helps him recognize Bloodsport's balistics, or Riot's vector and mass, instinctively, without even consciously analyzing and processing the data. The same way he can comprehend complex kryptonian mechanisms, or Batman tech - and be able to improve on it. That's his super-brain at work, and that super-brain is not soley dependent of speed, memory and senses.

Originally posted by ODG
And again, Superman in his current state is supersmart (inherently or functionally). There is no distinction worth a difference there. But Superman doesn't get inherently dumber as he depowers or inherently smarter as he amps. I don't see how you can espouse such a position when neither has ever occurred on-panel. ] There's literally a scan we just talked about in which, after his super-intelligence kicked in, his understanding of the things around him sky-rocketed compared to his normal self.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/PhilosophiaKMC/upgrades1.jpg

no expression

There's also Paragon using Superman's "brainpower" superpower, and having a better understanding of things.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/PhilosophiaKMC/paragonsuperintelligence.jpg

It's actually a superpower that increases intelligence - ie. the ability to understand and apply.

ODG

h1a8
This is a hard one.
Everyday I pretend I'm whirling Thor's hammer (that's right I love Mjolnir).

It's between Superman and Silver Surfer

With Surfer I can heal others, create force fields, cosmic awareness, absorb most energy and matter.

With Superman I have instant speed, fast thinking speed, super learning.

Is Silver Surfer immortal?
Can Superman live indefinitely (if he sundips)?

Mindset
I'd choose w/e power let's me shut off Phil's computer from my chair.

leonidas
in theory, ss's. but clark's would be very close, imo. then flash and gl for me.

Galan007
Assuming I had the means to recharge it(or didn't have to recharge it) I'd pick the GL ring.

Second choice would be Superman, followed by Flash.

zeel
captian marvel by far. There is no need for a mask, and you can turn your powers on and off at will.

Mindset
SS can do everything everyone can do and more.

zeel
Originally posted by Mindset
SS can do everything everyone can do and more.

Billy will pick up mor chicks then surfer. No chick wants a silver ding dong.

Mindset
You aren't SS, you just have his powerset.

You can make yourself look like w/e you want. Actually, SS should be able to do that, I think he has in the past.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by h1a8
This is a hard one.
Everyday I pretend I'm whirling Thor's hammer (that's right I love Mjolnir).

It's between Superman and Silver Surfer

With Surfer I can heal others, create force fields, cosmic awareness, absorb most energy and matter.

With Superman I have instant speed, fast thinking speed, super learning.

Is Silver Surfer immortal?
Can Superman live indefinitely (if he sundips)?

Neither Surfer or Superman will die of old age if that's what you're asking. Though being immortal doesn't sound appealing, tbh.

Tar-Antado
You can do just about anything with the Norrin's powerset. I would love to explore the universe like he does.

Mindset
Neither Surfer or Superman will die of old age if that's what you're asking. Though being immortal doesn't sound appealing, tbh. You could just kill yourself, you big baby!

JakeTheBank
You could just kill yourself, you big baby!

I don't have Bane's permission to die yet.

Galan007
Originally posted by zeel
No chick wants a silver ding dong. Originally posted by Mindset
Silence, virgin.

JakeTheBank
Your sig/avi are pretty badass, Galan. laughing out loud

ColossusGrundy
Green Lantern ring = emulate the others' powers.

The more you use it, the better your willpower gets, the better you get at it.

Galan007
Your sig/avi are pretty badass, Galan. laughing out loud TY.

Btw, I just want to put it on record that after 'Space Punisher' is wrapped up, Doom and Fist will undoubtedly have to share their godhood with Punisher. Hell, it's only 2 issues in, and I'm tempted to place him on their throne NOW...

Mindset
Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

JakeTheBank
Maybe Frank can start off as a herald of Doom Fist, much like TOAA is.

Galan007
You're right. I'll give it the last 2 issues before I make such a claim.

As of now, here is the hierarchy:

Doom/Fist
Space Punisher/God
50 miles of shit
Everyone else.

Mindset
Originally posted by Galan007
You're right. I'll give it the last 2 issues before I make such a claim.

As of now, here is the hierarchy:

Doom/Fist
Space Punisher/God
50 miles of shit
Everyone else
Aquaman thumb up

JakeTheBank
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/Letmethinkaboutit.gif

Mindset
I'm sure even Aquaman would give that post a standing ovati...

Never mind.

Inhuman
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
I'd take the lantern ring because I could take it off and still have sex with a girl without ripping her in half.

I hear you. I have that problem and I don't have any super powers.

Shabazz916
Superman. Ill be thE best football player that ever livEd

the ninjak
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Superman. Ill be thE best football that ever livEd

You wanna be kicked by Supes?

Shabazz916
Originally posted by the ninjak

Huh ???

the ninjak
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Superman. Ill be thE best football that ever livEd
Originally posted by the ninjak

Shabazz916
It says what power set would i choose.

Where are you getting this kicked stuff from ??

DarkSaint85
.....The fact that you're a football?

-Pr-
WTF @ thread...

anyway:

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

Pr go edit that shit

lol, no.

golem370
So by powerset you mean like this

Silver Surfer- The Silver Surfer wields "the power cosmic", absorbing and manipulating the universe's ambient cosmic energies. He can augment his strength to incalculable levels, and is almost totally indestructible. He can navigate space, hyperspace and dimensional barriers, and can fly at near-limitless speeds on his board, entering hyperspace when he exceeds light speed. He has even proven capable of time travel on occasion. The Surfer does not require food, drink, air or sleep, sustained entirely by converting matter into energy. He is immune to temperature extremes and most radiation, and can survive in vacuum environments such as outer space and hyperspace. He can analyze and manipulate matter and energy, and restructure or animate matter at will, even transmuting elements. He can heal living beings (though he cannot raise the dead), and has proven capable of revitalizing or evolving organic life on a planet wide scale. He can alter the size of himself or of other matter, cast illusions, fire energy blasts, form and manipulate energy constructs, manipulate gravity, absorb and discharge most forms of energy, and phase through solid matter. His senses enable him to detect objects and energies light years away, and to perceive matter and energy in subatomic detail; he can even see through time, and with concentration can achieve limited perception of past and future events in his general vicinity. The Surfer has demonstrated limited telepathic ability on occasion, and has proven able to influence human emotion and sensation.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Silver_Surfer#ixzz23J0SP9hY

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
Your statements don't serve as arguments here. You can say that superspeed reading can't grant you understanding or the ability to apply or innovate. But frankly, comic books have never established any such precedent or delineation. And you'd have to look to comics for such strict delineation because shallow examples from real life are as vacuous as they are deconstructable. Make dumb jocks watch film and study football formations and even they can start exploiting gaps in offense and become coaches/coordinators. You're right, silly me for using logic and real life.

Unfortunately for you, even in comics, superspeed/memory and intelligence are distinct things - unless you're now trying to argue that Bart Allen's intelligence is superior to Bruce Wayne's, or any other genius in DC who doesn't have superspeed?

Originally posted by ODG
Superman isn't the only superspeedster that's read crap at superspeeds and immediately applied what they learned. Your point being?

Originally posted by ODG
You've talked past everything I've stated. Well, that's ironic.

Originally posted by ODG
I've already addressed how "Memories, sensations, data, sensory input -- coming almost faster than I can handle it --" was quite literally, the very basis for Superman's calculations. So too, do I feel no need to repeat myself for the third time that Superman's experience should make his calculations concerning trajectory, etc. far easier -- to the point of simple intuition like experienced street-levelers even or beyond. Yes, there needs to be input data in order for the output to exist. I'm not sure what you think you're saying something revolutionary.

Street levelers now have super-brains that can precisely calculate the mass, vector and random balistics of opponents, and not even think about it? Your mind must be confussing "aproximating trajectories of bullets/attacks and dodging them" to "knowing the exact mass and vector of every bullet, ever fired at me, aswell as every one of its ballistics without even consciously wanting to".

I'll let that sink in for a while.

Just for emphasis, ODG is saying that this is something that this is standard experienced street-leveler stuff:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/PhilosophiaKMC/upgrades1.jpg

Originally posted by ODG
And, even assuming that Paragon's abilities are purely superpower-based, it is further unnecessary to reiterate that brainpower can easily be a reference to processing speed like computing power. You're now trying to cast a shadow of a doubt over Paragon's abilities, to undermine that scan, while being completly baseless? Oh, dumby. That's cute. Come here, I'll give you a hug.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Paragonpowers.png

So in your mind, "super-brainpower" doesn't reffer to "super-intelligence" but actually to...the speed at which he percieves the information? Having more time to, for the lack of a better word, stare at it? Or perhaps you're again, using/hiding behind different words ie. 'processing speed' instead of intelligence - which is what it takes to process information, understand, apply and evolve it, because by doing so you'd admit your stance for what it it - laughable?

If I post a scan where Superman directly used "super-brainpower" instead of "intelligence", will you eat dog poop with cherry flavored cream on top?

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_superbrainintelligence1.jpghttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_superbrainintelligence2.jpg

Do I also need to mention that scene takes place exactly 3 pages before the one I posted early, which conclusively proves that his intelligene is a superpower?

I still can't believe somebody would ever think that speed and memory are the same thing with intelligence. Baffling, really.

Originally posted by ODG
But Superman doesn't get inherently dumber the more he gets depowered. Functionally, yes. He cannot superprocess scenarios and information provided by his supersenses at high speeds. But he doesn't get inherently dumber or vice-versa. If that's the difference in opinion here, I'm happy basing mine off of evidence and leaving you with your own opinion. Since his super-brain is directly, and repeatedly attributed to greatly enhancing his understanding of complex technology and more, blatantly being put in contrast with what he normally was beforehand, it's safe to say that his intelligence is greater - since it's blatantly shown in comics that it is, even going as far as having other characters steal his powers and going smarter.

But you can keep believing stupid things like speed and memory being what makes a guy intelligent.

ODG

Zack Fair
Surfer.

Best powerset there is. He can pretty much do anything with the PC

MF DELPH
Pretty much.

Surfer would be my choice. Practical applications (being able to create structures like houses and other items in seconds via PC which are actual matter and not just green energy constructs, telepathy for dealing with other people, etc), as well as things like space travel and what not. Also able to sustain yourself on ambient energy alone and not have to worry about eating, getting sick, etc.

dmills
Just power sets? Surfer or Nova.

celeyhyga17
A green lantern ring. It can do ANYTHING.

but everything u do is green... bleh..

I'd take Surfer's powerset. U can REALLY do ANYTHING...

psycho gundam
surfer uses his willpower to NOT do things with his abilities

Endless Mike
Silver Surfer. Lets me do more stuff.

DarkSaint85
Silver Surfer. So I can see myself in my crotch.

Philosophía
edit.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
I was mildly interested in this conversation three weeks ago back when it was constructive and not your vagina bleeding over people not recognizing that Superman is inherently super intelligent only because of his powers, rather than functionally. This discussion has been constructive on my part but, unfortunately for you, it has been blatantly heading since the very start, with impressive velocity, to the point where the stupidity of what your saying is so 'in everybody's face', that you're force to backtrack into "I loved this discussion weeks ago, but now you're strawmanning (my favorite word)".

Originally posted by ODG
This strawman is particularly dumb. I can't tell anymore whether that's intentional or not. Batman can take a few seconds and apply his accumulated knowledge of advanced forensics in seconds to a crime scene. Wally needs only moments with forensic books/encyclopedias to do the same. Batman does it more instinctually and naturally. Wally has to do it more laboriously (relative to his perception of time). The result ends up being more or less the same. I love how you try to narrow it down to a small area - forsenics, in order to justify your asinine stance that "speed + memory make up intelligence", while at the same time saying what is, without a doubt, one of the most asinine things in the history of this board.

You're saying that Flash is functionally as intelligent as Batman. That all he needs is to read some books, and he'll get the same result, just because he's fast and has memory.

According to your thought pattern, there's no such thing as intelligence - all you need is time and memory - making the superspeedsters super-geniuses on-par with Batman (and more), apparently.

laughing out loud

I should just call you dumb and move on, but this is too much fun.

Originally posted by ODG
That superspeedsters that don't even have supersenses have displayed functional superintelligence via superspeed processing. A fact that chafes I'm sure, because it makes Superman a lil bit less special. Please, point me out to where superspeed and memory have by their lonesome propelled a speedster to genius level.

Now.

smile

You're also seemingly turning this into me being mad about other people being able to do what Superman does - which is not in discussion, but nice attempt at mis-direction.

No, this discussion is about you saying that superspeed and memory are what make up intelligence.

You know, another one of the dumb shit you keep saying.

Originally posted by ODG
So somebody like Cap's never instinctually understood the ballistics, firepower, vector, speed, mass, resistance, random other factors necessary enough to perform a feat like deflecting a fired bullet off his shield, rebounding it off other surfaces, then back onto an opponent? Cap doesn't consciously perform random calculations in his head to do this. He just does. He knows how powerful a gun is, knows the speeds, angles... oh, wait... I'm just patronizing you with the completely obvious at this point.

Anyway, my superundies don't bulge when Superman starts remembering the data he's accumulated concerning bullet calibers, starts processing vectors almost unconsciously and remembers Pete's favorite malt. One one hand, there's the experienced street levelers, who sees projectiles and aproximates how to position himself in order to dodge it, or to deflect it precisely.

On the other hand, there's Superman, who sees the projectile, and knows the exact mass, vector and ballistics of the projectile, without even consciously thinking about it or making the calculations.

How should I explain this in terms you understand.

Imagine we're playing pool.

There's you. You're pretty good. You explain to me that if you hit the green ball with the white ball in the left corner, it will direct it towards the hole. Maybe you'll even tell me that you can do better. You can hit the red ball with the white one, then the red one will hit the green one, and then it will go into the hole. This comes easy for you, you've played before, you don't even have to think too much about how you'll hit the white one - it comes naturally.

Now, I get up from the seat. I didn't really listen to much of what you said, because I knew you liked hearing yourself talk, and that bores me. I'm completly disinterested in what's going on, I take a glance at a table. Then, instantly. I tell you the mass of the white ball, the red and green one. In fact, I tell you the mass of all the balls on the table. Even the mass of the table and cue themselves. Then I tell you, precisely, the speed of the white ball if I hit it. Its vectorial direction, the precise energy it will hit the green ball with, how that will affect it, and how that in turn will affect the red one. Then I tell you the exact velocity the red ball will have when it falls into the hole. Remember, I didn't even think about any of that. I didn't even try to make the calculations in my head. My brain is so ridiculously intelligent, that I need but a glance, and everything is understood, completly.

That's in a nutshell, the difference between what high street levelers are doing, and what Superman does.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
Actually I'm just recalling what I read of him and how Paragon duplicated Black Canary's martial arts skills in his original fight with the JLA. Not exactly a superpower but accumulated knowledge. /shrug Let me get this straight.

You're using a Paragon from a different Universe (pre-Crisis), to make a point about the one in discussion here (post-Crisis), who is clearly, and repeatedly stated zero in on power signatures and copy metahuman powers, not including the knowledge (otherwise not even having needed Superman's super-intelligence to figure out what Superman knew in the first place)?

haermm

Oh, dumby.

Originally posted by ODG
I've answered this question before. Feel free to stop repeating yourself. Super computers are "super" because of processing speed. Speedsters who aren't naturally geniuses or insanely educated can imitate their talents or apply such knowledge immediately via super reading. There's a difference between repeating oneself, and cornering a moron who hides behind terms, to mask the stupidity of his own argument.

Processing information implies understanding it. In order to understand it, intelligence is needed. Superspeed and memory is not enough for that. You can read all of the information in a book, and remember all that information, but unless you have the intelligence so understand and apply it, it's useless. That's why superspeed and memory are not enough to make one intelligent, even in comics. That's why Bart Allen isn't smarter than Batman. And that's why you're a moron for believing otherwise.

Simple? Yes.

Originally posted by ODG
I honestly do not even see where, beyond getting punched in the mouth and missing with heat vision, Superman is directly using "super brainpower" instead of "intelligence." I think you've just confused yourself. At the very least, you're not being clear with whatever point you're trying to make. You can't be serious, can you?

Wh--

laughing out loud

That example wasn't to show Superman using super-intelligence. It was to show that Superman substitutes intelligence with super-brain, which directly preceeds the scene where Paragon uses Superman's superpower ie. his super-brain, in order to recognize a mechanism.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_superbrainintelligence1.jpghttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_superbrainintelligence2.jpg

I--I actually have to translate scans, because you can't understand them. Astonishing, really.

Scene-by-scene:

Paragon is delusional about what he'll do to the superhero population.
Superman makes a joke about his intelligence, using brainpower.
Superman: You really think it's going to happen that way? And you're using my brainpower - magnified, no less? Really, Paragon -- I must be not as smart as I thought!

I need to write you the conclusion? Of course I do.
super-brainpower = intelligence.

Ta-dam.

Originally posted by ODG
We both recognize Superman as super intelligent. I think it's a functional byproduct of of him applying his Kryptonian powerset. You think it's a natural product of his Kryptonian powerset. A distinction without a difference except a few important ones: (i) you believe that Superman gets inherently dumber as he gets depowered and gets super-geniuser as he amps; and (ii) apparently all Kryptonians are inherent super-geniuses.

Obviously, you have no proof of either proposition. Why would I need to prove all kryptonians are super-geniuses, when Superman is in discussion, and I've already proven that his powers give him super-intelligence, with a plethora of evidence, both direct (pertaining to his showings) and indirect (his power being stolen, and the other character specifically gaining super-intelligence)? Superman himself didn't have super-intelligence in the post-Crisis era, until Infinite Crisis.

The fact that other kryptonians have or have not shown this ability, doesn't prove that Superman doesn't have it - when there's blatant evidence that he does.

Unless you're one dumb.

Then that could possibly happen.

DarkSaint85
Having superspeed and memory, surely doesn't make you intelligent?

Its like Kyle Rayner being given information on how to build alien tech. He doesn't understand what the hell it is he's creating, but through telepathy, he gets the schematics at the speed of thought (essentially, superspeed downloading) and he builds it (short term memory, like how Bart uses it).

Not quite the same as having an understanding of what he's building, which I would class as intelligent.

Philosophía
OneDumbGo would disagree. From where he comes from, superspeed and memory are all that's needed to make one a supergenius because, as everybody apparently knows, intelligence is nothing more than that.

dmills
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/untitled-351tjvu.gif

Frickin Phil and ODG lol.

Mindset
Originally posted by dmills
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/untitled-351tjvu.gif

Frickin Phil and ODG lol. I love it whenever they debate.

The condescension from both sides is palpable.

Also, Phil always loses because he has a stupid ava.

dmills
I love it whenever they debate.

The condescension from both sides is palpable.

Also, Phil always loses because he has a stupid ava.

If there's a such thing as reincarnation, they'd return as a conjoined twins. Abby and Brittany style.

h1a8
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Surfer.

Best powerset there is. He can pretty much do anything with the PC
+2
Surfer is the best choice IMO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.