Xavier vs Brainiac (Milton Fine)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/BRAINIAC_panic_in_the_sky.jpg

Who wins?

Golgo13
Feats for Brainiac?

Galan007
If he's got Warworld amping him, Brainiac wins. Without said amp, he is decisively below Xavier.

cdtm
He started off as an average to above average telepath, strong enough to hold Superman at bay and invade his thoughts, until Supes forced him back from his deepest secrets. (And Superman has a long history of resisting formidable TP. Even Martian Manhunter, under the same writer that had him sift the minds of everyone on Earth for specific information, couldn't locate him on Earth if he didn't want to be found.)

Than got upgraded with implants from Luthor.

With his upgrades, he TP KOed Superman.

He also TK KOed a large group of New Gods holding him prisoner, including Orion and Lightray.

His biggest feats are when he was jacked into Warworld though, which doesn't apply here..

cdtm
Originally posted by Galan007
If he's got Warworld amping him, Brainiac wins. Without said amp, he is decisively below Xavier.

I don't know, even without Warworld he was able to TP KO Superman.

Something even Manchester Black, for all his feats, couldn't really do.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the finishing blow came when he drew power from Lexcorp.

Still, he had Supes on the ropes before that.

Galan007
That era Superman, at least.

I'm just recalling the finale of Panic in the Sky-- after Brainiac's connection to Warworld was severed, Maxima effortlessly mindraped him. And personally, I rank Xavier's TP above Maxima's. /shrug

cdtm
One more thing:

He mentally dominated Dubblex, the Cadimus tp. All the way from Colu!

And Dubb was powerful enough to control Metron's mobius chair, which impressed the heck out of Metron (He doesn't impress easily.)

So he dominates and controls a powerful tp from lightyears away.

cdtm
That era Superman, at least.

I'm just recalling the finale of Panic in the Sky-- after Brainiac's connection to Warworld was severed, Maxima effortlessly mindraped him. And personally, I rank Xavier's TP above Maxima's. /shrug

This is true, but remember she also caught Brainiac off guard, as he was distracted by the severing.

He essentially got sucker punched.

And that era Superman also dealt with The Union, which was tapping into TP/TK power that ranged from a warehouse full of disembodied brains, to a moon/planet sized ship full.

Galan007
I just went back and looked. It wasn't really a cheap shot/sucker punch. Flash severed B's connection to Warworld -- B says something along the lines of: "I must hurry and reconnect to Warworld"(that was his only 'distraction') -- Maxima says: "FU, b*tch" and proceeds to mindrape him.

Scan:
http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj364/galanphotobook/th_maxima_telepathy27.jpg

cdtm
I just went back and looked. It wasn't really a cheap shot/sucker punch. Flash severed B's connection to Warworld -- B says something along the lines of: "I must hurry and reconnect to Warworld"(that was his only 'distraction') -- Maxima says: "FU, b*tch" and proceeds to mindrape him.

Right, and that's the distraction I'm talking about.

He sees his house of cards tumbling down, scrambled to re-jack himself in, and Maxima steps in and attacks him. (If you walk up to someone that's not expecting a fight, say "I'm gonna hit you now", and immediately punch his lights out while he's still processing the situation, that's as much of a sucker punch as blindsiding someone. wink )

His fault for disregarding her in the first place, as he probably also thought she was done for. But he obviously wasn't expecting a fight. His guard was down, she immediately initiated the fight, so she had the advantage.

Galan007
I think, when taken into context, it was quite obvious that Max was intended to be the superior telepath. If B would have still been more powerful than her after his connection to Warworld was severed, he wouldn't have been scrambling frantically to reconnect to it. He would have simply owned her/them, then reconnected.

cdtm
I think, when taken into context, it was quite obvious that Max was intended to be the superior telepath. If B would have still been more powerful than her after his connection to Warworld was severed, he wouldn't have been scrambling frantically to reconnect to it. He would have simply owned her/them, then reconnected.

I think he was more concerned with his TK shield going down, and getting swamped by the massed heroes, that he didn't even consider Maxima. Even if he beat her, he'd have lost.

Galan007
Originally posted by cdtm
I think he was more concerned with his TK shield going down, and getting swamped by the massed heroes, that he didn't even consider Maxima. Even if he beat her, he'd have lost. To each his own.

I personally still believe X would take this.

Arabus
The Brainiac from this era also mind controlled everyone on the L.E.G.I.O.N. roster in one of their annuals. The roster back then included Telepath, a good psionic character in his own right, and Lobo, a guy who has many feats of telepathic resistance. In addition, Brainiac did this while TP dueling Vril Dox over the entire population of Colu. Despite Vril's charisma program that made the Coluans follow him at a mere suggestion, Brainiac was able to mind control 2/3 of the population. He knocked out the other 1/3 that didn't cooperate.

Glorificus
Xavier wins decisively.

If Xavier could beat Shadow King, this Brainiac would be nothing but a speedbump.

cdtm
Originally posted by Arabus
The Brainiac from this era also mind controlled everyone on the L.E.G.I.O.N. roster in one of their annuals. The roster back then included Telepath, a good psionic character in his own right, and Lobo, a guy who has many feats of telepathic resistance. In addition, Brainiac did this while TP dueling Vril Dox over the entire population of Colu. Despite Vril's charisma program that made the Coluans follow him at a mere suggestion, Brainiac was able to mind control 2/3 of the population. He knocked out the other 1/3 that didn't cooperate.

Good call.

Not one of my favorite stories, so I completely forgot about it, but it did have a funny moment with Lobo fighting Superman under mind control, and when it's broken, he continues fighting without missing a step, much to Supes confusion.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past Lobo to never have been under mind control in the first place, and just use it as an excuse to fight. big grin

Delta1938
In the DEAD AGAIN storyline, we find-out that the coma that Maxima put him in allowed his powers to grow. He created an illusion that there was a body resembling Superman in his tomb that fooled the world. This illusion was so convincing that it showed-up in pictures and Professor Hamilton was actually able to gather data on it when he was comparing to see if it was really Superman or not, and the data and it showing-up in pictures stuck until Brainiac stopped the illusion.

He did this while still in the coma(well most of the time the illusion existed, he was in the coma), on another planet in another solar system. Oh yeah, and since that planet was New Genesis, he did this from another dimension, too.

Golgo13
Didn't Brainiac mind control an entire planet from another planet?

Arabus
Originally posted by cdtm
Good call.

Not one of my favorite stories, so I completely forgot about it, but it did have a funny moment with Lobo fighting Superman under mind control, and when it's broken, he continues fighting without missing a step, much to Supes confusion.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past Lobo to never have been under mind control in the first place, and just use it as an excuse to fight. big grin

Eh, as much as that might be in character for Lobo to fake being under mind-control as an excuse to fight Superman because it's funny, I think you've got to rule that out ultimately. When Vril Dox was on trial, and Lobo was getting out of order in the jury box (hurling insults at Dox I think), Brainiac mindzapped him to get him to sit back down with the rest of the L.E.G.I.O.N. Brainiac was that powerful back then. I mean, he punked out Metron in his Mobius chair in Panic In The Sky. Not even a green martian could do something like that.

Also, as far as Lobo being susceptible to telepathy, during this time in the L.E.G.I.O.N., Lobo would get pissed at Telepath for cheating at poker from what I remember. Considering Lobo's record against psionic characters with the whole Cosmic Rock Zombie Radio thing playing in his head 24/7 being a telepathic deterrent, that says something about both Telepath and Brainiac.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.