What is better dbz or bleach?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rikudo sennin
They both have the same type of story as It is all about
-Random powerups
-Plot holes
-Huge attacks
But which manga rides with this type of story better?
Is bleach a poor man dbz?
Or is dbz a poor man's bleach?

Q99
Neither is a poor man's either. The aspects in common are ones normal in the genre (save maybe plot holes. Though I don't find DBZ too bad in that area).

And DBZ is better done.

AuraAngel
Pretty much. Am finding it difficult to think of a bad or terrible plot hole in DBZ off that bat...which just means I can't think of any, not that they for sure don't exist.

But yeah, the DBZ cast of heroes and such are way more memorable and the fights are more engaging. DBZ is better than Bleach(and this is coming from a guy who is very lax on Bleach).

XanatosForever
BsMSiVn6vpQ

NemeBro
Bleach isn't a poor-man's DBZ.

It's a poor-man's Yu Yu Hakusho. estahuh

There was nothing particularly "random" about DBZ's powerups either. The Super Saiyan story as foreshadowed by every other line from Vegeta, Piccolo's powerup when merging with Nami was foreshadow by Guru in the Namek saga (He directly stated that, if Piccolo and Kami merged, he would crush Freeza), SSJ2 (and to an extent 3) were foreshadowed by the training to ascend beyond a mere SSJ, and I forget other powerups.

Q99
Lesse, there's the various near death-revive powerups, which always seem to provide just enough as needed.

Guru unlocking Krillin and Gohan enough for them to be useful.

Yadda yadda.

NemeBro
The ones that apply only to the Saiyans as an explicit part of their biology?

And liar. Krillin is never useful.

Rikudo sennin
Originally posted by NemeBro
Bleach isn't a poor-man's DBZ.

It's a poor-man's Yu Yu Hakusho. estahuh

There was nothing particularly "random" about DBZ's powerups either. The Super Saiyan story as foreshadowed by every other line from Vegeta, Piccolo's powerup when merging with Nami was foreshadow by Guru in the Namek saga (He directly stated that, if Piccolo and Kami merged, he would crush Freeza), SSJ2 (and to an extent 3) were foreshadowed by the training to ascend beyond a mere SSJ, and I forget other powerups.

The writing became awful after frieza saga which is where the story should have ended. No deaths mattered because of the stupid dragn balls and no matter what there would always be a new super saiyan transformation they would pull out of their ass. Granted there was some foreshadowing but overtime the power levels did not match and the writing became repetitive.

Zack Fair
Never watched Bleach but DBZ > Bleach

Q99
Originally posted by Rikudo sennin
The writing became awful after frieza saga which is where the story should have ended. No deaths mattered because of the stupid dragn balls and no matter what there would always be a new super saiyan transformation they would pull out of their ass. Granted there was some foreshadowing but overtime the power levels did not match and the writing became repetitive.

That's not plot-holes, though, that's just less good story.

AuraAngel
Which to be fair, Toriyama did know that. But when your pushed to keep it going, few options...

But the Dragon Balls do kinda kill the suspense.

Gecko4lif
Both are crap

The difference is one is nostalgia laced and one is a on going bout of explosive diarrhea

XanatosForever
I respectfully request that you close your promiscuous lips, sir.

deathcon27
i absolutely love dbz but bleach is awesome i mean in dbz no matter what happens they just fix it with the dragonballs and after the first appearance of the ssj then everyone can go ssj even trunks and goten as for bleach its u die ur screwed and since there not at the planet busting level its not like the whole planet blows up end of battle,bleach battles are never easy ones while in dbz (as much as i love it) wasted whole episodes on stupid things like powering up a kamehameha that doesnt do anything or all the stand offs also if u notice in dbz goku is almost always active in every fight and is rarely ever unable to participate for reasons like he was defeated while in bleach ichigo is actually dependent on others

NemeBro
The writing became awful after frieza saga which is where the story should have ended. No deaths mattered because of the stupid dragn balls and no matter what there would always be a new super saiyan transformation they would pull out of their ass. Granted there was some foreshadowing but overtime the power levels did not match and the writing became repetitive. Those aren't plot holes.

Q99
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Which to be fair, Toriyama did know that. But when your pushed to keep it going, few options...

Yea, the effects of needed to extend it were clear if you look for them.

I actually liked the Cell Saga the first big expansion, since it did have the 'passing of the torch' arc to it and both the Androids and Cell were good villains, but the Buu saga really suffered by the need to not only continue but also make Goku the lead again, regressing the story. Not only was it another extension in itself, but it was originally planned to end with Mystic Gohan being the one to beat Buu, not Goku's spirit bomb.

Especially when they got in the Namekian ones. Which he only introduced because the Freiza saga was originally going to be a near-TPK.

He really had to scramble to put things back together at the end of that.

AuraAngel
Originally posted by Q99
Yea, the effects of needed to extend it were clear if you look for them.

I actually liked the Cell Saga the first big expansion, since it did have the 'passing of the torch' arc to it and both the Androids and Cell were good villains, but the Buu saga really suffered by the need to not only continue but also make Goku the lead again, regressing the story. Not only was it another extension in itself, but it was originally planned to end with Mystic Gohan being the one to beat Buu, not Goku's spirit bomb.

Like the zillion designs for Androids/Buu forms.

I liked the Cell Saga too, for all it's problems. I also liked the Buu Saga because while I hate that Gohan ultimately achieves nothing in it(cept getting a future wife out of it I guess) for all the time focused on him, I did enjoy the fresh blood and how Mr. Satan saved the day so often. And Videl is my favorite Dragon Ball Girl. :T

Originally posted by Q99
Especially when they got in the Namekian ones. Which he only introduced because the Freiza saga was originally going to be a near-TPK.

He really had to scramble to put things back together at the end of that.

3 Wishes lulz!

I think he did a good job overall...except for the Gohan stuff. Dude literally didn't really do anything noteworthy. :T

Q99
Gohan did beat Cell. If the series ended there, or if Gohan had been the main hero of the Buu saga as planned, his arc would've fit.

AuraAngel
I meant for the end end. I know he beat Cell...

He was awesome when he beat Cell too. :T

Zack Fair
Complaining about Gohan doing shit...what the **** did Vegeta ever do besides being an arrogant and ignorant ******* who gets his ass beat by everyone?

F U Akira.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Complaining about Gohan doing shit...what the **** did Vegeta ever do besides being an arrogant and ignorant ******* who gets his ass beat by everyone?

F U Akira. Get the most character development and depth in the series?

That's one thing about the Buu Saga that was excellent: Vegeta finally admitting that Goku is just the better fighter.

Rikudo sennin
Originally posted by AuraAngel

But the Dragon Balls do kinda kill the suspense.

Yeah you would always know no death mattered which really pissed me off. But I felt bad for akira since he wanted to end with frieza but was pushed into making the cell saga and the shit that was the buu saga.

Those aren't plot holes.

Well those are just complaints of stupid story writing but actual plot holes were the hyperbolic time chamber and the contradicting power levels.

Zack Fair
Get the most character development and depth in the series?

That's one thing about the Buu Saga that was excellent: Vegeta finally admitting that Goku is just the better fighter.

That he did get.

Still annoyed how he simply got owned by everyone. I Remember back in high school thinking Vegeta would get to finish off one main bad guy at least once. Never happened. Still sore about it. Although him having the best lines ever in the show is great.

NemeBro
Well those are just complaints of stupid story writing but actual plot holes were the hyperbolic time chamber and the contradicting power levels. How is the hyperbolic time chamber a plot hole, and what power holes contradicted things?

Kuja9001
How is the hyperbolic time chamber a plot hole, and what power holes contradicted things?

Stop replying because he never provides proof.

Hanaoka
I would say bleach. the characters' name are not weird

vansonbee
LOL DBZ hands down!

Most other battle type shows, are major rip from DBZ

juggerman
This thumb up

Astner
Far be it for me to give a cop-out answer but they are good in their own respects. If I'm going to reread one over the other it's going to be decided by what I feel like reading at that time. I don't read Bleach for the same reasons that I read Dragon Ball.

Get the most character development and depth in the series?

That happen in the Cell saga.

Chapter 418, page 3 - 4.

http://i.imgur.com/EbCH0.png

http://i.imgur.com/fyxjW.png

Astner
Edit.

cdtm
Bleach just keeps going and going...

Toriyama knew when to call it quits.

Personally, I prefer early Dragon Ball though.. Give me a good cross up of Dr. Slump humor, and that DBZ fighting, over the ultra dramatic fight to the death stuff..

mastagambit
DBZ for me. The whole end of world suspense in each episode/season made the whole series epic. You always wanted to know what is going to happen,who will win in a fight,who is more powerful,will the earth blow up,etc,etc,etc.

atv2
DragonBall Z hands down! Their storyline was much more straightforward. We may may had times where it took DBZ two or three episodes to get to a point however it stayed on point whereas with Bleach the viewer could wait about ten to fifteen episodes for them to get the point. With the filler Arcs, it threw things off course. They really made a mess of the Arrancar Arc. Then they would put in more filler in between the Fullbring Arc. It made the story difficult to follow.

atv2
Originally posted by mastagambit
DBZ for me. The whole end of world suspense in each episode/season made the whole series epic. You always wanted to know what is going to happen,who will win in a fight,who is more powerful,will the earth blow up,etc,etc,etc. [/QUOTE

Also what kind of power they would have.

xtinataguba
bleach of course, more mature.

Q99
Originally posted by cdtm
Bleach just keeps going and going...

Toriyama knew when to call it quits.

Notably, he knew when to call it quits at *least* two times, it just didn't take at first ^^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.