Layne Staley vs William DuVall

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
While listening to Alice in Chains latest album Black gives way to blue, I noticed a strong similarity in the two singers. In my opinion I think DuVall has a clearer voice perhaps even stronger. Anyone else feel like Alice found the perfect front man?

Who would you say is the better vocalist?

Deathblow
It took a surprising amount of self-control for me to not close this thread on sight. How can you even suggest this person can hold a candle to Staley? Admittedly, his tragic passing generated the traditional, premature hype that surrounds artists who die whilst their career is still young, and it has rocketed him to that untouchable but rarely credible status shared by everyone from Buddy Holly to Amy Winehouse.

But in all seriousness, dude was one of the defining voices of a generation, and as unique a talent as any of the ''grunge'' era. DuVall should be commended for his courage, not many would risk their credibility by stepping into the shoes of an icon, and I appreciate his interpretation (rather than rebooting) of Staley's style, but come on. As talented a group of musicians as they are, Alice aren't Alice without Staley. Same way the Stones wouldn't be Stones without Jagger. DuVall is a tribute act, nothing more.

Good excuse to post this, though:
1t18suYTiGA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.