Iron Man 3 vs Man of Steel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
It's early but who do you guys think will make more money at the boxoffice domestically and world wide? 5 years ago I would have said Superman hands down but I think Downey jr. made Iron Man what it is and I actually think Iron Man 3 will beat out Man of Steel at the box office. These two movies actually come out in less than a year so the wait isn't that long!

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, IM3 ftw.

juggernaut74
Yea the last Superman film made only 391 million worldwide while Iron Man 2 made over 600.

BruceSkywalker
no contest, although Supes should be good, Iron Man 3 will be kick ass and make a ton of dough

the ninjak
Extremis will blow peoples minds.

Another Supes origin will garner results.

It's all about word of mouth and I3 will do it if the job is done right.
Superman is a character we all love but are used to.
Extremis Ironman is an evolutionary character + Stark's wisecracking wit.

There's no competition.

Golgo13
MOS might open in more markets world wide. Especially compared to the last Superman film, so it will make more money and with an all-star cast, might surprise a lot of people in the domestic total. IM 3 won't make 400M, probably around 300M, which Superman could do.

the ninjak
I see Ironman 3 netting big money once word of mouth gets out.
Extremis was a comic that resurrected peoples interest in comics and in Ironman as a character.
It propelled him into possible villain status and in 616 had him a world leader for a time.
Such an evolution in tech (I already no Inertial Dampeners are in play thank god) will get people exited. Especially the fans.

Golgo13
WOM can go both ways. MOS might have good WOM as well, which would garner more money for it. Way too early to tell. IM 2 didn't make that much more than IM 1. Especially with inflation hike.

srankmissingnin
Will be curious to see how much the success of the Avengers will bump the solo films, if at all.

For whatever reason I'm not super excited for IM3 at this point, the Superman trailers so far have been pretty meh too, but I want to see Michael Shannon (he is amazing) as Zod more than I want to see Kingsly's Mandarin... a lot more.

Golgo13
Kinglsy>Shannon. stick out tongue

srankmissingnin
Maybe 30 years ago. Kingsly is a hack now.

Golgo13
Yeah, not all his rolls are good, but he was awesome in Hugo. Shannon has never really impressed me much, but he should be good as Zod.

srankmissingnin
Shannon is great in Take Shelter.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Will be curious to see how much the success of the Avengers will bump the solo films, if at all.

For whatever reason I'm not super excited for IM3 at this point, the Superman trailers so far have been pretty meh too, but I want to see Michael Shannon (he is amazing) as Zod more than I want to see Kingsly's Mandarin... a lot more. I think these solo films will ride on the coat tails of the Avengers film and make some big money.

DARTH POWER
IM3 has the definitive advantage.

But I wouldn't count MOS out yet. With the return of Zod and Nolan's name attached to it, there may be some hype and interest. All depends on the quality of the script though.

Kazenji
Zack Snyder can be a good director see his Dawn of The Dead remake

and also he just needs to cut back on the slo-mo.

Cogito
Maybe 30 years ago. Kingsly is a hack now.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif

Decepticon
I don't know about money and box office but I'm really looking forward to both these movies!!!

abhilegend
MOS definitely. Downey can take a movie only so far, even SR made 400 millions which was boring as phuck. The hype of MOS is crazy. For those who hasn't seen the ACTUAL teaser, here's a link
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/?action=view&current=mosmp4-YouTube.mp4

tkitna
Funny enough, none of my friends have any interest in it at all. More then one stated they are sick of DC remaking nothing more than Batman and Superman films. I'll go see it, but i'm getting to that point too.

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by abhilegend
MOS definitely. Downey can take a movie only so far, even SR made 400 millions which was boring as phuck. The hype of MOS is crazy. For those who hasn't seen the ACTUAL teaser, here's a link
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/?action=view&current=mosmp4-YouTube.mp4 Where is this hype?

I don't know a single human being who is interested in a new Superman movie.

DARTH POWER
I'm also curious about this Hype.

IM3 has Downey and the success of Avengers backing it up.

Superman Returns has to fight the lack of excitement for Superman on the big screen after the abysmal SR.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Iron Man, definitely. I hope Superman does well and his movie is good. If DC f*cks this up, they're officially hopeless.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Where is this hype?

I don't know a single human being who is interested in a new Superman movie.
Ok, you don't. Don't project your thoughts over others.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by tkitna
Funny enough, none of my friends have any interest in it at all.

Same here.

Kazenji
Originally posted by tkitna
Funny enough, none of my friends have any interest in it at all. More then one stated they are sick of DC remaking nothing more than Batman and Superman films. I'll go see it, but i'm getting to that point too.

Didn't realise DC has their own movie studio now.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Kazenji

Since when?

Edit - Oh wait, your being sarcastic.

BruceSkywalker
teaser trailer for Iron Man 3 arrives on tuesday.. In the meantime heres a teaser..

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/21/iron-man-3-sneak-peek-trailer-video

Golgo13

Yeah, it's really ANNOYING when people say, "DC" like they have their own studio. WARNER BROS is a MASSIVE studio that produces more than one genre of movies. Which is why they don't have (nor will they ever) multiple DC properties released on the big screen.

I mean seriously, whenever someone at the comic con asks whether or not their will be a JLA movie or a Titans live action movie, Dan Didio just says, we don't handle that area. Or we're just the comic business. Pretty simple, actually.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Iron Man, definitely. I hope Superman does well and his movie is good. If DC f*cks this up, they're officially hopeless.

thumb up The success of Avengers is what's really gonna send people to go see IM3 in droves.

Golgo13
I don't think IM will make 400 M. I could be wrong, but IM 2 didn't do as well as IM and movies generally do less as they go along. It will probably do better overseas compared to the other IM films, though.

juggernaut74
I think IM 3 is gonna be huge due to the Avengers tie-in.

Golgo13
We'll see. 400 M is actually a hard number to obtain, even with inflation. I see IM 3 getting around 350M, which wold be an improvement from IM 2.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Golgo13
I don't think IM will make 400 M. I could be wrong, but IM 2 didn't do as well as IM and movies generally do less as they go along. It will probably do better overseas compared to the other IM films, though.

Iron Man 2 made almost 40 mil more than the original Iron Man...

ares834
He's talking about the domestic gross hence 350 mil.

And in the US, IM 1 did slightly better than 2.

Golgo13
Iron Man 2 made almost 40 mil more than the original Iron Man...

No, it didn't. Domestically it did worse.

Edit, yeah, if you count WW, but I was talking only domestically.

srankmissingnin
The domestic difference between the two films is only a couple of million. That's barely even worth talking about.

The third one will probably make more then the first two by nature of the 3d ticket boost alone.

JakeTheBank
Iron Man 3 is probably going to be the best one yet. Extremis + Mandarin = Win.

BruceSkywalker
Iron Man 3 will rock from beginning to end.. won't be surprised at all if it make $500 million worldwide

No, it didn't. Domestically it did worse.

Edit, yeah, if you count WW, but I was talking only domestically.

with this possibly be the last time people see Robert Downey, Jr as Tony Stark/Iron Man that alone should drive this to huge numbers both here in the states and overseas

srankmissingnin
Robert Downey Jr said he'd be happy only doing Iron Man and Sherlock films until he retires. Marvel will have him in the IM suit as long as the possibly can. Avengers 2 is a certainty.

Golgo13
The domestic difference between the two films is only a couple of million. That's barely even worth talking about.

The third one will probably make more then the first two by nature of the 3d ticket boost alone.

6M, but I forgot about the 3-d boost. I said it will make more, but I don't see it crossing the 400M mark.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
teaser trailer for Iron Man 3 arrives on tuesday.. In the meantime heres a teaser..

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/21/iron-man-3-sneak-peek-trailer-video

Wow. Even that's got me excited!

I'm betting on $700mill worldwide. Who knows maybe more!

BruceSkywalker
Robert Downey Jr said he'd be happy only doing Iron Man and Sherlock films until he retires. Marvel will have him in the IM suit as long as the possibly can. Avengers 2 is a certainty.

it would be nice as i really can't see another actor portray him the way Robert has

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Wow. Even that's got me excited!

I'm betting on $700mill worldwide. Who knows maybe more!

thats a distinct possibility

DARTH POWER
From the trailers I'm defo more excited for IM3.

But MOS isn't really showing much at all. And they don't seem to be doing much to build hype for it.

BruceSkywalker

But MOS isn't really showing much at all. And they don't seem to be doing much to build hype for it.

they'll prolly kickstart the hype soon enough

juggernaut74

But MOS isn't really showing much at all. And they don't seem to be doing much to build hype for it. I agree. Although we didn't see a full trail for MOS yet.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I agree. Although we didn't see a full trail for MOS yet.

i suspect a new trailer for Man of Steel might be with The Hobbit

DARTH POWER
If they were smart they would have put a teaser trailer with TDKR. The complete lack of hype for MOS is worrying.

JayDaDon
They put the teaser teaser with tdkr. The one that doesn't show much. But at this point they really should be showing more.

super pr*xy
once the hype machine gets going on the man of steel, we will be flooded with everything superman.. i hope they market MOS right.. just look at what happened to dredd.. i think IM3 will be a bigger box office though..

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by super pr*xy
once the hype machine gets going on the man of steel, we will be flooded with everything superman.. i hope they market MOS right.. just look at what happened to dredd.. i think IM3 will be a bigger box office though..

Originally posted by JayDaDon
They put the teaser teaser with tdkr. The one that doesn't show much. But at this point they really should be showing more.

i read a while back that a trailer for Man of Steel might be attached to The Hobbit Also not sure if you guys are football fans but I'm expecting WB to show a trailer during the Superbowl as well

Golgo13
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i read a while back that a trailer for Man of Steel might be attached to The Hobbit Also not sure if you guys are football fans but I'm expecting WB to show a trailer during the Superbowl as well

The Hobbit? Are you serious? I'll definitely watch the movie in the theaters, because of this. Hobbit should be good, anyway.

JakeTheBank
http://nerdbastards.com/2012/11/06/michael-shannon-wont-say-kneel-before-zod-in-man-of-steel/

Well, all my hopes in this movie have been dashed.

Galan007
Well. That's phucking gay.

JakeTheBank
thumb up

Golgo13
Meh nit the end of the world. Michael shannon doesnt need to say that quote to be an awesome villain.

BruceSkywalker
The Hobbit? Are you serious? I'll definitely watch the movie in the theaters, because of this. Hobbit should be good, anyway.

yep

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
http://nerdbastards.com/2012/11/06/michael-shannon-wont-say-kneel-before-zod-in-man-of-steel/

Well, all my hopes in this movie have been dashed.

im not so sure if thats true however i will wait and see the film

DARTH POWER
Ah who cares about the line? It's the plot, action sequences and acting that are going to make or break the movie. Not that infamous line..

Kazenji
Meh nit the end of the world. Michael shannon doesnt need to say that quote to be an awesome villain.

Agreed, That's more of a Terrance Stamp thing.

CrazyDave
Ironman 3 for sure. But i can't wait for both.

juggernaut74
This just a little closer imo. WB has announced Man of Steel will be realeased in 3D also.

BruceSkywalker
This just a little closer imo. WB has announced Man of Steel will be realeased in 3D also.

guess they want that extra $5-6 bucks from people

Golgo13
NEW Trailer with the new Hobbit movie!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697714/man-of-steel-trailer-hobbit.jhtml

juggernaut74
The Nolanesque style trailer combined with the 3D announcement just made this a little closer. Shoule be a good battle next summer.

Kazenji
NEW Trailer with the new Hobbit movie!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697714/man-of-steel-trailer-hobbit.jhtml

**** off MTV.

Supra
Honestly the Iron Man 3 trailer sucks, appears pepper Potts dies along with Iron Man. The man of steel trailer inspires to me.

Kazenji
Man of steel trailer didn't exactly inspire me, I got more out of the Iron Man 3 trailer.

StiltmanFTW
Same here. MoS trailer sucked.

Golgo13
They're both very good trailers, IMO. MOS looking to be more epic in scope, with a better cast.

Supra
Obviously IM3 is gonna be good, I just didn't think the trailer was as good as MoS. Mandarin talking down to the audience or cast calling people sheep. All the suits being destroyed..and his home being destroyed, I hated seeing that happen to Tony.

The MOS trailer showed a different side to superman and being taught by his parents and nurtured by Jor El. And the narritation or wording was amazing.

Both gonna be good movies, just liked MoS trailer more. And I like the cast better as Gogo mentioned.

ares834
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Same here. MoS trailer sucked.

I actually prefer the MoS trailer. Love the music and I like how it reveals so little.

Kazenji
They're both very good trailers, IMO. MOS looking to be more epic in scope, with a better cast.

Doesn't mean its going to be better with it being more epic in scope.

Golgo13
Doesn't mean its going to be better with it being more epic in scope.

Well, duh, I never said it was going to be better. MOS visually looks better, though. Zack Snyder and all.

DARTH POWER
I honestly think MOS will be better. It's bound to have better action sequences and will probably have a more epic story.

On the other hand not sure I can be arsed sitting through another Supes Origin. Whilst IM3 looks like something completely new and original.

Newjak
I haven't seen the IM3 trailer yet but my gut tells me Superman will probably do the best. I think it's going to have that freshness factor going for it plus people tend to want a good Superman movie and this looks like it could be a great Superman movie.

juggernaut74
Well a crappy Superman managed to pull in almost 400 million so we'll see how this does. IM 2 pulled in over 600 million but I'm curious to see if being tied to the Avengers will help or hinder this film.

DARTH POWER
Well a crappy Superman managed to pull in almost 400 million so we'll see how this does.

Assuming it's good, it should easily make 700mill worldwide.

IM 2 pulled in over 600 million but I'm curious to see if being tied to the Avengers will help or hinder this film.

Well that won't hinder it. It can only help. What could hinder it is the fact that IM2 realy wasn't that good. But tbh I think people will forget that and just have IM1 and The Avengers on their mind.

Golgo13
The foreign markets are open more than ever, compared to when Superman Returns came out. It will more than likely almost double, IF it is good. Not to mention he's the most recognizable super hero and it's going to be in 3-D. Foreign markets eat up big special effects movies and that is what it looks like, SO FAR.

-Pr-
I really liked Iron Man 2, personally.

That said, I am a bigger Superman fan than an Iron Man one, so i'm more likely to go for a Superman trailer, and this one has looked encouraging, at the very least.

DARTH POWER
Not to mention he's the most recognizable super hero and it's going to be in 3-D.

Actually SR was also in 3-D. But 3-D wasn't as big back then.

But I agree as long as it's a decent movie MOS should make at least 700mill worldwide.

However I'm hoping for something epic which makes closer to the Billion mark.

-Pr-

But I agree as long as it's a decent movie MOS should make at least 700mill worldwide.

I hope it is good enough that it makes both 1 billion, and paves the way for future DC movies.

Golgo13

I never said it wasn't 3-D, but ticket prices have risen since then. Got to love inflation.

Oh, PR, I heard Nolan said that Snyder's Superman will be a polar opposite to his Batman, so you might want to rest easy, friend. smile

Estacado
MOS trailer is phuckin great!!
How can anyone dislike it?I don't even like Superman still I prefer the trailer over IM3.

Golgo13
There will always be people who dislike things. It's normal. The majority love it, though. My friend absolutely hates Superman, but thinks this looks great.

-Pr-
I never said it wasn't 3-D, but ticket prices have risen since then. Got to love inflation.

Oh, PR, I heard Nolan said that Snyder's Superman will be a polar opposite to his Batman, so you might want to rest easy, friend. smile

I read that; we'll see.

I'm still worried about Goyer.

DARTH POWER

Oh, PR, I heard Nolan said that Snyder's Superman will be a polar opposite to his Batman,

Meaning??

Kazenji
There will always be people who dislike things. It's normal. The majority love it, though. My friend absolutely hates Superman, but thinks this looks great.

I don't dislike the MOS trailer its good one

i just don't think its as epic as it is, Which p eople are making it out to be on this board.

DARTH POWER
I don't dislike the MOS trailer its good one

i just don't think its as epic as it is, Which p eople are making it out to be on this board.

We're actually more "hoping" it will be epic than "believing" it will be.

But given WB's recent record on the big screen we should probably be grateful if it's just a good movie.

Golgo13
We're actually more "hoping" it will be epic than "believing" it will be.

But given WB's recent record on the big screen we should probably be grateful if it's just a good movie.

WB has also produced some good super heroe movies and the best super hero trilogy thus far, so it's not like they can't make a good movie. I don't think they were taking the SH genre seriously up until recently, so I'm hoping for something good.

DARTH POWER
WB has also produced some good super heroe movies and the best super hero trilogy thus far, so it's not like they can't make a good movie. I don't think they were taking the SH genre seriously up until recently, so I'm hoping for something good.

Well I did really enjoy Watchmen. Not sure why it didn't do too well financially. It was much better than a lot of the crap SH Movies out there like Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four. Maybe it could have used a big star to promote it.

But I just can't get over what they did to GL.

I appreciate them making the biggest/best SH trilogy of all time, but they seem to have trouble when putting the characters who have powers that are "really out there" on to the big screen.

Golgo13
Well I did really enjoy Watchmen. Not sure why it didn't do too well financially. It was much better than a lot of the crap SH Movies out there like Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four. Maybe it could have used a big star to promote it.

But I just can't get over what they did to GL.

I appreciate them making the biggest/best SH trilogy of all time, but they seem to have trouble when putting the characters who have powers that are "really out there" on to the big screen.

They haven't tried all that much, tbh. And they still have the OG Superman movies which were pretty good for it's time. I still enjoyed Superman 1 and 2, even though they weren't my favs.

DARTH POWER
They haven't tried all that much, tbh. And they still have the OG Superman movies which were pretty good for it's time. I still enjoyed Superman 1 and 2, even though they weren't my favs.

Yeah they were obviously classics. But as Bryan Singer learned with SR, that style doesn't work any more with modern day SH Movies. So they still have to prove they can do a great modern day version. And not only with Superman but with others like Flash and Wonder Woman.

I mean Green Lantern had so much potential, and I'm really annoyed they boshed that up.

Kazenji
Ghost Rider deserves better treatment

sooner the rights revert back to Marvel the better.

Golgo13
Yeah they were obviously classics. But as Bryan Singer learned with SR, that style doesn't work any more with modern day SH Movies. So they still have to prove they can do a great modern day version. And not only with Superman but with others like Flash and Wonder Woman.

I mean Green Lantern had so much potential, and I'm really annoyed they boshed that up.

GL wasn't as bad as most people made it out to be, IMO. It wasn't that good, either, but it was a lot better than GR or Superman Returns. I actually enjoyed it more than Thor or Cap, but not nearly as good as X-Men First Class, which was the best SH movie that year.

WhiteWitchKing
Green Lantern was terrible. The villains, the story, the costumes, and even the hero himself sucked. Sure Superman Return had a lot of lost potential but GL had an entire Corps that did almost nothing except act as background. Ironic how on DVD covers you see Hal and the entire corps, but they weren't used much in the actual movie. It did poorly because it was over budget film that didn't deliver and so word of mouth killed this movie. In foreign markets, Captain America wrecked GL. You'd expect a CGI filled sci-fi movie like GL to beat out CA in foreign markets but this should tell you how poorly GL's movie was. The foreign market ate up Thor, Iron Man 2, First Class, and The Amazing Spider-Man.

Critic reviews and box office numbers prove that GL is a bad as people say it is.

GL:
Domestic: $116,601,172 53.0%
+ Foreign: $103,250,000 47.0%
= Worldwide: $219,851,172

Captain America:
Domestic: $176,654,505 47.9%
+ Foreign: $191,953,858 52.1%
= Worldwide: $368,608,363

Golgo13
It's all a matter of opinion. I don't even agree with most critics, anyway.

-Pr-
GL was a horrible adaptation. At least Cap and Thor actually did their characters justice.

Golgo13
I found Cap pretty boring. Red Skull was the only thing I liked about it.

Kazenji
Its the other way around for me.

Golgo13
You didn't like Hugo's performance? It's up there with the best villain performances, IMO. Unfortunately, he couldn't save the movie.

-Pr-
That's how I feel about Reynolds and Hal.

Golgo13
Reynold's isn't a great actor to begin with. IMO.

-Pr-
Reynold's isn't a great actor to begin with. IMO.

Great? No. Good? Yes, imo. I thought he was exactly the kind of actor they needed for Hal.

Just a shame that they had a crappy script.

Golgo13
They should have hired better writers and got more input from DC's creators. It looks like the same people are going to produce GL 2 eek!

Kazenji
You didn't like Hugo's performance? It's up there with the best villain performances, IMO. Unfortunately, he couldn't save the movie.

Just felt like they could've done alot more with the character

movie wasn't that bad.

WhiteWitchKing
It's all a matter of opinion. I don't even agree with most critics, anyway.

Apparently a lot of movie goers disagree with you on Green Lantern that's why it's box office numbers are below Cap and Thor. 58 critics on RT agree with you while 163 disagree with you. Both Thor and Cap have better ratings and box office sales than GL has to do with solid stories and characters.

Kazenji
Should'eve stuck with that Green Lantern: Secret Origin which they were using not just some of it.

Golgo13
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Apparently a lot of movie goers disagree with you on Green Lantern that's why it's box office numbers are below Cap and Thor. 58 critics on RT agree with you while 163 disagree with you. Both Thor and Cap have better ratings and box office sales than GL has to do with solid stories and characters.

And? I don't care what critics have to say. I disagree with most of them. Cap and Thor were nothing special and it shows. They're ratings aren't anything special.

Kazenji
Who the **** cares about RT anyway people act like that place is the voice of the world.

-Pr-
I honestly can't understand how anyone would rate GL as being better than Cap or Thor.

When it wasn't butchering the lore, it was being needlessly convoluted.

Golgo13
Technically, Cap was a better movie, I just enjoyed GL a little more. I'm not debating whether it was a good movie, because it was not, it's just my opinion.

Golgo13
Who the **** cares about RT anyway people act like that place is the voice of the world.

I wasn't speaking about RT. I barely go there. IMDB is where I get my movie needs.

-Pr-
Technically, Cap was a better movie, I just enjoyed GL a little more. I'm not debating whether it was a good movie, because it was not, it's just my opinion.

Okay, I guess...

Golgo13
Not everyone is going to have the same view points, PR. Come on.

-Pr-
What?

Golgo13
Meaning not everyone likes Cap or Nolan's Batman or whatever.

-Pr-
Meaning not everyone likes Cap or Nolan's Batman or whatever.

I never said everyone had to.

I'm one of the few people who actually doesn't think as highly of Nolan's work as most.

WhiteWitchKing
And? I don't care what critics have to say. I disagree with most of them. Cap and Thor were nothing special and it shows. They're ratings aren't anything special.

Of course you don't, nobody is saying you should have an opinion. But Cap and Thor were obviously more special seeing as how both got ratings above 70%, backed by box office numbers surpassing GL, while GL got 26% . Obviously there were more favorable opinions by movie goers and critics for Thor and Cap over GL. So yes, it was as bad as people made it out to be and it shows in ratings and box office $$$. You just have a different taste then most.

People who don't want to spend time and money to find out a movie is sh!tty. Not every movie is a must see, that's why they're are critics who's job it is to watch and review these movies. While not accurate all the time, it does a give useful insights and an average of differing opinions of those who actually saw the movie. It's no different then going onto a message board like this to gauge everyone's opinion and decide whether you would want to see a movie you never heard of or are on the fence about.

Kazenji
And the thing with critics their personal tastes also comes into all, What they like in movies etc and of course everyone is different.

WhiteWitchKing
And the thing with critics their personal tastes also comes into all, What they like in movies etc and of course everyone is different.

Which is why RT is better since it's a collective meter and not any one critic deciding on a movies rating. The range of critics opinion is similar sample of the public whole. You've have your stuck up and easily satisfied critics along the those in between affecting the rating. No different than the public whose taste in film some what mirrors that.

Golgo13
Critics shmitics, the only critic I kinda like is Ebert.

Kazenji
He's an idiot.

Golgo13
Whaat?! I agree with him a lot and I have been watching him since the early 90's. Some of his opinions are really weird, though.

WhiteWitchKing
Critics shmitics, the only critic I kinda like is Ebert.

That's fine but you by yourself can't buy enough tickets to make a movie successful. GL was obviously bad enough that less people went to see it compared to Thor and Cap. The bad reviews by critic contributed to GL's downfall since a large segment of the people does care what the critics have to say.

Critics voted with their reviews; movie goers vote with their wallet by seeing movies other than GL. If Superman had this kinda of performance against Iron Man 3, WB would close shop on movies other than Batman.

Golgo13
I never said I wanted GL to be successful in the first place. So I don't know why you're debating with me. I simply liked it more than Cap or Thor.

Golgo13
BTW, here are my top 10 fav super hero movies:
1. Dark Knight Trilogy
2. Spider-Man 2
3. X-Men First Class
4. Batman 89
5. Avengers
6. Blade
7. Iron Man
8. Superman
9. X-2
10. Spider-Man

-Pr-
I never said I wanted GL to be successful in the first place. So I don't know why you're debating with me. I simply liked it more than Cap or Thor.

Why wouldn't you want Green Lantern to be successful?

DARTH POWER
I personally found Captain America to be pretty boring. And it was by far my least favorite Avenger movie. And we can't deny that part of it's success would have been due to the success of Iron Man, Thor and being the last build up to the Avengers movie. Also generally if you ask movie goers who their favorite Avenger is (from the movie) Cap's the name that's least likely to come up.

So Hype and Marketing does have an impact on box office success. Cap for instance performed better than First Class. But anyone would be mad to believe that movie goers generally think Cap is a better movie than FC.

That being said as a movie Cap was far superior to Green Lantern in every way, and like someone else pointed out Cap did justice to the character and his origin story. That's something important that GL did not do.

Kazenji
And certainly alot better then the 1990 cap movie.

DARTH POWER
LOL..

But was GL better than the 1990's JLA movie?!

Golgo13
Originally posted by -Pr-
Why wouldn't you want Green Lantern to be successful?

I'm tallking about that particular movie. It doesn't deserve to be successful and it wasn't.

Golgo13
I personally found Captain America to be pretty boring. And it was by far my least favorite Avenger movie. And we can't deny that part of it's success would have been due to the success of Iron Man, Thor and being the last build up to the Avengers movie. Also generally if you ask movie goers who their favorite Avenger is (from the movie) Cap's the name that's least likely to come up.

So Hype and Marketing does have an impact on box office success. Cap for instance performed better than First Class. But anyone would be mad to believe that movie goers generally think Cap is a better movie than FC.

That being said as a movie Cap was far superior to Green Lantern in every way, and like someone else pointed out Cap did justice to the character and his origin story. That's something important that GL did not do.

Agreed. I didn't find anything fun about Cap. Sure it stayed true to the character, but that doesn't mean a good movie. At least GL had some fun parts to it. It actually made me laugh in certain scenes, but it lacked epicness, which GL should have been. I think MOS will do a lot better.

joesha28

Tzeentch._
"There's no Superman movie?"

Hasn't there been like 5 Superman movies? The last 3 of which were complete shit?

Kazenji
Superman 2 wasn't complete shit.

Tzeentch._
"Last three"

5-3= 2 remaining.

joesha28
I want Man of steel to be good. When Thor 2 comes out to hammer MOS out of the box office. Synder dissed Thor, and ironically Thor will be out in Nov. But once u touch an Avenger, U face the Avengers and Iron Man gonna blow MOS of 1st. Than comes the Hammer!

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by joesha28
I want Man of steel to be good. When Thor 2 comes out to hammer MOS out of the box office. Synder dissed Thor, and ironically Thor will be out in Nov. But once u touch an Avenger, U face the Avengers and Iron Man gonna blow MOS of 1st. Than comes the Hammer!

Good point. No one's even considered the possibility of Thor 2 beating MOS. (It's already embarrassing for Supes that Thor beat SR).

Thor made $450mill WW when Thor was a relative unknown. But after it's success and the mega success of Avengers a Thor sequel could be a rival for IM3.

juggernaut74
Good point. No one's even considered the possibility of Thor 2 beating MOS. (It's already embarrassing for Supes that Thor beat SR).

Thor made $450mill WW when Thor was a relative unknown. But after it's success and the mega success of Avengers a Thor sequel could be a rival for IM3. With adjusted ticket sales I believe that sh!tty Superman movie out grossed Thor.

DARTH POWER
Have to say MOS will take this after the latest trailer.

juggernaut74
MOS's stock has went up since that trailer came out. IM 3 still is going do be huge though and being connected to Avengers should help. But on the flip being MOS is going to jumpstart DC's shared universe it's hard to say how much MOS will make. Anybody think it will hit 1 billion?

Golgo13
I doubt it.

-Pr-
I could see it hitting that after DVD and Bluray sales.

armedforbattle
I still think IM3 will gross more.

Are there anymore confirmed villains other than Zod?

JayDaDon
T6DJcgm3wNY

Not a huge Superman fan, but seeing him smack Zod across the city made me applaud in my living room.

-Pr-
Originally posted by armedforbattle
I still think IM3 will gross more.

Are there anymore confirmed villains other than Zod?

Faora, and an army of Kryptonians.

WhiteWitchKing
MOS's stock has went up since that trailer came out. IM 3 still is going do be huge though and being connected to Avengers should help. But on the flip being MOS is going to jumpstart DC's shared universe it's hard to say how much MOS will make. Anybody think it will hit 1 billion?

It should hit a billion after seeing this trailer. If the story is as good as the trailer, they will hit it. We know the action won't be a let down so it falls to the story to draw in more audiences. Anything 80% and above fresh on the rotten meter and I think that will give it good enough word of mouth to hit a billion. At this point, even Superman will benefit from the Avengers hype. After seeing Iron Man 3, the audience would want to go see Superman. Thor hit $455 million world wide and this was before the Avenger's hype.

Here's a list of its predecessors which were all good and financially successful (likely in the case of IM 3):

Thor
X-Men First Class
Amazing Spider-man
Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man 3

DARTH POWER
I'm sure MOS will do well after seeing that trailer and the hype increase. But a Billion might be pushing it. It still has to fight the hurt SR did.

A good example is Batman Begins did well but no where near as well as TDK and TDKR. Imho that's because the last Batman movie before it was Batman & Robin.

Same with Incredible Hulk. I'm sure it would have done better if not for Hulk before it.

I'm thinking MOS might make something similar to The Amazing Spiderman. And I'd be happy if it did that well. IM3 probably won't be far behind.

-Pr-
Either way, this summer is gonna be ****ing epic.

Kazenji
Or Winter depending on where you live.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>