Thor Vs Gandalf

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Film Thor (Thor + Avengers)

Vs

Gandalf (Books 1-3)

Fight takes place on Endor, morals are turned off, both want nothing more than to see the other defeated. FIGHT!

ares834
Thor wins.

Magic in the LotR is rather subtle. Gandalf's most impressive overt displays of magic are killing a few orcs with a flash of light and setting pine cones on fire. His more impressive feats don't do that, for example at one point he contends with Sauron and, of course, there is his off panel battle with the Balrog. Still neither put him above even movie Thor.

Kaibs
Originally posted by ares834
Thor wins.

Magic in the LotR is rather subtle. Gandalf's most impressive overt displays of magic are killing a few orcs with a flash of light and setting pine cones on fire. His more impressive feats don't do that, for example at one point he contends with Sauron and, of course, there is his off panel battle with the Balrog. Still neither put him above even movie Thor.

.... You must umm never have read the actual books. They mention his powers to be way more than which you have just said.

ares834
I've read them. Several times in fact. However, I debate on displayed power not inferred. Just because the books mention that Gandalf was holding back (although perhaps not against the Balrog) does not mean I am going to arbitrarily say he can do shit he hasn't done before.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
I've read them. Several times in fact. However, I debate on displayed power not inferred. Just because the books mention that Gandalf was holding back (although perhaps not against the Balrog) does not mean I am going to arbitrarily say he can do shit he hasn't done before. AKA the no-limits fallacy.

Gandalf hasn't been shown in any media to be able to handle someone of Thor's calibre.

NemeBro
Hey look it's a bunch of ignorant ardvarks.

Gandalf leveled the side of a mountain while fighting the Balrog.

Thor has never shown this level of power output.

Damborgson
He broke Jotunhein. /shrug

NemeBro
Which isn't as impressive as wrecking a mountain.

Thor's best destructive feats are quantified to be about town level.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by NemeBro

Thor has never shown this level of power output. Yeah, all those Orcs he fried with his mountain breaking powers were f*cking pissed.

Gandalf doesn't have time for chants and incantations--one hammer to the head and he's done.

Damborgson
Which isn't as impressive as wrecking a mountain.

Thor's best destructive feats are quantified to be about town level.

True. But the ease Thor performed it with makes it seems like it's far from something he couldn't do more than once in a fight.

That said: I don't know enough about Gandalf to argue against him very well.

Nerd. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/smurph.gif

NemeBro
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yeah, all those Orcs he fried with his mountain breaking powers were f*cking pissed.

Gandalf doesn't have time for chants and incantations--one hammer to the head and he's done. Considering the mountain leveling didn't harm him much, and the abuse he suffered from the fight, and the fact that he didn't have to waste as much time chanting as you seem to imply, all signs point to no.

Lord Lucien
What's the chapter this happens in?

NemeBro
What an *******. Making me prove my own claims.

No but uh I'll get back to you on that, don't own the book at the moment. haermm

Lord Lucien
But I doooooo. I wanna read it.

ares834

Thor has never shown this level of power output.

Are you referring to Gandalf saying this, "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin"?

If so, I would point out that there is hyperbole throughout Gandalf's speech to Aragorn, Gimili, and Legolas. For example, he claims that there are "nameless things" older than Sauron deep within the earth.

Secondly, that the mountain side did not break because of Gandalf's power but due to the Balrog falling on it.

And finally, the mountain was not leveled, but he "broke the mountain-side" which seems to imply an avalanche nothing more.

Full exchange can be found here.

NemeBro
The quote is admittedly different than how I remember it.

BruceSkywalker
Gandalf gets whacked in the head by Mjolnir, the end

quanchi112
Thor wrecks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.