Russell Edgington vs. Maryann Forrester

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
The unkillable Maenad takes on the baddest of the vampires. She enslaves Talbot and Russell goes nuts. Fight takes place outside Sookies house.

BloodRain
Can her toxins affect Russell?
How does her magic, psychic power, other powers match up?

By feats, and unless the above goes in her favour, Russell win.

Not giving a second glance to her being older or her unkillable thing.

CowardlyBlakMan
See your still swinging from Russells nuts.

asdf83
I don't see anything stopping Russell from simply ripping her head off.

Also, she can't enslave other supernaturals, so there goes that advantage.

Blight
This really comes down to whether or not Russell foolishly bites her.

Robtard
She obliterates Russell.

Blight
Originally posted by Robtard
She obliterates Russell. How, other than the scenario I posted? She doesn't have him on Speed. She doesn't have him on strength... not being able to die is a no-limit fallacy.. what could she do?

Robtard
She moved faster than Bill could follow, so she's comparable to Russel in speed; possibly faster.

Max strength is an unknown; she easily lifted Sooki and her orangutan titties with one hand, as vampires can do.

She's durable enough where bullets bounce off her.

She didn't need to drink an entire fairie dry to be able to take fairie-blast, in fact, it seemed to tickle her. But it was pretty much had she was above vampires and other supernaturals with her powers.

Blight
She moved faster than Bill could follow, so she's comparable to Russel in speed; possibly faster.
I would like some context on that. If you're referring to the time she scratched Sookie, then he didn't give any chase whatsoever. Not to mention:

bw97T59Qdg4
This is faster than when she was legitimately trying to chase sam running as a human.

Max strength is an unknown; she easily lifted Sooki and her orangutan titties with one hand, as vampires can do. If lifting Sookie is her best feat then her best max strength feat is that. Which we both know isn't better than anything a vampire has done.

She's durable enough where bullets bounce off her. I can give you this one. But she was pierced by a Bull Horn. And to say that only happened because she believed it could happen is a No-Limits Fallacy.

She didn't need to drink an entire fairie dry to be able to take fairie-blast, in fact, it seemed to tickle her. But it was pretty much had she was above vampires and other supernaturals with her powers. It did not tickle her. It probably just stung, she was surprised to see something she never had before, which is why she was laughing. It was also the first time Sookie had ever done that so it doesn't really have much ground for being the same.

BloodRain
About Maryann's immortality.. how credible is it? The Queen told Bill about the immortality and the only way to kill her, but she later told Eric that nothing she said had much if any credit.

Is she immortal then?

quanchi112
Originally posted by BloodRain
About Maryann's immortality.. how credible is it? The Queen told Bill about the immortality and the only way to kill her, but she later told Eric that nothing she said had much if any credit.

Is she immortal then? Yes, the series made it clear she needed to believe she was dying to actually die by her gods hands.

juggerman
Maryann wins easily if Russell has no knowledge of her. If he does, which he may being so freaking old, he might be able to pull out the dub.

quanchi112
Originally posted by juggerman
Maryann wins easily if Russell has no knowledge of her. If he does, which he may being so freaking old, he might be able to pull out the dub. How would she win at all let alone easily ?

juggerman
Well if he didn't know what she was he is likely to believe she is just a human. Iirc Bill thought she was a human as well and was poisoned by her blood. Russell may very well suffer the same fate except here she would finish him off.

But since the queen of LA knew a bit about her it is likely Russell, being far older and having far more knowledge and resorces might be well aware of what she is.

quanchi112
Well if he didn't know what she was he is likely to believe she is just a human. Iirc Bill thought she was a human as well and was poisoned by her blood. Russell may very well suffer the same fate except here she would finish him off.

But since the queen of LA knew a bit about her it is likely Russell, being far older and having far more knowledge and resorces might be well aware of what she is. I really believe he will have knowledge since he did outrank his bride. Besides that he didn't always bite his victim first. He staked the leader of the Authority and slapped another loyalist's head off. He bit the faerie first because he was obsessed with drinking faerie blood.

BloodRain
The series only showed that that's how she died, and besides the Queen's admitted guess there isn't anything else that says she's immortal.

quanchi112
The series only showed that that's how she died, and besides the Queen's admitted guess there isn't anything else that says she's immortal. The series implied it. What more do you need ? I am sure if she was in a zelda game you'd accept it.

BloodRain
I'm asking when/how it was implied when only one character mentioned the immortality.

(Am actually a fan of True Blood, jus' sayin')

quanchi112
I'm asking when/how it was implied when only one character mentioned the immortality.

(Am actually a fan of True Blood, jus' sayin') The writer is telling the story through the character. We also see the method clearly work. To suggest the writer had that scene to confuser the audience is preposterous.

BloodRain
What scene, the death or the Queen? The death was like that because Bill and Sam were putting all their hopes on this plan working, a plan they got from the Queen's 'maybe, maybe not' words.

It'd be nice if we actually saw Bill or Eric trying to kill her apart from the bite.

quanchi112
What scene, the death or the Queen? The death was like that because Bill and Sam were putting all their hopes on this plan working, a plan they got from the Queen's 'maybe, maybe not' words.

It'd be nice if we actually saw Bill or Eric trying to kill her apart from the bite. So despite everything we see not affect her and the words and implications of a character on how to defeat a maenad it still isn't enough. Unless it is in Hyrule it doesn't count for you people.

ScreamPaste
>Implying BloodRain is a Zelda fanboy.

I've argued against him in more Zelda threads than I've argued against you, the difference is he knows a feat when it falls out of the sky, does a merry jig, and paints the word 'FEAT' on itself in giant, bold, easy to read lettering suitable for a kindergartener, unlike yourself, Quan.

Congratulations, even the detractors of the verse you hate so much are in awe of your wrongness.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ScreamPaste

I've argued against him in more Zelda threads than I've argued against you, the difference is he knows a feat when it falls out of the sky, does a merry jig, and paints the word 'FEAT' on itself in giant, bold, easy to read lettering suitable for a kindergartener, unlike yourself, Quan.

Congratulations, even the detractors of the verse you hate so much are in awe of your wrongness. And I can tell when I have ripped open someone's *******. You complain in thread after thread making me the center of your universe. You are just another pathetic poster who is too afraid to face me. Either debate the characters or leave. I tire of your trolling.

juggerman
Originally posted by quanchi112
I really believe he will have knowledge since he did outrank his bride. Besides that he didn't always bite his victim first. He staked the leader of the Authority and slapped another loyalist's head off. He bit the faerie first because he was obsessed with drinking faerie blood.

I believe so too which makes me think he'd win more likely than not. But if he didn't i could see him losing. He chopped off a vamp's head true but this vampire was very old and powerful so killing him quickly was smart on Russell's part. I know the vamp wasn't on Russell's level but he was well superior to a human. I dunno how Russell would attack a human since i don't recall him ever doing so besides to feed or the one he staked after porking.

BloodRain
Originally posted by ScreamPaste

Congratulations, even the detractors of the verse you hate so much are in awe of your wrongness.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4vil5J6uA1qj3ir1.gif
So despite everything we see not affect her and the words and implications of a character on how to defeat a maenad it still isn't enough. Unless it is in Hyrule it doesn't count for you people.
Defensive much? confused

Literally asking you to tell me those words in implications, because the Queen was the only one to say 'immortal' and the only thing shes resisted is a bullet.

quanchi112
I believe so too which makes me think he'd win more likely than not. But if he didn't i could see him losing. He chopped off a vamp's head true but this vampire was very old and powerful so killing him quickly was smart on Russell's part. I know the vamp wasn't on Russell's level but he was well superior to a human. I dunno how Russell would attack a human since i don't recall him ever doing so besides to feed or the one he staked after porking. He did so to simply shut him up. We see how beyond all of them he is. We see Russell talk down to the entire Authority and act like their combined strength is nothing to is because it wasn't. Russell needed to be taken down in numbers or by surprise because straight up he was the most powerful on the show we have seen thus far.

quanchi112
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4vil5J6uA1qj3ir1.gif

Defensive much? confused

Literally asking you to tell me those words in implications, because the Queen was the only one to say 'immortal' and the only thing shes resisted is a bullet. She resisted a bullet and a vampire attempting to drain her. We also have the Queen illustrating for the audience the means to beat her. This wasn't to trip the audience up.

juggerman
He did so to simply shut him up. We see how beyond all of them he is. We see Russell talk down to the entire Authority and act like their combined strength is nothing to is because it wasn't. Russell needed to be taken down in numbers or by surprise because straight up he was the most powerful on the show we have seen thus far.

Agreed but again we haven't (to my knowledge) seen him actually try to "fight" a human. A lot of vamps go for the blood drain as Bill did and if Russell does then he loses. If he doesn't he'll most likely stomp.

KingD19
Didn't somebody jump on Russell and try to stake him, and after shrugging him off into the ceiling, he proceeded to beat on him?

juggerman
That was Bill and after Russell shrugged him off someone else restrained Bill. Probably Eric or the chick that turned Bill. Russell just laughed since Bill was nothing to him

quanchi112
Agreed but again we haven't (to my knowledge) seen him actually try to "fight" a human. A lot of vamps go for the blood drain as Bill did and if Russell does then he loses. If he doesn't he'll most likely stomp. You already agreed he'd most likely know about her existence. You agree with me so just give up and lay down already.

juggerman
You need help.

quanchi112
You need help. Get back to the topic. You agree in all likelihood he'd know so you agree Russell wins.

juggerman
Do you have proof that he knows?

quanchi112
Do you have proof that he knows? We don't have proof he doesn't know. You yourself said logically he should know and besides all that he doesn't always bite first anyway.

juggerman
Logically he should know what a Marnad is. Doesn't mean he'd know that she was one. You know what a vampire is/should be but if you actually saw one you might not know that's what is was. Did she smell different to vampires than normal humans did? I don't recall.

quanchi112
Logically he should know what a Marnad is. Doesn't mean he'd know that she was one. You know what a vampire is/should be but if you actually saw one you might not know that's what is was. Did she smell different to vampires than normal humans did? I don't recall. I don't remember if she smelled differently. I should youtube the Bill encounter with her again. To me out of all the characters of all five seasons Russell was the biggest and baddest. I think you agree.

juggerman
If that's what you are trying to prove here then yes Russell was indeed the biggest single threat and the most fun to watch. However logically the witches could have overcome him easily with magic. Not in a forum fight tho.

quanchi112
If that's what you are trying to prove here then yes Russell was indeed the biggest single threat and the most fun to watch. However logically the witches could have overcome him easily with magic. Not in a forum fight tho. The vampires aren't unbeatable but in terms of overall formidability. They are at the top of the food chain. Through prep and with help the witches can pose a threat. .

BloodRain
She resisted a bullet and a vampire attempting to drain her. We also have the Queen illustrating for the audience the means to beat her. This wasn't to trip the audience up.

As Sophie said, "Of course you were , we can only drink human blood and she's no longer remotely human." It wasn't resisting. The bullet I'll give you but deflecting a bullet certainly doesn't account for immortality.

And as she says to Eric, "I gave William Compton a few bits of hand-me-down folklore we've accumulated over the centuries, but who knows if it's gospel or gorilla shit." when talking about the immortality and killing method she spoke to him about.

Either she was right and listing the only method she knows about, or she was wrong. Thats hardly confirmation.

juggerman
As Sophie said, "Of course you were , we can only drink human blood and she's no longer remotely human." It wasn't resisting. The bullet I'll give you but deflecting a bullet certainly doesn't account for immortality.

And as she says to Eric, "I gave William Compton a few bits of hand-me-down folklore we've accumulated over the centuries, but who knows if it's gospel or gorilla shit." when talking about the immortality and killing method she spoke to him about.

Either she was right and listing the only method she knows about, or she was wrong. Thats hardly confirmation.

And Sophie was clearly wrong as they can drink the blood of animals, faries, werewolves, ect.

True. So there may be other ways we just don't know if there actually are and what they may be.

BloodRain
Well animals aren't supernatural and Shifters are mostly human. Faerie blood gives those added effects in the same way a Maenad's blood poisons a vamp.

Thats what I was asking how valid her immortality claims are.

juggerman
Her use of the word "only" implies that there was no other option. I'm sure she was aware of other options but still.

quanchi112

Either she was right and listing the only method she knows about, or she was wrong. Thats hardly confirmation. We see vampires drink faery blood as well. Her blood was poison as a means of protecting her against vampires; obviously.

We see that it is to be believed since there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. The bulk of the evidence along with the character statements support she was pretty immortal save being sacrificed to her god in her mind. Now she can be beaten I am sure but killed nay I say according to tb lore.

BloodRain
Supernatural beings have different blood to humans, and Sophie questioned her own advice she gave Bill.

The only things left in favour are deflecting a bullet and the fact that ways to kill them are not known to the masses. But seeing as Maenads are extremely rare the chances that things have killed them are highly probable.

juggerman
Supernatural beings have different blood to humans, and Sophie questioned her own advice she gave Bill.

The only things left in favour are deflecting a bullet and the fact that ways to kill them are not known to the masses. But seeing as Maenads are extremely rare the chances that things have killed them are highly probable.

Or it's highly probable they tend to kill themselves quite often

quanchi112

The only things left in favour are deflecting a bullet and the fact that ways to kill them are not known to the masses. But seeing as Maenads are extremely rare the chances that things have killed them are highly probable. You are speculating. This one lived for thousands of years and the dialogue supports my view whereas nothing supports your theories.

BloodRain
I wouldnt say highly as so little people knew about this specific method.

quanchi112
I wouldnt say highly as so little people knew about this specific method. It's speculation either way.

BloodRain
For immortality:
-Deflecting a bullet.. the single attack she's survived besides being safe from blood sucking.
-Sophie's word

Against:
-Barely any left. As rarely anyone knew about that method, other ways must have been used to kill or else they would be high in numbers.
-Sophie saying she doesn't know how much of what she said was true, discrediting her word above.

Fact is the single character that calls her immortal also admitted to not knowing what was true. Can't even confirm that this was the sole method as much as just one of the ways.

E.g. what would happen if she was decapitated, got a limb torn off, impaled or has her heart ripped out?

quanchi112
For immortality:
-Deflecting a bullet.. the single attack she's survived besides being safe from blood sucking.
-Sophie's word

Against:
-Barely any left. As rarely anyone knew about that method, other ways must have been used to kill or else they would be high in numbers.
-Sophie saying she doesn't know how much of what she said was true, discrediting her word above.

Fact is the single character that calls her immortal also admitted to not knowing what was true. Can't even confirm that this was the sole method as much as just one of the ways.

E.g. what would happen if she was decapitated, got a limb torn off, impaled or has her heart ripped out? We don't know what would happen. Imo it's a loss but not a permanent death.

I still find her words as proof to her immortality but I don't subscribe to no limits fallacies either. The reason Russell wins imo is his superior strength/speed/feats/portrayal.

BloodRain
Those were the things that came to mind when asking. Seeing as Vampires are also called immortal beings, makes it questionable.

But yeah, Russ would destroy her. As too would Godric, and if he was there Eric might have been able to too.. Bill might have been a challenge if he didn't go for the blood suck.

quanchi112
Those were the things that came to mind when asking. Seeing as Vampires are also called immortal beings, makes it questionable.

But yeah, Russ would destroy her. As too would Godric, and if he was there Eric might have been able to too.. Bill might have been a challenge if he didn't go for the blood suck. I can see Godric or Russell beating her but not Eric.

Placidity
The bullet feat doesn't prove anything (I don't even recall it). Because if Bill's fangs can pierce her neck, I don't see why Russell can't karate chop her head off Elijah-style.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/modbelle/TVD%20Gifs/Elijah/Elijahbeheading.gif

quanchi112
Originally posted by Placidity
The bullet feat doesn't prove anything (I don't even recall it). Because if Bill's fangs can pierce her neck, I don't see why Russell can't karate chop her head off Elijah-style.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/modbelle/TVD%20Gifs/Elijah/Elijahbeheading.gif That would win the thread but we don't know if that would kill her. But it's not necessary anyway and it counts as a win. Russell ftw.

Rikudo sennin
Aside from immortality she is literally outclassed in every way. Russell is the strongest true blood character so far. He stomps.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rikudo sennin
Aside from immortality she is literally outclassed in every way. Russell is the strongest true blood character so far. He stomps. He definitely beats her IMO.

dimn1
Well, hello. I saw and read all the thread from a Google search and I would like to add my own opinion to Maryann subject and if possible to Russell too.

Many of you still haven't realized, or need, specific proof with spoken words that Maryann was an immortal being. First of all we can all agree she was a supernatural. This is too obvious, seeing her bizarre otherworldly powers that no other being in the show ever depicted.

But as a supernatural was she immortal? I put my hand on fire that in True Blood-verse Maryann, was 100% immortal. I don't know how much of an immortal she was. Vampires are immortal but if staked they die. Their weakness is fire, the stake and BOOM. True Death.

As Sophie Ann stated, a maenad's True Death is to succumb to her god. To drop down her immortality shield and totally give in. I don't know why but Sophie Ann seemed pretty sure of what she was talking about.

The show MANY TIMES, even though never truly revealed what powers Maryann had, showed that at a limited scope she COULD kill with bare hands and she could defeat any supernatural. It was never shown but the way the actress (michelle forbes) treated the role, showed a cool way to grab sookie's neck with ease. The speed was also a thing but sometimes I wonder why didn't she run fast to catch up with Sam or why she couldn't hypnotize other supes.

Let's also mention the komodo poison from her nails, it could actually HURT other supes and kill them, when she actually transformed to half bull. She also depicted some kind of aerokinetic abilites, a kind of screech like a flock of birds, that power maybe was the source of her normal vibrating power because it too, didn't affect other supes but only humans and it seemed to be capable to kill them.

Now, the deflecting bullet debate. Sometimes I really thought what if Maryann wasn't that of a powerful immortal and could easily be decapitated or smashed to pieces by an RPG? But the scene with Lafayette shoting her made me rethink and be sure about her invicibility. Nothing can pierce her because she doesn't believe she can be pierced. It may seem vague but THIS made her immortal and it made it true. Otherwise the bullet would pierce her hand, instead it deflected like nothing. It's so obvious, they put it there for a reason.
A friend of mine insisted that she deflected it because she defenced herself. Why defend herself if the bullet can't smash her head in two? Maybe it was a cool thing to show on television, to deflect a bullet and show her invincible powers, rather than depicting her gleeful being hit at the head and laughing. But I'm sure she was proof from damage.

I won't take it far or mention other possibilities like burning her, throwing her over a precipice or smashing her with something, I really don't know. She probably wouldn't let someone to do it. One of the few proofs that she was exceptionally powerful was her age. Over 10000 years old, her side kick Daphne stated she was always there and people feared her in ancient times calling her Lilith or Gaea, primeval deities.

Ugh it's so obvious already. Maryann was like devil, much older than vampires and it was subtly revealed to us all that she lived in primitive eras of sacrifices and the first cavemen. Maybe she was much older. She also probably came from ancient cults of orphism and she was a mystic in rituals (based on the greek words i heard and know what mean while sookie overheard her thoughts). Her mythology in general reveals a lot about her identity as an ancient being of reincarnation, half bird half human and believe me. It has nothing to do with weak characters or mortals cloacked in words of immortality but real gods and demons.

Sorry for the long post but some people really disregarded her and went to deify Russell. I like Russell too, A LOT. BUT sometimes outright strength is not the only thing that can beat. As Alan Ball said, for characters' luck Maryann's dead. She was the most powerful character of both the show and the books. In the books she was unkillable as the author stated.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.