Project Eternity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
Project Eternity is a kickstarter and future product by Obsidian. The plan is that they're asking the fans directly for money for their next project so they don't have to go through any stupid ****ing publishers who'll, oh lets say, force them to release an unfinished game 3 months early, or refuse to pay them royalties because their Metacritic score was 1 point off, to just make up a few examples.

3 days after starting the Kickstarter they've raised 1.5 million dollars, so it seems to be working at the moment.

The thread is for not only the Kickstarter but also the game itself. Since they've already reached the amount they needed to make the game, its a certainty at this point. From here the donations increase the size of the game, details in the link at the top. Theres also a video with the game details in in the link. Its an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world. More details:

Heres an image from the video of female armor and weapons and the world map:

http://i.imgur.com/8qfDg.png

http://i.imgur.com/Vm5Et.jpg

TBH, I'm seriously looking forward to this one. Obsidian unchained is probably going to be an amazing thing and the success of the Kickstarter will be great for indie developers.

Nephthys
More info:

Tzeentch._
Hope it succeeds.

The game doesn't sound particularly interesting to me, but I appreciate what they're trying to do. If a major company could get full financing for a game from non-profit investors, it could break the chain of publisher enslavement we've been seeing the last half-decade or so.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
The game doesn't sound particularly interesting to me, but I appreciate what they're trying to do. If a major company could get full financing for a game from non-profit investors, it could break the chain of publisher enslavement we've been seeing the last half-decade or so.

This type of funding could extend into other media platforms, as well: movies, TV Shows, etc.

Nephthys
Publishers wanted to exploit Kickstarter.

'If a known developer is using Kickstarter to fund its next game, be careful -- the money might end up getting used to ostensibly give a major publisher a new game for free. Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has revealed that publishers tried to use his company for that very purpose.

"We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter," he revealed on his team's own KS page. "I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.'

"They said, 'Yes'."

I'm putting 20 down on this being EA. Anyone want in on that?

FinalAnswer
That's pretty low EA.

NemeBro
EA isn't confirmed to be the one doing it you asspacking fudgetards.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Nephthys
Publishers wanted to exploit Kickstarter.

'If a known developer is using Kickstarter to fund its next game, be careful -- the money might end up getting used to ostensibly give a major publisher a new game for free. Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has revealed that publishers tried to use his company for that very purpose.

"We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter," he revealed on his team's own KS page. "I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.'

"They said, 'Yes'."

I'm putting 20 down on this being EA. Anyone want in on that?

Doubt it's EA especially with the cushy deal that EA partners program is, where EA co-finances, publishes and distributes third party games and let the studio keep the rights. Sounds more like Activision.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.