Warp Drive Theory

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Badabing

Badabing
NASA Scientists to Begin Warp Drive Experiments

According to an article in Gizmodo, a team at the Johnson Spaceflight Center in Houston is studying what sort of technology could be developed that would create a warp drive, a common element in science fiction such as "Star Trek."

Faster than light travel impossible

It is an axiom in modern physics that faster than light travel, at least by conventional means, is impossible. The fasting an object is accelerated, the more massive it becomes, according to a piece on the problem on the Discovery Channel website. At the speed of light, an object would have infinite mass, clearly impossible. In any case, even at near light speed, the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, is about a 4 1/2-year voyage away.

How a warp drive would work

However, there appears to be a way, at least mathematically, to get around the faster than light problem.According to Popular Science, it is possible to create a "warp bubble" around an object such as a space ship. Spacetime ahead of the ship could be compressed and spacetime behind the ship could be expanded. In effect, a future starship would travel not by moving itself but by moving space.

The NASA experiments

A team inside NASA's Eagleworks, a skunkworks operation at the Johnson Space Center, is working on an experiment that would create and detect a microscopic warp bubble, according to Gizmodo. The team proposes to do this with a device called the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer that will use a laser to create the microscopic warp bubble.

The energy problem

Hitherto, while such a warp drive was considered theoretically possible, it was thought that it would take an amount of exotic matter, more of a concept in physics than something that has actually been discovered, the size of Jupiter to power it. However, the NASA scientists working on the warp bubble experiment have ascertained that by tweaking the shape and nature of the warp field, about 500 kilograms of exotic matter would be needed to fire up a warp drive, according to Gizmodo. .

Implications of a warp drive

The implications of the proof of the concept of a warp bubble cannot be overstated. Space.com suggests that a football field-sized starship, surrounded by a ring that would generate the warp bubble, could travel an apparent speed of 10 times light speed. Gizmodo suggests that an Earthlike world about 20 light years away, Gliese 581g, would be a two year voyage away.

Naturally a great deal of work would have to be done before a real-life Captain Kirk can issue the order, "Ahead Warp Factor Two." For one thing, some way has to be found to create exotic matter. But if the experiment works, a giant leap toward that day will have been achieved.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-scientists-begin-warp-drive-experiments-190400874.html

TheGodKiller
The Alcubierre Drive is light-years(no pun intended) ahead of anything that humans are capable of coming up with in the coming few decades though.

Darth Jello
Yeah, one of the big problems with Warp Drive is once you achieve it, how do you stop. It also doesn't solve many of the other serious issues with manned space travel, specifically cosmic radiation and lack of gravity. Also, technically you can go at light speed or faster than light if your mass is zero, negative, imaginary, or complex. They problem with this, other than how to convert a bradyon into a super bradyon or a tachyon is that you'd also travel backwards in time and would endlessly accelerate as you lost energy.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Yeah, one of the big problems with Warp Drive is once you achieve it, how do you stop. It also doesn't solve many of the other serious issues with manned space travel, specifically cosmic radiation and lack of gravity. Also, technically you can go at light speed or faster than light if your mass is zero, negative, imaginary, or complex. They problem with this, other than how to convert a bradyon into a super bradyon or a tachyon is that you'd also travel backwards in time and would endlessly accelerate as you lost energy.
That's not the premise behind the Alcubierre drive.

Also, tachyons have never been demonstrated to exist in the real world, unlike negative energy which has(Casimir Effect).

A18
There is an idea that artificially produced positive and negative (as opposed to neutral) Lagrange points can exist:

PA66ah9b0U4

However, my ftl drive is better (faster), the dark energy slip stream is the highest rate of acceleration any object in the universe can ever experience. And the unequal termination of any such slipstream with the production of one in the opposite direction can slow gravitons composing the quantum particles in your spacecraft to the point where they go into a hyperbolic universe, and the crew will travel forward in time at a super fast rate.

This is also why UFOs turn green before becoming invisible like the Klingon Bird of Prey, but the Klingon craft uses wavelengths of light to produce an image of what's behind it instead. This is also how many modern AIs in your tv screen can produce never before seen bits from real live action movies and tv shows without the actors without any sentient cause. A lot of people have picked up on this supernatural phenomenon. AI isn't sentient perse but it's data processes occur in close enough proximity to human activities from day to day to obtain motives to do things like this, and its circuits today exist in great enough quantity to house these disembodied agents out of randomness.

Robtard
Folding space, this is the way to fast interstellar travel

Blakemore
This seems like science fantasy/ science fiction.

Robtard
Science fiction is fiction until it isn't.

eg Jules Verne wrote about a human occupied helicopter over seven decades before the first was invented, but he imagined it would be electric/battery powered, not internal combustion. In 2010 the world's first electric helicopter was produced, making Verne's prediction almost 150 years ahead of it's time.

Blakemore
Yeah, well, Da Vinci came up with helicopter first.

Also, the tank, the parachute, solar power and the calculator.

Robtard
The Aerial Screw was a helicopter-ish concept, while Verne's was a helicopter that actually came to be.

But fair enough, still goes in line with my point and I wouldn't want to take anything away from Da Vinci, he's a fellow Italian after all smile

Blakemore
I'm fascinated with Da Vinci. Clever bastard.

HappyAutumn
Originally posted by Robtard
The Aerial Screw was a helicopter-ish concept, while Verne's was a helicopter that actually came to be.

But fair enough, still goes in line with my point and I wouldn't want to take anything away from Da Vinci, he's a fellow Italian after all smile WTF is an Italian? Italy is a word it isn't the place. The place is a shifting topology. The 🧬 threads were whiter than Kaylee, now because I had a French mother (and why Biomeriex is still buttfukking me using my father where the fukk are my gang Ryan gr8 onyx, Patrick swaze and Bruce lee's followers and those supporting Bob lazar and jfk against the ATF rn!?) I am rosee -ing the sht flaunting the intellectual and CnS reflexes of having two different hominid species and the skin tone of the more aesthetic one. But I got a scratch or two ON THE FACE YOU NOT THE FACE YOU **** whereas the rest are just incels, and the Mexicans or Spanish East Eurasian Indians or most Italians have black dominant skins unlike me that can actually compete with Chinas schools, China/Korea had the reverse Rosee skin as well they remained mostly Asian/classical Japanese complexion

HappyAutumn
This was a little intentional but ahead of it's time in that way, as so many things are albeit the "quantum replacer"

qj139dE7tFI

Gen x is either the worst (not me) or best, but it's not the last (anyone born between 2010 and now

Blakemore
I love Italy. Its food, its coffee, its wine, its romantic gondola boats, the accent (I could go on)

But seriously though, **** you Robtard.

Tuneit
Originally posted by Blakemore
I love Italy. Its food, its coffee, its wine, its romantic gondola boats, the accent (I could go on)

But seriously though, **** you Robtard. Now he's ("RobtardDarrl"wink has got about 15 demons to deal with good luck doing a side job continuing to be mine

Tuneit
It was Svetlana that allows me to be this Sharpe even when my memory is being jammed remoteky

Robtard
Originally posted by HappyAutumn
WTF is an Italian?

Generally a person born in Italy or of Italian descent. YW

Blakemore
Robertino Tarddio makes good pasta!

Saicrogvmkx
<a href="https://chloroquinephosphates.com/#">what is hydroxychloroquine sulfate</a> is hydroxychloroquine an antibiotic

Robtard
Originally posted by Saicrogvmkx
<a href="https://chloroquinephosphates.com/#">what is hydroxychloroquine sulfate</a> is hydroxychloroquine an antibiotic Broly, hydroxychloroquine was proven not to work in treating covid-19, stop trying to peddle it. SMH

cdtm
Always preferred warp gate theory, ala Babylon 5..

Seems more realistic having these webs of massive gates instead of every random ship being warp capable. Also forces trade routes and actual logical logistical issues of fleets ever being ambushed or cornered when you can warp literally anywhere.

Robtard
Folding space is the best method of FTL travel.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Folding space is the best method of FTL travel. No doubt!

Dorigito
MtXOLkVrdmE

Dorigito
NzR22-jTutc

Jackson69
Laser toroid I know NOPHING unless I get laid!!

Buai
Who tf keeps logging in as mods from yesteryear

Buai
Originally posted by Dorigito
NzR22-jTutc

Buai
Originally posted by Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai
unrealistic expectations

Buai
unrealistic expectations

Buai
OpooooOOOhhh we're halfway therer

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai

Buai
Unrealistic expectations

Buai
Who tf keeps logging in as mods from yesteryear lIIHzrsPkAE

Bttdidureadit

FunyoCozy
Ya want??

FunyoCozy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.