Rogue Squadron vs. Star Fox

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Rogue Squadron is Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles, Biggs Darklighter, and Dak Ralter from Star Wars episodes 4 and 5. All are in Incom T-65 X-wings.

versus

Team Star Fox from the video game series. Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Peppy are in their respective Arwings. Great Fox, the mother ship, is not present to aid with power-ups.

This is an all out dog fight taking place over the Grand Canyon at dusk.

Anything goes.

Pwned
That's Red Squadon, and it's only from 4. All but 2 were shot down in the Trench Run.

Sorry, I just felt like nitpicking big grin

Anyways, Fox team wins. Luke and Wedge aren't very experienced, and Biggs can't do crap.

Dak wasn't even in Red, was he? Anyways, Dak can't do anything either.

Make them EU Rogues, and they stomp. Make them movies, and Star Fox stomps.

BruceSkywalker
since anything goes, Luke calls upon the force to get the job done big grin

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Pwned
That's Red Squadon, and it's only from 4. All but 2 were shot down in the Trench Run.

Sorry, I just felt like nitpicking big grin

Anyways, Fox team wins. Luke and Wedge aren't very experienced, and Biggs can't do crap.

Dak wasn't even in Red, was he? Anyways, Dak can't do anything either.

Make them EU Rogues, and they stomp. Make them movies, and Star Fox stomps.
It's not like Peppy or Slippy can get much done in combat either, at least without always saying "Fox, get this guy off me!".

Sadako of Girth
Skywalker pwoton towpedo wapes that scwewy wabbit wapscallion and his wodent wascal fwiends weally woughwy.

cdtm
If this was video game Rogue Leader, SF would win in a stomp..

The play control in the RL games was pretty terrible..

Ridley_Prime
If you were talking about the 1st Rogue Squadron for N64 then I would more likely agree, lol.

Pwned
You guys realize that Luke as of this time has almost no control over the Force whatsoever, correct?

At the time period he gave, these guys are mostly new. None are particularly renowned for their piloting skills yet.

While Fox has shot down hundreds, if not thousands of aircraft. And giant monsters.

Ridley_Prime
The 1st post included Rogue Squadron during the time of both episodes 4 and 5. On the 3rd game there was at least one on-foot level with the lightsaber during episode 5 where Luke trained with Yoda on the ways of the force on Dagobah, so he should have at least some degree of force abilities/influence while on the X-Wing here.

Would probably be more fair though if the episode 6 abilities/feats for the whole squadron were included as well.

Pwned
Personally, I think the matchup is one-sided either way. EU feats turn the Rogues into badass killing machines of pilots, and take them away and they can hardly do anything.

Luke as of episode 5 still wasn't the best pilot. He had no feats, plain and simple. None of them really do.

Edit: Reread OP, I don't see any mention of the Rogue Squadron games.

Ridley_Prime
So blowing up the death star, taking down AT-ATs, and all that shit don't count as feats now?

Pwned
Oh they do. But considering how it was a one in a million shot, the AT-ATs shot HIM down, and that other "shit" as you put it are only implied, they don't really matter.

For the most part, Luke doesn't get too many screen feats. They wanted to advance the story rather than show dogfights. He has no dogfighting feats is what I was getting at. His wingmen were shot down, he was shot down, etc. etc.

The Scenario
How are X-Wings stat-wise?

I don't pretend to be a Starfox buff, either, but if I recall correctly Arwings can fly on the surface of a sun without much damage.

Pwned
X-Wings can't match that. They have shielding and can jump to hyperspace, but other than that they are not too amazing. They are not as maneuverable as a TIE is in an atmosphere, however. I think Arwings have the advantage there.

And if they can fly on the surface of the sun, I am not sure that the plasma (IE, heat) bolts would damage them.

XanatosForever
Not on, but certainly much closer than X-Wings can. My only hesitation with that is how valid it is. Starfox games tend to offer branching paths, so it's hard to determine which would be considered the canon flythrough.

Pwned
X-Wing's can't even get close to a star.

IIRC, a level you had to do in Star Fox 64 was on the surface of a star. There was even a giant boss monster made of lava or something. Or was that a lava planet? Either way, lava can melt durasteel (as seen in episode 3) and an X-Wing is durasteel. The Arwings took the lava to the cockpit, and there was no damage whatsoever if it had a shield. No real damage on a straight hull shot (as the heat didn't kill the pilot, nor did the obvious lack of a breathable atmosphere)

And that is their version of glass

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.