Peeled bananas offered by 'common sense' supermarket

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Little Caesar
Peeled bananas offered by common sense supermarket
http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2012-09-19/44253/ Peeled_bananas_offered_by_common_sense_supermarket

http://i47.tinypic.com/2nl5yzk.jpg

A supermarket chain which advertises using a slogan that urges more common sense in shopping has been selling peeled bananas on plastic trays wrapped in foil.

But the stunt by the German-owned Billa supermarket chain - part of the Rewe group that has thousands of stores in 9 European countries, has caused outrage among users after it was posted on the firm's Facebook page.

Last night staff moved to distance themselves from the sale of ready-peeled bananas and apologised for the "one off" mistake, saying it would not happen again.

But it failed to stem the tide of social media users that bombarded the page with abuse and threatened a boycott over the ban.

One said that selling ready peeled bananas in a plastic package was the ultimate symbol of waste and the throw-away society.

A spokesman for Greenpeace in Austria where the peeled bananas had been on sale said: "If there is an easy to open ready packed food it's the banana - peeling it only to pack it in environmentally unfriendly plastic is just madness."
---
Austrian Times

Laurie
Originally posted by Little Caesar
Peeled bananas offered by common sense supermarket

A spokesman for Greenpeace in Austria where the peeled bananas had been on sale said: "If there is an easy to open ready packed food it's the banana - peeling it only to pack it in environmentally unfriendly plastic is just madness."
---
Austrian Times

Fascinating. I think I would agree tho, that it is going a bit too far, unless someone wants to use them fr a dessert, or cake. But, if one wants just one banana, then, once the pack is opened it could be difficult to keep the rest fresh. The are nororiously susceptible to rapid degeneration, once peeled.

smile

Telpy
Hilariously retarded!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.