WB Marketing/Research survey LCBS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=67796

Lol, really? I mean if this is accurate...WTF.

It is quite mind boggling that DC apparently has no idea how best to put together a film franchise outside of Nolan's Dark Knight Saga.

Newjak
Wow that's crazy, although I guess it could just be called research.

It's mostly funny how secretive they were about it laughing out loud

Galan007
It amazes me that the people in charge of making comic book films have no clue about the characters they are planning to use, and think the best way to 'research' said characters is to troll people who actually read comics.

...And people wonder why Marvel's film industry>DC's. facepalm

Newjak
Originally posted by Galan007
It amazes me that the people in charge of making comic book films have no clue about the characters they are planning to use, and think the best way to 'research' said characters is to troll people who actually read comics.

...And people wonder why Marvel's film industry>DC's. facepalm True

-Pr-
WB are, and have been for a while, a bunch of tards.

roughrider
If I was there, I would say Aquaman is still a character to be made fun of, an Ant-Man movie would be a waste of time, and keep Frank Miller the hell away from any DC (or Marvel) film property. The man's head is stuck in Sin City and he can't get it out.

Newjak
Originally posted by roughrider
If I was there, I would say Aquaman is still a character to be made fun of, an Ant-Man movie would be a waste of time, and keep Frank Miller the hell away from any DC (or Marvel) film property. The man's head is stuck in Sin City and he can't get it out. Depending on how they did it Aquaman could be awesome, Ant-Man could be good. Frank Miller part is probably true.

Golgo13
Stop saying, "DC". They have no control over what WB puts out.

Endless Mike
A Hank Pym movie featuring his identities as Ant-Man and Giant-Man and maybe with Ultron in it would be good

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Golgo13
Stop saying, "DC". They have no control over what WB puts out.

They have enough input to put together a decent film franchise if they were so inclined. Especially considering Johns' chief role is basically helping DC in other mediums including movies and the like.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Lol, oh DC.

Golgo13
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
They have enough input to put together a decent film franchise if they were so inclined. Especially considering Johns' chief role is basically helping DC in other mediums including movies and the like.

But they are not and that is the point. ULTIMATELY it's WB studios that green lights their stuff. DC doesn't have their own studios like Marvel does.

Though, with DC Entertainment and Diane Nelson at the helm, DC's properties has grown over the years, so that is a plus.

JakeTheBank
Seriously, do you work at DC or something?

Kazenji

Sounds like WB are just ignoring John's and pretending he doesn't exist.

vince_slice
Prep-man is obviously one of those undercover WB/DC agents in the article sent to infiltrate KMC. He promotes DC movies, brings up threads with obscure DC characters, has all this knowledge of DC movie productions, and makes one-sided DC versus threads. The dots are too easy to connect, he's one of them!

Golgo13
Johns is a consultant, nothing more. It's not like he green lights projects. It's not a big deal.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Kazenji
Sounds like WB are just ignoring John's and pretending he doesn't exist.

Didn't he have say over the Green Lantern movie? No wonder the executives are ignoring him. That's why WB brought in Nelson, so their properties can grow and it has worked so far.

roughrider
Didn't he have say over the Green Lantern movie? No wonder the executives are ignoring him. That's why WB brought in Nelson, so their properties can grow and it has worked so far.

What's grown? Nothing new has happened on the big screen front since the Green Lantern debacle. They're sticking with the safer bets, Batman and Superman (and he isn't as safe a bet as Batman, currently), and recycling the Smallville formula for properties like Green Arrow (I'm not calling it just 'Arrow') and another try with Wonder Woman after the failed TV exercise last year. The Justice League movie so far is nothing but hot air and confused ideas.

Golgo13
What's grown? Nothing new has happened on the big screen front since the Green Lantern debacle. They're sticking with the safer bets, Batman and Superman (and he isn't as safe a bet as Batman, currently), and recycling the Smallville formula for properties like Green Arrow (I'm not calling it just 'Arrow') and another try with Wonder Woman after the failed TV exercise last year. The Justice League movie so far is nothing but hot air and confused ideas.

There are other avenues besides movies. Currently DC Nation is pretty big on Cartoon Network and WB is still doing quality shows. Arrow and a new Wonder Woman show is in the works. Not to mention video games as well. You'll have Injustice Gods Among Us and JLA in the prequel to Batman Arkham series. Diane Nelson has done a solid job so far and will probably continue to grow. That is the primary reason WB hired her.

So far, WB has hired a legit screen writer for the new JL movie (has been in the works for almost a year) and they just need to grab a solid director.

WhiteWitchKing
Um yeah while DC is working on their cartoons, Marvel is finishing up their Iron Man franchise, working on sequels for Thor and Captain America, expanding into space with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and secured Whedon for sequels of their billion dollar hit The Avengers.

So while DC is moving along and occasionally saying other movie franchise are in the works, everybody else is losing their patience. Cartoons are great but people want live action. They've seen enough incarnations of animated DC. By the time Darkseid comes to the big screens, all the kiddies will think he's just a Thanos clone. Lol.

Golgo13
Only fanboys lose patience. WB is the most profitable studio pretty much each year. They no longer have the luxury of the Potter franchise and Nolan's Batman has ended this year. There is a reason why no DC movie will come out other than Man of Steel, so they can have a clear path on what to do. Movies just don't pump out and if they do rush it, it will most likely suck. Which is to say most super hero films.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Endless Mike
A Hank Pym movie featuring his identities as Ant-Man and Giant-Man and maybe with Ultron in it would be good

IMO, they played the Thanos card wayyyy too early. Would have been nice if Avengers 2 had something to do with Ant Man and Ultron. Ultron could jack a few Iron Man armors and Thor and Hulk going to town on Stark's pricey toys would make a helluva fight scene, IMO. stick out tongue

-Pr-

No, he didn't have say. He was just brought on set to see how it was going.

There are other avenues besides movies. Currently DC Nation is pretty big on Cartoon Network and WB is still doing quality shows. Arrow and a new Wonder Woman show is in the works. Not to mention video games as well. You'll have Injustice Gods Among Us and JLA in the prequel to Batman Arkham series. Diane Nelson has done a solid job so far and will probably continue to grow. That is the primary reason WB hired her.

So far, WB has hired a legit screen writer for the new JL movie (has been in the works for almost a year) and they just need to grab a solid director.

The Arkham prequel is a rumour, that's all.

Only fanboys lose patience. WB is the most profitable studio pretty much each year. They no longer have the luxury of the Potter franchise and Nolan's Batman has ended this year. There is a reason why no DC movie will come out other than Man of Steel, so they can have a clear path on what to do. Movies just don't pump out and if they do rush it, it will most likely suck. Which is to say most super hero films.

WB has shown a disturbing lack of knowledge and enthusiasm when it comes to comic book properties on the big screen, though.

Green Lantern could have, and should have been much better.

If Man of Steel doesn't do well, which is up in the air at this point, DC is going to have a hard time coming back from it.

Golgo13
I thought the Arkham prequel news was released on Newsarama. And I'm not disputing that WB has no clue, HOWEVER they are a all genre studio that doesn't specify in super heroes. Which is why it's a good thing to hire consultants. Frank Miller being the latest rumor.

Golgo13
This was the link I was talking about, PR...

http://www.newsarama.com/film/arkham-city-prequel-justice-league.html

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Nibedicus
IMO, they played the Thanos card wayyyy too early. Would have been nice if Avengers 2 had something to do with Ant Man and Ultron. Ultron could jack a few Iron Man armors and Thor and Hulk going to town on Stark's pricey toys would make a helluva fight scene, IMO. stick out tongue

That sounds like it would be good. Also they could have used Kang for an Avengers movie villain.

-Pr-
This was the link I was talking about, PR...

http://www.newsarama.com/film/arkham-city-prequel-justice-league.html

Yeah, I remember reading it.

DARTH POWER

It is quite mind boggling that DC apparently has no idea how best to put together a film franchise outside of Nolan's Dark Knight Saga.

facepalm

It's just sooooo SAD!

roughrider
Originally posted by Endless Mike
That sounds like it would be good. Also they could have used Kang for an Avengers movie villain.

Thanos is the heavy everyone wants to see. They are holding him back as much as they need to - it would have been too early to have the Avengers fighting him openly in the first film.

I'm not so high on the idea of Kang as a villain. People who are capable of time travel, it requires too much suspension of disbelief as to why they don't just travel far back enough to settle any problem they have. It's something I don't like in comics.

Newjak
Thanos is the heavy everyone wants to see. They are holding him back as much as they need to - it would have been too early to have the Avengers fighting him openly in the first film.

I'm not so high on the idea of Kang as a villain. People who are capable of time travel, it requires too much suspension of disbelief as to why they don't just travel far back enough to settle any problem they have. It's something I don't like in comics. Maybe comic fans want to see him, but I think they played him well. I don't like the idea of Kang either.

Personally I don't think they played the Thanos card to early. It makes sense to have him as the big bad for the next one. He links everything that has happened so far quite nicely.

Golgo13
I'd rather see Kang than Thanos. I think a lot of people would be open to time travel, if done right.

Newjak
I'd rather see Kang than Thanos. I think a lot of people would be open to time travel, if done right. It's hard to do time travel right and it would be so out of left field based on what all the other movies were built on.

In the long list of Avengers Villains Kang would be low for me.

I would rather see Ultron than Kang.

roughrider
I'd rather see Kang than Thanos. I think a lot of people would be open to time travel, if done right.

Another problem doing Kang right, is that he's the descendent of both Doctor doom and Reed Richards. That could put him under the Fantastic Four banner, who's screen-rights are still owned by Fox.

Ultron gets in line at least before Kang. it's a natural way to bring Hank Pym and Janet into the lineup.

-Pr-
Except that, sadly, if the rumours are true Hank Pym will be little more than a supporting character in the Ant-Man movie.

gogogadgetgo
Originally posted by Newjak
Maybe comic fans want to see him, but I think they played him well. I don't like the idea of Kang either.

Personally I don't think they played the Thanos card to early. It makes sense to have him as the big bad for the next one. He links everything that has happened so far quite nicely.

I agree. The avengers had to deal with aliens and stuff, having a villain from earth would be retarded for the next film. Thanos is a fitting Villain for the next movie as their going bigger and badder, and who else is bigger and badder than Thanos?

Galactus maybe, but they ruined him in the FF movie so no..Thanos it is!

Bouboumaster

I'm with you with that

ODG
IMO, they played the Thanos card wayyyy too early. Another viewpoint is this: It's only too early, if it doesn't work. If it works, it's fine. Let's face it, I've had trepidation as well for them introducing Thanos here. But that's just fear that they do the job poorly. And I was feelin that way back when Thor and Captain America were being fast-tracked towards Avengers.

I would have loved Ultron. But it's not exactly easy to go from intergalactic army led by an interdimensional god of evil ---> evil crazy robot. The idea of Avengers is "foes that none of them could defeat on their own." People don't know Ultron and frankly, a killer robot running amok just wouldn't resonate with the general audience as being more dangerous than Loki, let alone Loki + alien army.

Sometimes you gotta up the ante.

armedforbattle
Originally posted by ODG
Another viewpoint is this: It's only too early, if it doesn't work. If it works, it's fine. Let's face it, I've had trepidation as well for them introducing Thanos here. But that's just fear that they do the job poorly. And I was feelin that way back when Thor and Captain America were being fast-tracked towards Avengers.

I would have loved Ultron. But it's not exactly easy to go from intergalactic army led by an interdimensional god of evil ---> evil crazy robot. The idea of Avengers is "foes that none of them could defeat on their own." People don't know Ultron and frankly, a killer robot running amok just wouldn't resonate with the general audience as being more dangerous than Loki, let alone Loki + alien army.

Sometimes you gotta up the ante.
Yeah but it's not like ultron has to fight the avengers by himself. Like mentioned above ultron could steal the older iron man armors. Or he could make his own robots (setting up for the vision) ... my only concern with thanos being in avengers 2 is where are they gonna go after that? Not only can thanos wreck the avengers as they are now, they're gonna have to go even stronger for avengers 3. I mean where are they gonna go after thanos? It doesn't get much bigger than him for the avengers.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Except that, sadly, if the rumours are true Hank Pym will be little more than a supporting character in the Ant-Man movie.

That's rather stupid if it turns out to be true, An Ant-Man movie where Hank pym is hardly in it .

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by armedforbattle
Yeah but it's not like ultron has to fight the avengers by himself. Like mentioned above ultron could steal the older iron man armors. Or he could make his own robots (setting up for the vision) ... my only concern with thanos being in avengers 2 is where are they gonna go after that? Not only can thanos wreck the avengers as they are now, they're gonna have to go even stronger for avengers 3. I mean where are they gonna go after thanos? It doesn't get much bigger than him for the avengers.

So the third movie might have to calm the threat down a bit. Make it more of an internal problem. I think Ultron will work well for the third.

Bigger threats don't always make the superior movie. Bane was a much bigger threat than Joker. So what? TDK was still by far the superior movie Imo.

Edit- And even IF A3 can't beat A2 in awesomness, so what? It's not the end of the world. It happens a lot that the 2nd movie is the best one. Doesn't mean the 3rd movie has to suck.

armedforbattle
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
So the third movie might have to calm the threat down a bit. Make it more of an internal problem. I think Ultron will work well for the third.

Bigger threats don't always make the superior movie. Bane was a much bigger threat than Joker. So what? TDK was still by far the superior movie Imo.

Edit- And even IF A3 can't beat A2 in awesomness, so what? It's not the end of the world. It happens a lot that the 2nd movie is the best one. Doesn't mean the 3rd movie has to suck.

That does make some sense, make the 3rd avengers about internal problems.

ODG
Originally posted by armedforbattle
Yeah but it's not like ultron has to fight the avengers by himself. Like mentioned above ultron could steal the older iron man armors. Or he could make his own robots (setting up for the vision) ... my only concern with thanos being in avengers 2 is where are they gonna go after that? Not only can thanos wreck the avengers as they are now, they're gonna have to go even stronger for avengers 3. I mean where are they gonna go after thanos? It doesn't get much bigger than him for the avengers. That's a problem for like 6-8 years down the road at least. Maybe they'll get Galactus' rights back or, who knows, they purchase X-Men's rights and do Avengers Vs. X-Men. Or they do something more personal and contained like Civil War.

WhiteWitchKing
At this point, Marvel would really do something like Civil War or X-Men Vs Avengers. Avengers popularity is on the level of the X-Men at this point so a cinematic clash between the two groups would be a blockbuster the film goers would die to see.

JakeTheBank
I would say the popularity of the Avengers franchise is significantly higher than that of the X-Men one nowadays.

-Pr-
Yep.

Blair Wind

The debacle that was Green Lantern - which could have been, should have been, and really needed to be better - is infecting their ability to do anything else at the moment. Green Lantern is my favorite comic mythos and I'm not sure how they should handle it, but something needs to be done. I liked Ryan Reynolds and blame the editing/smashing of two storylines into one for what went wrong. But they need to convince general audiences that Green Lantern is cool. I think the best way to do that is to make other single stories like Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash - make them well. Then tackle Green Lantern again and get people excited for the shared universe.

With that said, I really don't like the idea of opening with the Justice League and then going backwards to single movies.

The Avengers did so well only because of the hype that grew due to having 4 films lead up to that point. It makes much more business sense to wait till the single movies have led up to a single Justice League film that can pull in large Avenger like numbers.

WhiteWitchKing
They went with the safe route using Reynolds when they should have chosen a better actor that fits the character of Hal Jordan. Reynolds was more Deadpool than Jordan. While Bale wasn't a good Batman, he was a good Bruce Wayne and a good actor for the most part. Marvel chose well with most of their leading cast members except maybe Norton as Bruce Banner, but even then Norton was still better than Reynolds at his role.

However, the new Superman flick's cast looks great. Solid actors that should carry this movie. At this point, Warner Brothers should just license their DC properties to Marvel because Marvel studios would actually put these characters on the big screens better than WB. After seeing Thor, Captain America, and Avengers, yes they would put out good films for Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and JLA. They just need a good writer and some comic writers that's well versed in the history of these characters. But seeing as they got their own properties, they may not even want these DC characters unless they figure the license deal is going to be very profitable.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Blair Wind
The debacle that was Green Lantern - which could have been, should have been, and really needed to be better - is infecting their ability to do anything else at the moment. Green Lantern is my favorite comic mythos and I'm not sure how they should handle it, but something needs to be done. I liked Ryan Reynolds and blame the editing/smashing of two storylines into one for what went wrong. But they need to convince general audiences that Green Lantern is cool. I think the best way to do that is to make other single stories like Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash - make them well. Then tackle Green Lantern again and get people excited for the shared universe.

With that said, I really don't like the idea of opening with the Justice League and then going backwards to single movies.

The Avengers did so well only because of the hype that grew due to having 4 films lead up to that point. It makes much more business sense to wait till the single movies have led up to a single Justice League film that can pull in large Avenger like numbers.

Another way to do GL, IMO, would be to turn it into a TV space opera similar to the style of Babylon 5 or Star Trek. :P

Blair Wind
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
They went with the safe route using Reynolds when they should have chosen a better actor that fits the character of Hal Jordan. Reynolds was more Deadpool than Jordan. While Bale wasn't a good Batman, he was a good Bruce Wayne and a good actor for the most part. Marvel chose well with most of their leading cast members except maybe Norton as Bruce Banner, but even then Norton was still better than Reynolds at his role.

However, the new Superman flick's cast looks great. Solid actors that should carry this movie. At this point, Warner Brothers should just license their DC properties to Marvel because Marvel studios would actually put these characters on the big screens better than WB. After seeing Thor, Captain America, and Avengers, yes they would put out good films for Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and JLA. They just need a good writer and some comic writers that's well versed in the history of these characters. But seeing as they got their own properties, they may not even want these DC characters unless they figure the license deal is going to be very profitable.

I disagree that Reynolds in anyway hurt the GL movie. That was the fault of two storylines that were mashed together, with neither one given a clear focus. That and horrible horrible editing. Some scene sequences made no sense.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Blair Wind
That and horrible horrible editing. Some scene sequences made no sense.

Yeah like when Hal goes back to the GL corps not to ask them for help, but just to get their permission/blessing to fight off Parallax...

WTF was that?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.