STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Outlaws

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

REXXXX

REXXXX
Mandas Alef

On the Rim, you rarely expect to find worlds that are civilized and advanced. Worlds like Alura- with its planetary shield, established nations, and standing armies- are hard to come by out here.

So Mandas Alef does nothing to defeat your expectations. It is not dissimilar to Tatooine in that it is a dry ball of sand floating in space. Except it has a lavender hue to its planet-wide deserts, and the poles look to be iced over, with greenery on the fringes.

"Welcome to Mandas Alef," Moryse says from the pilot's chair of the space dingy you are riding in.

Moryse has come to you from the Free Town of Eret-zo, the only urban center on the planet that is NOT dominated by slavers and warlords. You are not surprised that Eret-zo needs your help, if that is the case.

Wiry Moryse is guiding the old tired ship down to the planet, to land in Eret-zo.

Rio Rio
Rio Rast just watches this Moryse character pilot the ship, and glances out the window to the lavender sand planet outside.

Does Rast know anything about Mandas Alef already or did Moryse have to tell him about it?

REXXXX
You know very little about Mandas Alef aside from it being an unruly, backwater world dominated by warlords and slavers. Except, of course, the Free Town.

"You might want to strap in better," Moryse warns you as the ship descends. It immediately starts blaring out proximity alarms, and you see flashes from the surface below.

Rio Rio
"What's that?" Rio asks when he sees flashes.

REXXXX
"Our welcoming committee," Moryse says.

You can make out the shape of missiles flying up from the surface.

Rio Rio
"They're shooting at us?!" Rio shouts. "What are we doing about it? Is there a gun on this thing? Maybe I can shoot them down before they hit us."

REXXXX
"Relax," Moryse says. "This isn't my first rodeo, Jedi. Watch."

You notice that some of the missiles and blasts coming up from below are streaming into the path of the others... and destroying them well before they reach you.

Moryse steers the craft toward the area that the counter-blasts are coming from, to the left. You see a city there.

Rio Rio
"You're used to this then," Rio Rast says. "Is that the Free Town I see? Where you came from."

REXXXX
"It's a tradition at this point," Moryse says. "And yeah, that's it. Home, sweet home."

The space dingy descends through a series of fiery clouds left behind by colliding missiles and flak cannons before steering fully clear of the enemy artillery and descending to Eret-zo.

The city consists of a small cluster of squat towers, surrounded by a high wall. A variety of smaller buildings squeeze in around the towers, between them and the walls.

At the center is an empty space. Your instincts draw your attention to it.

Rio Rio
"Why is that spot empty?" Rast asks Moryse. "I feel like it shouldn't be."

REXXXX
"That's why you're here," Moryse says. "To refill that empty space. You'll find out more when we get down there. It's not going to be easy but I figure a Jedi can handle it."

It is a short ride down to Eret-zo, and Moryse lands atop one of the squat towers.

Rio Rio
Rio Rast will jump out as soon as the ship lands. More walk slowly than jump, though. He is not super springy when he isn't in a fight, he doesn't want people to know how he is.

"So what now?"

REXXXX
Moryse guides you to a stairwell that descends into the tower, which has a very rustic feel to it. The towers were built long ago, you are sure of that. Moryse confirms it.

"Mandas Alef has known war for centuries," Moryse says. "These towers were designed as fortresses when men fought with swords and arrows. They don't stand up well to lasers and bombs."

Rio Rio
"How are you still fighting a war from here then?" Rast asks. "Wouldn't they be destroyed in a modern battle with lasers and bombs?"

REXXXX
"There WAS something in place to keep them from just melting at the first blast," Moryse says. "I'm sure you can figure out what that was."

Rio Rio
"Shields?" Rast says. "Or bigger guns?"

REXXXX
"Well, both," Moryse says. "But I was talking about the shields. You'll hear more when we get inside..."

Moryse brings you to what can only be a war room. Tables with holographic displays of the desert around Eret-zo and of the planet Mandas Alef dot the room, and men and women and aliens are crowded around them, talking heatedly.

You are then brought before Commander Akkert, the leader of the Eret-zo militias. He is a grizzled old man in a heavily decorated, worn-out uniform. He is stroking his beard and looking over charts and datapads when you walk up with Moryse.

"This is him?" asks Commander Akkert.

"Yes, Commander," Moryse says. "This is the Jedi."

The Commander studies you briefly. "You don't look like a Jedi," Akkert decides.

Rio Rio
"I'm not a Jedi in the strictest sense," Rio says. "I trained with them to Knighthood then left to do my own thing. Is that a problem? Do I not fit your bill?"

REXXXX
"If you can walk the walk, I'm fine," Akkert says. "Worst case scenario, you get killed and we find an actual Jedi."

"Hey now..." Moryse says.

Akkert shrugs. "Like I said. If he can, we're good."

Rio Rio
"What's the job?" Rast asks. "What do you need a Jedi for?"

REXXXX
"Straight to the point," Akkert says. "Good. We're short on time."

Akkert informs you that he needs you to retrieve the shield generator that was stolen from the city. It was the only edge they had over their enemies, and now it's gone. A team of deadly mercenaries slipped in quietly then blasted their way out. They set off across the desert with it, probably intending to sell it to the highest bidder or bring it back to whomever sent them.

The good news is that they will be encumbered by the shield generator, so you can catch up to them and take it back. They also sacrificed many of their thugs in the getaway, so their numbers won't be high.

The bad news is that the city's scouts have reported that enemy city-states are mobilizing. Word has gotten out that the shield generator is gone.

"If they reach Eret-zo without the generator intact," Akkert says, "we're done for."

Rio Rio
"That all sounds pretty bad," Rast says, crossing his arms. "You seem pretty presumptuous that I'm just going to jump in and help, here."

REXXXX
"There'll be money in it for you if you pull this off," Akkert says. "Nothing up front. I'm not paying you to go out into the desert and die."

Rio Rio
Rast is reasonable and tells the commander that that is okay. And he's a Jedi so money is only important to him since he's out here alone.

"I'll do it."

REXXXX
"Good," Akkert says. "The sooner you set out the better. I don't recommend going alone. You'd be outnumbered and outgunned."

Rio Rio
"Are you giving me people to work with?" Rast asks. "I work alone."

REXXXX
"I can give you Moryse I guess," Akkert says.

"What?!" Moryse responds.

"You can show him where to go. You're not a bad shot."

"But up against the Brothers?"

"You'll be with the Jedi. Help him find some other gunslingers and whatnot and you'll be fine. Unless you've brought me a defunct Jedi."

Moryse sighs.

"Alright... let's go find some recruits, Jedi," Moryse says to you.

Rio Rio
"I usually work alone," Rio Rast insists. "I don't like getting others involved in my work. They're liabilities."

REXXXX
"You can't take the Brothers alone, Jedi or not," Moryse quips.

Rio Rio
"Why not?" Rast asks. "Who are they?"

REXXXX
"The Brothers are the most dangerous outlaws on Mandas Alef," Moryse explains. "They're a group of gunslingers that work for the highest bidder. Mercenaries."

Rio Rio
"Mercenaries," Rast spits. "No loyalty for anyone. Killing because they're paid to. I have no pity for their kind. You don't think I could take them alone though?"

REXXXX
"You're only one man," Moryse says. "They've got quite the retinue."

Rio Rio
"How many?" Rast asks.

REXXXX
Moryse isn't sure. The Brothers themselves are a smaller bunch but they drag lots of aspiring murderers and hired guns around with them.

Rio Rio
"Great," Rast says. "What did I get myself into. Okay so we need people that can match the Brothers and also fight an army."

REXXXX
"That's your call," Moryse says. "Just choose well. I don't feel like dying when we get out there."

Rio Rio
"Where should we go?" Rast asks.

REXXXX
Moryse recommends the city's barracks, or some divey drinking establishments near the starport. Both will be plentiful in people who know how to shoot guns.

Rio Rio
We can check the barracks first. Who owns them?

REXXXX
The city government does. It is the standing army they use to defend Eret-zo from attack.

The barracks themselves are near the center of the city, so the troops can distribute as needed quickly. Moryse takes you there and gains you clearance without issue, allowing you to enter what is essentially a massive but very old bunker.

Moryse wants to know what sort of men you're looking for. They have soldiers by the plenty here.

Rio Rio
Rast wants people who can shoot guns but also aren't useless in tracking though Rast can do a lot of that himself.

Random troops for numbers and then some of their leaders or scouts.

REXXXX
"We're not taking an army out there," Moryse says. "How many men do you think we need?"

They do have notable scouts and commanders in their ranks.

Rio Rio
"As many as we can," Rast says. "How many can I take?"

Rast wants to talk to the scouts and commanders that stick out to him. I don't know how I'm reviewing them but maybe from their exploits or experience.

REXXXX
"We can't run out into the desert with Akkert's army," Moryse states.

You can choose four people to take with you, Rast.

Did you want to use any more criteria for narrowing it down?

Rio Rio
Wow that's not many.

Rast wants people who know the terrain and the enemy, experienced fighters, at least one person good at driving a speeder.

REXXXX
It is going to be a Charisma + Observation roll to find who you're looking for and attract their interest. The better you roll, the better your options.

Rio Rio
I guess Ill try that. Rast is not very good with charisma.

REXXXX
It would appear that he isn't very observant either; you roll two successes on five dice. Not your best effort, and you have trouble attracting the sort of interest you want.

Your interested parties include a handful of grunts with limited experience (all Mooks), an young alien soldier named Prathi, and an older scout named Zho-Goi.

Prathi is some sort of avian-reptilian creature who speaks limited Basic. He has a scaly hide and a beaked face, and sharp talons sprouting from his fingers. But he is very much a novice; he hasn't seen much combat because he's young. And he has a REALLY big rifle.

Zho-Goi, on the other hand, is an old man. Human, he sports a lank white mustache and a lifetime of worry lines. He keeps a big pistol strapped to his waist.

"Well... not exactly our local heroes..." Moryse says.

Rio Rio
Does Rast have time to talk to them? Or is it time to go?

REXXXX
"We can chat on the way," Moryse says. He volunteers to drive the speeder you are being given. It is a bulky army speeder, intended for combat rather than speed. It is equipped with a single turret and armor.

It has seating for six people (the driver, four passengers, and the gunner). Moryse picks out a couple average soldiers to tag along with your choices.

Rio Rio
Can I use the big gun on the speeder?

Rast tells Moryse not to bring the soldiers though if they're average. They won't live.

REXXXX
Moryse wants you to be sure about that before he dismisses the average soldiers.

It will be a penalized Guns skill to fire it. It operates best with Heavy Weapons.

Rio Rio
Does Prathi have HW? Seems like he would but I dont know. If he does have him on the gun and the rest of us can ride in the speeder with Moryse driving.

Rast will have his rifle out just in case as they leave the city.

"Think we'll pull this off?" Rast asks Moryse.

REXXXX
Prathi is happy to strap himself into the big ol' turret on the back of the speeder.

"I don't know," Moryse says, starting the speeder. "What is the Jedi say. 'May the Force be with us?' Maybe you should say it yourself, just in case..."

Rio Rio
Rast just stares at Moryse and then says, "Drive.'

REXXXX
Moryse just shakes his head and starts moving the speeder.

The barracks are near the center of the circular walled city of Eret-zo, so Moryse has to drive the speeder out of the barracks toward the towering walls. From inside you can see multiple turbolaser batteries that have retracted beneath the lip of the wall, at uneven intervals. Even larger (and older) artillery pieces stand between the old fortress towers.

You gather curious looks from passerby in the streets - weary soldiers in outdated uniforms, men and woman leading children with overfull duffel bags - but nobody stops to watch you pass.

"They're going to the bunkers," Zho-Goi says. "If we fail, this place becomes a kill zone."

Rio Rio
"We won't," Rast says curtly, settling into the speeder and glancing at the people they pass.

REXXXX
"I hope not," Zho-Goi says. "The Brothers aren't too keen on sparing lives. Everyone's fair game to them."

Moryse takes the route out of the city that follows the direction that the Brothers blasted their way out. The streets they took feature numerous demolished structures and blast craters.

An Observation check from you says that you think those were caused by laser cannons rather than rockets or grenades.

Once Moryse reaches the gate, it has already been opened to allow your speeder to slip out. A multitude of soldiers protecting the gate watch you go. You zip through and leave the protection of Eret-zo's high walls.

The desert beyond is certainly a forbidding place. The dunes stretch on farther than you can see, uninterrupted except for the occasional scraggly spiny tree. It is a cooler day, but everyone encourages you to wrap up to protect yourself from Mandas Alef's sun.

Rio Rio
Rast will do as they ask. He will make any Survival rolls he needs to make sure he is prepared and doing the right thing out here in the desert. He doesn't want to die just because he didn't know what he was doing.

He will have his rifle on his lap and continually check the scope in the direction that they think the Brothers fled.

REXXXX
You feel safe enough from the heat, though the speeder doesn't have air conditioning or anything. Strictly a military machine.

It does have a tracking system installed. Moryse pulls up a mapping screen on the speeder's dash, and zooms out to reveal the estimated location of the Brothers and the city's shield generator.

Moryse and Zho-Goi frown at the screen once it's loaded.

"That's not right," Zho-Goi says.

"They've gone off the road," Moryse says. "And they haven't gone as far as we thought they would've."

Rio Rio
"What does that mean?" Rast says. "Speak plain, we don't have time for theories. Why would they leave the road?"

REXXXX
"They're not going straight to their destination," Moryse says. "I don't know why. The tracking beacon just says they're not far."

"Not far enough," Zho-Goi says. "Not right."

Rio Rio
"Is it a trap?" Rast asks. "They expected us to follow right?"

REXXXX
"It could be," Moryse says. "But if they've got the generator with them, this is the moment we needed. An opportunity to fight them and take it back."

"We'll be walking right into whatever they have planned," Zho-Goi says.

"What does the Jedi think?" asks Prather.

Rio Rio
"I want to get this over with," Rast says. "If they're there, they're there. If the generator is not, they'll still be there. We can bring down their numbers."

REXXXX
Prather likes your outlook, but Zho-Goi and Moryse are less confident. Still, they will follow your lead on this. Moryse puts the landspeeder on route to the tracking beacon's location, eventually leaving the smoothed-over road. Dust billowing behind it, the speeder zips out over the rough and dusty dunes of the Mandas Aleph desert.

"They'll see us coming in the dust," Zho-Goi says.

Rio Rio
"Should we walk?" Rast says. "They're expecting us anyway. I want to make a quick escape if things get ugly."

REXXXX
Moryse is concerned that the speeder would be at risk if you are indeed walking into something. The others will do whatever you think is best.

Rio Rio
"Could we leave someone to protect the speeder?" Rast asks. "Not me, one of you. Would that keep it safe?"

REXXXX
Prather thinks he could hold things down at the speeder and cover you from the turret.

Moryse shrugs. "Why not?"

He pushes the speeder along until the smooth sandy dunes become rocky, with large rounded rock formations quickly dominating the skyline as you approach. The tracking beacon is guiding you toward a cluster of such giant rocks. You can tell almost immediately that the speeder will not fit between the rocks; you will have to go in on foot.

You feel uneasy.

Rio Rio
Rast will dismount from the speeder and slap the charger on his assault rifle.

"Let's go in," Rast says. "We should find somewhere that they could have brought the shield generator in... and then not come in that way."

REXXXX
It will be Observation to spot the sort of entrance you are looking for, if you are avoiding the rather obvious large gap that you find on the opposite side of the rocks.

Rio Rio
Then Rast will make that check unless someone else is a better Obseration. Maybe Zho-Goi.

REXXXX
Zho-Goi, being a tracker, has exceptional Observation. He tells you to wait where you are and goes scouting about. He comes back a moment later, his sleek pistol drawn.

"I've found a way in," Zho-Goi says. "There are bootprints in the sand everywhere. And they aren't ours."

Rio Rio
Rast nods and understands what Zho is saying.

"Ready?" he asks curtly, charging up his rifle.

Rast will make for the entrance Zho found and get ready to confront our enemies.

REXXXX
The 'entrance' is merely a gap between two large rocks. The grainy sand in the path is littered with footprints. Beyond the path is a great sandy clearing, with a few smooth rocks strewn about. You do not see anything or anyone inside.

Rio Rio
Rast will reach out with the Force to see if he can SENSE anyone inside.

REXXXX
Three successes on your Force roll says... there are people nearby. Lots of people.

Rio Rio
"We're expected," Rast says. "I don't know where they are but they're in there. Let's go."

Rast will walk through the pathway with his rifle braced again his shoulder and ready to go.

REXXXX
Zho-Goi and Moryse reluctantly follow you into what is definitely a trap. With each step you take, you develop a creeping sense that you are in danger.

You stride into the shaded clearing in the middle of the rocks, perhaps wondering how the formation came to be. But you are more concerned with the figures up on the outcroppings and ledges of the massive rocks around you. There are easily more than two dozen.

One very large man stands high above you, atop one of the large boulders. He totes something that looks very much like a concussion cannon, and it is pointed at you.

"HELLO!" he bellows. "Glad you could join us! Were you looking for something?"

Rio Rio
"You all took something that doesn't belong to you," Rast shouts back. He hopes his voice is heard. "Doesn't look like the shield generator is here, though. I'll give you a chance to slink away and tell us where to find it."

Can I try to Intimidate?

Should I pick my schticks?

REXXXX
Intimidation might be more appropriate man-to-man or with an army at your back. Not so much when you are outnumbered and an easy target.

The big man with the concussion rifle laughs uproariously, as if you had told a very funny joke.

"Nice try, desperado!" he guffaws. "I don't think we'll do that. Thanks for the chance. Now, say goodbye!

"KILL 'EM!"

Your danger sense spikes...

Rio Rio
Can Rast duck into cover?

Rio Rio
Also use Coordination please. I want to have DW 10K ES in and use DW to defend myself. If you're taking schticks.

REXXXX
You can! Rast hurls himself behind a large rock as the lasers come raining down from the flunkies above. Super-heated sand and flecks of melted rock spray around you but you get into solid cover just in time.

Where you were standing with Zho-Goi and Moryse, there is an enormous bloom of blue energy and a concussive shockwave that washes over you, knocking you against the rock you took cover behind.

The entrance you took to get in is shattered by the blast and rocks tumble down, blocking the path.

You take no damage for the time being, but this rock won't hold long, and probably won't survive a direct blast from that concussion rifle... what do you do now?

Rio Rio
I want to see where the thugs are and start shooting because Rast is not a fan of being shot at. He will move to the next source of cover if he can and shoot away while he does it.

REXXXX
You peek out from cover and see another rock that you can tumble behind. You think you can get a shot off once you get there.

The massive boulders around you are littered with hired guns of all alien species and walks of life. Most are garbed in desert gear, with goggles and scarves and dusters to protect themselves from the heat and sand, and all are carrying blaster carbines and spraying lasers willy-nilly about the area.

You are surrounded, with thugs on all sides. Some have found ledges on the boulders to shoot down from, while most are on top of the rocks.

Mr. Big Gun is perched atop the tallest rock with some of his lackeys; it will take three turns to get up to him and everyone up there with him gets two points of cover when shot at from below. The thugs atop the other rocks have a point of cover when shot at from below, and will take two turns to reach. They also have men in make-shift uniforms with them, carrying big inaccurate repeating rifles.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 1

Center

Rast (G9): 1(1PR)/0 (7F) (cover)

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/0 (2F) (cover)

Zho-Goi (G14): 1(1PR)/0 (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Big Gun: 0 (concussion rifle) (very top)

Thugs (G5) x4 (very top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (high ledge)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

East Rocks

Repeater Thug: 0

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

----

Rio Rio
"Zho!" Rast shouts. "Can you hit the guys with repeaters up top?"

Rast is going to fire at a thug on the low ledge on the north rocks while diving for new cover. He wants to draw Big Gun's fire from the others.

REXXXX
The roll for Initiative comes up Evens at 1-1... so you get to go first!

With 10,000 Bolts, you only hit on 6s and do not get the accuracy bonus from your rifle. You only hit with a 6 on the first shot, and finish him off on the next shot. Not your best shooting.

Moryse totally fluffs his shot, only wounding a thug on the north rock.

Zho-Goi has a trained eye and years of experience to back him up... he puts a bolt into a thug on the south rock to trim their numbers with six 6s (with a Gunslinger conversion).

Oh boy... eight shooters on each among your posse, with a repeater thug on each, and Mr. Big Gun gunning for you, Rast.

Moryse gets lucky; most of the thugs hit the rock he's cowering behind with their fire, and he gets a Reflex shot with Return Fire. He makes up for his bad shot by blowing away another guy with his heavy pistol. The Repeater Guy gets a hit on him but not a second hit. He takes 3 damage total (after damage reduction from Glancing Hits).

Zho-Goi is missed entirely.

You take 6 damage from general thug fire, then duck clear of the Repeater Guy's volley. Mr. Big Gun opens fire and misses, but the rock you were hiding behind is completely obliterated. You are showered with fragments.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 2

Center

Rast (G9): 1(1PR)/6 (7F)

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/3 (2F) (cover)

Zho-Goi (G14): 1(1PR)/0 (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (very top)

Thugs (G5) x1* (ledge)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x1 (ledge)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x1 (ledge)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

----

Moryse and Zho will lose their cover with the next volley. You are exposed!

Rio Rio
Switch 10K out for MK in, Rast will shoot at whatever Repeater Guy is firing at him.

REXXXX
6-2, Initiative is yours again!

Moryse blasts down a thug with a messy blat from his heavy pistol. Zho-Goi shows a little more finesse in blasting down another.

Rast... all the sand and fire dancing about you must be throwing you off your game. You roll no successes on your shot; the laser harmlessly explodes on the rock. Mr. Big Gun probably laughs at you.

The thugs split their fire seven ways this time, and a repeater each. Out in the open, you take hits for 8 damage as you struggle to keep clear of the blasts. The Repeater Guy randomly rakes the ground near you. Big Gun shoots just as well as you did; he rolls 2 successes, one of which is negated by EOTS. You take just 3 damage there when the ground next to you is pounded into dust.

Moryse takes light damage from thugs, then blasts down another thug who exposes himself. A Repeater Guy finishes widdling down his cover to rock splinters.

Zho gets off light again, well-protected with EOTS and cover, but his cover is gone after the barrage his way.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 3

Center

Rast (G11): 1(1PR)/6 (7F)

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/3 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G14): 1(1PR)/3 (4F)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (very top)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

Thugs (G5) x2 (ledge)

----

Rio Rio
Can I find more cover? Does jumping up onto a ledge remove the penalty for shooting at the thugs on top of rocks?

If it does then Rast will jump onto a ledge and shoot a thug up near Big Gun.

Actually do it anyway.

REXXXX
2-4 puts Initiative with Big Gun and gang. They keep up their rate of fire, with the Repeater Guys spraying haphazardly around the center area. Six on Zho (who has established himself as the most competent shooter) and five each on Moryse and Rast.

Zho-Goi takes two hits for 8 damage. A Repeater Guy misses him.

Moryse takes four hits for 6 damage. A Repeater Guy hits him for 3 more damage but fails his continued shot. Moryse gets a kill on his Return Fire shot.

Rast takes three hits for 11 damage. A Repeater Guy misses you.

Mr. Big Gun decides to casually start blowing away the rocks in the center area to deprive you of cover.

Zho-Goi notices Moryse's close call with a Repeater Guy and takes action. Tapping Marksman quadruples his accuracy bonus from his pistol, while Eagle Eye doubles his successes and Gunslinger counts all 1s as successes. He rolls 11 of them (two of which are ignored by Parry and cover), which totals up at 20 damage.

He calmly lines up his shot and puts a bolt through a Repeater Guy's heart. He drops off the top of the west rocks.

Moryse guns down another thug, meaning all the low ledges are clear.

Your shot, however, is a failure; you only roll two successes, which is not good enough to bypass the awkwardness of shooting someone on the highest rock.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 4

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/9 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G8): 1/11 MK GS EE] (4F)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (very top)

Rast (G11): 1(1PR)/17 (7F) (ledge)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

----

REXXXX
Actually, you manage to get one success in there, having jumped up to the ledge. A thug takes one hit.

Rio Rio
Rast will jump up another level to the high ledge and shoot a thug next to him.

REXXXX
3-5 keeps Initiative with the thugs, which Mr. Big Gun takes advantage of. Seeing Rast jumping toward him, Big Gun swings his concussion rifle down at the high ledge beneath him. The thugs there shout at him but are drowned out by the deafening whump of the gun's discharge and subsequent blast. The high ledge is pulverized and Rast must make an Agility check to avoid the falling rocks; he passes, sidestepping the debris.

Now it would need a Great Leap to jump to the top of Big Gun's rock, or a Strength roll to climb up.

I will hold Rast's action.

The thugs split their fire five ways, with an extra on Zho.

Zho takes 10 damage. The Repeater Guys stay clear of him.

Moryse takes 9 damage (after reductions and including a Repeater Guy) but gets another reflex shot in. He only manages to wound a thug this time, due to the ledge obstruction.

Rast takes 6 damage and then 4 from a Repeater Guy.

Moryse finishes off the wounded thug, and Zho shoots down another.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 5

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/18 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G8): 1/21 GS EE] (4F)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4* (very top)

Rast (G11): 1(1PR)/27 (7F) (ledge) (one turn held)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x4 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3 (top)

----

Rio Rio
Can Rast jump onto an adjacent rock and then jump up to the very top without spending a Great Leap point?

REXXXX
Yes you can.

Rio Rio
Rast is going to jump up onto East rocks from the North ledge last turn and shoot a thug by Big Gun. This turn he then does the jump to the very top of the North. Swap MK for 10B and tap 10B.

REXXXX
Last turn, then, Rast jumped over to the East rocks, probably startling the Repeater Guy there with his impossible acrobatics. You land in a crouched position and line up your shot. Three successes is reduced to two by the awkward angle of shooting at the very top of the North rocks, but you only need two to bullseye a thug.

4-5, Initiative remains with the baddies, meaning Moryse and Zho remain under fire as they start edging back toward cover. Moryse takes 6 damage (and misses his Return Fire), Zho takes 12. The Repeater Guys both miss; their guns are terribly inaccurate and they aren't much good themselves.

Miraculously, Rast is totally missed by the thugs. Mr. Big Gun has taken note of his attempts to reach him via some curiously super-powered acrobatics and lets off a mighty shot from his concussion gun. Five successes scores him a hit of 9 damage on Rast, but also hurts the Repeater Guy nearby and knocks a thug from the East rock.

Moryse misses another thug, while Zho-Goi spins a second slender pistol into his other hand and calmly fires at another thug but does not finish him off.

Then Rast gets aggressive! Tapping 10,000 Bolts gives you two hits for 8 damage on Big Gun, jumping straight for him and holding down the trigger. He does not like that and taps Eye of the Storm, negating the attack.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 6

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/24 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G8): 1/33 EE] MK GS] (4F)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3* (very top)

Rast (G11): 1(1PR)/36 10B ES DW] (7F) (very top)

East Rocks

Repeater Thug: 7

Thugs (G5) x3* (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3 (top)

----

Rio Rio
Tap Eye of the Storm to void the Big Gun's damage and tap Marksman this turn (swap 10B out for MK and tap) to shoot at Big Gun now that he is defenseless since he tapped EOTS too.

REXXXX
6-1 goes to you! And it's a Refresh!

Big Gun tapped prematurely, perhaps expecting you to resort to melee having gotten up close. You put a precise shot in on 14 dice, resulting in 8 successes and 11 damage to Big Gun. A bolt burns across his ribcage, narrowly avoided. He yowls in anger and gestures for the men with him to concentrate on you.

Down below, Moryse scrambles into cover and pops off his best shot in the fight with five successes. Zho-Goi heads to the bottom of the west rocks to keep those up on them from firing at him. He shoots down a thug on the south rocks.

Zho's efforts to stay out of the line of fire have little effect; he still has four shooters on him, two of whom hit for 6 damage. He is wearing out fast.

Moryse has three shooters and now BOTH Repeaters gunning at him. He takes 3 damage from the thugs, then a miss from a Repeater, then 3 more from the second Repeater. He decides to put his Return Fire shot into one of the repeaters, hitting for 7 damage.

Rast, now defenseless himself and concentrated on shooting Big Gun, takes 8 damage from the thugs next to him, and then 4 damage from Big Gun he hazards a shot from his concussion rifle, blowing a chunk out of the rock beside you and knocking you down.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 7

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/30 (2F) (cover)

North Rocks

Big Gun: 11 (concussion rifle) (very top)

Thugs (G5) x3* (very top)

Rast (G9): 1/39 MK ES DW] (7F) (very top)

East Rocks

Repeater Thug: 14

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x3 (top)

Zho-Goi (G11): 1/39 GS] (4F) (bottom)

----

Lesson for that turn- don't ignore the mooks! They are dangerous in large numbers, as you have been seeing in the main game.

Rio Rio
Switch ES for SF, tap DW, tap SF.

Rast will drop his rifle and slug a thug in the face, then sidestep another shot and slug the next thug too.

REXXXX
Evens gives it to the bad guys this time.

Zho-Goi takes another two hits for 6 damage, this time with a laser burning across his leg. From up on the rock, you can see him slowing down.

Moryse has his cover blown away as all five shooters roll a success each. Nothing that touches him, but the rock he was cowering behind becomes slag. He zings a thug for a hit.

Your shooters cannot enough touch you with a Dodge & Weave tap running your Defense up to 6. It also reduces Big Gun down to three dice. He promptly rolls three 6s, but the damage is reduced to 2 points. You move fluidly among the bolts and concussion blasts, and your Reflex attack with Street Fighting goes well, cracking a thug across the jaw and sending him rolling off the rock.

Your actual attack for the turn goes less well; you have a high Agility but low Combat score. You roll two 6s and rough up another thug.

Moryse finishes off his thug.

Zho-Goi moves out into cover again and makes another super tap, sending a volley from both guns up at the untouched Repeater Guy. He is riddled with lasers and goes down.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 8

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/30 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G11): 1(1PR)/45 BB EE] GS] (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2** (very top)

Rast (G9): 1/39 MK SF DW] ES] (7F) (very top)

East Rocks

Repeater Thug: 14

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

----

Rio Rio
Swap DW for Orthodox Guard. Rast draws his lightsaber and cuts through the gun of the thug he socked.

"I gave you the chance to flee," Rast says to Big Gun in his raspy voice.

REXXXX
Evens, so back to you this time. You only need a success to dispatch the mook beside you, slashing the gun out of his hands. Big Gun is surprised about what kind of weapon you just drew.

Moryse misses his thug but gets back into cover, and Zho, switching back to a more precise style with Marksman, blasts down his with seven successes. His target, of course, was the last Repeater Guy.

Moryse and Zho stay clear this turn, while you deflect the last thug's blast with laughable ease. Big Gun taps Kaboom! to get you for 9 damage, counting four 4s as successes.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 9

Center

Moryse (G8): 1(2A)/30 (2F)

Zho-Goi (G11): 1(1PR)/45 EE] GS BB] (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Thugs (G5) x1 (very top)

Rast (G9): 3/48 MK SF] ES PS BL RI] (7F) (very top)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

West Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

----

Rio Rio
Rast twists out of the way of the big blast from Big Gun's concussion rifle. He tries to keep his balance. Once he is ready, he cuts down the thug next to Big Gun to leave them alone together.

Bring in Riposte, take out SF, and spend Evade on Big Gun if he shoots.

REXXXX
Moryse actually did another Return Fire last turn... but he failed to do much with it.

5-6, you come under fire first.

Moryse Returns Fire again, only taking a 1-point hit and blowing away its shooter in return. Zho's cover saves him from trouble.

You take a hit for 3 damage from the thug, but you Evade another cannonade from Big Gun as you blur nimbly around his shots. You then lunge in and run through the thug, leaving you, indeed, alone with Mr. Big Gun. He looks more angry than nervous about this.

Moryse and Zho gun down a bad guy each. Moryse taps Glancing Hits to remove some damage.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 10

Center

Moryse (G8): 1/20 GH] (2F) (cover)

Zho-Goi (G11): 1(1PR)/45 GS BB EE] (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Rast (LS10): 3/51 MK] ES SF PS BL] (6F) (very top)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

West Rocks

Clear

----

Rio Rio
"Just you and me," Rast says. He is fairly nervous about how much damage he has taken himself but he does not let it show. He acts aggressive and jumps at Big Gun.

Use Evade again and attack. Bring in Perfect Strike for Marksman.

REXXXX
1-5 sees the thugs fire down on your companions ineffectually, and Moryse mirroring that ineffectual shooting while Zho blasts down a thug.

Big Gun misses again with your Evading his frantic blasts. You slash back with three successes and figure out that he knows how to handle himself up close; he sidesteps your slash, only taking 9 damage from the effort.

----

AMBUSH ON THE ROCKS, Start of Turn 11

Center

Moryse (G8): 1/20 GH] (2F) (cover)

Zho-Goi (G11): 1(1PR)/45 GS BB EE] (4F) (cover)

North Rocks

Big Gun: 20 (concussion rifle) (very top)

Rast (LS10): 3/51 MK] ES SF PS BL] (6F) (very top)

East Rocks

Thugs (G5) x2 (top)

South Rocks

Thugs (G5) x1 (top)

West Rocks

Clear

----

Rio Rio
Attack him again and tap Riposte this time. Make sure you got my swap last turn I want that armor.

REXXXX
4-2 gives you Initiative! And another Refresh.

Six successes from you sees a slice of skin carved from Big Gun's upper arm as he sidesteps a swing of your saber. He takes 12 damage there. He growls and tries to shoot back, but only rolls a single success, so you avoid the blast with an Agility check, then Riposte back! He takes another 14 damage as you slash at him.

Moryse and Zho blast down a thug each, then Moryse blasts down the final guy in a cacophonous final exchange.

"You're dead, Jedi!" Big Gun yowls, powering up his concussion rifle for another blast. He charges toward you, intending to bowl you over and splatter you against the rock with the following rifle discharge.

Rio Rio
Rast will go all out, tapping Orthodox Guard and Block and spending another point on Flurry. He swings his lightsaber until the Big Gun stops coming at him.

REXXXX
As Big Gun comes running toward you, you step to one side and drop to a knee, avoiding his first blast and cutting into his rib cage. As you rise, you slash across his right shoulder blade. With your pool halved and Big Gun tapping Close Quarters Gunman, you only had two dice, inflicting 12 damage.

Big Gun then turns around and drops to a knee himself, sending a volley toward you. Tapping Kaboom! again, he gets four successes. Orthodox Guard's tapped effect ignores two of them, but you must avoid the shot with an Agility check... which you fail.

However, it is only 4 damage as you throw yourself prone and land hard on the rock.

Big Gun towers over you, pressing muzzle of the concussion rifle into your stomach.

Rio Rio
Does Rast have options for getting away from this? Can I use powers? I think I'm tapped out except for Perfect Strike.

So I'll tap Perfect Strike and use Evade to make sure that the Big Gun doesn't blow me in half.

REXXXX
You start to struggle out from under the tremendous muzzle, and Big Gun starts squeezing the trigger...

... just before a laser bolt streaks up from below and catches him in the left side of his rib cage. He gasps once, then falls forward on top of you.

Zho-Goi, having tapped Marksman, finished him off with a single shot.

Rio Rio
Rast will give a sigh of relief that he isn't being blasted in half and push Big Gun off of him. Is he for sure dead? Rast will check.

REXXXX
Big Gun is most definitely dead, and your life saved.

From up on the rock, you see below you two dozen deadbeats who met unfortunate ends out in the desert, and an old gunslinger and an amateur pilot in the middle of it all. Zho-Goi settles himself on one of the blast-shattered lavender rocks that dots the center of the ring of carnage.

"Are you okay?" Moryse shouts up to you.

Rio Rio
"Yes," Rast shouts down. He starts to climb down after picking up his lightsaber and his assault rifle. He makes it down slowly because of his hurts but when he does, he strides up to Zho and Moryse.

"Are you okay too?"

REXXXX
Moryse affirms that he is okay, but Zho-Goi looks very worn out by the fight.

"What was the point of that?" Moryse queries.

"A distraction," Zho responds, with a sigh.

Rio Rio
"what do you mean?" asks Rast. "They left part of their forces here to waste our time? That's very wasteful, they would have been more of a threat all together if this was only some of them. Where would the rest be?"

Rast is trying to act confident even though they almost lost here.

REXXXX
"Either we did what we did by coming here and fighting them," Zho says, "or we walked past and they flanked us later. This way, we've delayed, and the Brothers have a lead. That could be bad or very bad."

Rio Rio
"So they're ahead of us still," Rast says. "Why bad or very bad? No good option, hmm? Where are they even going?"

REXXXX
Zho-Goi estimates that they night be heading for the nearest major city, Khur-M. It is an ancient fortress that was reinhabited by a group of exiled criminals somewhere in the last few centuries.

"Giving them a shield generator would greatly excel their influence and power," Zho says. "We have to stop them."

Rio Rio
"I think that was already our goal," Rast says to Zho. "We shouldn't waste any time but I don't know if I'm in a state to bring the fight to them right now. I'm pretty beat up."

REXXXX
A light poke would take you down right now, Rast, and Zho is in a similar state and agrees with you.

You can choose how long you stay put and recuperate. The longer you take, the more damage is healed, but the farther away the shield generator gets. You can apply Medicine ratings and take off 5 points of damage for each rest period.

Rio Rio
Do any of Rast's allies have Medicine? Rast has 1 point in Meds.

REXXXX
All three of your allies do possess Medicine skills. Surprisingly, Prathi is your best medic. He is grumpy that he missed the fight.

"Me understand hooman biology," Prathi says. "In theory. Do much study. Think I can apply. You get all blasty with no me."

Prathi has a Medicine score of 8. Zho-Goi has a score of 6. Moryse has a score of 5.

Rio Rio
Can Zho-Goi heal me and Prathi will heal him, can Moryse and I can heal Moryse? Do we have medical supplies?

REXXXX
You have enough medical supplies a round of healing. Anything after will be straight healing scores applied to your damage.

Rio Rio
Okay let's do that then. With medpacks or whatever it doubles the raiting so Prath does 16 healing, Zho does 12, and we do 10 each. +5 for rest.

Zho 24
Rast 38
Mor 0
Prathi 0

Can we do another round of healing? It'd just be low scores but we need it for me.

Zho 13
Rast 25
Prathi 0
Moryse 0

So there we go after two rounds.

REXXXX
Two rounds it is! Which leaves Zho and Rast will about halfway knackered but better than standing at death's door as you were after that ambush. Hard to wage war against a gang of outlaws when you're having trouble standing...

Moryse is eager to get moving again and Prathi wants to shoot things, so you pile back into the speeder and start along on the main path again, leaving the smoldering ring of rocks and slain marauders behind.

"Will we catch them on the open road?" Moryse asks Zho.

"No," Zho says after a moment of examining your position. "With how far we've driven and how much time they've had... I'd say we'll catch them in the canyons."

"Great..." Moryse says. "More rocks for them to hide behind and for me to run into."

Rio Rio
"I can help navigate those if that's the problem," Rast says. "Trust my instincts. I know more than I should a lot of the time. And if the issue be fighting, we'll fight them off. They weren't so tough."

REXXXX
"You haven't met the tough ones," Zho grunts. "You've met their underlings and clingers-on."

"Just keep that Jedi magic going," Moryse says. "Let me know if you pick up anyone coming sooner than the radar does."

It takes a few hours before you start to reach the outskirts of the canyon-striped territory Zho warned about. Perhaps you had pictured one large canyon when it was mentioned to you, but now, as you descend into this area, you can see a series of criss-crossing canyons as far as the horizon.

"Here we are," Moryse groans. "No sign of them yet."

"They've already entered the canyons," Zho suggests.

Your senses concur, Rast. You will meet the Brothers soon.

Rio Rio
"Looks inviting," Rast says. "We're going to have to go in after them. Unless we can go around and head them off?"

REXXXX
Zho says it would take longer to get around the canyons than it would for them to go through.

"Then they'd have walls to hide behind," Zho says.

Moryse will nudge the landspeeder forward and enter the closest canyon. Zho draws his pistol and Prathi powers up the turret gun.

Rio Rio
Rast gets his rifle out and keeps checking through the sights to make sure the scope is ready. Keep Marksman in. Does the speeder give me armor or cover with my Eye of the Storm?

REXXXX
It provides some light cover to those inside. Anyone on the heavy gun gets an extra point of Armor too, as it has some metal plates set up around the repeating gun.

Rio Rio
Great, that will keep Prathi up for some time I'm guessing. We need to make sure we use that gun well. It's a Heavy Weapon right?

Rast just keeps an eye out and is ready for anything. He tells Zho to keep an eye out for any attacks from behind too, so we're not flanked or ambushed.

REXXXX
It is Heavy Weapons to fire it.

No sense putting off the inevitable much longer. Moryse steers the speeder through the deep but narrow canyons ahead.

"We need to find the larger canyons," Moryse says. "The shield generator couldn't have fit through..."

A laser bolt pings off the hull of your speeder with a flash of sparks and a puff of smoke. Moryse keeps control despite being startled, while Prathi and Zho are already looking for the shooter.

Moryse was more startled by the fact that you grabbed the wheel from him. You sensed the bolt coming from behind and saved the speeder from a lethal hit.

Rio Rio
Rast pulls his hand back and gives the wheel back to Moryse. He turns around and snaps his assault rifle up, ready to open fire on whomever is tailing them.

REXXXX
You spot your attacker immediately. A figure in patchy armor riding a speeder bike is trailing you by some distance and hazarded an early shot. He is closing in.

Moryse then gives a shout and slams on the air brakes to avoid hitting something. He makes a Pilot roll to avoid losing control of the speeder. Not the best driver, Moryse smashes into the canyon wall. Your speeder takes 10 damage and stalls from the impact, and everyone inside takes 5 damage too.

Rio Rio
Rast grunts as he is thrown against the dash, wishing this death trap had seat belts and happy Moryse kept the thing from flipping.

"What the hell was that?" Rast asks, looking forward to whatever Moryse tried to avoid.

REXXXX
Moryse makes a quick reverse. As he does so, something bright and solid collides with the canyon wall. The ensuing explosion fills the canyon ahead with debris and smoke, obscuring the source of the shot but leaving you no doubt as to what provided the volley.

"TANK!" Moryse yells.

The way onward is blocked, and you all find yourselves pinched between two enemy vehicles.

Rio Rio
"Reverse!" Rast shouts to Moryse. "We can't go through the tank! We need to go around!"

Rast is going to try shooting at the approach biker. Use 10K for a burst of lasers.

REXXXX
Moryse throws the speeder into reverse at your behest. He rolls three successes and keeps the speeder stable.

You spray away at the oncoming biker! You roll three 6s on six dice, then two more 6s successes on three dice. The bike has two points of Armor and the biker employs Jinks Master, so all told, 5 damage to the speederbike.

Zho-Goi shoots a little sharper than you do. He ignores the speederbike's armor but still takes a point off for Jinks Master. 9 damage from his Marksman/Gunslinger/Eagle Eye combo shot. It dings off the front.

The biker wasn't making any effort to avoid you and opens up into the rear of the landspeeder. It takes 3 damage, making it shudder as it backs into the lasers.

Prathi has the mounted blaster rattling away in the direction of the tank. You cannot tell if it is having any effect with all the debris and smoke around the tank.

Rio Rio
Rast keeps shooting at the bike since he doesn't have another target. Tap 10K into it.

REXXXX
We are going to switch into Combat Time for this. Please choose your schticks.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>