USNC vs The Shivans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Who wins?

Tzeentch._
Shivans from Freespace?

XanatosForever
^ My exact thoughts. If so, kudos to you. I have fond memories of blasting those extraterrestial ****wads through the void.

I can't recall if the Shivans shield technology was given any explanation, but it was clearly capable of taking heavy punishment. I'm also unsure of the scale of their larger warships, though I'm fairly certain the Lucifer might be larger than any ship the UNSC has.

cdtm
Originally posted by XanatosForever
^ My exact thoughts. If so, kudos to you. I have fond memories of blasting those extraterrestial ****wads through the void.

Yes, Freespace Shivans. big grin

I enjoyed it back in the day too, but I'm actually playing it again now, because of a bunch of modders at Hard Light Productions releasing a bunch of campaigns for it under an open source project.

As for the size of the Shivan ships: The Satahans Juggernaut is their biggest ship, and it's supposed to be six kilometer's in length, and I think four kilometer's top to bottom.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/SJ_Sathanas

And this is kind of a neat comparison of space ships in general, which includes the Sathanas:

http://www.merzo.net/10mpp.htm (View it in IE).

Those Shivan beam weapons were pretty powerful. The Lucifer rendered all life on Vasuda Prime uninhabitable after some hours of bombardment, and it had the weakest class of beam cannon. The Sathanas beam lasers were insanely overpowered by comparison, and they had an army of them. O_o

Tzeentch._
Well, as far as size, the UNSC's biggest ship is the Infinity which is approximately 5km long, so I assume that size-wise the two fleets seem to be equal.

I have absolutely no idea what firepower the Shivans are packing, though -I was like 10 when I played the games -so I can't really comment on who would win.

Great games though. I only played Freespace 1 and a few missions from Freespace 2 open source, but the original Descent games are the first games I ever played, and are some of my favorites.

XanatosForever
Freespace 1 was where I got all my time in, and I still remember what a rush it was to down my first Shivan with the basic loadout. I remember I'd always like to call in all my squadrons to fly by me before having everyone jump out. It was fun panning out and watching all the ships hit subspace in unison. That and them music...gods the music was grand.

Darth Truculent
Are we talking about space combat or ground fighting? If ground fighting, then SPARTAN-IIs win

XanatosForever
I don't know if the Shivans have ever been revealed with any capable ground forces.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.