Question about Nerve Agents

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Just a question to anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject. Could a nerve agent be presented into a water supply and contaminate that entire water supply, or would filtration systems destroy the agent, or would the agent be diluted and eradicated naturally as soon as it introduced with the water?

If so, what would happen if the nerve agent were enhanced to not dilute in oxygen?

dadudemon
Yes, Sarin is readily water-soluble. So is VX.

However, you'd have to have a crap-ton to make it active if you're planning on writing a story about nerve gas poisoning a local water supply. I mean....TONS and TONS of this stuff.'

You're better off poisoning something else so you don't have to deliver 10,000,000 tons of VX agent to a local water supply.

Lestov16
What if it had a LD50 of 1 nanogram?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Lestov16
What if it had a LD50 of 1 nanogram?

Then it would be even more effective to release it into the air.

I can't think of a reason to use water unless its a disease or something with a relatively long latency period that will ensure everyone gets exposed.

Lestov16
I'm trying to figure out the way to disperse it to the most people. I was going to make the antagonists release it into the Biscayne Aquifer, contaminating South Florida's water supply.

Omega Vision
I'm trying to figure out the way to disperse it to the most people. I was going to make the antagonists release it into the Biscayne Aquifer, contaminating South Florida's water supply.
Maybe instead of releasing it into the water find a way of spiking cigarettes with it.

Poisoning a water supply is like...literally one of the oldest tricks in the proverbial book.

Lord Lucien
I'm trying to figure out the way to disperse it to the most people. I was going to make the antagonists release it into the Biscayne Aquifer, contaminating South Florida's water supply. Glad I didn't stop reading there.

Lestov16
I'm disappointed that you didn't evil face

Lestov16
But is it feasible, if it had a ld50 of 1 nanogram and a long shelf life? Could it be used to contaminate a water supply?

Lestov16
What if it had a LD99 of a nanogram, was water-soluble, did not dilute or hydrolyze, and has a half-life of 8 weeks? Would it be released to everyone, or will filtration systems or hydrolysis destroy it?

Omega Vision
Lestov, do you think Tom Clancy ever asked an internet forum about the specs of a B-2 stealth bomber?

Edit: To clarify, I mean a general internet forum--not a forum set up for discussion between experts in particular fields.

Lestov16
IDK.

Anyway's, I would just like to know that if the agent is deadly at a nanogram and doesn't hydrolyze or oxidize, can it bypass water filtration systems and contaminate a water supply?

Digi

Digi
I had a comment, but it came off way too harsh. Good luck to you.

Omega Vision
Lestov, what I'm trying to tell you is that if you want to write convincingly about these things you have to do at least some research on your own.

I don't care for Tom Clancy, but I recognize that he does his technical research thoroughly and as such can write in his genre with authority.

Right now my workshop professor is combing the internet for a specific (and rare) model of shortwave radio so that he can take it apart, put it back together, and use it--all because one character in the story he's working on has that particular model of shortwave radio.

My point--if you're serious about writing you need to put more effort in it than simply posting questions on a forum and taking notes.

I'm not trying to be mean or to pontificate (I'm not yet at the point where I can--even with great effort--keep myself from giving officious advice when writing comes up), I'm trying to help you.
Originally posted by Digi
I had a comment, but it came off way too harsh. Good luck to you.
Lol, I know how you feel.

Ascendancy
Wait wait wait, this isn't what the S.E.A.L.s vs SAS thread was all about right?

Nietzschean
look up the 'Nakam' Group. They were jewish holocaust survivors who planned on killing millions by poisoning german water supplies.

maybe they can give you a rough idea of what it is you are looking for.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.