Phil Connors Vs 1408

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sadako of Girth
Phil Connors from Groundhog day books into another hotel..
this time at The Dolphin in NY. He is booked into Room 1408 in a bad bit of luck... He is awoken after an hour's sleep by The Carpenters instead of Sonny and Cher and the nightmare begins... Can Phil escape the torturous cycle that the room makes you experience? Would suicide work, given Connors' constantly going back to the start of the day on a reset..? Will the incarnation of Ned in the vent get him? Will ability to play Piano, read french and Ice sculpt be any help against that "Evil f**king room" aside from when it turns icey cold due to the possessed mercury switch thermostat...? What can the room do to snuff Phil finally...?

Who wins and how?

Sadako of Girth
Hold on... requesting move to MVF...

Impediment
Moved.

rudester
Phil connors would die over and over again, 1408 would win!!!

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Impediment
Moved.

Thanks Imp. You're a star...!

Robtard
Connors can't lose. Infinite lives. He might well be the deadliest combatant the MVF has ever seen. Like a McClane +1.

Lord Lucien
Give him a hundred years and Phil would start f*cking with the room's head.

the ninjak
Is this the Phil Connors after the film finished?
Or the Phil Connors before he arrived in the infamous town?

The reason I ask is because the room seemed to feed on your weaknesses.
And Phil was enlightened by the end of Groundhog day.

Sadako of Girth
Lets say for argument's sake that its him at the beginning, just to make it interesting...

LOL @ Lord Lucien...! Maybe so!

Indeed, Robtard...indeed...!!!

the ninjak
If it's Phil at the beginning he'll need a few years to figure it out.

Mr. Tibbs
Wouldn't that likely drive him bat shit crazy?

Sadako of Girth
Didn't Punxatauney for a while..?

Mr. Tibbs
I mean really crazy. Crazy like a fat woman on PMS.

Sadako of Girth
N01vThrQ40Q Like this?

Also:

PFPfmPMCiNc

Mr. Tibbs
No, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVooUHN7j4

BTW, how do you get the vid to post like you did?

Sadako of Girth
Take out everything up to and including the "=" sign from the link,
and then either side of it as you would spoilers, italics etc etc. smile

(You may notice that you have to make sure that there is no space between the [ and the / in the second part of the yt tag.
I just put it there so this would come out....otherwise everything between them disappears, if its not a linked vid.)

If you hit quote on my post with the vid, you'll see. smokin'

Hope this helps.

Mr. Tibbs
It did. Gracias.

Sadako of Girth
Cool. De Nada. smile

Mr. Tibbs
But as far as the thread goes, I think Phil is outclassed here.

Sadako of Girth
Fair play. but how so in your estimation?

Phil does learn well (eventually) and does have that infinite lives thang...how do you see the room coping with that?
And how would it make him more miserable that he was already?

Mr. Tibbs
Wait, does the room know about his infinite lives?

Sadako of Girth
On one hand, I would assume so, cause it seems to know pretty much everything else about the psyche of it's opponent...

On the other, I would suspect that it might not know anymore than Ned Ryerson or anybody else when the "the next" (same, repeated) day occurs.

Thats a toughie.

It might be reasonable to go with "The room learns it every new iteration of the day as it elapses"

the ninjak
I reckon the room would become aware of Phil's "gift" once Phil is aware of it.

Waking up everyday in the room refreshed the room is psychic in nature.
And knows everything Phil knows.

It's up to Phil to overcome the obstacle and adapt to his surroundings.
He has eternity to do it. And I believe he has what it takes to eventually overwhelm the room and beat it at its own game.
Even becoming its master.

Robtard
Only Phil was aware of the time relapse in Groundhog Day adn keep all previous memories, this is essentially his power-set.

the ninjak
Yet the room is aware of mental awarenesses the patron has.

But has no power over the day to day reset ability Phil has. Yet knows what he knows.

Phil can just keep going until he wins.

But how does one win?

Sadako of Girth
Maybe one of Phil's suicide attempts might involve burning the room out like the guy in the movie did...but the alt. ending suggests that the room wasn't entirely defeated after that point...it's a head scratcher alright...

the ninjak
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Maybe one of Phil's suicide attempts might involve burning the room out like the guy in the movie did...but the alt. ending suggests that the room wasn't entirely defeated after that point...it's a head scratcher alright...

Exactly. Just because Phil destroys everything doesn't mean he wins.

He has to beat the room on its own terms.

And we aren't aware of those terms.

Sadako of Girth
It seems to want to make the occupier dead, so their souls are collected...only thing is, Connors' seems to fal outside of that due to his consciousness being transferred into the new iteration of the day until his transformation is complete...now if that zenith entails beating the room this could be the ultimate chessmatch...how can it collect his soul?

the ninjak
It can't.....Phil can only get stronger.

But regardless of Phil defying time and space by restarting the past with his old memories. The room sees those memories and acts accordingly.

BIG QUESTION: What was the room?

Robtard
After an hour of hell, the operator would call Phil and tell him what's up, either A) relive the hour of horror over and over or B) Kill yourself.

While I'm inclined to believe Phil would kill himself at least a few times(as seen in GH Day), it wouldn't matter. He'd get a reset at the start of the new day/cycle.

It's only a matter of time before he's had enough, realizes the room is just a giant supernatural mind****, killing himself doesn't matter and burns the whole thing down, as Mike did. Which would be a victory(as it was for Mike) and end Phil's time-relapse.

the ninjak
Forgive if I'm wrong but I thought Mike failed regardless of burning the room down.

Since when does suicide equal escape?......It's been too long since I've seen this movie. sad

Robtard
Originally posted by the ninjak
Forgive if I'm wrong but I thought Mike failed regardless of burning the room down.

Since when does suicide equal escape?......It's been too long since I've seen this movie. sad

Pretty sure it ended with Mike at home back together with his wife listening to the recording of Mike and the daughter? There is an alt ending where he's dead, but did defeat the room via fire.

After the 60minutes is up, the operator calls the tenant and gives him/her the ultimatum, relieving the hour of hell or suicide, which I believe is how the room collects souls.

the ninjak
Then I'm sweet for Phil Connors first win in the MvF tourneys. big grin

I wonder how far we can push Phil???

I think I'm gonna make a thread.

Mindset
Phil drives the room insane and it kills itself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.